PDA

View Full Version : New 45 cal Cougar!

ShipWreck
03-26-11, 21:01
Picked up a 45 caliber Stoeger Cougar today... It's essentially a Beretta Cougar... Beretta owns Stoeger, and they sold the design and machinery to them.

I picked it up for $424 before tax and before discount, but as a probation officer, I qualified for the 5% LEO discount. It was like $401 - and $430 with tax after that.

I brought it home and changed the spring out for a D spring, and also changed out the grips for some new rubber Pearce Grips I bought a few months back.

I did notice that the stock spring was like 1/2 way between a factory 92FS spring and a "D" spring. It was just 2 coils longer than a "D" spring, instead of 4.

I did have an extra Beretta 92 lanyard loop, but the inside was longer than the flat piece they use on the Stoeger - so I had to leave the factory part in.

Anyway, great gun - can't wait to go shoot it soon.

Only pic I have so far:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/cougar1.jpg

memphisjim
03-26-11, 21:26
Isn't the action the same as those px4 storm things?

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-26-11, 21:51
Isn't the action the same as those px4 storm things?

Yes, its a Stoner design. They point like shit! My wifes department had them and then they upgraded to the PX what ever pice of crap.

Glad you like the gun man

ShipWreck
03-26-11, 21:59
Gee, someone's not biased :D

Yes, the cougar came out in the 1990s - it was Berettas first rotating design before the PX4. I actually had one in 9mm when they VERY first came out in the mid 90's. The slide was blue steel instead of bruniton. Very nice gun.

Well, now I have had some time to play with it since my son is in bed now...

I will say that while I haven't fired the gun yet, it really balances fantastically.

One of the reasons I like the 92FS so much is the balance and feel of the gun, in a 1 handed grip - arm out stretched... The undercut trigger guard and rubber grips make it feel fantastic...

The back strap of the Cougar doesn't have the "hump" of the 92's backstrap. But, it balances fantastically. If I walk around with the gun in 1 hand, gun pointed out - I feel as comfortable with it as my 92FS.

I do wish it had a longer sight radius and longer barrel - as in general, I shoot better with such guns. But, we'll see how I do.

I also like the grip... When I bought an Hk USPc45 after owning a HK USPc 9mm, the extra length of the grip (front to back ) to accommodate the bigger cartridge made the grip no longer comfortable for my small hands... I have seen this be an issue for me in many guns when I try the exact same model in 45 after liking the 9mm version...

What I like about the cougar is that it doesn't exceed the size that I find comfortable. It still fits my hands. And once I got the rubber grips on, it just sticks to your hand.

Depending on how I actually shoot this, I may make this my night stand gun. I have been wanting a 45 for a home defense gun, but wasn't comfortable with a 1911 when I am 1/2 asleep. Once upon a time, all I shot were 1911s. But I've had so many different guns with different trigger actions that the 1911 manual of arms is no longer second nature...

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-26-11, 22:07
Its not a bad looking gun just dont like how it points. I hate everything about the redesigned one however.

opmike
03-26-11, 22:18
Interesting.

I've not encountered any "pointability" issues with either the Cougar or PX4 line.

ShipWreck
03-26-11, 22:18
Well, I like how it points. Now I just gotta see how it shoots.

My only concern is that historically, I shoot better with guns aving a long sight radius. I've had a USP compact, Glock 26, P99c and a few other smaller guns before. Then again, my P2000 shot VERY accurately for me for the size. So, we'll see.

But pointing, I am VERY impressed...

skyugo
03-27-11, 02:35
is this one of the rotary designs that involves a mallet for malf clearance? :confused:

memphisjim
03-27-11, 02:48
i only knew one person with a couger (40s&w)
wasnt the most reliable gun but hey my sample size is 1

JonInWA
03-27-11, 07:37
Shipwreck, congratulations on your Cougar. Before using it for self defense, I'd strongly suggest the following: First, use a grease (such as TW25B) for the barrel locking lugs, cam tooth and the corresponding track in the slide, as well as on the exterior portion of the barrel that receives the brunt of the metal-on-metal torquing force during the barrel's rotation (the portion from the back of the lugs to the breach), as well as on the slide and receiver rails.

The ergonomics of the Cougar are excellent-basically the same as those on the SIG-Sauer P225, and Stoeger has improved the rounding at the rear of the slide rail area to preclude slide bite.

While I was ultimately disappointed in the reliability of my .357 caliber 8357 Cougar, that may have been a limitation of that caliber in the Cougar platform. LAPD authorized (and may still) the same gun (in its Beretta 8045 incarnation) as yours, albeit with a slightly longer barrel that Beretta produced specifically for LAPD officer purchase.

I would also run at least 500-1000 rounds through this gun prior to trusting it as a carry/defensive firearm.

Best, Jon

Timbonez
03-27-11, 08:35
Picked up a 45 caliber Stoeger Cougar today... It's essentially a Beretta Cougar... Beretta owns Stoeger, and they sold the design and machinery to them.

I picked it up for $424 before tax and before discount, but as a probation officer, I qualified for the 5% LEO discount. It was like $401 - and $430 with tax after that.

I brought it home and changed the spring out for a D spring, and also changed out the grips for some new rubber Pearce Grips I bought a few months back.

I did notice that the stock spring was like 1/2 way between a factory 92FS spring and a "D" spring. It was just 2 coils longer than a "D" spring, instead of 4.

I did have an extra Beretta 92 lanyard loop, but the inside was longer than the flat piece they use on the Stoeger - so I had to leave the factory part in.

Anyway, great gun - can't wait to go shoot it soon.

Only pic I have so far:

I didn't realize the Cougars used the same hammer spring as the 90-series. I guess that makes sense since they're Beretta designs. That's a good deal you got there, Shipwreck. Let us know how it shoots.

ShipWreck
03-27-11, 08:50
I didn't realize the Cougars used the same hammer spring as the 90-series. I guess that makes sense since they're Beretta designs. That's a good deal you got there, Shipwreck. Let us know how it shoots.

Yea, a few of the parts are actually interchangeable. I may install a skeletonized 92 hammer on it later...

I bought it because I know how to strip the 92FS frame already - and its the same concept on the Cougar, essentially - for the frame itself.

ShipWreck
03-27-11, 08:52
Thanks for the tips, JoninWa :) - I've previously owned a PX4 and even a 9mm Beretta Cougar in the 1990s when they VERY first came out (I was the first one in this area with one). So, I'm pretty familiar with the particulars.

I would have liked a Beretta marked model - but I'm not big on used guns. And, the Stoeger is essentially the same gun, and I got it for a great price.

JonInWA
03-27-11, 10:15
Since it's made on the same machinery, assuming materials, manufacture, quality control and parts quality are identical to the previously manufactured Beretta Cougars, and given that Stoeger is a subsidiary of Beretta, I'll go as far as to say that the Stoeger manufactured/rollmarked Cougars ARE the same as the previous Beretta manufactured/rollmarked Cougars.

The only hiccup that I've picked up so far regarding Stoeger manufacture has had to do with how well the sights are fitted, especially the front sight; there have been reports of loose/sloppily fitted front sights on the Stoeger Cougars as I recall-and this may well have been rectified, as the last I heard of it was early in the Stoeger assumption of Cougar production.

Best, Jon

ShipWreck
03-27-11, 15:32
Well - took it to the range and put 200 FMJ rounds and 16 JHP Gold dots... The results were freaky deaky :) :)

Gun worked 100% - no jams or issues at all in that respect. And, the recoil was less than a 5" stainless 1911!

However - rounds were hitting 1-2 inches low, and 1-2 inches right at 7 yards... Sometimes only low, or only right.... I adjusted my trigger finger and grip, but to no avail...

I then tried shooting 1 handed... Gun was dead on! I then tried shooting a couple of mags with double action each and every shot... No low and left issues at all!!!

I then shot the gun at 15 yards - the furthest distance at this indoor range... I did great. Even stacked several rounds on top of each other at the max distance... Very surprised...

Finally, at 7 yards, the rounds started working its way to the center at 7 yards... I am sure getting familiar with the gun was part of it, but part of itw as the break in, IMHO... I guess as the parts settled in, the rounds started hitting where the sights were aimed at...

Even with the less recoil, as I approach 200 rounds of 45, my hands start aren't as steady as it was when I started...

I want to take the gun out one more time to get a bit more consistent with it, and then it may become my night stand gun...