PDA

View Full Version : New M&P9 ran flawlessly through its first 200 rounds

iCarbine
03-27-11, 12:11
I got my new M&P9 to the range today and it flew through 200 rounds of WWB 115 gr FMJ with no problems, as expected.

I'm very pleased with the trigger thanks to APEX Tactical and G&R Tactical.

At 7 yards, POA/POI was perfect for elevation and just off to the left. I drifted the rear sight to the right and my shots where then spot on. The set screw never moved while firing. I was able to keep my groups palm-sized with relatively, for me, quick recovery.

The gun felt good in my hands and the gun jumped back on target quickly. I received a warning to slow down from the range officer, although I don't think I was shooting that fast. I ran an 8 second FASTest from the ready with a sloppy 4 second reload because I had to pick the mag up off the bench since I don't have carry gear yet. My split times averaged .74 and I felt I could have shot quicker, especially on the body shots.

From slide lock, a full magazine dropped the slide upon full seating everytime so I had to stop and NOT rack the slide to chamber a fresh round, which I think slowed me down a hair since it is a new phenomenon to me. I'll continue to monitor this over the next few 100 rounds. Although I should continue to rack the slide regardless of what happens.

The gun ran fine stong-hand only as well as weak-hand only. I also ran a few rounds with the gun canted 90 degrees to the right and left with no problems.

I am very pleased and look forward to a few 100 more rounds before I start function testing with 124 +P Gold Dots. Honestly, I've never been this excited about a gun and I'm itching to finish my transtion process from the 1911 to this M&P. Thanks to everyone at M4C for your advice and experience.

MP9
03-27-11, 13:48
Congrats..

I have a mp9, stock trigger... it runs flawlessly.. I have almost 4000 rounds and 0 issue...It shoots smooth.. I like it more than my g19 gen4.

I use the mp for idpa and sometimes for uspsa.

and I think many people in the forum like the mp9 too.

Nav195
03-27-11, 19:51
I had a really stiff trigger pull. It lightened up after about 1000 rounds. I'll get an apex kit eventually. But mine has over 2500 without any kind of malfunction. This is my go to pistol.

sobiloff
03-27-11, 23:24
Ditto to the OP, except it was last weekend for me (and I don't have any Apex goodies yet).

I did have a couple of instances where the slide released after inserting a new mag but it didn't go forward very far. It didn't seem to have enough power behind it to strip the 147gr FMJ out of the magazine. A light tap on the back of the slide and it would go the rest of the way into battery, though.

I'm chalking that up to being a new gun and I bet as I work on my mag insertion technique it'll get better.

My pistol has a "born on" date from early February of this year, so it's pretty fresh. The trigger feels a little better than an older .40 I shot a few months ago, but I haven't stripped it down yet to see if mine has the MA plunger or not.

Steve S.
03-28-11, 00:54
I'm about to finish up a 2k round test I've been doing. It's just for myself and seeing if the pistol will run. I wanted to do this for peace of mind after installing the Apex DCAEK kit.

I'm not cleaning it during this period of time either - and shooting a variety of loads (NO reloads though).

I've got about 400 rounds left in my mini test, and I've had no malfunctions or stoppages. Hoping to finish it up this coming weekend.

I'm very suprised at this - considering I've been carrying this gun and occasionally use it for kydex work. Between the residue, kydex dust, dust/lint from carrying, and dust/dirt from the shop - it's getting pretty nasty inside.

I understand SW uses a design that makes the gun "self cleaning" to some extent through gaps in the rail / frame. I thought this to be marketing hype - but I feel the gun should be much dirtier than it is at this point. I lubed it up well at the start of this test - and haven't lubed/cleaned/touched anything yet.

Very impressed so far...

blackscot
03-28-11, 06:26
My wife's new M&P9 now has almost 400 rounds with zero malfs.

She is hoping the trigger will get less spongy over time. My G19 breaks a lot more crisply, but it has nearly 7K rounds.

She has a Blade Tech DOH for it on order (hopefully to arrive this week), and might do something with the sights eventually. Otherwise it is GTG.

firstimpuslse
03-28-11, 11:38
Ditto to the OP, except it was last weekend for me (and I don't have any Apex goodies yet).

I did have a couple of instances where the slide released after inserting a new mag but it didn't go forward very far. It didn't seem to have enough power behind it to strip the 147gr FMJ out of the magazine. A light tap on the back of the slide and it would go the rest of the way into battery, though.

I'm chalking that up to being a new gun and I bet as I work on my mag insertion technique it'll get better.

It was my understanding that the M&P was designed to chamber a round when the magazine is inserted at the right angle.

But yeah, probably shouldnt be out of battery, probably just needs to break in

sobiloff
03-28-11, 12:18
It was my understanding that the M&P was designed to chamber a round when the magazine is inserted at the right angle.

Don't get me wrong--I love the idea since it saves a step when performing an emergency reload. However, if I'm going to rely on it, it has to be dead nutz reliable, otherwise I'll go back to manually cycling the slide. I think I can get it to be reliable with some more break-in and some refinement of my magazine seating technique, but I won't cry if that doesn't work and I have to continue manually cycling the slide.

Magsz
03-28-11, 12:20

This is not a design feature, it is a bug but it is deemed an acceptable bug as all auto loaders do this. Some do it easier than others.

Do NOT rely on it as it does not always happen. Be aware of what your weapon is doing and work with it accordingly.

iCarbine
03-28-11, 13:46
DO NOT rely on it as it does not always happen. Be aware of what your weapon is doing and work with it accordingly.

I fully agree. My 1911 has never done this, so it was new to me. I will just have to retrain my brain to pay attention to what the gun is doing in this regard.

JeffWard
03-28-11, 14:03
My M&P Pro is well past 20,000 rounds at this point as my USPSA Production gun. I sent it to Dan Burwell for a trigger-job at 200 rounds which has been exceptional. New springs, new strikers, new mag guts... I had a few failures to extract in the first 1000 rounds, that was directly attributable to a burr on the bottom lip of the chamber that I got buffed out. Since then, I can honestly say the only issues I've had is with my own out of spec reloads. Factory ammo has been 100%. If I do my part to check my rounds, it does it's part to eat them.

I've converted at least 3 guys away from Glocks after shooting my M&P. They're that good.

Jeff

Steve S.
03-28-11, 23:09

I've actually heard the opposite. I understand it caused SW to lose some Law Enforcement contracts. Or that's the rumor.

blackscot
03-29-11, 06:27
This is not a design feature, it is a bug but it is deemed an acceptable bug as all auto loaders do this. Some do it easier than others.

Do NOT rely on it as it does not always happen. Be aware of what your weapon is doing and work with it accordingly.

Ditto -- the term is "slingshotting", and is a common phenomenon with many semi-auto designs and nothing particular to M&P's.

Whether it happens or not probably depends mostly on how forcefully you seat the mag, as well as how new/stiff the slide-lock lever is (and possibly some other factors I'm failing to think of).

I've had dozens of different pistols over 25 years that would slingshot to varying degrees. Currently, my wife's new (< 400 rounds) M&P will do it sometimes but not always. Conversely, my ~7K round G19 usually does it, but not always.

If the gun slingshots, just re-attain your grip and resume shooting. Always be prepared, however, for it to not slingshot and thereby require hitting the slide-lock lever before doing anything else.

KTR03
03-29-11, 06:48
Disagee with the above post. If the slide goes into battery when the magazine is inserted you would be well advised to rack the slide again to ensure a round actully fed. I've seen several instances where a round did not feed, only to have the officer get a rather loud "click" when he reengaged the target (all on the range).|

D

TwoSqueeze
03-29-11, 07:16
As it was explained to me by Ken Hackathorn, the auto forward of the slide is nothing new and was not built in by S&W. It is simply a result of having the backstrap retention pin stick out of the bottom of the grip. He said that it relates to hitting the butt of the gun at the right angle while inserting the magazine. This causes the light polymer frame to jolt forward releasing the pressure on the slide lock lever and allowing the slide to return to battery. However as stated before this can be problematic two fold.

1) You count on it happening everytime and when it doesn't you end up looking like a monkey ****ing a football. or
2) It auto forwards early and fails to pick up a new round (see monkey ****ing a football above)

Cheers,
-TS

ETA: Grant hit it on the head that it is no unique to the M&P, just more common. Forgot to add that originally.

NeoNeanderthal
03-29-11, 08:42
At 7 yards, POA/POI was perfect for elevation and just off to the left. I drifted the rear sight to the right and my shots where then spot on. The set screw never moved while firing. I was able to keep my groups palm-sized with relatively, for me, quick recovery.

When you say you "drifted the sight to the right" what exactly does that involve? I'm not a gun smith but my m&p shoots slightly left as well, after triple checking my stance, and trigger pull + letting a half dozen other people shoot it with the same results. Im ready to do a quick fix.

iCarbine
03-29-11, 09:42
Drifting the rear sight is easy. Loosen the set screw and use a brass punch (to avoid marring the finish) and light hammer to tap the sight on the opposite side that you want the sight to move. Then tighten the set screw and check your POI. When adjusting a rear sight, you move the sight in the same direction that you want your POI to move. In this case, since we need our POI to move to the right we tap the left side of the sight in order to move it to the right.

My set screw had a tiny bit of red threadlock already and did not budge after resuming firing.

C4IGrant
03-29-11, 09:55

Incorrect. Auto forwarding was never designed into the gun. It happens with ALL pistols that have a steel slide and a polymer frame. Some guns do it more than others.

C4

blackscot
03-29-11, 11:35
Disagee with the above post......

.......I've seen several instances where a round did not feed......

My bad -- failed to mention this as also being a possibility. :agree:

Although my G19 has always fed whenever it slingshotted, not all guns that slingshot will always feed.

Also though, it's not just polymer-framed guns -- I've had lots of 1911's that would do it too.

Lastly just to be clear, I'm not "advocating" slingshotting or asserting it to be a good thing. As others have amply pointed out, it creates a source of uncertainty as to how the gun is functioning. I'm not sure how to avoid it other than to soft-hand your reloads, as long as you can still be certain to seat the mag fully. Otherwise, slingshotting probably needs to always be anticipated.

Hope this discussion hasn't hikacked the thread......:sad:

iCarbine
03-29-11, 12:10
Hope this discussion hasn't hikacked the thread......:sad:

Not at all. I'm glad to hear what others have experienced. I never have before so that's why I was sure to include it in the OP.

I believe I will just force myself to rack the slide no matter what. One round on the ground is better than no round in the chamber.

firstimpuslse
03-29-11, 13:37
haha well now I know :)

MP9
03-29-11, 13:47
Usually when I use any 9mm FMJ cheap and insert the mag it auto forward the slide, sometimes do not...

but the other day I was at the range and use some WWB HP 147 gr and it didnt happened, it always stuck so I have to rack the slide...

Steve S.
03-29-11, 21:07
Usually when I use any 9mm FMJ cheap and insert the mag it auto forward the slide, sometimes do not...

but the other day I was at the range and use some WWB HP 147 gr and it didnt happened, it always stuck so I have to rack the slide...

It was more likely that you didn't insert the mag similar to before. The angle you slap the mag in would be a much more likely explanation than ammo choice as to why it didn't auto forward.