PDA

View Full Version : S&W 6906?

Frens
03-28-11, 14:32
hi guys,

so, my old father is looking for a compact 9mm for CCW...
I have a G17 and he likes it so a G19 is an option (no G26, too small for his big hands) but he was offered a S&W 6906 NIB...

Does anybody have any experience with this S&W?

thanks in advance
Frens

Pistol Shooter
03-28-11, 16:27
The 3rd generation S&W handguns are very highly thought of by most handgun aficionados. They are excellent pistols.

Accurate and very reliable. I wish S&W still made them.

I do not have experience with the 6906, but do own a 3913 and a 3914.

I'd suggest your Dad jump on the deal ASAP if he likes the pistol.

ghettomedic
03-28-11, 16:33
Sheriff's Department back home had them as issue guns for about 10 years or so. In my discussions with their head armorer during that time he didn't identify any major issues with the model with the exception of the Sheriff's gun, which suffered a failure of the disconnector and went full-auto during staff qualification.

Not sure of the official S&W designation of the variant they issued, it was the DA/SA with ambi safety/decocker and bobbed hammer. Being active on the ERT and Department shooting team, my father put a significant number of rounds through his over that time period and his opinion is that it was a reliable and well-made gun. He purchased his after they switched to HK USPs and I've shot it on many occasions.

Dennis
03-28-11, 16:56
Lots of guys on my Dept.(as in hundreds or even thousands) have and still carry this gun or the 3913. If you are OK with the decocker safety and DA/SA action then it is a great gun. The only issue is that it's a bit blocky. Mine has been in the safe ever since I got a G26/G29/G17 but I wouldn't hesitate to carry it if needed.

Dennis.

jnc36rcpd
03-28-11, 18:36
The Third Generation Smiths are usually pretty solid guns. If you're father is comfortable with the weight and the manual safety, this may not be a bad choice.

Rara
03-28-11, 22:23
I picked up a 10+ year old used 6906 for my wife awhile back. She absolutely loves it, and it shoots great. I did have an issue where the trigger bar broke and I had to replace it though, but who knows what the round count was...

awm14hp
03-29-11, 08:32
I have and shoot three GEN 3 SW guns
3913-4516 and 6906 while the 3913 is my fav of them all I have had no issues with any of them and if I did I know SW is great with taking care of them. I would jump all over it if the price is right.

Beat Trash
03-29-11, 10:26
My agency issued the 6906 along with the 5906 for several years, until switching to the DOA versions, then to the M&P.

The 6906 was a good gun. I bought one for off-duty carry for about 2 years. We saw a few crack frames towards the end of their service life. For a ccw DA/SA gun, the 6906 is ok. The thinner 3913 seemed to shoot and carry better for me, even when I put Hogue rubber grips on it. (this gun is still around, living in my kitchen, in the utensil drawer, of course!)

If given the choice between a 6906 and a Glock 19, for me it would be a no-brainer. I'd still take the Glock 19. For me, the Glock 19 carries better, resists sweat, rain, grime and all the things a good ccw gun is abused with better. I can shoot it better than any DA/SA gun.

IF your father prefers the DA/SA guns to the striker fired Glocks, then get the 6906. If he likes the Glocks better, get a Glock 19 and don't look back.

Surf
03-29-11, 17:43
I carried a 5906 for a few years and a 6904 as a back up. I was glad when I was able to dump that boat anchor. Never had any problems with it, but it just wasn't my thing. Didn't care for the trigger either. I still have my 6904 but I haven't shot it in well over 15 years. I will say that these pistols have a little cult like following.

TomD
03-29-11, 18:13
I (we) have had one for years that is my wifes travel companion. I don't like DA/SA triggers or the backwards safety. She doesn't care! If I had to choose between the 6906 or the plastic fantastic, it would be the latter.

darr3239
03-29-11, 18:32
I had one for a while. They are very cool looking guns. I found, with my average sized hands, they are larger than I like in the grip. Especially with the double action first trigger pull. It's the same reason I traded it off, as I did with the Sig P226 I used for several years. Outside of caliber choice, the way a pistol feels in your hand should be of primary concern.

DocGKR
03-29-11, 21:18
When I had a 92F for duty, I carried a 6906 off duty--worked fine, but I ended up much preferring the 3913. I'd take a G19 or M&P9c over a 6906 any day.

PD Sgt.
03-30-11, 09:08
Third generation Smith autos are in my opinion some of the most underrated pistols out there. They are solidly constructed, more than accurate enough for most serious applications (I used to qualify with a 4506 out to 50 yds) and will chamber a rock if you can get it into the magazine. There is also a good availability of spare or replacement parts for most models.

The downsides are they are a bit heavy by comparison to modern polymer frames, and some people find the decocking lever to be in an awkward spot for easy manipulation.

While they are not the most cutting edge design, I would not talk anyone out of one if they were comfortable with the model.

BobM
03-30-11, 10:02
I think they were good guns in their day but I think the Glock/M&P is the way to go now.
I carried an issue 5906 for 16 years and was the armorer for about half that time. Ours ran well for a long time but I noticed most officers shot noticeable better with the M&P.

Flipster
03-30-11, 10:37
My department initially authorized auto pistols for duty use in 1987. Choices were limited then to Sig, Beretta and S&W pistols. I became a Smith armorer in about 1989 or so (have to check the cert for the actual date), so I had a bit of experience in dealing with the pistols through the years.

At the peak of their popularity with our agency, we probably had 300 Smiths in service, between duty and off-duty weapons.

Regarding the alloy-framed 469/669/6904/6906 pistols, we had many cracked frames. Within the last few years, the final two 6904's still in use suffered cracked frames, and now only one is still in use. Seems that basically every one that had a moderate to high round count ended up with a cracked frame.

Don't recall seeing a cracked 3914/3913 frame or any of the few 5903 pistols we had.

Did have a number of cracked trigger bars. Been a few years and if I remember correctly, this was in the mid-90's, but seems that Smith changed something about the manufacturing process for the trigger bars and that seemed to fix it.

Considering what we had for choices back then, the 6900 series were a good choice if not shot too much. Later, I too preferred the 3913, and then a 3953.

But, today I prefer and carry the Glock 19....

Irish10
03-30-11, 17:03
Excellent weapons, highlly reliable, accurate but on the heavy side. IMO S&W screwed uo when they stopped making the 3rd Gen semi-autos. Just excellent pistols all the way around.

bkb0000
03-30-11, 17:15
off-topic, but has S&W totally abandoned production of their DA autos?

SWAT Lt.
03-30-11, 19:25
We issued them for about 8 years with no real complaints. Reliable and accurate guns. I'd rather have the G-19 though.

In2Deep
03-30-11, 19:39
off-topic, but has S&W totally abandoned production of their DA autos?

No. Smith and Wesson will still make them for the LE market, but no longer offers them to the civilian retail side of the house.

blackscot
03-31-11, 06:06
This platform was among the generation of semi-auto pistols that first displaced revolvers among LE and many civilians toward the end of the last century. I owned a couple each of the 5904 (full-sized alloy frame) and 5906 (same in all-stainless) back during the 90's and early 00's.

Pretty much ditto what eveyone else is saying.

-- very solid construction
-- reliable
-- slick looking (especially the all-stainless)
-- heavy (especially the all-stainless)
-- DA first shot
-- slide-mounted safety/decocker
-- mag-drop safety

Of the above, I definitely appreciate the first three, but not the rest. So to further repeat the other replies, I generally see the various polymer-framed models as the current vanguard -- lighter, better ergo's, and just as reliable. (My everyday carry for the past +5 years has been a G19.)

Qualities of the S&W X9XX series are no less today than they were 10-15 years ago though, but have been surpassed by what most regard as better features. Handgun choice is so personal though, each of us must go with what feels best. Heck, some even still prefer revolvers! :meeting:

Frens
04-02-11, 11:26
thanks all,
you posted a lot of usefull info.

he could get that 6906 for a really nice price.
the gun looks interesting..my father is a big guy so weight wouldnt be a big deal (he had to CCW a Beretta92 when he was a cop) but the lack of a replacement parts and spare mags is a major issue IMO...

Magic_Salad0892
04-02-11, 11:39
I'd get one of the compact double stack DA/SA guns in 9x19.

Send it off to get Melonite Coated.

Get better sights.

Take out the stupid magazine safety.

Beats out most if not all other steel framed pistols any day.