PDA

View Full Version : complete rifle or kit?

kgj1119
08-10-06, 16:34
I want to purchase a new rifle. Is it cheaper to buy a complete rifle, or do I buy a kit, and a lower and build it my self? Suggestions on rifles and parts would be great. Want a 5.56 with a 16" bbl, 1x7, or 1x9. Nothing fancy, will be used as a patrol rifle.

jmart
08-10-06, 18:02
Kits are naturally cheaper. If you stay within a single mfg's product line it's cheaper to but the upper and lower separately than to buy a complete rifle.

My advice -- get a quality lower, either assembled or in kit form. Mate it with a BCM upper and one of their LMT or CMT BCGs.

Neeglik
08-10-06, 18:50
My advice is to buy a quality complete lower w/o buttstock. Then watch the Equipment Exchange Forum on AR15.com. Get the remaining pieces there that fit your needs. Give it a few days and you'll see just about every item imaginable come through (many times in new or like-new condition) at some pretty good prices!!!

M4arc
08-10-06, 18:50
My first choice would be to purchase a complete, NIB, Colt 6920.

If you can't find one then I would suggest either a LMT upper and lower half or an LMT lower and a BCM upper receiver.

Contact Bravo Company here on the boards if you're interested in one of his uppers and see Denny about either a LMT lower or one of his lowers.

Those choices are top of the line in my opinion.

Diz
08-12-06, 15:38
Any reasonably competent amatuer gunsmith can build one of these things, and if you use good parts it will even run. Ditto on the BCM/CMT upper, with a CMT MPI BCG. You now have the equivalent to a Colt. Add to that a GTS/CMT lower and parts kit, buttstock and rail of your choice and you are in bidness. This build with a MI #17 rail, Vltor modstock, MI BUIS would run about $1100.00. A little bit more than some kits but I believe this is about the best stock M-4 build you can make. A nice EOTech for around $425.00. Sling, Blue Force, Specter, etc. $25.00-$35.00. Tac light w/mount, Surefire, Pentagon, etc. $175.00-$250.00. VFG, $30.00-$60.00. Complete package: $1800.00+
You might notice that a complete Colt rifle is not much higher than the build I recommend. True, but it's tough to get a 14.5" bbl; most of their builds are 16" bbls. And I personally don't care for their oversized pins, reciever blocks, neutered bolt carriers, etc. YMMV.

dubb-1
08-12-06, 16:14
Any reasonably competent amatuer gunsmith can build one of these things, and if you use good parts it will even run.

Classic!:p

ChromeLined
08-12-06, 18:20
Check out stag arms complete kits for $629 includes the complet upper thats a flat top with BUIS,M4 handguards and a 16" M4 profile 1x9 chrome lined barrel and all the parts minus the lower.With a $100 or cheaper forged stag lower thats machined by CMT you can build a field gragde rifle for like $755.

C4IGrant
08-12-06, 18:54
Good advice by all. I much prefer to build my own weapons from the group up because that way I know exactly what is in them!

So here is my list of components for a high quality/reliable weapon:

BCM upper (1st choice) LMT upper
LMT lower (1st choice) Stag/GTS/Noveske lower
VLTOR or Magpul CTR stock
CMT 6 Position Receiver Extension
ISMI CS buffer spring
CMT H2 buffer
CMT M16 BCG w/MP tested bolt (make sure it is properly staked)
TROY BUIS (1st choice) or ARMS #40L-SP
CMT CH
PRI Military Latch
Hand guards (rail systems) are subjective so I won't go into that

The above weapon is better than any 6920 IMHO as you are using better components for less money.

C4

ChromeLined
08-12-06, 19:28
I love CMT stuff great quality at a great price.eaglefirearms in colorado uses alot of their parts that go nameless to offer a cheaper price.:D

Diz
08-12-06, 20:31
Firearms dealer/gunsmith comment about us mere amatuers building these weapons: "classic" x 2.

svtar15
08-14-06, 14:51
Building a kit is generally cheaper. We sell a base kit for $460, and you can find stripped lowers for around 125. Check the website for a downloadable pdf catalog of our products. Call me if you have any questions. 859 745 1757