PDA

View Full Version : Gas block to barrel fitment

03-26-11, 20:22
I finally decided to test fit some pieces together and noticed that my (set screw) Vltor .625 gas block slipped rather easily onto my DD LW barrel, way too easily. Now if I remember correctly, my other Vltor/DD setup had some resistance going down. I don't have a mic so I can't give you the exact dimensions.
Will this affect a good gas seal?

MistWolf
03-26-11, 22:19
It's possible, depending on how sloppy the fit is. However, the set screws at the bottom will pull the gas block down & help with sealing

03-27-11, 05:06
It's possible, depending on how sloppy the fit is. However, the set screws at the bottom will pull the gas block down & help with sealing

There isn't any noticeable wiggle that I can detect with my bare hands so it might be good to go. I was concerned because the block slips on easily and I can spin it around with my finger with no effort at all.

bkb0000
03-27-11, 05:11
RTV sealant. available at your local auto parts supplier.

if its the set screw variety, i wouldnt worry about it unless you have a problem once properly assembled. as misty said, it'll tighten up a lot once you tighten it down.

03-27-11, 07:06
Thanks guys. I'll advise once everything gets assembled and I give her a run.

tactical1
03-27-11, 08:16
Depending on your application for the rifle,

Rocksett might also be an option. Used by KAC and ACC

http://www.amazon.com/Flexbar-Rocksett-2-OZ/dp/B001C1D800

MistWolf
03-27-11, 18:38
If you use some kind of sealant, be very careful to keep it out of the gas port of the barrel & block

bkb0000
03-27-11, 18:46
If you use some kind of sealant, be very careful to keep it out of the gas port of the barrel & block

yea.. and to state the obvious (hopefully), i was kidding about the RTV sealant. i wouldn't use a sealant- just make sure you place it correctly, and tighten it down good. it WILL leak at first, but then any little cracks will quickly fill up with carbon and self-seal.

MistWolf
03-27-11, 20:50
yea..i was kidding about the RTV sealant...

WHEW! Thanks for clearing that up, I was a bit worried there! Since you have greater experience with ARs than I do, I was a bit reluctant to challenge the use of RTV. Thought maybe you knew something or had some trick I didn't