PDA

View Full Version : Out-of-state rifle sales - Questions

offroad_nomad
09-24-07, 11:31
Newbie sales related questions.

I’m familiar with FTF rifle sales within my home state, Virginia. However, I’ve never sold a firearm to someone out-of-state. How does the seller get paid? I understand the rifle must be transferred from my FFL to the buyer's FFL. How do you guys handle the payment? Do you require full payment in advance of shipping, or have the buyer pay half before shipping and the remaining upon inspection/receipt?

I’m sure most folks are honest people, but how do you prevent the buyer from taking possession of the rifle from his/her FFL before receiving the payment?

I’m looking at selling a couple of rifles that I haven’t used in a while and I’d appreciate any advice or comments for out-of-state sales.

rubberneck
09-24-07, 12:15
Newbie sales related questions.

I’m familiar with FTF rifle sales within my home state, Virginia. However, I’ve never sold a firearm to someone out-of-state. How does the seller get paid? I understand the rifle must be transferred from my FFL to the buyer's FFL. How do you guys handle the payment? Do you require full payment in advance of shipping, or have the buyer pay half before shipping and the remaining upon inspection/receipt?

I’m sure most folks are honest people, but how do you prevent the buyer from taking possession of the rifle from his/her FFL before receiving the payment?

I’m looking at selling a couple of rifles that I haven’t used in a while and I’d appreciate any advice or comments for out-of-state sales.

Typically the buyer pays the seller the full amount plus the cost of shipping before the gun is shipped out. The cost of shipping is often negotiable between the two parties.

Payment is usually in the form of certified funds (Postal Money order or bank check), personal check or paypal (even though it violates their terms of service).

After payment is received and the funds have cleared the gun is shipped to the buyers FFL. Common courtesy dictates that the gun is fully insured and the buyer gets the tracking number as verification that the gun was shipped.

Buying a gun through one of these forums is a leap of faith for both parties but in particular the buyer. He usually has to send out certified funds in good faith hoping to receive the goods in the condition that was advertised in a timely manner.

I have only sold guns on two forums and always reserved the right to turn down an offer from a poster whom I wasn't comfortable dealing with. As a personal rule of thumb I will not sell a gun to a new poster or a guy with only a small handful of posts.