PDA

View Full Version : Re-working a Daniel Defense barrel

gunguy98
03-28-11, 09:27
Hey guys, my buddy just recently ruined his brand new DD m4 16" barrel. He must have drilled too deep because when he hammered the pin in to the comp to make it legal for NYS it went thru into the bore.
So I took it off his hands for cheap and would like to have it cut back to 14.5" re-crowned and threaded to make it look like new. Is it worth my while? I don't like parts going to waste.
ADCO seems to get a lot of praise around here, their prices seem really reasonable...would there be anybody else that could do it and has anyone had their barrel cut down like this and how was the work?
Thanks for the input

Marty916
03-28-11, 09:34
ADCO does excellent work, they come highly recommended. Lopping off 1.5" of barrel won't have any significant impact on the performance of the barrel. Just be sure to have a muzzle device of the correct extended length pinned so you don't get into hot water with the Gestapo.

vader
03-28-11, 11:49
rainier arms did my cut, crown, pin job and it's very well done.

markm
03-28-11, 11:55
my buddy just recently ruined his brand new DD m4 16" barrel.

C'mon, MAN! It was really you wasn't it??? :D

Anyway.... a good excuse to make it a 14.5 now.

gunguy98
03-28-11, 12:32
C'mon, MAN! It was really you wasn't it??? :D

Anyway.... a good excuse to make it a 14.5 now.

Nope, If it was me I'd fess up to my stupidity, lol I did tell him to be careful and go slow because there isn't a whole lot of metal to drill into.
I did have to mess with him for screwing it up, but I made him an offer to take it off his hands because I could probably use it to re barrel this old BM rifle I have lying around.
Hopefully he learned his lesson :D

markm
03-28-11, 13:18
Cool. If you picked it up cheap, then it'll be a good salvage.

Iraqgunz
03-28-11, 18:22
Another perfect example of why gunsmithing and armorer tools and services should be registered to include a 7 day waiting period.

Ask your buddy how much money he saved by not sending it to a professional?

Quiet-Matt
03-28-11, 19:09
Have it cut to 14.7" and have a larger selaction of muzle devices to choose from for your perm job.

Robb Jensen
03-28-11, 19:28
Another perfect example of why gunsmithing and armorer tools and services should be registered to include a 7 day waiting period.

Here's how I pin/weld. Drill comp/FH'r/brake at 6 o'clock near the wrench flats all the way through at 1/8". Thread comp/FH'r/brake onto barrel and get it where I want. Then dimple the barrel threads through that 1/8" hole that is at 6 o'clock on the comp/FH'r/brake I dimple about 1/16" or so. I cut a pin about 1/8" long installl it into that hole and weld over it, dress down the well and cold blue it.

Cesiumsponge
03-28-11, 20:10
I am having Adco do a custom re-profile and minimizing barrel length to function with a BCG 2.0 to avoid NFA waters, then getting Rainier to do pinning/welding and finishing up the upper build. I've only purchased goods from both companies in the past and this is my first time doing gunsmithing work, but I have complete confidence. You'll find nothing but good words on these two outfits. Call them up or email them and you'll be impressed.

gunguy98
03-29-11, 06:29

Yeah, he lost money, but at least he had the barrel for about 2 years so it wasn't a huge loss like he had just purchased it.
I warned him but people will do what they want. He did learn his lesson and said he's going to send out the next one.
I told him good idea!