PDA

View Full Version : LAPD authorizes Ruger LCP/S&W Bodyguard .380s

cathellsk
03-28-11, 10:27
I searched and didn't see this posted.

On March 1, 2011, LAPD authorized .380 semi-auto pistols for off-duty and on-duty back-up use.

In order to encourage officers to carry back-up and off-duty firearms, as well as to take
advantage of the technological advances in firearm and ammunition construction, the
Department has authorized the following .380 caliber pistols and ammunition:

Approved Pistols
Ruger LCP, caliber .380
Smith and Wesson Bodyguard, caliber .380 (LAPD SKU ONLY, no manual safety)

Approved Ammunition
Hornady Critical Defense, .380 caliber, 90 grain load

In order to deploy either of these firearms, officers must first successfully shoot the
Department's "Back-Up Qualification Course", at either the Davis Training Facility or the
Elysian Park Police Academy. The "Back-Up Qualification Course" must be shot with
Department approved .380 ammunition only. Officers must supply their own duty ammunition
for the qualification course and for deployment in the pistol. Upon completion of the "Back-Up
Qualification Course" of fire, officers shall take their qualification receipt to the Department
Armory and have the pistol entered on to the Department's Firearms Inventory and Tracking
System (FITS).

The Smith and Wesson pistols are equipped at the factory with a laser aiming module. This laser
module must be disabled by the Department Armorer, prior to the pistol's deployment. The
Armorer will disable the laser module by removing the batteries; there will be no permanent
modification to the pistol. Once these procedures are met, officers will be certified to carry the
.380 pistol for back-up and off-duty use. These .380 pistols are an optional individual officer
purchase. Therefore, the pistols will not be maintained by the Department armory. If a pistol
becomes unserviceable, the officer must return the pistol to the manufacturer for repair. Once
these repairs are completed by the factory they must be verified by the Department Armory, prior
to the pistol being redeployed. Additionally, the Department will not supply any .380 caliber
ammunition.

maximus83
03-28-11, 11:40
It's interesting that they say about the Bodyguard there's a version with "no manual safety." I don't think there's a version without safety that's available to the public, or at least I haven't seen it.

markm
03-28-11, 11:57
.380 = completely useless.

maximus83
03-28-11, 12:05
.380 = completely useless.

Agree with you there, Mark. I've no desire to get one, but just thought it's rather odd that they'd offer the most "useful" non-safety edition to LE but not to the public. Wondered if there's some kind of PC-type thinking behind that plan.

As for .380 in general, amen. I tried an LCP and not only didn't like the pistol, I just couldn't get into the anemic ballistics of the .380, nor the logistics of the .380 (short supply + high demand = always high priced). I agree with those who say "it beats throwing rocks", but then, so does a .22. However, there are enough lightweight 9mm offerings these days, that are only marginally larger than the pocket .380's, that I think it's worth the small trade-off in size to step up to 9mm and get the improved terminal ballistics. I don't even own a .380 anymore, a Kahr PM9 does the job for a pocket CCW or BUG.

stifled
03-28-11, 12:15
It's interesting that they say about the Bodyguard there's a version with "no manual safety." I don't think there's a version without safety that's available to the public, or at least I haven't seen it.

It says "LAPD SKU" which I believe indicates there is a model without a safety built specifically for the LAPD, though of course I could be wrong.

I like how they are "encouraging officers to carry a backup on duty" then in the next paragraph explain that the expensive ammo must be supplied by the officer, even for qualifications. I realize that this is relatively normal, but to me anything to encourage officers to become better with their duty weapons is commendable. It'd be nice if all that "war on drugs" money went to actually improving police forces through training!

tpd223
03-28-11, 13:42
I have no issue with a .380 if it gets folks to carry a BUG that wouldn't otherwise carry one, or be able to hide one (lots of IBOs around nowadays).

Disabling the laser is just seriously retarded though.

TriumphRat675
03-28-11, 14:00
Why on earth would they require you to have the laser disabled?

ghettomedic
03-28-11, 16:36
Why on earth would they require you to have the laser disabled?

Not relying on the laser during qual?

I know that my batteries would be going back in as soon as it left the armorer's bench. I also know if my job involved hoodrat hunting in LA I damn sure wouldn't carry a .380 BUG.

Dennis
03-28-11, 17:36
Aside from the obvious benefit of getting some of the unfortunate majority of lazy coppers to carry any gun off duty, there are benefits for serious shooters too. The small, flat, light package is super concealable and allows for easy carry of a 3rd, 4th, or more backup guns in various easy to access locations. At least this is my rationale and I hear it is shared by shooters much more serious than I :cool:

Another benefit is in unique off-duty situations such as going for runs/working out or when forced to wear slacks with a tucked in shirt. You can keep a real gun like a G26 on your ankle, but also have a .380 available much more immediately in your pocket.

Personally, I would prefer a compact 9mm but are there any even close to as compact? Also, I still carry my scandium J-frame as well, but it kicks like a mule. I put 15 rounds of +P GD through it last week and I had a twitch the rest of the my shooting session!

It's not an optimal choice, but it is another tool to put in the box.

Oh yeah, lasers are not authorized and I would bet it has something to do with confusing it with a TASER or maybe a retraining issue. (not enough time/resources)

Dennis.