PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I've got to buy a 1911.

Avenger29
03-29-11, 00:11
Because not only is this the day of it's adoption, it's my birthday. I presume that Colt is the only way to fly for this one? Won't be a CCW gun.

DominicO
03-29-11, 00:36
I'd get a Springfield GI. They're relatively inexpensive, good quality in their price range, and it's a good base gun if you want to change anything.

durus5995
03-29-11, 01:14
I'd get a Springfield GI. They're relatively inexpensive, good quality in their price range, and it's a good base gun if you want to change anything.

I disagree with you on the Springfield GI. When I had mine it did shoot FMJ and JHP perfectly but, I was not a big fan of the sights and I REALLY was not a big fan of how durable the parkerization was. It seemed like any little bump would scratch it down to bare metal. This was especially evident on the slide serrations where the park would come off just normal use. I thought perhaps that is just the ones from about 4 years ago but when I was shopping for a new 1911 I took a look at a Springfield GI and guess what? The one I looked at had the park coming off the slide serrations. You might want to look higher up in Springfield's model list.

I ended up going with a Rock Island because it was cheap ($389 OTD) and I intend to do some tinkering with it and I didnt want to screw up an expensive 1911 with my tinkering. However I am sure RIA's are probably compared to a DPMS AR.

Lincoln7
03-29-11, 03:00
Colt would be one of your best non-custom options. Springfield has alot of good options, too. I have a couple and am very happy with them and with the company itself. One of them is marked USA, the other Brazil. The USA marked one is noticeably nicer. RIA's are decent for the money and the customer service is good but, in my opinion, there are much better options. Don't fall into the hype and purchase a Kimber before doing your homework. Oh yeah, Happy Birthday!

wetidlerjr
03-29-11, 03:29
I would go with the Colt. The Combat Elite is a good one with a combination of looks and performance.
:D

Gray Man
03-29-11, 03:40
I ended up going with a Rock River because it was cheap ($389 OTD) and I intend to do some tinkering with it and I didnt want to screw up an expensive 1911 with my tinkering. However I am sure RIA's are probably compared to a DPMS AR.

RIA (Rock Island Armory) is NOT Rock River. Huge difference in quality and price.

Gun
03-29-11, 07:01
Because not only is this the day of it's adoption, it's my birthday. I presume that Colt is the only way to fly for this one? Won't be a CCW gun.

After you shoot it, that might change. It did for me!

Colt would be one of your best non-custom options. Springfield has alot of good options, too. I have a couple and am very happy with them and with the company itself. One of them is marked USA, the other Brazil. The USA marked one is noticeably nicer. RIA's are decent for the money and the customer service is good but, in my opinion, there are much better options. Don't fall into the hype and purchase a Kimber before doing your homework. Oh yeah, Happy Birthday!

My 1st 1911 is a Kimber CII. I read so much about them, and the Les Baers. Having not shot a 45 cal. weapon, I didn't know what to expect. That changed quickly, after squeezing the trigger. I picked the Kimber, due to price.

My point, I read, so much, that everyone had the notion that you had to change springs and mags to get the dang Kimber to work. I thought that odd. After 2000 rds, I'm still using the same parts in the gun, though I have a few other mags. The only mag that never gave me a problem was the OEM mag, you know the crappy mag. I carry this gun now (not a LEO).

Kimbers are much tighter in fit, and mine feels tighter (after 2000 rds) than newer Colts, SA's, & Rem's. But that shouldn't matter.

But, being your birthday, and the 1911's birthday, go with a Colt!:D

Gun
03-29-11, 07:03
BTW, you didn't turn a 100 today, as well?!!?:p

Timbonez
03-29-11, 12:02
I say go with a Colt, and happy birthday to you!

d90king
03-29-11, 12:12
I disagree with you on the Springfield GI. When I had mine it did shoot FMJ and JHP perfectly but, I was not a big fan of the sights and I REALLY was not a big fan of how durable the parkerization was. It seemed like any little bump would scratch it down to bare metal. This was especially evident on the slide serrations where the park would come off just normal use. I thought perhaps that is just the ones from about 4 years ago but when I was shopping for a new 1911 I took a look at a Springfield GI and guess what? The one I looked at had the park coming off the slide serrations. You might want to look higher up in Springfield's model list.

I ended up going with a Rock River because it was cheap ($389 OTD) and I intend to do some tinkering with it and I didnt want to screw up an expensive 1911 with my tinkering. However I am sure RIA's are probably compared to a DPMS AR.

Do you even know what you are disagreeing with? The SA GI is a great base gun to build on and then you can address everything that you mentioned.

Also, there is a huge difference between a RRA 1911 and a RIA 1911... One is a very nicely built 1911 and the other isn't even a good base gun. Most master 1911 smiths wont even allow a RIA to be used as a base gun.

The RIA is a great $300-400 1911 but is not the same quality as the SA GI.

d90king
03-29-11, 12:14

A Colt WWI Repro would make a kick ass Centennial purchase, it would also make a great birthday present for you.;)

CAVDOC
03-29-11, 12:59
NOT saying they are bad guns but the 1911 is such an American icon it should be made in America- colt for me!
RIA,Citadel, American classic armscor- phillipines
Springfield Taurus- Brazil
Colt -USA
for commemorating the 100th anniversary the Colt is the gun.
any other maker perhaps in other scenarios

Pesty0311
03-29-11, 13:39
How about the new SA Range Officer? Great features great price..

durus5995
03-29-11, 15:07
Thanks guys for pointing out my mistake. I did mean RIA not RRA. I didnt even know that RRA even made 1911s until I re-read the thread and did some googleing.:D

My issues with the standard SA GI was about the durability of the finish. Back when I had my GI the cost difference between an RIA and a SA GI was roughly $150. Judging from the prices I have been seeing locally the gap is now more like $200 to $250+. Based on my experiences I just do not see a big enough of a quality jump for the $200ish price difference. That is most likely due to my inexperience and lack of absolute knowledge in the 1911 area.

I have handled a guys stainless SA GI and to tell you I feel completely opposite about that one vs. a parkerized version.

Avenger29
03-29-11, 18:45
After you shoot it, that might change. It did for me

Not likely. I have an M&P that is set up just the way I like it for CCW, plus the gear to go with it. The 1911 was the best and most advanced pistol available during that time frame, but I am sure that if JMB was alive today he'd have made changes and updates at a minimum (if not a completely different design). Strictly a range and (hopefully) an heirloom pistol.

A Colt WWI Repro would make a kick ass Centennial purchase, it would also make a great birthday present for you

I forgot they were making those. Good idea.

Thanks for the well wishes. It has been a pretty good day, today. I'm waiting for my tax "rebate" to come in (I don't put stuff on credit cards or go in debt for toys...plus my dealer doesn't accept credit cards) before I make the final decision on what to get.

sacmaster
03-29-11, 19:51
I vote Colt. The others are nice, but as nice as you make them, they won't be THE 1911.

ralph
03-30-11, 19:55
Colt, I second what sacmaster said..

browneu
03-30-11, 20:10
What's your price range? 1911s vary in price more than any other pistol I know of.

I'd recommend a Colt, series 70 National Match if you can find one.

Avenger29
03-30-11, 21:02
Keeping it under a grand.

Highly likely at this point is it's going to be a plain Series 70 Colt, blued. Nothing too fancy or anything, I don't have the money to go all out (nor does it make sense for a range gun).

browneu
03-30-11, 21:14
Happy birthday and that will be a great choice.

sacmaster
03-30-11, 21:23
Excellent choice IMHO, and happy birthday. Think of it this way: when most people who are ignorant in the way of firearms see a 1911, no matter if it is a Taurus or a Wilson CQB, will automatically identify it as a COLT .45

wetidlerjr
03-31-11, 05:58
Excellent choice IMHO, and happy birthday. Think of it this way: when most people who are ignorant in the way of firearms see a 1911, no matter if it is a Taurus or a Wilson CQB, will automatically identify it as a COLT .45

I would really rather not see a Taurus connected to Colt in any way. :blink::