PDA

View Full Version : JP Enterprises AR's

Claymation
03-29-11, 16:28
I searched the forums for any info on JP's AR's to no avail, so maybe y'all can help me out.

From what I've taken from this board thus far, most on this board consider the "high quality AR's" to be DD, Colt, LWRC, BCM, LMT, and Noveske, in no particular order. I know there's a bunch of room to debate with this (ha!) but for the most part this is true. My question is this. I've been looking at the LMT MRP for a few weeks but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I was presented with an opportunity to buy a used JP Enterprises AR (not sure what model yet) today, but I know nothing about JPE. In everyone's opinion, does JPE belong in the list of the manf's I listed or are they below?

Belmont31R
03-29-11, 16:31
Impossible to say with the information you've given.

bkb0000
03-29-11, 16:36
JP is gonna be around RRA and Armalite as far as material and construction specs go, but more space-gunny in configuration. they're not fighting guns, they're game guns. in the last couple years, JP has realized the tactical crowd is spending more money, so they've started to dabble... but they're still a game manfer.

Stik
03-29-11, 17:42
JP is gonna be around RRA and Armalite as far as material and construction specs go, but more space-gunny in configuration. they're not fighting guns, they're game guns. in the last couple years, JP has realized the tactical crowd is spending more money, so they've started to dabble... but they're still a game manfer.

I totally agree, JP's are game guns for 3-gunners and competition shooters that take good care in maintenance of their weapons. With adjustable gas blocks and lightweight carriers and buffers, they would not be a choice for a SHTF gun, however, I do believe they are high quality for what they are designed for.

Claymation
03-29-11, 19:11
I totally agree, JP's are game guns for 3-gunners and competition shooters that take good care in maintenance of their weapons. With adjustable gas blocks and lightweight carriers and buffers, they would not be a choice for a SHTF gun, however, I do believe they are high quality for what they are designed for.

I guess the argument could be made then that JPE guns would make excellent hunting rifles?? Although it's the least of my concerns, they sure do look pretty high speed.

bkb0000
03-29-11, 19:21
I guess the argument could be made then that JPE guns would make excellent hunting rifles?? Although it's the least of my concerns, they sure do look pretty high speed.

JPs are great guns for what they're for. very smooth, accurate shooters. but for hunting, you want something you can use as a tent-peg hammer.. that can get rained on, dropped in mud puddles, rattled around, drug through brush, etc, etc.. not something hyper tuned for specific controlled environments.

i'm not telling you not to buy the thing... just cautioning you not to buy it hoping it'll double for a field gun- that wouldnt be a smart investment.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-29-11, 19:27

Especially if you are a prairie dog! I have a JP upper and it doesn't have M4 feed ramps and the LMOS/Adj. gas system is potentially a liability, though they do make a Tactical version. I don't like the non-locking adjustment of the gas system, or the fact you'd need a wrench to change it.

That said, their barrels, at least in mine, and as far as I have seen from other examples, are stone cold accurate. Fairly low in profile for light weight- so you'd think it would walk as it gets hot, but they are cryogenicly treated and it seems to keep it from warping and changing POI.

You take the LMOS, Adj. gas, and the brake they offer and you get something that has so little recoil it makes calling your hits and misses simple.

The old JP/Viking handguards (the rail-less round tube ones) will get hot. I think I shot 60-70 shots in about 90 seconds and I could no longer comfortably hold the foreend. Don't know about the new rails, I have ran mine thru the same regimen.

Because they do focus on gamer guns, I don't think they get the same notice that a Noveske or Rock barrel get, though I think they are every bit as potentially accurate.

aflin
03-29-11, 20:50
Like everyone has said, they're designed for 3-gun competitions. No more, no less. If I was a serious 3 gun guru, I would look nowhere else but JP enterprises. For a true fighting gun, I stick with what's proven and tried.

Note: Their bolt carriers group's are simply amazing. When racking the charging handle, it was like butter. But that doesn't say anything about reliability or durability

Nevermiss
03-29-11, 20:51
Find out the specs on the rifle you are getting and consider your intended purpose, then call JP with your questions if you want qualified answers.

I own several JPs and many of the others that you have mentioned.

MarkG
03-29-11, 22:25
Find out the specs on the rifle you are getting and consider your intended purpose, then call JP with your questions if you want qualified answers.

I own several JPs and many of the others that you have mentioned.

Agreed... I own two JP's that have been through countless three gun matches over the last 6 years. Except for expected maintenance and and a couple of barrel replacements, the rifles have performed flawlessly. I've got cash money that says everyone poo-pooing them has never owned one. Given that fact, their unqualified or anecdotal comments are worth less than zero.

philipeggo
03-29-11, 22:37
I was checking out their website and found it odd that they dont let you buy a full auto carrier . Makes me wonder. For the record ive never owned any jp product but have heard nothing but good things about their individual components.

bkb0000
03-29-11, 22:52
Agreed... I own two JP's that have been through countless three gun matches over the last 6 years. Except for expected maintenance and and a couple of barrel replacements, the rifles have performed flawlessly. I've got cash money that says everyone poo-pooing them has never owned one. Given that fact, their unqualified or anecdotal comments are worth less than zero.

there isn't a single person in this thread that's "poo-pooing" JP.

MarkG
03-29-11, 22:56
there isn't a single person in this thread that's "poo-pooing" JP.

Interesting... I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

graffex
03-30-11, 00:05
Interesting... I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

No one is doing anything but pointing out the facts. There is zero level's of "poo-pooing" :rolleyes:

Narco
03-30-11, 02:40
LRP-07 16" Is as light as my BCM and shoots just as smooth. I have personally seen JP's survive Carbine 1 & 2 of Magpul Dynamics classes where others have failed. BCM 14.5 middy is a great AR. Cant go wrong with either.

Treehopr
03-30-11, 08:17
I searched the forums for any info on JP's AR's to no avail, so maybe y'all can help me out.

From what I've taken from this board thus far, most on this board consider the "high quality AR's" to be DD, Colt, LWRC, BCM, LMT, and Noveske, in no particular order. I know there's a bunch of room to debate with this (ha!) but for the most part this is true. My question is this. I've been looking at the LMT MRP for a few weeks but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I was presented with an opportunity to buy a used JP Enterprises AR (not sure what model yet) today, but I know nothing about JPE. In everyone's opinion, does JPE belong in the list of the manf's I listed or are they below?

Never owned a full JP Rifle but have used their components over the years in various builds (free float handguards, triggers, gas blocks).

JP quality is more along the lines of Noveske or Larue rather than DD, Colt, BCM or LMT.

Each rifle is assembled by a single technician at his work bench with his own set of tools rather than being on a factory production/assembly line.

To say that they only make "gamer" guns is misleading, they make guns optimized for the needs of their customers. If their customer is a "gamer" then you'll get a space gun, if the customer is looking for a tactical rifle then they can build that too.

I've had several SME's over the years say "JP" when a someone asked "who makes the best AR?"

Things like rail-less free float handguards, mid-length gas systems and 1/8" barrels that are becoming popular now? JP was doing that years ago.

Ned Christiansen
03-30-11, 09:14
JP's long history of doing competition-oriented guns and parts, maybe more so the fact (OK, personal opinion) that they've done it so well, might make their foray into LE / tactical take a little more effort.

I'll just say that watching their stuff over the years, and with an ear to the ground as to their reputation, and personal dealings with them in the last 3-4 years, my take on them boils down to, outside the box thinkers, very quality and service oriented, willing to listen.

My very favorite bolt carrier is their tactical model. It is not lightened or anything like that.... it has their QPQ finish on it and is very smoothe in the upper. But the thing I like best about it, and is a way under-noticed feature, is that the clearance notch for the dust cover detent is just big enough. This means that if you're a guy who likes to close the dust cover between strings or what have you, if it won't close, you know the bolt is forward but not in battery. Not exactly a chamber-check but does give one more little bit of feedback that could be valuable.

I've worked with a couple of their fore-ends recently and they are really well-made.

500grains
03-30-11, 09:45
I guess the argument could be made then that JPE guns would make excellent hunting rifles??

They are very accurate, and not heavy so yes they would be a good hunting gun.

glocktogo
03-30-11, 23:00
I was checking out their website and found it odd that they dont let you buy a full auto carrier . Makes me wonder. For the record ive never owned any jp product but have heard nothing but good things about their individual components.

FA carriers are not in line with their AR cycling philosophy. They focus on lightweight reciprocating parts for faster cycle times and less sight upset. If you're looking at a JP rifle, you're looking for a rifle that will drive tacks at any range that barely moves when you fire it. They do what they do very well, but that doesn't cover the entire AR spectrum. Game guns are subjected to harsh lives on the firing cycle, but not much else.

If I was looking for a pure game gun I could also take hunting, I'd get a 20" JP without question. Since I wanted an AR that would cover a broader spectrum of what I might use one for, I went with an 18" Noveske Rogue Hunter. Having fired it and a JP side by side, I don't feel like I'm at much of a disadvantage. :)

PrarieDog
03-30-11, 23:37
I find this thread interesting in that JP makes a very good rifle and they produce a rifle for all aspects from gamer to tactical. Check their website.

As for some of the responses I find that some people logic may be flawed. JP makes quality parts and whole rifles that are used by some of the best shooters in the world. They run the piss out of their guns and JP performs. To me, if these top shooters are running these rifles winning with them then they have a product that should be considered more than just a gamer rifle. Other than actual battle were are you going to test things, competition is where. Just as the military goes to other competitors for training and development ie race driving schools and racers for specilized vehicle development, I would think that going to one of the top rifle builders for a rifle would be considered a wise chioce as they have some great experience to draw upon.

Granted you are not going to go with the full gamer build but they have the experience to build a rifle that would work for the customer's need. Just my thought.

glocktogo
03-31-11, 00:08
I find this thread interesting in that JP makes a very good rifle and they produce a rifle for all aspects from gamer to tactical. Check their website.

As for some of the responses I find that some people logic may be flawed. JP makes quality parts and whole rifles that are used by some of the best shooters in the world. They run the piss out of their guns and JP performs. To me, if these top shooters are running these rifles winning with them then they have a product that should be considered more than just a gamer rifle. Other than actual battle were are you going to test things, competition is where. Just as the military goes to other competitors for training and development ie race driving schools and racers for specilized vehicle development, I would think that going to one of the top rifle builders for a rifle would be considered a wise chioce as they have some great experience to draw upon.

Granted you are not going to go with the full gamer build but they have the experience to build a rifle that would work for the customer's need. Just my thought.

Their game guns are excellent. So are STI 2011's. But both run on the tight side spec-wise to get the accuracy their customers demand. Those tight specs can and do lead to issues off the competition field. They might build their tactical stuff to different specs, but we know that some of the other top makers take real world reliability into account.

After all, just because Ferrari makes great F1 cars doesn't mean they're the go to choice for a daily commuter car in an area with run down infrastructure! :)

motorwerks
03-31-11, 01:21
I have a bunch of their little parts but not a full gun. I LOVE my trigger and their springs on my stock-ish triggers.

Norone
03-31-11, 11:34
Treehopr is correct and it is wise to heed him as we both have had the same face to face consults. When serious competitive and tactical heavy hitters tell you over beers or phones JP makes the best then believe it.
I have used JP parts in Iraq and Afghanistan for years in Bushys, M&Ps, Colts with not one problem, honestly gents.

My JP-CTR as it sits now literally does not recoil and if at all it goes downward. Its set to run a particular way and so far has survived the hell I have put it through.
Still in less than 1 minute I can set it to run from Korean Village to Spin to Jo-Burg on any ammo and terrain to answer the question of reliability in ops.

JP can make you the gun you want and set it to be changed to what you need.

trauma
04-03-11, 18:46
The 3 gun stuff is way lighter than you would think for 18" barrel