PDA

View Full Version : BCM Blem Lowers?

Mr. Goodtimes
03-29-11, 13:11
I'm fixing to buy another lower with the intent of having it SBR'ed for an 11.5in BCM upper. Normally I dont get to gay over what the rollmark on the side of my lower looks like but this one is going to be an NFA item so I want it to be something I wont mind looking at forever.

My question is do all the BCM blemished lower's have the old style BCM rollmark on them or do some have the new rollmark? I would prefer the new rollmark.

When it comes time to buy I'll be buying from G&R so, if you can chime in Grant, that would be great.

MistWolf
03-29-11, 13:27
I don't think BCM looks at a lower and says "Hmmm... this one is going to be a blem. Let's give it a special roll mark"

Iraqgunz
03-29-11, 13:29
I wouldn't look at an NFA lower as an investment. As long as you are using a good quality lower it's irrelevant.

Mr. Goodtimes
03-29-11, 13:31
I don't think BCM looks at a lower and says "Hmmm... this one is going to be a blem. Let's give it a special roll mark"

I realise that. I have seen atleast two different styles of BCM roll marks. I didn't know if all the blems were from a "bad" batch of older ones or if they are mixed in. I ask because all of the blem lowers I have seen to date had the older roll mark.

Mr. Goodtimes
03-29-11, 13:32
I wouldn't look at an NFA lower as an investment. As long as you are using a good quality lower it's irrelevant.

I have no idea why I said investment as I have no plans of selling it, ever.

kdcgrohl
03-29-11, 13:59
Bought one from Grant last October, it reads
BRAVO
COMPANY
MFG INC.

That said, email Grant.

Spooky130
03-29-11, 18:36

It almost is - you are going to go through a lot of pain so it is closer to a lifetime purchase than a Title 1 gun...

F_G
03-29-11, 19:31
I have 2 BCM blem lowers, one bought recently and the other about 6months ago. They both have the older rollmark. Contact Paul at BCM or Grant at G&R.

markm
03-29-11, 19:43
It almost is - you are going to go through a lot of pain so it is closer to a lifetime purchase than a Title 1 gun...

But the lower itself is like $100 worth of product. :confused:

Hardly a big chunk of change in the grand scheme.

CarlosLehder
03-30-11, 06:50
I would spend the extra $90 to get the non blemished lower. Mine only had a few marks, but I saw one a c ouple of weeks ago that had some marks all over it. I Think its in the blem lower thread.
If you want it to be nice to look at I would spend that extra

djegators
03-30-11, 06:56
I've handled a few, and most you can barely see the blem. Did see one with a decent sized gouge. On the other, function is flawless, and if you use it as intended you will scratches and dings soon enough. I'm guessing most here care less about cosmetics and rollmarks, and more about the lower being in spec with quality LPK.

trauma
04-03-11, 18:49
I barely ever find the blem it's so small

scoutfsu99
04-03-11, 20:04
But the lower itself is like $100 worth of product. :confused:

Hardly a big chunk of change in the grand scheme.

Whatever the price of the lower is, you need to add $200. So it does add up for a lower that is now more of a hassle to sell, if you go that route down the road.

I would have no problem NFAing a blem lower. But from what I'm tracking, you don't care if it's a blemished lower, you want the newer roll mark. From everything I've seen, the blems are older roll marks.

MistWolf
04-03-11, 20:24
See this thread for the Noveske option-
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=69631

Eurodriver
04-03-11, 23:10
See this thread for the Noveske option-
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=69631

hmm.....

Iraqgunz
04-03-11, 23:35
Why is it harder to sell? Am I missing something?

Whatever the price of the lower is, you need to add $200. So it does add up for a lower that is now more of a hassle to sell, if you go that route down the road.

I would have no problem NFAing a blem lower. But from what I'm tracking, you don't care if it's a blemished lower, you want the newer roll mark. From everything I've seen, the blems are older roll marks.

scoutfsu99
04-04-11, 00:13
I don't know? Am I missing something? I'm under the impression that once a lower is on the NFA registry there are only a couple ways to sell it. You can contact the ATF and de-register it or you can sell it as an NFA item to someone else. When you sell to people in other states, aren't there two tax stamps to pay? Or even in state, you have to find a buyer that wants an NFA lower, right?

What I was getting at is there are more hoops to jump through with an NFA weapon.

I might have misunderstood something and don't want to step on my dick here...

Iraqgunz
04-04-11, 00:30
Negative. It's been talked about oh 100 times or so.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html#receiver-sale

A stripped receiver without a barrel does not meet the definition of a SBR or SBS under the NFA. Although the previously registered firearm would remain registered unless the possessor notified the NFA Branch of the change, there is no provision in statute or regulation requiring registration of a firearm without a barrel because its physical characteristics would make it only a GCA “firearm” pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3)(B). If the subsequent owner buys the receiver as a GCA firearm and installs a barrel less than 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS), the firearm would be subject to a $200 making tax and registration under the NFA by the manufacturer or maker of the SBR or SBS. Because registration depends upon the stated intent of the applicant, there is no provision to allow registration of a NFA firearm by anyone other than the maker or manufacturer.

Installation of a barrel greater than 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) will remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA provided the registrant does not maintain control over the parts necessary to reconfigure the firearm as a SBR or SBS.

I don't know? Am I missing something? I'm under the impression that once a lower is on the NFA registry there are only a couple ways to sell it. You can contact the ATF and de-register it or you can sell it as an NFA item to someone else. When you sell to people in other states, aren't there two tax stamps to pay? Or even in state, you have to find a buyer that wants an NFA lower, right?

What I was getting at is there are more hoops to jump through with an NFA weapon.

I might have misunderstood something and don't want to step on my dick here...

LONGBOWAH
04-04-11, 05:10
I wouldn't bother with a blem if I was going to SBR it, especially now that the price delta is only $70.

FWIW, I have a few BCM blems and I'm still not sure what made them blems.

98z28
04-04-11, 07:16
Below is a blem lower I bought from G&R a couple weeks ago. It is an obvious blem. The finish is shiny and there are white specks all over it. This is a work gun that will get beat up in short order anyway, so saving the $70 was worth it. Just be aware that some blem lowers truly are blems.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd128/stelks98z28/2cc6824b.jpg

medicman816
04-04-11, 07:30
I also bought a blem lower a few weeks ago. Looks very similar to the one pictured above. Seems like a new batch that is considerably "blemmed" than previous batches. I think this was discussed in a thread previously. Roll mark looks the same as the one pictured above as well. FWIW, mine is at the engravers as I type this. I figure that it will get "blems" along the way anyways, and this way I wont be worried about making the first one myself.

scoutfsu99
04-04-11, 08:25
Negative. It's been talked about oh 100 times or so.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html#receiver-sale

Roger, thanks for the info.