PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor possesion/use before stamp

PaulL
03-28-11, 20:29
I've seen a couple of posts out there (not here) by people claiming to have shot with their suppressor before their Form 4 came back. Apparently, the dealer let them shoot it under his supervision.

1. Is this legal?

2. If so, can the dealer take it to a range to be used by the buyer as long as the dealer is present?

I'm asking because I will be buying one soon, and I'd love to use it as soon as possible if it's legal (who wouldn't?). I've googled around, and can't seem to find a straight answer on this.

Turnkey11
03-28-11, 21:14
AFAIK it is legal, I was told that I could shoot it at my dealer's range as soon as they had it in possession. Still waiting on Knesek...

JasonM
03-29-11, 09:57
1. Absolutely. Once it transfers on a Form 3 from the manufacturer (or distributer) to your dealer, then he legally possesses it and use it as he wants.

2. If your dealer is willing to meet you at the range with your waiting-for-transfer cans to shoot, then you have a cool dealer. Go for it.

Of course, getting a taste may just make the waiting seem worse.

C4IGrant
03-29-11, 10:16
I've seen a couple of posts out there (not here) by people claiming to have shot with their suppressor before their Form 4 came back. Apparently, the dealer let them shoot it under his supervision.

1. Is this legal?

2. If so, can the dealer take it to a range to be used by the buyer as long as the dealer is present?

I'm asking because I will be buying one soon, and I'd love to use it as soon as possible if it's legal (who wouldn't?). I've googled around, and can't seem to find a straight answer on this.

1. Yes.
2. Yes.

C4

PaulL
03-29-11, 21:29
Awesome. Thanks guys. My hope is to get a little group together and have a suppressor demo with my can. I'm this dealer's first suppressor customer, so I'd like to have some fun and help him drum up some business, too.

nickhaaa
03-29-11, 23:25
That sounds cool. I'm from the Houston area too and am always looking for a new dealer/good prices. Especially a cool dealer that would be willing to do that. Do you mind pm'ing me his information? I'd appreciate it greatly.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-30-11, 00:13
We have a dealer in town that lets you shoot the full auto stuff into a barrel of sand in the back. Not too much fun, but a little!

Lawmaker
03-31-11, 12:00
Yes the dealer has possession. It is just like when the can i transferred to you, you can let other people use it. In your presence of course.

PaulL
04-01-11, 07:38
So who's paid for it actually has nothing to do with ownership/possesion? Other than wanting to protect their interests financially, the dealer doesn't technically have to charge you for the item up front? I guess if they didn't charge you and there was a problem, they'd be stuck with it for months waiting on the Form 4. Screw that. You NFA dealers are nuts. :p:p :D

Lawmaker
04-01-11, 10:53
My dealer was telling me how he has several cans that people have not come by to pick up. Forms are cleared but they are no shows. Been there a couple years. I think I might try and pry them off of him. Not sure about the legality of it though. Because I would imagine that the ATF has X owner in possession. So it would have to be transferred from X to me. What if that isnt possible. What then? How do abandoned NFA items get transferred?

JasonM
04-01-11, 11:31
So who's paid for it actually has nothing to do with ownership/possesion? Other than wanting to protect their interests financially, the dealer doesn't technically have to charge you for the item up front? I guess if they didn't charge you and there was a problem, they'd be stuck with it for months waiting on the Form 4. Screw that. You NFA dealers are nuts. :p:p :D

In the eyes of the ATF, they don't care where the money came from, it's who the latest approved form 3 or 4 transferred it to.

JasonM
04-01-11, 11:33
My dealer was telling me how he has several cans that people have not come by to pick up. Forms are cleared but they are no shows. Been there a couple years. I think I might try and pry them off of him. Not sure about the legality of it though. Because I would imagine that the ATF has X owner in possession. So it would have to be transferred from X to me. What if that isnt possible. What then? How do abandoned NFA items get transferred?

Not legal unless the people that the approved Form 4's are for transfer the items to you on your own form 4.

Contact the ATF about abandoned NFA items, my best guess is that they will require them to be destroyed.

Boomer10
04-03-11, 12:04
I was at a low/no light shoot last night where suppressors were mandatory for the event. A local suppressor manufacturer was there and had brought some of his customers cans so they could use them while they were waiting for their paperwork to be completed.