PDA

View Full Version : Issue with "noisy" holster

maximus83
03-28-11, 11:32
I carry my M&P in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I've been really pleased with the comfort, retention, and overall quality of the holster. However, my daughter pointed out the other day that, when I'm in a quiet setting (like home), the holster "creaks" pretty loudly and she said it's "conspicuous." For me, I hadn't really thought about it because I normally only wear the holster when I'm out in public and generally in more "noisy" settings. But she's right, it IS too noisy when there's no other background noise.

The holster is a blend of leather (against the body) and kydex (the actual holster portion). Obviously the leather is what makes the noise. I wouldn't have really expected it to make THAT much noise after it's broken in, but it does.

Just curious if others have had this issue with Crossbreed holsters in particular, or with other holsters that blend leather and kydex. I thought with the blend, I'd be getting away from the "creaking gunleather" syndrome, but I guess not. Has anyone noticed if the Comp Tac holsters make a lot of noise?

William B.
03-28-11, 11:43
I've been using Crossbreed Supertucks for about 2yrs and have never noticed that. How old is your holster?

Magsz
03-28-11, 11:53
Your holster creaks?

Hrm...weird.

Are you sure that the holster isnt knocking against some of the rivets in your jeans or items in your pockets?

Ensure that the metal clips on the supertuck arent banging into any rivets in your pants as well.

maximus83
03-28-11, 11:59
I'll have to check receipt when I get home, but I'd estimate holster is about 2.5 yrs old. It gets used all the time and has some wear but not excessive.

Magz, good ideas, I will check out the possibilities of areas that are rubbing or whatever. However, at first glance it really just seems like a traditional creaking leather type of sound. One item to check is that, at one point, I adjusted the angle of the clips a bit (I wear a very thick, heavy duty 1.5" belt, and the clips are their new steel "C" type, very strong). It could be that the angle of the clips is creating stress and scraping against the leather when I move around.

Magsz
03-28-11, 12:16
This is one of the reasons why i never liked the supertuck. There's just too much going on in your pants (har) and there are stresses being put on the system because of the size of the footprint of the holster that shouldnt be there.

If you're creaking while wearing the holster then something isnt aligned right and something is pulling somewhere it shouldnt be be.

Good luck with the fix brother, keep us updated.

Huntindoc
03-28-11, 12:26
I have the same problem with mine if not using it with a shirt tucked. It sounds like a leather saddle creaking with each step. I found I can minimize it by putting a small wedge of paper towel or facial tissue between the clips and the leather.

ssracer
03-28-11, 12:43
Haven't had this issue with mine. Now I have a leather galco OWB pancake holster that creaks like crazy with one belt, but its due to the belt, not the holster (the belt creaks against itself too..lol)

HuttoAg96
03-28-11, 13:07
ssracer I noticed that the belt I use for daily carry (an uncle mike's wilderness belt imitation) creaks around the buckle... which seems weird for a fabric belt with a metal buckle assembly.

William B.
03-28-11, 14:37
I found I can minimize it by putting a small wedge of paper towel or facial tissue between the clips and the leather.

You sound like you're on to something. Maybe foam tape (http://www.findtape.com/shop/product.aspx?id=226&setscreen=1&width=1596&height=0) on the backs of the belt clips would help.

ssracer
03-28-11, 14:45
To the OP: does yours have the metal clips?

Spiffums
03-28-11, 15:25
I have had leather rigs to creak when on a leather belt. Some even sounded like I was riding a horse there was so much leather noise.

Never had kydex to creak on me though.

Ironman8
03-28-11, 16:07
I have the same holster for my M&P and it "creaks" as well. Its not terrible but I can definitely hear it when in a quiet place. The "creaking" comes from the metal clip rubbing up against the leather (I have the horsehide).

Haven't really messed with it to try to fix it, but I thought of either the foam pads on the back of the clips or just trying to oil the leather to see if that works...I'll probly try that first.

theJanitor
03-28-11, 16:14
both my MTAC's creak. one is a gen1, the other a gen2

jck397
03-28-11, 17:54
I have a Kramer belt scabbard for a SIG 229 and an IWB #3 for a Glock 19 and both creak like that. The IWB is about 7 years old and and the OWB is about 4. Both are horsehide, worn on wilderness tactical nylon belts. Both have seen daily carry in the past, but are no longer my primary holsters.

VelveteenMole
03-28-11, 18:37
I don't think foam tape would be very durable being rubbed. I'd suggest an adhesive strip of velcro loops.

Kool Aid
03-28-11, 18:59
My MTAC creaks with two different pistols in two different holster bodies. I cringe when I hear it. Custom leather is much quieter.

maximus83
03-29-11, 10:29
To the OP: does yours have the metal clips?

Yes, I mentioned mine has the new steel clips. It sounds like Ironman and Huntindoc have both traced the noise to the clips scraping on the leather. I'm going to look into Huntindocs idea of putting something between the clips and the leather.

I'm a little surprised to hear 2 Comptac Mtac users say that they have experienced the same issue. I was thinking about trying one of theirs to get around this issue, but it sounds like it's more common than I thought with this type of holster that blends leather and kydex.

pennzoil
03-29-11, 12:19
Baby powder at contact spots is another option that helped with a 5.11 belt & C-Tac I have that caused noise. I had to reapply a few times then it eventually stopped.

Ironman8
03-29-11, 12:31
The more I think about it, I think I might try a piece of loop velcro placed on the back of the clip (between the clip and leather)...

Pesty0311
03-29-11, 13:48
I have a Sparks VMII that did that. I emailed Sparks and was told to "wear it more. Do not use oils or conditioners, you can use wax but it should be applied and "buffed" regularly."

I ended up finding that my belt was the culprit as it did not fit well anymore, wilderness 5 stitch. I ordered a new belt and the issue went away.

Packman73
03-29-11, 14:07
I have not experienced that with Supertucks or Qwikclips (I've had two of both; currently have one of each). My Galco Concealable on the other hand...:rolleyes:

czydj
03-29-11, 14:10
The more I think about it, I think I might try a piece of loop velcro placed on the back of the clip (between the clip and leather)...

The fuzzy side sounds like a good idea, or this:
http://www.rei.com/media/rr/0b81d7ab-4ca3-4a6f-b4ce-76bf3d679982.jpg

Just cut out a little tab and put the rest away for when ya need it...

bkb0000
03-29-11, 14:45
what an irritating thread... didn't any of you people play baseball?

every leather holster i've ever owned has creaked when new. it'll creak until it's worn in, and putting strips of velcro and foam and bullcrap on it isn't going to facilitate that. linseed oil is what you want- find the wear spots, dab a little oil on 'em, and the creaking will likely STOP, and immediately. if it starts to creak again in a week or two, another small dab will fix it.

ETA- just saw the baby powder idea... i've never tried that, but it sounds like another good option. any talc product.

Ironman8
03-29-11, 15:07
what an irritating thread... didn't any of you people play baseball?

every leather holster i've ever owned has creaked when new. it'll creak until it's worn in, and putting strips of velcro and foam and bullcrap on it isn't going to facilitate that. linseed oil is what you want- find the wear spots, dab a little oil on 'em, and the creaking will likely STOP, and immediately. if it starts to creak again in a week or two, another small dab will fix it.

ETA- just saw the baby powder idea... i've never tried that, but it sounds like another good option. any talc product.

LOL three years of college ball ended for me last year...if you'll read my first post, you'll see that this was my first idea.

The only problem is I dunno how effective it will be since the leather on my holster is horsehide and not cow/deer/ect. I've had my holster for about 4 months, so its not new. I would have thought that the "creaking" would have stopped by now.

maximus83
03-29-11, 19:38
linseed oil is what you want- find the wear spots, dab a little oil on 'em, and the creaking will likely STOP, and immediately. if it starts to creak again in a week or two, another small dab will fix it.

Some of the leather holster makers I've been aware of, tend to advise against using oils stuff like that, which would soften the leather, which is why I've avoided going that route.

For example, here's what Milt Sparks says on his site:

"You can disregard most of the advice put out on the various internet forums suggesting applications for holsters that are better suited for a pair of boots, or on a saddle. On holsters and belts of our manufacture- do not use silicone, oil, or any leather conditioning product that advertises itself as an aid to help soften leather- Period!"

Stuff that I used to use to soften my little league baseball gloves doesn't necessarily seem like a good thing for gun leather.

bkb0000
03-29-11, 19:53
Some of the leather holster makers I've been aware of, tend to advise against using oils stuff like that, which would soften the leather, which is why I've avoided going that route.

For example, here's what Milt Sparks says on his site:

"You can disregard most of the advice put out on the various internet forums suggesting applications for holsters that are better suited for a pair of boots, or on a saddle. On holsters and belts of our manufacture- do not use silicone, oil, or any leather conditioning product that advertises itself as an aid to help soften leather- Period!"

Stuff that I used to use to soften my little league baseball gloves doesn't necessarily seem like a good thing for gun leather.

i could have swore i posted an addendum that addressed this, but it's now not there.

whatever the case- that's why i say "a little dab where it's creaking." and in the addendum, i stated that's why i like the talc idea- it'll polish the spot rather than break it down.

the reason holster manfers dont want you to use linseed on holsters is because guys will soak the whole damn thing, which would obviously be counter productive. but it's not going to hurt your holster to just slightly accelerate the wear spots so they'll stop creaking. i've had about a dozen different leather holsters over the years, and done this on most of them. it works fine.

i'll be trying talc on the next one, though.. cant believe i never thought of that.

Pesty0311
03-29-11, 23:18
Maximus is spot on as I had pointed out. Softening leather is not a good idea ESPECIALLY around connection points.

SteelDust
03-30-11, 16:06
For what it's worth, my MTAC doesn't exhibit the creaking that others have mentioned.

I just have the standard clips.

Irish10
03-30-11, 16:54
Candle wax, baby or talcum powder rubbed into your belt where the clips/slots connect should take care of the problem. Both Mark Garrity and ALex Nossar told me about this and they are the experts. I prefer the wax and it works like a charm.

hdfb910
03-30-11, 19:57
I had the same problem with my Crossbreed. I just took it apart and rubbed Kiwi mink oil polish on the contact points under the plastic. Problem solved, completely silent.