PDA

View Full Version : Favorite 9mm defensive loads

graffex
09-24-07, 11:55
I'm curious to hear what your guys favorite defensive loads are in 9mm.

I usually stick with 124gr +p Federal Hydroshocks. I hear alot of people prefer the 124gr +p Speer GoldDots. I was about to order some of the GoldDots from midways but then came across Black Hills 124gr +p which use GoldDots as well. I'm not sure which one I should order, I know Black Hills is supposed to be extremely good ammo so I guess I'm kinda leaning towards them right now.

What are you're guys thoughts?

DocGKR
09-24-07, 12:13
Try reading this: http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=78;t=000964

rob_s
09-24-07, 12:22
First off, I wouldn't get TOO wrapped around the axles about choosing defensive loads in handguns. Things like Speer loaded Gold Dots vs. Black Hills loaded is virtually insignificant on paper. If they all pass the 12" test (or are on the list in the above link) then it comes down to reliability, feeding, availability, and just plain voodoo. :p

You may also want to consider which and how many 9mm platforms you intend to feed. When I was carrying 9mm I went with the 124+P Gold Dots as well because I was feeding a Glock 19 and 26, and it was my understanding that these rounds maintained their wound properties better in the short barrel of the 26 than some of the others.

Robb Jensen
09-24-07, 12:25
My favorite is Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ in 9mm. For guns smaller than the Glock 26 (like my Kahr PM9) I like Federal 115gr +P+.

graffex
09-24-07, 12:36
First off, I wouldn't get TOO wrapped around the axles about choosing defensive loads in handguns. Things like Speer loaded Gold Dots vs. Black Hills loaded is virtually insignificant on paper. If they all pass the 12" test (or are on the list in the above link) then it comes down to reliability, feeding, availability, and just plain voodoo. :p

You may also want to consider which and how many 9mm platforms you intend to feed. When I was carrying 9mm I went with the 124+P Gold Dots as well because I was feeding a Glock 19 and 26, and it was my understanding that these rounds maintained their wound properties better in the short barrel of the 26 than some of the others.

Well I have a Glock 17 and I'm going to be getting a 19 then a 34 eventually. So it's only going to be Glocks.

graffex
09-24-07, 12:38
Try reading this: http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=78;t=000964

Thanks Doc that chart and analysis is very helpful. That should be made a sticky.

Another thing I was curious about is how much you guys practice shooting paper with duty loads?

I always practice with WWB 115gr because I get it locally for 17.00 per 100. I usually try to shoot 500-600 rounds per outing so shooting duty ammo at the rate would take me broke quick! Do you guys just suck it up and buy the good stuff or do you buy a 100 rounds or so of duty ammo and take along a couple hundred rounds of practice stuff or what?

TacDoc
09-24-07, 13:40
Thanks Doc that chart and analysis is very helpful. That should be made a sticky.

Another thing I was curious about is how much you guys practice shooting paper with duty loads?

I always practice with WWB 115gr because I get it locally for 17.00 per 100. I usually try to shoot 500-600 rounds per outing so shooting duty ammo at the rate would take me broke quick! Do you guys just suck it up and buy the good stuff or do you buy a 100 rounds or so of duty ammo and take along a couple hundred rounds of practice stuff or what?

When I get a new handgun, I try to test a few hundred rounds of the intended carry ammo just to verify my gun is reliable with this ammo. Other than that, one or two times a year I shoot my old carry loads and get fresh ones. I do practice with WWB or AE 115gr FMJ.

To the first poster, I like Winchester Rangers 147gr because where I live I dont have underpenetration issues caused by winter clothes ;) .

Paulinski
09-24-07, 14:58
I like Hornady Tap 147gr loads.

GLOCKMASTER
09-24-07, 20:05
I feed my G19 with Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P.

ST911
09-25-07, 00:35
BHA 115 +P GDHP or 124 +P GDHP, all platforms. Including pistol caliber carbines.

JLM
09-25-07, 03:35
Rob, I like the Gold Dots for one major reason, they are hell for accurate out of my p226.

Win 147 Ranger is a good load too.

rob_s
09-25-07, 08:11
Rob, I like the Gold Dots for one major reason, they are hell for accurate out of my p226.

That's a good point, and one that I left off my list.

If I were looking for a new carry load in any caliber, I'd do the following:
1) Get my hands on a selection of the rounds in the link provided that I could
2) Check for function with as many of each round as I can, discount any brand that won't feed
3) Check for accuracy between the loads
4) Select the most accurate (or the one that shoots to POA). If two shoot to the same POA then select the one that's more readily available.

Trim2L
09-25-07, 10:14
I hand load all my own ammunition and use Gold Dot bullets. The info that Doc posted is the reason I switched to Gold Dots a few years back.

MX5
09-25-07, 10:28
Federal Premium Expanding Full Metal Jacket, 9mm +P, 124 gr. (P9CSP1). No hollowpoint to plug with clothing thereby defeating hollowpoint expansion. Consistent, reliable expansion in short barrel handguns and exhibits low flash signature.

Rob96
09-26-07, 03:50
BHA 115 +P GDHP or 124 +P GDHP, all platforms. Including pistol caliber carbines.

I use the 124gr+p from them as well in my G19. Didn't BHA stop using the Gold Dot though?

ST911
09-26-07, 09:29
I use the 124gr+p from them as well in my G19. Didn't BHA stop using the Gold Dot though?

Yes. Current production uses the Hornady XTP. Fortunately, I was able to secure a stockpile of the GDHP.

Bushytale
09-27-07, 03:34
Speer Gold Dot 124gr. for full size guns. For any with shorter barrels the 124+p. The IWBA recommends not using the +p in longer barrels due to over-expansion reducing penetration depth. Buy from a LE source in 50 rd. boxes for a much more reasonable price.

Billy

m4fun
09-27-07, 14:40
I use Hirtenberger 115gr +P+ for carry - great terminal ballistics - this is not the supper hot Hirt made for subguns. I do regular cycling of the ammo through all my carry guns to ensure functionality and load new rounds for my own sanity.

Spooky130
09-27-07, 21:29

DocGR,

Just wondering if there have been any updates to that list since it was posted in April 2005? Has anything else worthy hit the market in the last two years?

Spooky

twodollarbill
09-28-07, 15:40
My personal carry is a Glock 19c loaded with original black box "Black Talon"

Am I the only guy that still shoots this??

Yes, I did hoard a stockpile!!!

JLM
09-28-07, 15:43
two,

As Doc as pointed out, with the advent of more modern designs like the Ranger T, there is no reason to stick with an old design like the Black T. I bet you could get rich off of selling your stash thou :D

twodollarbill
09-28-07, 19:47
two,

As Doc as pointed out, with the advent of more modern designs like the Ranger T, there is no reason to stick with an old design like the Black T. I bet you could get rich off of selling your stash thou :D

I think you maybe right.......

As for the hoards of ammo I've stockpiled over the years, I have way too much.

I have always logged what I've shot downrange, if I doubled what I've shot
and saved that number for my two sons still in school...........sold the rest.

I think I could retire early.

10-04-07, 10:40
Right now it's Speer Gold Dot 115 +P+ in my G17.

Throughout my G17's tenure, I've tested and carried:

Corbon DPX 115 +P. Awesome penetration and reportedely reliable expansion, but too expensive to shoot regularly (I like to shoot and rotate my carry ammo every month or two). Very pleasant to shoot.

Corbon 125 +P. Judging by some of the chrono data I've seen of these, it's not uncommon for them to push 1,300 FPS from a G17. That's starting to get into .357 magnum territory.

Speer Gold Dot 124+P. Probably what I'm going to revert back to when I finish my 115 +P+ gold dots. Pretty much the standard for a 9mm SD load, and a bit more docile than those +P+ 115s (after two magazines at an indoor range, my ears ache if I don't double up on hearing protection).

In the end though, worrying about your ammo and scutinizing its performance is more for killing time on the internet than anything else. I'd be comfortable carrying most SD loads from any reputable manufacturer as long as I know it works in my gun, and it will do at least 10" in clothed gel.

GONIF
10-09-07, 18:59
Speer GD +p 124 or Win Ranger 124. but since I got my .357 sig (Sig P229) I rarely carry a 9.

RogerinTPA
10-09-07, 22:40
For my M&P 9c, 3 x 12 round mags, each with 4 mag safe rounds first, then 8 corbon 115 grain +P+ rounds.

Frag
10-20-07, 03:45
DocGR,

Just wondering if there have been any updates to that list since it was posted in April 2005? Has anything else worthy hit the market in the last two years?

Spooky
Spooky here is the original post it's on the AR15.com

AR15.com -> Ammunition -> Best choices for defensive ammunition - Updated 2/5/2007 (http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=237)

Hope that helps...

Frag
10-20-07, 03:52
I'm curious to hear what your guys favorite defensive loads are in 9mm.

I usually stick with 124gr +p Federal Hydroshocks. I hear alot of people prefer the 124gr +p Speer GoldDots. I was about to order some of the GoldDots from midways but then came across Black Hills 124gr +p which use GoldDots as well. I'm not sure which one I should order, I know Black Hills is supposed to be extremely good ammo so I guess I'm kinda leaning towards them right now.

What are you're guys thoughts?

rmdugan84 I've done some testing with 9x19mm cartridges. I've gone through months of research and a lot of range time with different ammo.

You can read some of my conclusions here: Frag.110mb.com (http://frag.110mb.com). I have completed the denim testing but due to a demanding job and family have not been able to update.

As soon as I have some more free time I'll update the site. I have pages and pages of work laid out for updating. I even included the Black Talons. Compared to today’s technology they are a relic.

In any case have a look at the site let me know if you have any questions.

Frag

BTW My favorite load is Federal’s HST 124gr +P JHP (it's my home protection & general carry load)

rocket56
01-30-08, 14:32
I'M surprized nobody listed Cor-bon DPX......This is what I like and use as defensive rounds................

DocGKR
01-30-08, 14:56
rmdugan84--It is a sticky at TF.

Spooky130--my original post at TF is constantly updated as new data is derived.

Frag--the ARF.com post is NOT my original post.

MX5-- You wrote:
"Federal Premium Expanding Full Metal Jacket, 9mm +P, 124 gr. (P9CSP1). No hollowpoint to plug with clothing thereby defeating hollowpoint expansion. Consistent, reliable expansion in short barrel handguns and exhibits low flash signature." In fact, the EFMJ's often have problems deforming correctly, as noted below:
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/docgkr/myhomepage/EFMJ.jpg

Beat Trash
02-09-08, 15:28
The Department I work for (1,100 officer Department in SW Ohio) issues the 147 gr Winchester white box JHP. Same load as when we transitioned from revolvers in mid to late 1980's. It works with proper shot placement, but then so would a FMJ round, or a sharp stick, or a big rock...

For my personal guns, carried on my own time, I use the Winchester Ranger 147 gr load (RA9T). This was after alot of searching out info on the topic (Thanks Dr. Roberts).

A nice thing about the Ranger 147 gr loading is that the point of aim and felt recoil is the same in all of my guns as the 147 fr FMJ loading from Winchester, that my Department uses for practice. I shot enough of the Ranger T loading to be satisfied that it functioned in each gun being loaded with it (Glock 19 and 26, and now S&W M&P9C). I then use the FMJ practice round for practice and training.

I have carried the Ranger T loading off duty for about 6 years. There might be newer and better loadings now, but it costs a bit of money to switch and function check the ammo with the gun. I'll most likely stick to this load for awhile.

Our Department upgraded our S&W 5946's to 9mm M&P's (great gun) last year, but the ammunition won't change until a change in command staff occurs. Politics...

When at work, I concentrate on tactics and shot placement, and hope for the best as far as ammunition goes...

rathos
02-11-08, 01:10
I like the buffalo bore ammo. They load a gold dot hotter then any other ammo out there. They are very accurate as well. I carry it in my beretta 92.

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#9mm

lowprone
02-11-08, 22:05
I settled on the Hirtenberger 100gr FL Police, truncated cone, semi jacketed soft tip that clocks 1400 fps, overpenetrates " that is why the FBI rejected it " expands to twice its diameter. I bought many cases from Kieslers Police Supply in
the 80's, still have 7K.

MikeO
03-06-08, 13:24
The Euro/International ideal police duty ammo now is the flip side of the FBI's. When they aren't using FMJ ammo, they want lightweight, high speed stuff that penetrates less than 30cm/12 inches in bare gel, Stuff like GECO/RUAG Action, Hirtenberger EMB, MEN QD/PEP. There are even some lightweight, high speed loads designed for tactical barrier penetration, but w less penetration than heavier FMJ (less than 45cm/18 inches).

MEN QD1/90g, <8/.60

MEN PEP/91g, <12/.48

MEN QD2/93g, <18/.355

Magtech First Defense SCHP/92.6g, 11/.67 (kinda like DPX, but w less penetration)

Info from a buddy in the Polizei who is a firearms instructor.

WS6
03-06-08, 18:28
I keep 124gr +P Ranger Talon's in my SIG.

John Fettes
03-15-08, 23:55
DPX in the Glocks 19 & 26. HST 124 in the Kahr PM9.

John

bluedog
03-26-08, 15:17
Choosing for the list at: http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bi...;f=78;t=000964, I ended up with 147 gr. Gold Dots. In this town the 124 gr. +P (Ranger or Gold Dot) is either generally not available or is so steeply marked up as to be ridiculous. I feel fortunate to have a shop that sells the 147 gr. at a decent price. I may send away for a case of 124 gr. +P Gold Dots or RA9TP if I can find a seller who will ship to HNL.

John Fettes
03-26-08, 15:34
I may send away for a case of 124 gr. +P Gold Dots or RA9TP if I can find a seller who will ship to HNL.

I have bought from these guys a few times, you might give them a call.

http://miragetechnologies.net/product_info.php?products_id=40

Good shopping!

John

Fail-Safe
03-26-08, 21:38
Gimme 147gr Winchester Ranger Talons in all my 9mms. Full size to sub compact.

I still cant understand why people go lighter in the bullet, the smaller the gun. Makes no sense. Then again, I cant figure out why people insist on using lightweight ammo at all, or JHPs that were designed to meet 80's tech.

In .45acp, I am using the last of my 230gr Winchester Ranger Talons. I will then use up my remaining 230g+P Federal Tactical Bonded. I'm thinking about going to HST2.

Neville
03-27-08, 08:38
I settled on the Hirtenberger 100gr FL Police, expands to twice its diameter.

Sorry to dissapoint you, but I hope you never have to rely on it. It was co-developed by Austrian police with Hirtenberger so that it doesn't expand in bad guys at all. I have the official specs lying in front of me and can scan them if you want- and can read German. All it does is to prevent ricochetts better than FMJ.

MX5
04-08-08, 07:03
DocGKR, we don't dispute your results, but we came to our conclusions based on a wide range of criteria other than expansion alone. We admit we're not experts in the field, but we are thinkers. Our tests used a wide range of various clothing articles typically found on the street and also considered feeding in a wide range of unmodified weapons, low muzzle flash after dark, control and recovery during rapid fire. YMMV

CarlosDJackal
04-08-08, 09:24
My favorite is Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ in 9mm...

DITTO!!