PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Free float Two Piece Handguard

hals1
03-27-11, 23:03
I realize this has been beat to death, but not quite what I need to know.
I have a BCM 20" rifle. I am looking to put a free float hand guard on it for maximum accuracy with a sling or bipod. I'm hoping to make a varmint rifle out of it. Maybe zombies at long range if required.
I would like to get a two piece so I don't have to remove the fsb and barrel.
I know Midwest makes one, but I would need to cut off the delta ring. Besides I don't want rails all around, got no use for them except a light and bipod. To go back to original, I would have to remove the fsb and barrel to replace the delta ring. The Vltor CASV doesn't have useless rail sections and apparently doesn't require anything to be cut off so should be easily reversible but doesn't come in rifle length.
Will the Vltor CASV midlength work on a rifle. I don't see why not but it might be ugly. Wish I knew how to photoshop the setup.
Is there an alternative I missed? Weight is a minor consideration but is a minor factor.

Thanks for your patience and attention.

Hal

graffex
03-28-11, 01:26
http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j401/graffex84/myweapon.jpg

Haha. Might be a little dangerous.

Iraqgunz
03-28-11, 01:45
What is a "varmint" gun and what does it do? What type of optics and ammuntion are you using?

Is it possible that you really don't need a free floating rail? I only ask because when I was in Iraq the second time I had an M16A2 that I converted to an A4 with flattop and KAC rail. I topped it off with a 4x32 ACOG and it was pretty effective even with M855.

As for the graphic that is depicted above. I would ABSOLUTELY NOT run a weapon depicted like that. Aside from the potential of burning your hand you risk damage to the tube and thereby making your weapon USELESS.

I realize this has been beat to death, but not quite what I need to know.
I have a BCM 20" rifle. I am looking to put a free float hand guard on it for maximum accuracy with a sling or bipod. I'm hoping to make a varmint rifle out of it. Maybe zombies at long range if required.
I would like to get a two piece so I don't have to remove the fsb and barrel.
I know Midwest makes one, but I would need to cut off the delta ring. Besides I don't want rails all around, got no use for them except a light and bipod. To go back to original, I would have to remove the fsb and barrel to replace the delta ring. The Vltor CASV doesn't have useless rail sections and apparently doesn't require anything to be cut off so should be easily reversible but doesn't come in rifle length.
Will the Vltor CASV midlength work on a rifle. I don't see why not but it might be ugly. Wish I knew how to photoshop the setup.
Is there an alternative I missed? Weight is a minor consideration but is a minor factor.

Thanks for your patience and attention.

Hal

bkb0000
03-28-11, 01:49
no.. you can't put a midlength on a rifle. your gas tube would be exposed, and that's unacceptable, even for a varmint gun.

the DD omega requires no modification to the gun, is two piece, isn't overly heavy, and free-floats the barrel... i think that's your answer.

graffex
03-28-11, 11:35
no.. you can't put a midlength on a rifle. your gas tube would be exposed, and that's unacceptable, even for a varmint gun.

the DD omega requires no modification to the gun, is two piece, isn't overly heavy, and free-floats the barrel... i think that's your answer.

That probably be your best bet.

MistWolf
03-28-11, 16:01
If it's a varmint rifle, nothing is lost by cutting down the FSB. This would open up choices of handguards and how much rail estate you install

opmike
03-28-11, 17:26
I know of no rifle length, two piece, free-float rail system that uses detachable rail sections.

If you want to keep this simple, and have it be a drop in affair, the Daniel Defense unit is probably the best option.

hals1
03-28-11, 20:53
Yeah. I hadn't thought about the gas tube until I saw the graffex picture.
Damn. I don't want a quad rail!
Iraqgunz: I am thinking a prairie dog gun with 50-55gr blitz kings or TNTs. For bigger things XM855s or Prvi match.
Maybe I'll get the Vltor for my middie and get rid of the rifle.
First I'll see which one shoots best.
Whose free float tubes should I look at if I go that route instead of the two piece? Who is adequate to do the install? G&R? Adco?

bkb0000
03-28-11, 21:10
Iraqgunz: I am thinking a prairie dog gun with 50-55gr blitz kings or TNTs. For bigger things XM855s or Prvi match.
Whose free float tubes should I look at if I go that route instead of the two piece? Who is adequate to do the install? G&R? Adco?

if all you want is a tube, and you don't want the ability to attach anything, then you can get away with a $50 Young tube, for 'doggin.

if you at least want the ability to attach rails at some point, i'd recommend the vtac. easily my favorite "in between" handguard. floats your barrel, fairly light, not expensive, and still gives you the option.

Iraqgunz
03-28-11, 21:41
Here is one option.Cut the FSB and shave it. Buy a VTAC Extreme Rail 13" and then have installed.

You will then have a rail w/o all the hoopla, you can add a front sight and rail sections where you want.

You will also have a free floating rail and the ability to mount optics.

hals1
03-28-11, 21:57
if all you want is a tube, and you don't want the ability to attach anything, then you can get away with a $50 Young tube, for 'doggin.

if you at least want the ability to attach rails at some point, i'd recommend the vtac. easily my favorite "in between" handguard. floats your barrel, fairly light, not expensive, and still gives you the option.

Young tube? Never heard of it. Reference? I really think a Vltor CASV rifle length is what I want, but they don't make it.
Thanks

Iraqgunz
03-28-11, 23:12
Is there are reason you are set on the CASV and hesitant to have a VTAC installed?

Young tube? Never heard of it. Reference? I really think a Vltor CASV rifle length is what I want, but they don't make it.
Thanks

bkb0000
03-28-11, 23:33
Thanks

well it looks like Young ain't selling their version anymore, but here's almost the exact same thing by YHM for $47... http://newfrontierarmory.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=378&zenid=fo6l0mnmtt6ru0j7bj2rb3dv67

you're not gonna get any cool point, though. :laugh:

hals1
03-29-11, 09:35
The reason I like the CASV is I don't have to do any mod on the upper. There aren't any local smiths that I would trust to mount a scope, much less work on an AR. The way things are looking though, I might bite the bullet, get the tools and go with a TRX. I am not comfortable with pulling the front sight base/gas block, but I've done things I'm not comfortable with before.
Anybody out there I could send it off to that is competent, quick and affordable (I know, conflicting requirements)? Does G&R do that? I would have to balance that against the cost of a barrel nut wrench, an upper holding block and a decent vise. Scratch the vise, I need that anyway.

LMTRocks
03-29-11, 10:14
Although I haven't used it, Apex handguards sound like a great idea for your rifle. Similar in construction to the JP/VTAC you can add rails wherever you want to. It appears to bolt around the barrel nut. No need to remove muzzle device, FSB, or pins.
Apex (http://www.apexcncmachine.com/store.php?seller=ApexMachiningCompany&navt1=19974&navt2=20383&pd=112348#images)

Good luck with your build.

MistWolf
03-29-11, 17:19
What mods? Whack the FSB and you've got a low profile gas block and most one piece handguards will slip over it. All you have to do then (if needed) is de-pin the gas tube from the gas block, remove the barrel nut and re-assemble with your free float handguard

hals1
03-29-11, 19:36
What mods? Whack the FSB and you've got a low profile gas block and most one piece handguards will slip over it. All you have to do then (if needed) is de-pin the gas tube from the gas block, remove the barrel nut and re-assemble with your free float handguard

I am beginning to think that is the best route: whack the front sight off (and maybe the oh-so-useful bayonet lug) and almost anything that uses the factory barrel nut works, right? That makes selection even more problematical as there are so many more options.:confused: Argh, as Thor used to say in BC.

hals1
03-29-11, 19:44
Although I haven't used it, Apex handguards sound like a great idea for your rifle. Similar in construction to the JP/VTAC you can add rails wherever you want to. It appears to bolt around the barrel nut. No need to remove muzzle device, FSB, or pins.
Apex (http://www.apexcncmachine.com/store.php?seller=ApexMachiningCompany&navt1=19974&navt2=20383&pd=112348#images)

Good luck with your build.

Apex 2300? That is a one piece tube I think.

hals1
08-01-11, 12:10
Not to resurrect an old thread, but I kept my eye on EE for a while and ended up with a 12" Omega rail. Went on fine, seems stable. Now I am waiting for my bipod (back ordered) and mount and rail covers. I'm thinking various colors of Magpul XTM rather than a solid color. Will try to post pix when done. Maybe a range report one of these days.
If this one doesn't shoot well enough I have a 16" middie with a ss heavy barrel to try. It would really be a kick to shoot a 16" AR with the local varmint crowd. .22-250 long barrel bolts rule hereabouts.