PDA

View Full Version : Quick Hammer / Selector Question

SpaceWrangler
03-29-11, 13:56
Question regarding a 1991-vintage Colt Sporter Lightweight (6530), all original, including the sear block (boo, hiss).

Whenever the BCG is locked to the rear, the Selector is stiff when being switched back to 'Safe'. When the BCG is released forward into battery, the Selector feels right again.

When fiddling with the Lower by itself, the Selector has quite a bit of tension on it when the hammer is back and pressed down by my thumb (as if the BCG were to the rear, pressing down on the hammer). When the hammer is allowed to spring back up into its normal cocked position, the Selector frees up again.

What specific areas of the Hammer and / or Selector should I work on to free up the Selector with the BCG locked back?

Thanks.

Belmont31R
03-29-11, 14:00
I would just replace the selector first (cheapest), and then the FCG if the first doesn't work.

I would not go hacking on your selector or FCG.

Duffy
03-29-11, 20:28
Try a new detent and detent spring. There are several components at play in the dynamics of fire control group, we have seen most of them.

The last time we saw this happening (with our selector), it was not the trigger, hammer, or bolt carrier, but the detent. Your case may be different though.

Remove the selector and see if there's new wear marks :)

aflin
03-29-11, 20:52
Try a new detent and detent spring.

+1, my selector was incredibly stiff. I switched out the detent and detent spring. Made a difference. As well, you can also try cutting the spring down, 2-4 coils depending. Don't overdo it.

Iraqgunz
03-29-11, 21:04
ALWAYS start with the lowest common denominator if you are unsure.

pcf
03-29-11, 21:20
It's normal, you might be on the snug side of tolerances, but it's nothing to be concerned with. (I'm not articulate, but I'm trying my best) If you push the hammer down with your thumb, you'll see that you hammer moves back just a hair, from the front of the trigger and hammer contacting each other. This raises the back of the trigger where it meets the selector and there's a little interference between the selector and the trigger.

If you're rifle passes a function check, I wouldn't mess with anything.

SpaceWrangler
03-29-11, 23:02
Thank you, gents. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Stretch67/Fun/thumbs.gif