PDA

View Full Version : 9mm 1911 question - topping off the magazine, next round drops out?

milosz
03-29-11, 00:52
I've shot a Nighthawk Talon in 9mm and now own a Talon II in 9mm - in both, when dropping the magazine to top it off (for 10+1), a round falls out of the magazine on its way out - like it had been partially stripped when the first round chambered maybe.

I haven't had a chance to try McCormick or Wilson magazines yet - wondering if this might be a Tripp thing (Tripp Cobras are the supplied magazine) or just to be expected of 9mm in the 1911?

Lincoln7
03-29-11, 03:10
This is most likely caused when you chamber the first round friction pulls the round directly beneath it forward, causing it's bullet tip to touch the feed ramp. When you release the magazine and pull it out, the round gets stripped from the magazine feed lips. It is also possible that the bullet tip is hitting the slide stop on the inside instead of the feed ramp. Look for a bit of copper on the underside of the slide stop to indicate this and also scratches on the brass case from the feed lips. This may be remedied by stronger magazine springs, tighter magazine feed lips, or a better/different magazine. Let us know what you find.

p7fl
03-29-11, 11:10
I've got 10 of the Tripp mags running on my 9mm STI Legacy.
The top round tends to move forward after loading, but I've never had a round drop out.
Definitely call Virgil. He answers the phone and has been responsive to all my questions.