PDA

View Full Version : Which target pistol?

Carniemedic
03-27-11, 10:21
I have been looking into a high end target pistol in 9mm, and I would like your input before I drop 2000+ on one. There are so many choices, and it痴 hard to choose one. I like the H&K P30, SIG 226, or a Glock 17, but I知 not a LEO or in the military any more. I知 just a Firemedic that love to shoot, so I知 looking for a match grade pistol. Does anyone have experience with a Pardini GT9 or a Sig X-Five or X-Six, and which do you think is the best gun for the money?

operator81
03-27-11, 10:29
The most accurate "Target" pistols I've seen were handmade by a very old gunsmith friend on Caspian 1911 slides and frames in .45 and 38 Special. I doubt he had more than $2000 but then again he did the work himself. The Sig P210 I've heard is quite accurate. Were it me, I'd either get a Glock 17L with a fit Bar-Sto barrel, some trigger work and target sights or a target grade 1911. If you're not set on a centerfire cartridge the .22 Hammerli are quite accurate.

Exiledviking
03-27-11, 10:32
Check out the S&W Performance Center 952. I've had 56 different handguns over years and my 952 is the most accurate pistol I've fired. Don't know about the Pardini, but I have shot the X-five. Nice pistol, but I'll keep my 952. The trigger on my 952 is a step above. With SIG USA's quality issues, don't know if that has affected the X-fives. Plus the S&W is made here in the US and their customer service is among the very best should you ever need it.

duece71
03-27-11, 11:22
Colt has their "Special Combat Government" which is a fine pistol. I have shot mine (range only) and it has performed flawlessly. It has the Bomar (Kensight) rear adjustable target sight and plain ramped front sight. I have not run it hard or anything but I have heard of people using them in IPSC or IDPA matches. Due to the rear target sight, IDPA might not work. Colt also offers the SCG with Novak night sights if you wish to go in that direction. I paid $1900 out the door for mine. It is a 2 tone, nickel frame/Carbon steel slide gun.
Good luck!

graffex
03-27-11, 11:32
What type of target shooting? I'm assuming bulls eye. Best bet is custom made 1911's

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/bullcon.htm

http://www.derrprecision.com/

opmike
03-27-11, 11:37
You're going to need to give some more details on what type of shooting you're going to be doing. What are your criteria?

"Target shooting" is too vague.

Carniemedic
03-27-11, 12:53
Paper tragets shooting to a max range of 50 yds. Again I'm no expert, but I like to shoot. I go to a indoor range sometimes, but I also own land in the boonies where I can shoot out to a range of 150 yards. I have pistols and rifles that are good, but I would like a true match grade wepon in case one day I would like to tryout competitive pistol shooting.

Cesiumsponge
03-27-11, 14:07
What level of competition and what type of competition? Walther, Hammerli, Anschutz, and Feinwerkbau make some of the finest olympic-level competition rifles and handguns, but its also a very specialized form of competition shooting. They're usually very different from "traditional" shooting so that might not be what you're looking for. Custom 1911's seem to be the most popular type of accurized handgun for general competition use. You'll find them from mildly tuned to full race gun configurations.

graffex
03-27-11, 14:11
Paper tragets shooting to a max range of 50 yds. Again I'm no expert, but I like to shoot. I go to a indoor range sometimes, but I also own land in the boonies where I can shoot out to a range of 150 yards. I have pistols and rifles that are good, but I would like a true match grade wepon in case one day I would like to tryout competitive pistol shooting.

You want an accurate paper slayer. Any high-end 1911 pistols smith can give you what you need. Might even want to look at Les-Baer for a factory built accurate paper slayer.

http://www.lesbaer.com/

Baer 1911 P.P.C. Open Class
http://www.lesbaer.com/images/PPC-Open-Class.jpg

okie john
03-27-11, 14:17
...I would like a true match grade wepon in case one day I would like to tryout competitive pistol shooting.

Handguns are more accurate than all but a few master-class shooters. The best gun for a particular game is the one built with the rules of that game in mind. The piece built to help you win bullseye matches at Camp Perry will be a significant handicap in metallic silhouette or IDPA, and so on.

Once you decide what game interests you, we can help you more.

Okie John

Seraph
03-27-11, 15:02
SIG P210.

eternal24k
03-27-11, 16:32
Sig X-5 (I would get a stainless frame model) would be my first choice.
High end 1911s are also good, but many 1911s need some tweaking and are higher maintenance.
I have always wanted a S&W 952 as well...