PDA

View Full Version : "Franken Builds"

ghostman1960
03-29-11, 21:03
I have heard the term a lot on different boards but never gave it much thought as my rifles were always Colts, Bushmasters (when they were still cool) and a S&W MP15.

Now that I have assembled one for the first time I guess it falls into the category of "Franken Build" It has a BCM 14.5" middy upper with Troy rails, TD stubby QD VFG, a Spikes BCG, a RRA lower with a DD LPK.

Of course it was dipped in Magpul with a CTR stock, full MIAD grip, MBUS, XTM panels and a BAD lever.

I love the way the weapon shoots and have no complaints about it. I just dont know what to call it when someone asks me what it is. So I just call it my 14.5" middy.

But dang it is what it is, a Franken Gun and I hate that term for some reason.

An Undocumented Worker
03-29-11, 21:05
You could just call it a Mutt, and in general mutts have less problems than purebreds. :p

strambo
03-29-11, 21:12
Both my ARs are "Franken-rifles". They each have factory assembled uppers, so I think of them by the upper; an MRP and DD 14.5 LW middy.

Quiet-Matt
03-29-11, 21:16
Heinz 57 or just Heinz, it's what we call a mut dog of multiple breeds.

11B101ABN
03-29-11, 21:27
Quality parts, assembled to the proper specs, should give you a fine weapon. A factory assembled upper really doesn't fall into that category, IMO.

Enjoy your piece. Shoot the shit out of it.

Don Robison
03-29-11, 21:37
JMHO, a frankengun is a gun takes the "finest" parts a gun show has to offer and then is assembled without a clue.

ZRH
03-29-11, 22:07
Meh, fashionista gun owners. I've never bought a new factory firearm completely assembled. Same with computers. Haven't put together my own car yet though >.>

Eric D.
03-29-11, 22:21
while not technically correct with the midlength gas system, I'd just call it an M4 and watch the eyebrows rise :cool:

tog
03-29-11, 22:30
If it functions okay I sure wouldn't worry about it being a franken rifle.

jeminyned
03-29-11, 22:39
I call mine a "hybrid" - it's a RRA lower with a BM upper that I reconfigured with some special goodies that I installed on it before i got my BCM Middy that also has special goodies! :)

Kevin_J
03-29-11, 22:47
Heinz 57 or just Heinz, it's what we call a mut dog of multiple breeds.

:) Just like everything else in Pittsburgh!

Packman73
03-29-11, 23:06
I'd call it whatever the upper is. If anyone cares to know more, tell them the make of the lower.

Mr. Goodtimes
03-29-11, 23:44
Nothing wrong with a mutt gun as long as quality parts were used in the build.

Quentin
03-30-11, 00:01
Well to be true to Mary Shelley's book, a FrankenAR monster would be assembled of haphazard parts that don't work so well together. If you designed your AR well and used quality parts, the term really doesn't apply.

So just call it an AR build, or custom built AR, or lovingly call it a FrankenAR. I've got a 1913 FrankenLuger cobbled together from at least 15 different Lugers but it's a real shooter so I'm proud of its heritage. And back in 1989 I published a couple articles in computer magazines referring to a PC I built as a FrankenPC or Frankenputer but since it worked great, these were affectionate terms. Anyway, no doubt the term has been used well over 100 years for things cobbled together.

djegators
03-30-11, 00:04
Well to be true to Mary Shelley's book, a FrankenAR monster would be assembled of haphazard parts that don't work so well together. If you designed your AR well and used quality parts, the term really doesn't apply.

So just call it an AR build, or custom built AR, or lovingly call it a FrankenAR. I've got a 1913 FrankenLuger cobbled together from at least 15 different Lugers but it's a real shooter so I'm proud of its heritage. And back in 1989 I published a couple articles in computer magazines referring to a PC I built as a FrankenPC or Frankenputer but since it worked great, these were affectionate terms. Anyway, no doubt the term has been used well over 100 years for things cobbled together.

This. While I think FrankenAR is a dumb term, it does seem to denote more of a trash bin spare parts rifle, not one of quality uppers and lowers from different companies.

ZRH
03-30-11, 00:07
The stupid thing is FRANKENSTEIN ISN'T THE MONSTER >.O Victor Frankenstein, is the guy who made the monster.

</english lit rage>

BCmJUnKie
03-30-11, 00:58
Meh, fashionista gun owners. I've never bought a new factory firearm completely assembled. Same with computers. Haven't put together my own car yet though >.>

Me neither, (with the exception of a pistol) Building a rifle is what makes it "your" rifle. And thats the best part

walter34payton2002
03-30-11, 01:51
I have a BCM upper, BCM BCG, BCM receiver extension, G&R LPK, and Spikes lower. The way I always answer that question is "it's a Bravo Company sitting on a Spikes lower. Usually they say "what's that" in reference to BCM. Then I just say "its more professional grade stuff, nice DPMS" and move on (not in a snobby way but in a I don't want to discuss it further way).....

Its funny I think an AR should be judged more what it is by the upper considering it is more critical than the lower, but ATF considers the lower the firearm......

Eurodriver
03-30-11, 03:17
Not really, how would you register a full auto upper???

I've brought it up before, but I just can't get over it.

In one of these threads I mentioned how I had a BCM 14.5" upper on a Bushmaster lower...and you would not believe the scolding I got. My favorite reply was to the effect of "Teeheehee, what do you shoot out of it, .223? LOL" The best part? It was a stripped SBR'd lower with quality internals from many years ago. What am I gonna do? Sell it?

I'm glad that seems to have went away. Anyone looking for a good laugh should search for it.

Iraqgunz
03-30-11, 03:37
Personally I see no problem with using a Bushy lower if that is what you have.

Not really, how would you register a full auto upper???

I've brought it up before, but I just can't get over it.

In one of these threads I mentioned how I had a BCM 14.5" upper on a Bushmaster lower...and you would not believe the scolding I got. My favorite reply was to the effect of "Teeheehee, what do you shoot out of it, .223? LOL" The best part? It was a stripped SBR'd lower with quality internals from many years ago. What am I gonna do? Sell it?

I'm glad that seems to have went away. Anyone looking for a good laugh should search for it.

jonconsiglio
03-30-11, 04:34

Just like everything else in Pittsburgh, n'at! (and that).

I think Fraken-build refers more to a complete parts gun, usually with lower quality parts. I wouldn't refer to a quality upper mTed to a quality lower a Fraken-build.

MistWolf
03-30-11, 05:39
A Franken rifle is one made from parts taken from it's different variants. Take my Para Fal, for example. Upper receiver is DSA, lower is Steyr Para, barrel is from a South African R1 or a Rhodie, bolt is from an Argentine or Imbel, folding charging handle modified from an L1A1, muzzle device is a BABC- the list goes on, but you get the picture. It's a true Franken Fal

Each of the part- well, most of the parts- were made to be part of a particular variant of Fal and are the correct part for that variant.

Most parts we build our ARs from are not variant specific. They wouldn't be "correct" for any variant. My AR has a Lothar-Walther barrel, PRI Delta handguard, UBR stock and a Geisselle trigger. I don't think any of these parts are used on any "correct" variant of the AR. A true FrankenAR would be made up from parts from various variants. It might have an A4 upper, a barrel from an original CAR, an A1 buttstock, A2 grip and so on.

There's nothing wrong with a Franken rifle as long as it works. My Franken Fal runs great and shoots smooth despite her mixed heritage and I collected the parts and assembled her myself.

If you Lego an AR together, you could always call it a "hand select, purpose built AR" if it makes you feel better. But unless it's made up from a pile of parts from various variants, it don't qualify for Franken status:no:

ghostman1960
03-30-11, 06:28
A Franken rifle is one made from parts taken from it's different variants. Take my Para Fal, for example. Upper receiver is DSA, lower is Steyr Para, barrel is from a South African R1 or a Rhodie, bolt is from an Argentine or Imbel, folding charging handle modified from an L1A1, muzzle device is a BABC- the list goes on, but you get the picture. It's a true Franken Fal

Each of the part- well, most of the parts- were made to be part of a particular variant of Fal and are the correct part for that variant.

Most parts we build our ARs from are not variant specific. They wouldn't be "correct" for any variant. My AR has a Lothar-Walther barrel, PRI Delta handguard, UBR stock and a Geisselle trigger. I don't think any of these parts are used on any "correct" variant of the AR. A true FrankenAR would be made up from parts from various variants. It might have an A4 upper, a barrel from an original CAR, an A1 buttstock, A2 grip and so on.

There's nothing wrong with a Franken rifle as long as it works. My Franken Fal runs great and shoots smooth despite her mixed heritage and I collected the parts and assembled her myself.

If you Lego an AR together, you could always call it a "hand select, purpose built AR" if it makes you feel better. But unless it's made up from a pile of parts from various variants, it don't qualify for Franken status:no:

Well that certainly put things into perspective.:)

Happypupy
03-30-11, 07:06
you could always call it a "hand select, purpose built AR" if it makes you feel better.

I like that. LOL

With the last Mutt I put togeather with spare stuff I had laying around, I always get "Oh man, I love Spikes Tactical".......

I actually took the time once to explain, that it's a complete BCM upper assembly with a FZ BCG and DD rail, on a Spikes lower with a DD LPK and the only reason I used it was because I got the stripped lower cheap and it was just sitting around. After the "Yeah, Spikes makes great stuff" I got in return, my brain shut off, I nodded and said "thanks" and went back to punching holes in paper. Nodding and "thanks" has been my response since any time I'm asked about it by someone that notices the spider first.

I personaly like "Mutts" better than off the shelf rifles. You can normally put something togeather at a reasonable price, that will run well and be a joy to shoot. IF you use quality parts.

nhgunnut
03-30-11, 07:36
I am a lover of Frankenbuilds whether in guns (all 4 of my current ARs are in the category ) Cars (I have wedged Supercharged Mazda Rotarys into VW based Kit Cars) and Motorcycles (one of my Suzukis is currently running a Mitsubishi Turbocharger)
Perhaps haps the thing I like most about the Black Rifle platform is how much it lends itself to personalization.

The Cat
03-30-11, 07:36
You could just call it a Mutt, and in general mutts have less problems than purebreds. :p

Mixed breeds live longer!

I'd call it whatever the upper is. If anyone cares to know more, tell them the make of the lower.

Cool! That means I've got a BCM :)

When I hear the term 'Frankengun' I think of a shopworn gray ex-military A1 upper sitting loosely on a black-painted aftermarket (and usually cast) lower. FCG and carrier were de-M16-ized, most likely by bench grinder. You know - a Gunshow Special, circa 1988.

A high-quality upper sitting on any decent lower with a good LPK isn't a true Frankengun, IMO.

MistWolf
03-30-11, 07:54
When I hear the term 'Frankengun' I think of a shopworn gray ex-military A1 upper sitting loosely on a black-painted aftermarket (and usually cast) lower. FCG and carrier were de-M16-ized, most likely by bench grinder...

That's not a Franken rifle- that's flat out "Bubbafied"

The Cat
03-30-11, 08:24

Almost.... 100% pure Bubbafication would include dremelled M4 feed ramps! :p

Morg308
03-30-11, 10:44

No need to modify the carrier, and the smoothest LPK I ever had used a 'demilled' M16 disconnector. I prefer to buy lightly used, quality parts (preferably Colt for things like uppers, barrels and BCGs)and assemble them on NDS stripped lowers. I cannot say enough about the quality of any Nodak Spud product. You guys can laugh all you want, but their tolerances are some of the best in the business, and their customer service is fantastic. Try one you'll be hooked. I'm no expert, but every AR I've put together so far has run beautifully. I'd rather have a well-built frankengun in most cases than a factory DPMS, Armalite or Bushy. Just my .02, and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Caeser25
03-30-11, 14:36
Most rifles on here are franken builds. Worth nothing to sell. Worth it to us for the piece of mind that they have, to an extent, the best parts money can buy or atleast not substandard parts.

walter34payton2002
03-30-11, 14:57
Yeah in most cases I just don't even think Frankengun is remotely accurate. For example, if you have a Bushmaster AR but have a Fail Zero BCG, you don't say you have a Bushy and Fail Zero. Its a Bushmaster. Complete uppers are the most critical. Lowers are generally made by 4 main manufacturers. If you have a BCM complete upper on a Bushy lower, LAR has made Bushy lowers before so you may have a LAR lower. Same with DPMS. So you could have many different roll marks and have the SAME LOWER. What if you have a DPMS and Bushy that made had their original lowers made both by LAR? Now you swap the lowers and they are Frankenguns even though the lower was made by the same company? No so much I think. What if you have a complete DPMS and they have a LAR lower but the change companies that make the lower to say MMS? Same roll mark, but the lower is different. Lowers aren't made to tailor to certain uppers. They are made to spec with the proper materials and process not in-house or they are not. Same for the parts kit. Few make their own. With our kind of Frankenguns that most of us on this forum build, we use complete BCM uppers and quality lowers with quality LPK's. In some cases I bet the different lower you have was made by the same company that made the BCM lower. Like others have said, the true frankenguns are the ones that were assembled with random parts of differing quality and possibly dubious methods.

MistWolf
03-30-11, 15:38
...Like others have said, the true frankenguns are the ones that were assembled with random parts of differing quality and possibly dubious methods.

Don't try to tell my FrankenFal that!

Any firearm made from parts sourced from a variety of manufacturers is a mix master, whether building a specific, correct variant or if the parts are "hand selected" for something "purpose built".

A mix master that mainly uses correct parts from a variety variants also has Franken status. A true Franken AR would be made up from parts selected from the various AR/M16 variants, such as the M16A1, M16A2, M4 and the like. A Franken built mix master can also be custom or purpose built.

A mix master that uses selected parts suited to the needs or wants of the builder would be a custom or purpose built rifle.

A firearm made from parts sourced from various manufacturers to assemble a specific variant is a mix master that's correct.

A correct firearm assembled from all matching parts is a matching correct. Correct and matching correct ARs are usually made by the Retro Guys. They are most likely to assemble true Franken ARs with any parts they have left over.

Any firearm, whether it's a type of mix master or assembled from all matching parts to build a correct variant, that's built haphazardly is nothing more than a Bubbagun:jester:

walter34payton2002
03-30-11, 15:47
I agree. Nicely stated.

The_War_Wagon
03-30-11, 15:56

Hey - aren't you building me a Franken-SPR? :p

The Cat
03-30-11, 15:59
A true Franken AR would be made up from parts selected from the various AR/M16 variants, such as the M16A1, M16A2, M4 and the like.

Oh hell! That means my AR is a true Frankengun! I have an A1 forward assist on it, A2 lower and FH, and M4 upper and barrel :D

Any firearm, whether it's a type of mix master or assembled from all matching parts to build a correct variant, that's built haphazardly is nothing more than a Bubbagun:jester:

Haphazard = Bubba? I like it :)

Quentin
03-30-11, 16:03
So from best to worst we've got custom build, Frankengun and Bubbagun... You choose where your AR build fits! :p

MistWolf
03-30-11, 16:11
A rifle with true Franken status can be of the highest quality, just as a custom can be border line bubba. And a purpose built rifle can be a solution in search of a problem

The Cat
03-30-11, 16:17
So from best to worst we've got custom build, Frankengun and Bubbagun... You choose where your AR build fits! :p

I'm thinking Mall Ninja belongs in that list somewheres.

It may not have the dremelled feedramps, backwards castle nut, angle-grinded RE, or be a handguard-ejecting, single-shot middie conversion - but it will have ten pounds of airsoft knockoff crap bolted to it and a sling that makes the gun look like a late-night infomercial golf swing trainer when it's worn.

markm
03-30-11, 16:18
If anyone mouths off about your build...

Just POP open the receivers and show them your SPIKES TARD 2 Buffer. They'll know you're serious and back away with their tail between thier legs. :cool:

Quentin
03-30-11, 16:32

It may not have the dremelled feedramps, backwards castle nut, angle-grinded RE, or be a handguard-ejecting, single-shot middie conversion - but it will have ten pounds of airsoft knockoff crap bolted to it and a sling that makes the gun look like a late-night infomercial golf swing trainer when it's worn.

I think you're on to something there Mr. Cat! :D Maybe Mall Ninja falls to the far right of this new "chart". :p

MistWolf
03-30-11, 16:42

Ad found Mall Ninja Personal section: "PBS in search of PDE" Contact Glock45. Serious Inquiries only!

Translation- Purpose Built Solution in Search of Problems that Don't Exist

There is nothing wrong with using a Dremel to cut M4 ramps so long as it's done correctly.

The single shot middy conversion, on the other hand, is uniquely visionary, pushing the envelope of AR development in way never before thought possible

Morg308
03-30-11, 18:01
If anyone mouths off about your build...

Just POP open the receivers and show them your SPIKES TARD 2 Buffer. They'll know you're serious and back away with their tail between thier legs. :cool:

:haha:

The Cat
03-30-11, 18:20
There is nothing wrong with using a Dremel to cut M4 ramps so long as it's done correctly.

I went to a shoot a couple years ago. There was a frankengun AR like the one I described earlier. It looked like it had been left in a barn. It malfunctioned repeatedly. Guy who owned the place (and claimed to be an ARMORER) told the gun's owner that it needed M4 feed ramps, and took the rifle to his basement to dremel some into it. On the way, I heard him tell the gun's owner that maybe its firing pin spring was bad......

This same 'armorer' owned an M1A. He complained that all his ammo was on stripper clips, and that he didn't have an adaptor to load his mag with them. I said, "Sure, you do." He said, "No, I don't." I said, "Oh, but you do." He said, "Where?"
I took his rifle, locked the bolt back, slid a full stripper into the guide on top of the receiver, and pushed the rounds into the mag. The look on his face was priceless.

I 'bout guarantee that dude's feed ramps were *not* done correctly.

The single shot middy conversion, on the other hand, is uniquely visionary, pushing the envelope of AR development in way never before thought possible

Be careful, Mister Wolf. Terminology like that is approaching the awesomeness level of the Sidewinder Charging Handle :D

JDW67
03-30-11, 18:40
"parts are parts..."

Iraqgunz
03-30-11, 18:43
Are you saying that in a serious way or just for S&G? If you are serious then all I can say is you really need to do some reading.

"parts are parts..."

JDW67
03-30-11, 18:53
Are you saying that in a serious way or just for S&G? If you are serious then all I can say is you really need to do some reading.

Just for S&G...that's a direct quote from one of my local gunshops...

Quentin
03-30-11, 20:40
"parts are parts..."

Isn't that what Igor told Dr. Frankenstein when he brought the Abby Normal brain! :p

The Cat
03-30-11, 20:52
Isn't that what Igor told Dr. Frankenstein when he brought the Abby Normal brain! :p

:sarcastic:

VLODPG
03-30-11, 20:58
"parts are parts..."

Just like "chicken is chicken"

MistWolf
03-31-11, 06:09
"parts are parts..."

"Igor, whose bolt carrier group did you bring me?!?"
"Er... it was Abby something..."
"Abby who?"
"Abby Normal, I think"
"Oh. Well, as long as it wasn't Oly"

Surf
03-31-11, 12:05
I do not like the term Frankengun and I don't personally use it, unless if it is in context like this threads question.

Even though the barrel is the heart of the weapon, I always refer to a rifle as the manufacturer of the lower receiver as that is the serialized part that constitutes the firearm. So I might say it is a custom assembled rifle with XX lower and XX barrel etc...If they are informed enough on weapons or this platform they might ask more about various parts and I will gladly answer what other parts are used. However most people are not that clued in so I leave it at the brand of lower and brand of barrel or you start to get a puzzled look on their face if you run down an entire parts list.

Eurodriver
03-31-11, 12:38
I do not like the term Frankengun and I don't personally use it, unless if it is in context like this threads question.

Even though the barrel is the heart of the weapon, I always refer to a rifle as the manufacturer of the lower receiver as that is the serialized part that constitutes the firearm. So I might say it is a custom assembled rifle with XX lower and XX barrel etc...If they are informed enough on weapons or this platform they might ask more about various parts and I will gladly answer what other parts are used. However most people are not that clued in so I leave it at the brand of lower and brand of barrel or you start to get a puzzled look on their face if you run down an entire parts list.

Most people I know that aren't into the AR platform extensively have absolutely no idea what "BCM", "Noveske", or "Daniel Defense" is. So even then its hard to explain why my Bushmaster lower doesn't have a Bushmaster upper.

tbaytusmc
03-31-11, 22:19
I've got a Frankengun waitin back home, but I could care less.

Stag lower with magpul MOE furniture and BAD lever, Troy QD sling attachment on the castle nut, BCM's H buffer...
Stag upper and barrel with BCM BCG, Troy TRX-E, magpul VFG, YHM 5M1 compensator, BCM gunfighter, Troy BUIS...

Basically Stag, BCM, Troy, Magpul, YHM...

If someone asks me what kind of rifle it is, I'll have no problem tellin' em... as long as they'll care to stick around to listen.

If it runs, it runs, if you like it, you like it...

If you have to have a purely "X" branded gun, then go for it, but that doesn't make mine any less of a rifle.

This is my rifle... There's only one like it, and this one is mine.

walter34payton2002
04-01-11, 09:47
I've got a Frankengun waitin back home, but I could care less.

Stag lower with magpul MOE furniture and BAD lever, Troy QD sling attachment on the castle nut, BCM's H buffer...
Stag upper and barrel with BCM BCG, Troy TRX-E, magpul VFG, YHM 5M1 compensator, BCM gunfighter, Troy BUIS...

Basically Stag, BCM, Troy, Magpul, YHM...

If someone asks me what kind of rifle it is, I'll have no problem tellin' em... as long as they'll care to stick around to listen.

If it runs, it runs, if you like it, you like it...

If you have to have a purely "X" branded gun, then go for it, but that doesn't make mine any less of a rifle.

This is my rifle... There's only one like it, and this one is mine.

To me that's a Stag an upgraded BCG and buffer.

tbaytusmc
04-01-11, 20:12
To me that's a Stag an upgraded BCG and buffer.

Toe-may-toe, toh-mah-toh. Sure it's got stock trigger, upper and lower receivers, and barrel, but that's about it... I still consider it my franken gun, and it's only going to get more 'franken' as time goes on, with a new trigger, and probably eventually new recievers, and barrel...

I'm doing it this way to build my own gun piece by piece, but still have a fully functioning AR all the steps of the way through building it... all the replaced pieces are being saved, and will probably end up going back together for my girl.

walter34payton2002
04-02-11, 18:52
all the replaced pieces are being saved, and will probably end up going back together for my girl.

Haha.... I did that to my wife. I had a DPMS that got completely replaced piece by piece until the wife now has a full DPMS with other minor upgrades here and there (from my leftover bin)... Nothing but the best for our ladies on M4, huh?

tbaytusmc
04-03-11, 01:41
Haha.... I did that to my wife. I had a DPMS that got completely replaced piece by piece until the wife now has a full DPMS with other minor upgrades here and there (from my leftover bin)... Nothing but the best for our ladies on M4, huh?

BAHAHA! This made me laugh so hard... But hey... Who knows?... If she shows enough interest, and maybe starts competing with me, I may even buy her a real AR some day. =P After i get mine the way I want it, ya know. :lol:

The Cat
04-03-11, 02:54
I have a complete Bushmaster upper in great shape. I offered to get Mrs Cat a lower for it and it'd be hers, and she said "Uh-uh. BCM or Colt, baby." :cool:

Quentin
04-03-11, 09:40
Sounds like Mrs Cat has learned a thing or two! No FrankenSnakes for her!:p

ETA:
And come to think of it, that's the heart of the matter here. Nothing wrong with a quality FrankenAR - it's the FrankenSnake, FrankenDPMS, FrankenBlackenThorne that is the monster.

Beat Trash
04-03-11, 11:54
I just dont know what to call it when someone asks me what it is. So I just call it my 14.5" middy.

Tell them "It's mine", or "It's a ghostman".

Assembled from quality parts, put together correctly, and works for you. What else is there to know?

Hmac
04-03-11, 12:30
For those that know about such things (the majority of the people I shoot with), I just say it's a rifle I built, and explain the build if they're interested. For those that don't know (such as at the local club range), I just tell them it's an "X" brand, where X=whatever the rollmark is. Far easier than listing off a bunch of parts from companies they've never heard of. Typically, they've heard of Bushmaster and DPMS. Most other brands just get blank looks and lead to discussions about "Noveske? Never heard of 'em. Should have got a well-known brand like DPMS."

Eurodriver
04-03-11, 12:52
Most other brands just get blank looks and lead to discussions about "Noveske? Never heard of 'em. Should have got a well-known brand like DPMS."

Aint that the truth.

My favorite is "Why is your front sight thingy so far down the barrel?"

Labayu
04-04-11, 03:57
I have heard the term a lot on different boards but never gave it much thought as my rifles were always Colts, Bushmasters (when they were still cool) and a S&W MP15.

Now that I have assembled one for the first time I guess it falls into the category of "Franken Build" It has a BCM 14.5" middy upper with Troy rails, TD stubby QD VFG, a Spikes BCG, a RRA lower with a DD LPK.

Of course it was dipped in Magpul with a CTR stock, full MIAD grip, MBUS, XTM panels and a BAD lever.

I love the way the weapon shoots and have no complaints about it. I just dont know what to call it when someone asks me what it is. So I just call it my 14.5" middy.

I'm in the same boat

RRA Lower, CMMG Upper, Daniel Defense CHF Barrel, BCM Bolt and Carrier,KAC RAS and BUIS, Wilson trigger group, VLTOR A5 Buttstock/Buffer Tube.

I generically call it a "Rock River" because it's the only "Rock River" lower I own.If someone is gun savvy enough to even know the difference then I might explain the whole shebang if it's convenient.

rob_s
04-04-11, 05:08
I hate the word "build" in this application. It's right up there with "flawless" for setting my teeth on edge.

"franken" seems to mean a collection of parts from disparate sources, and used in a derogatory sense in most cases. If the owner is looked down upon or used sub-par parts it's considered "franken", but if they're a known entity or celebrity and/or the gun runs it's a "sensible collection of parts by someone who knows what they want and why".

MistWolf
04-04-11, 12:42
Maybe I'll simply call my hand select custom precision AR "Ozzy Fudd, Wabbit Slayer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqC_YdG7GtM&feature=related

heartbreakridge01
04-04-11, 13:05
I just call mine "my AR". If they ask where I got it I tell them I assembled it not so much built it, but put it togther from a stripped lower and complete upper. If I would have started with a pile of parts and did everything from installing the barrel etc I would say I built it. Being that I just put togther a Lower and pinned a complete upper on it I dont consider that building it.

The range master asked me what brand it was at the range one day. He seemed like he new more about AR's than the average guy out there when I told him what it was. Most people I talk guns with at work wouldnt know the differnce between a Colt and a DPMS other than the name.

Ive noticed that to most people an AR is an AR, an AK is an AK and all semi autos pistols are Glocks!

The Cat
04-04-11, 13:28
I just call mine "my AR". If they ask where I got it I tell them I assembled it not so much built it, but put it togther from a stripped lower and complete upper. If I would have started with a pile of parts and did everything from installing the barrel etc I would say I built it. Being that I just put togther a Lower and pinned a complete upper on it I dont consider that building it.

The range master asked me what brand it was at the range one day. He seemed like he new more about AR's than the average guy out there when I told him what it was. Most people I talk guns with at work wouldnt know the differnce between a Colt and a DPMS other than the name.

Ive noticed that to most people an AR is an AR, an AK is an AK and all semi autos pistols are Glocks!

^^ this. All of it :)

Terlingueno
04-04-11, 21:22
Frankenbuild...I just finished assembling a carbine today. Colt HBAR 16" carbine barrel with M4 ramps, Colt A2 upper with factory M4 cuts, Colt BCG, Colt everything except the lower, which is a Double Star. Test fired and sighted it in this afternoon. Runs just as nicely as my Colt factory A2 rifle. It's a keeper.

http://i52.tinypic.com/5lyql1.jpg

luckyguy1
04-04-11, 21:29
all franken builds, all run 100%
http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv202/Winterborn1/IMG_0457.jpg
http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv202/Winterborn1/IMG_0462.jpg
http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv202/Winterborn1/IMG_0451.jpg

with the quality of today's top suppliers, you almost can't "F" it up.

DYI01
04-05-11, 10:14
As long as the parts are in spec and you have the right tools and knowledge to assemble the rifle, there shouldn't be an issue with a built or franken-AR.

usmcvet
05-21-11, 19:26
Anyone who knows about guns will know what you've got. Anyone who cares to ask you could explain it to them. To me the gun. Is the lower. A Colt with an LMT upper or an LMT within a BCM upper aka the BLT :D

grendelbane
05-22-11, 20:40
I tend to think of my ARs, and 1911 clones as "open source".

It is only going to get worse, by the way.

Quentin
05-23-11, 00:17
My last AR build has a Smith&Wesson stripped lower so legally I guess it's a S&W.

But then it also has a Daniel Defense upper, BCM receiver extension/H buffer, Gunfighter CH, Stag LPK, Noveske end plate, Vltor QD sling mounts and lots of Magpul.

I call it a Dan Wesson. :D

thespaceghost
05-24-11, 14:16
Years ago I set out to prove to my pal how cheaply I could build up a gun much cheaper than a gunshow priced rifle we saw.

It started out so innocently. I knew what I wanted.

I ended up calling it Frankenstein as it lived in the dark basement and I just fed it money....like any good movie monster it got out of control.:jester:

Oh the horror.

polymorpheous
05-24-11, 14:45
Franken, custom, mutt... whatever.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5230/5600629890_e3ce224b23_b.jpg
I just call it my DD.

Upper:
14.5" CHF M4 profile barrel w/ extended A2
BCM upper, BCG, and Mod4 GF CH

Lower:
Aero Precision stripped lower.
LPK is truly a mutt. FCG from M&A, springs and pins DPMS, selector & bolt release is DD.
BCM buffer tube kit w/ H buffer.

Around 5,000 rounds.
So far it has served me well.

vecdran
05-24-11, 15:45
I tell people I bought a random conglomeration of quality parts, threw them into a box, closed it, rubbed the box three times, and out popped my AR.

polymorpheous
05-24-11, 15:50
I tell people I bought a random conglomeration of quality parts, threw them into a box, closed it, rubbed the box three times, and out popped my AR.

:lol:
Nice!

fireblast713
05-25-11, 21:10
I have a DD defense upper with a spikes lower and an unknown LPK, mines dipped in magpul too, I'll just call it my AR or my DD AR since I think the upper matters more than the lower. In an unrelated question are all LPK created equal? Mine came with my complete lower and i've never really been able to figure out where it came from. Should I eventually replace it w/ a known brand?

usmcvet
05-25-11, 22:00
If it works I would leave it alone.

Dunderway
05-25-11, 22:16
I put my ARs together at a bad time. They are all BCM/LMT uppers and stocks with G&R LPKs so I am very confident in them, but I just don't have the love for them that I would if they had a matching lower. I'm not worried about resale, but when you can now easily get a BCM or LMT complete lower for the price of assembling a quality lower, I would rather have a matching gun. Colt prices are also getting to the point where I would have a bit of heartburn even building another basic M4.

LMTRocks
05-26-11, 00:36
When I build an upper for myself I usually find a way to get a dedicated lower to it. And with PSA selling LPKs for $43 and M4 milspec stock kits for $50 why not? It's entirely possible to build a complete lower right now for $180....including transfer fees thru your FFL and shipping. Every AR I have now has been rebarreled or built from the ground up with parts that I chose to make them happen. Each has it's own unique purpose, whether it be cheap shooting, CQB, or long range. The aspects of each are similar to the others in that they all use freefloat forearms, even down to a 10.5" barrel, and all have VFGs albeit from different manufacturers. But they have a purpose, and each will do it well.