PDA

View Full Version : First malfunction today....

BCmJUnKie
03-28-11, 18:54
Around 2,200 rounds through this rifle (hasnt been cleaned once). Its fairly new. I had a double feed, but when I dropped the Mag. and cleared it, charged it and the new round went in no problem...click. Dropped the Mag. and tried to open the bolt it was stuck, cleared that one too. You can see the scratch it left up by the gas tube. Crazy. Kinda bummed, this is the FIRST time I have cleaned my rifle...wanted to get more through it.
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/Danger131/DSCF1775.jpg
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/Danger131/DSCF1779.jpg
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/Danger131/DSCF1782.jpg
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/Danger131/DSCF1784.jpg

shittercrewchief
03-28-11, 19:02
How often and with what type of lube did you use?

bkb0000
03-28-11, 19:05
it does look pretty dry.. i would have just shot it full of CLP and attempted to continue

BCmJUnKie
03-28-11, 19:05
How often and with what type of lube did you use?

Every time I go out (twice a week) and I use Mobil1 Synthetic and Hoppe's

BCmJUnKie
03-28-11, 19:07
it does look pretty dry.. i would have just shot it full of CLP and attempted to continue

Ya? You run yours wetter than that? CLP is what you like? Ill try it out. I have a small bottle I use in my cleaning kit. Thanks man. Ill give it a whirl this time

ucrt
03-28-11, 19:08

I think Double-Feeds indicate a mag problem. You probably deformed the cartridge and then it hung up in the chamber?

How did you unstick the stuck cartridge?

BCmJUnKie
03-28-11, 19:11

I think Double-Feeds indicate a mag problem. You probably deformed the cartridge and then it hung up in the chamber?

Pmags. It was stuck pretty good. Just charged it, It just fell right out,

bkb0000
03-28-11, 19:12
Ya? You run yours wetter than that? CLP is what you like? Ill try it out. I have a small bottle I use in my cleaning kit. Thanks man. Ill give it a whirl this time

i loob with mobile 1, but in the field i re-loob with a CLP-like lubricant. i've got my own mix of stuff that i use, a little thicker than CLP, but CLP is totally fine for a re-loober. every 300-500 rounds i'll squirt some into the carrier holes and on the bolt... all through the ejection port.

I think Double-Feeds indicate a mag problem. You probably deformed the cartridge and then it hung up in the chamber.

i think he means live round on spent round, not double feed. which would correlate to the stuck case he had immediately after.

bkb0000
03-28-11, 19:13
stuck cases in a quality gun usually indicate a filthy chamber.. you shootin brass or steel?

BCmJUnKie
03-28-11, 19:16
stuck cases in a quality gun usually indicate a filthy chamber.. you shootin brass or steel?

Both. Not mixed of course. For drills and Reload practice I use steel. For long range or any kind of groups I use brass

bkb0000
03-28-11, 19:22
Both. Not mixed of course. For drills and Reload practice I use steel. For long range or any kind of groups I use brass

steel can soot up your chamber pretty good. a lot of people have problems with fails to extract after putting brass on top of steel. since you hadn't cleaned it at all, whatever steel that had been up there probably gummed it up enough to give you problems. in the future, keep it well loobed, keep loob out of the chamber as best you can, and if you have problems with stuck cases after shooting steel, just jam your chamber brush up in there and give it a quick scrub. no need to clean the whole gun for that, unless you want to.

if you find you're having stuck cases without shooting steel, or when the gun is clean, inspect your extractor and probably go ahead and replace your extractor spring.

BCmJUnKie
03-28-11, 19:30
steel can soot up your chamber pretty good. a lot of people have problems with fails to extract after putting brass on top of steel. since you hadn't cleaned it at all, whatever steel that had been up there probably gummed it up enough to give you problems. in the future, keep it well loobed, keep loob out of the chamber as best you can, and if you have problems with stuck cases after shooting steel, just jam your chamber brush up in there and give it a quick scrub. no need to clean the whole gun for that, unless you want to.

if you find you're having stuck cases without shooting steel, or when the gun is clean, inspect your extractor and probably go ahead and replace your extractor spring.

Very good thank you. I will mos def remember that. Like I said, this is the first problem I have had with this rifle PERIOD. I owned a bushmaster a couple years back. Had all kinds of problems. The BCM in the pics eats up anything. 2,000 rounds I am happy with. I was hoping for somewhere around 5,000

Belmont31R
03-28-11, 19:35
Looks dry as a bone in there aside from some THICK carbon build up.

When you are running long periods without cleaning and weak ammo it needs to be wet. Especially if you're running it hot (lots of ammo in a short period like drills).

BCmJUnKie
03-28-11, 19:50
Looks dry as a bone in there aside from some THICK carbon build up.

When you are running long periods without cleaning and weak ammo it needs to be wet. Especially if you're running it hot (lots of ammo in a short period like drills).

I know the pics make it look really dry. It wasnt. I would like to think I run it wet:D

Fullauto
03-28-11, 20:00
Quick question from a new AR owner. Is it common to run this many round through your rifle before cleaning it? I was brought up that after a hunt or a trip to the range you clean your firearm. I know that the AR is a breed of its own and I still have a lot to learn about it (that why I’m here) but am I wrong to clean it after a each trip to the range?

BCmJUnKie
03-28-11, 20:01
Dammit I shouldnt have cleaned it huh... The reason I did this I guess is cause I wanted to see what my rifle does. How many rounds before a malfunction. I should have kept going:angry:

BCmJUnKie
03-28-11, 20:05
Quick question from a new AR owner. Is it common to run this many round through your rifle before cleaning it? I was brought up that after a hunt or a trip to the range you clean your firearm. I know that the AR is a breed of its own and I still have a lot to learn about it (that why I’m here) but am I wrong to clean it after a each trip to the range?

Well the guys that I listen to the most are on here. But some of my Marine friends think its sacrelige to have ANY carbon in your rifle. I know I built a solid rifle and it can handle it.

bkb0000
03-28-11, 20:14

Well the guys that I listen to the most are on here. But some of my Marine friends think its sacrelige to have ANY carbon in your rifle. I know I built a solid rifle and it can handle it.

this is a topic all in it's own, and we've had a number of threads on it specifically. i recommend doing an orange SEARCH for it... in a nutshell, the AR, properly loobed, will likely run for thousands of rounds without cleaning- it's a very reliable platform, and basically "self-cleans" in the important places, as originally advertised decades ago. but you also need to consider things like inspection, corrosion, and the fact that NOT cleaning adds a degree of question mark that doesn't exist when the weapon IS clean.

the conversation expands and becomes more controversial when we talk about what exactly "clean" means, however... pretty much nobody who knows anything believes the whole gun needs to be spotless, anymore.... that's oldschool, and long since proven wrong.

ETA- for the record, i usually clean after every range trip... but i don't spend that much time on it- scrub out the action, wipe it down, scrape off most of the carbon, loob it, function check it, put it up. detailed cleanings only every few thousand rounds... and i pretty much never clean the bore, beyond wiping it out with a patch.

Iraqgunz
03-28-11, 20:42
I wonder if the results would have been different with a real lube designed for firearms?

BCmJUnKie
03-28-11, 21:55
I wonder if the results would have been different with a real lube designed for firearms?

What is hoppe's designed for?

ucrt
03-28-11, 22:14

============================

With all of the variety of "Lube" comments the past few weeks I don't think the kind, make, brand, mixture of lube is as important as at least just using
something. (The only exception might be WD40.)

I think Hoppe's is just something. Some lubes are better than others but "how much" is almost impossible to measure. Some last longer, requiring more applications; some stink, some smell good; but keeping the gun WET is the key.

The best example of this is an article I read a few years ago where Pat Rogers got a malfunctioning gun working with Vagisil. Might have only worked for a magazine or two but it got the gun working...

But maybe it's just me...

bkb0000
03-28-11, 22:39
there are about a billion pretty serious shooters that use mobile 1, or other synthetic motor oils... there's nothing wrong with it. like i said, i use it for initial loob. i think for re-application, it's just a little too.... oily, is the only reason i don't use it for everything. once that oily base mixes up with all that carbon, it tends to turn into a wet-cement like sandy paste. adding more oily oil doesn't really seem to thin it out very well, so i use a thinner loob for reapplication, which seams to "wash" it a little better. i think the mix i'm using right now is something like 1 part marvel mystery oil, 1 part PB blaster, 1 part mobile 1... slightly thicker than CLP, it seems to cut the crud and lubricate really well, and lasts longer than CLP alone.

but that's just my deal. everyone's got their own wild ideas and theories. like ucrt said, the important thing is just to make sure it's wet.

Iraqgunz
03-28-11, 23:30
I think Hoppe's is great for Fudd guns. Not for combat arms. I was also referring specifically to the home brew concoctions that people keep mixing together hoping for some type of miracle.

I have used Militec, Slip2000 EWL and Weaponshield which were all designed specifically for firearms and they all work good.

Does that mean that Mobile 1 wouldn't be good in a pinch? Nope. But, I am not going to put it on my stuff when there are better products available.

BCmJUnKie
03-28-11, 23:46
I think Hoppe's is great for Fudd guns. Not for combat arms. I was also referring specifically to the home brew concoctions that people keep mixing together hoping for some type of miracle.

I have used Militec, Slip2000 EWL and Weaponshield which were all designed specifically for firearms and they all work good.

Does that mean that Mobile 1 wouldn't be good in a pinch? Nope. But, I am not going to put it on my stuff when there are better products available.

I was gonna ask what you use. I ordered some Slip2000. I do NOT run Fudd guns haha. I like the feedback from you guys. And with all due respect...I think 2,000 rounds pretty good with only one malfunction? Or I could be wrong. I wish I could have gotten more.

Heavy Metal
03-28-11, 23:52
Plain ole Hoppes oil is nothing but straight, 100% Mineral oil, as per the MSDS. Very 19th century.

djegators
03-28-11, 23:53
My buddy's BCM middy that I put together for him currently has around 3000 rounds, maybe more, almost entirely steel case with out cleaning. It does get a heavy dose of Slip 2000 EWL every time out.

Eric D.
03-29-11, 00:59
I would say its just fine. Not exactly sure on the numbers but I remember reading in the TM something like a maximum of 6 malfunctions in the first 6000 rounds is acceptable.

I think 2,000 rounds pretty good with only one malfunction? Or I could be wrong. I wish I could have gotten more.