PDA

View Full Version : Getting New Guns

ashleyh57
03-29-11, 03:38
The local police dept I work for is switching duty weapons. We were carrying the H&K USP in .40S&W and we'll be getting Sig P220's.

I am pleased with the choice overall and the weapons should be in within the month. Plus, we'll get to qual with the new weapons so it's a good excuse to get to the range and burn some powder on the Dept's dime.

Spiffums
03-29-11, 05:43
What reason, if any, did they give for going from a high cap to a single stack gun?

Ak44
03-29-11, 05:45
Is the Dept still keeping the HKs or they trading them into Sig?

ashleyh57
03-29-11, 06:42
They didn't give a reason for the swith to a single stack, I know the powers that be are real advocates of Sig and I carried one at the previous dept I worked for I liked it and the version we carried were much older and DAO.

ashleyh57
03-29-11, 06:45
They are selling the HKs to a local supply store and the local store was going to offer the guns to us but...I have heard rumors that the local store found out they could get more for the guns from an out of state buyer and they are now saying the price for us to buy one of our guns back is going to be considerably higher than had been originally said.

John_Wayne777
03-29-11, 06:48
Well...here's hoping your new guns work.

Ak44
03-29-11, 07:20
They are selling the HKs to a local supply store and the local store was going to offer the guns to us but...I have heard rumors that the local store found out they could get more for the guns from an out of state buyer and they are now saying the price for us to buy one of our guns back is going to be considerably higher than had been originally said.

Ah icic, that would of been nice to buy your old issued gun on the cheap.

Well...here's hoping your new guns work.

Yeah...I never understood the whole "If it ain't broke, let's replace it". New holsters, new mag pouches, new mags, new ammo...

ashleyh57
03-29-11, 08:06
A large reason for the replacement of the old guns was the ridiculous wait time on parts from HK. I think the dept was quoted something like an 18 month wait time on mag springs and mags. The HKs were almost 15 years old and we couldn't get parts.

We also received a grant which allowed us to replace our entire inventory and replace leather goods for approximately 60 officers for about six grand.

So, they weren't broke per se, they were getting there.

Ak44
03-29-11, 08:42
A large reason for the replacement of the old guns was the ridiculous wait time on parts from HK. I think the dept was quoted something like an 18 month wait time on mag springs and mags. The HKs were almost 15 years old and we couldn't get parts.

We also received a grant which allowed us to replace our entire inventory and replace leather goods for approximately 60 officers for about six grand.

Gotcha...well that's good.

SiGfever
03-29-11, 18:46
Old P220, good stuff. New SiGs, crap shoot (no pun intended).

So they are giving up a pistol that you can fire for ever, and when you run out of bullets beat the perp to death with it and then pass the pistol down to several new generations of Police Officers?

TheGreenRanger24
03-29-11, 19:00
If money was the main issue (I'm not saying it is, but IF it were), it seems to me that your department would be better off getting M&P .45s. Not that the bean counters really care about better options. :suicide2:

Good luck brother and shoot the snot out of your new duty weapon.

skyugo
03-29-11, 21:16
i'd be pissed.. good luck though.

F-Trooper05
03-29-11, 21:46
The good news is you aren't going to have to wait for extra parts.

The bad news is you're going to need lots of extra parts.

Iraqgunz
03-30-11, 06:26
Well there is some job security for the dept. armorers.

gtmtnbiker98
03-30-11, 08:59

The bad news is you're going to need lots of extra parts.So true. Thank goodness they'll be shot little and carried a lot.

Pistol Shooter
03-30-11, 09:06

The bad news is you're going to need lots of extra parts.

:lol:

Nicely played.

Seriously, I hope your new Sigs work out very well for you and your dept. OP.

I have a P220 that's 3 yrs. old and it's run great so far.

03-30-11, 10:23
As others have said, hope you have good luck with them. Not a pistol I would want to trust my life to.

CyberM4
03-30-11, 13:55

18 months for mags? heck call CDNN and order them. Where I got my Mags for my USPc SS 40.

badness
03-30-11, 14:34
I think i'd just go out and buy myself an hkusp45 or hk45 and carry that and just use the dept ammo to practice etc :secret:

Spiffums
03-30-11, 18:48

I know I had quite a wait from HKParts.net when I ordered my LEM kit and 2 springs to refub the used mags my USP came with and a hat.