PDA

View Full Version : Changing carbine tele stock to full sized stock

leroyswift
03-29-11, 23:09
I have looked thru past threads and cant gather a whole lot on this. Can it be done and what parts will be needed? please excuse my novice approach. I have a 14.5 carbine with the tele stock and want to make the switch. Thanks

evolixsurf
03-30-11, 00:13
you should get the following:

a2 stock(with screw)
a2 length buffer tube
rifle spring
rifle buffer
a2 spacer

That should be it. Its a longer assembly with a different weight. Research the conversion, there should be plenty of info on it.

clay7160
03-30-11, 00:56
a couple examples of styles and what you need to swap your gun over, lots of places sell identical kits, both come with everything needed, its mainly up to your style, there are also more expensive routes, such as magpul prs or ace skeleton stock

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=19_28&products_id=251

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=19_28&products_id=373

leroyswift
03-30-11, 02:56
Thank you so much. I found one for around $55 shipped and I jumped on it. Guess my next purchase will be a wrench to take off that castle nut.

An Undocumented Worker
03-30-11, 17:19
Are you doing this change in order to run the rifle buffer system, or do you just like the A2 stock.

The reason I ask is that the Vltor A5 reciever extension/buffer, gives you the benifits of the rifle length buffer system yet allows for a telescopic stock. It also allows a longer length of pull than a carbine stock.

leroyswift
03-30-11, 23:13
It is purely for the length and look, i plan in changing the tele stock on a Plum crazy lower. Still looking for a good upper

markm
03-31-11, 09:22
It is purely for the length and look, i plan in changing the tele stock on a Plum crazy lower. Still looking for a good upper

You should be looking for a good lower. :eek:

Mr. Goodtimes
03-31-11, 09:40

I think I'd look for a new lower to go with that new stock.

leroyswift
04-01-11, 01:04
That bad?

Belmont31R
04-01-11, 01:13
That bad?

Yes. I've seen numerous documented failure with them. They are a novelty (waste of money).

Get yourself a decent forged lower....they are not hard to come by.

usmcvet
04-01-11, 09:41
Thank you so much. I found one for around $55 shipped and I jumped on it. Guess my next purchase will be a wrench to take off that castle nut.

Man that sounds really cheap. Did you buy just the stock or all of the parts that go along with it? $100 bucks is more of the neighborhood.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-AR15-M16-A2-Rifle-Stock-Kit-p/stock%20a2%20kit%20-%20black.htm

You might find one on the Equipment Exchange here on m4c. PM me if you need one. I have the complete stock and all of the parts from a Colt.

SteadyUp
04-01-11, 10:41
Brownells sells a completion kit for full-sized stocks: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27315/avs%7CMake_3=AR-15zz1zzM4/Product/AR_15_M16_STOCK_COMPLETION_KITS

I used it when I built my SPR. It's a decent kit.

Morg308
04-01-11, 12:02
FWIW, I prefer the A1 length - it's 5/8" shorter. It just fits me better. The buffer tubes are the same, the A2 just uses an internal plastic spacer and a longer screw. A1 stock are available used, sometimes near new, or new from Cavarms in colors. Any A1/A2 standard buffer tube will work, but you MUST use a shorter screw with the A1 or cut the A2 screw down.

philipeggo
04-01-11, 16:43
I have only ever seen one minor failure. Seem to be made of the same material as the Cav arms lowers. Ive heard nothing but good things about either. Granted mostly on range queens. Not trying to come off poorly , i really want to know.

Yes. I've seen numerous documented failure with them. They are a novelty (waste of money).

Belmont31R
04-01-11, 16:48
I have only ever seen one minor failure. Seem to be made of the same material as the Cav arms lowers. Ive heard nothing but good things about either. Granted mostly on range queens. Not trying to come off poorly , i really want to know.

I just saw one where the entire front of the magwell was split in 2.

Morg308
04-01-11, 17:00

+1 I do not trust plastic lowers - remember the issues they had with the AR180B lowers breaking? When you can find a quality lower for $100 why mess with plastic? I'm not a Tupperware gun fan. ;)

AMMOTECH
04-02-11, 07:48
I'd just go with a factory built complete lower. Put your upper on there and your good to go.

An example of what can be had:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=222116119

leroyswift
04-02-11, 11:50
Man that sounds really cheap. Did you buy just the stock or all of the parts that go along with it? $100 bucks is more of the neighborhood.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-AR15-M16-A2-Rifle-Stock-Kit-p/stock%20a2%20kit%20-%20black.htm

You might find one on the Equipment Exchange here on m4c. PM me if you need one. I have the complete stock and all of the parts from a Colt.

It is the kit( tube, sping,buffer and a spacer along with a stock. I bought a stock in town at a pawn shop for $25 but still need the other items.

Iraqgunz
04-02-11, 15:30
Out of curiousity who makes said parts?

It is the kit( tube, sping,buffer and a spacer along with a stock. I bought a stock in town at a pawn shop for $25 but still need the other items.

leroyswift
04-03-11, 13:01
Leapers is the name on it. The one I bought locally has no brand.

warpigM-4
04-03-11, 13:54
Leapers is the name on it. The one I bought locally has no brand.

Leapers Is UTG They Are Airsoft Makers that Jumped in the AR Market .I would find a replacement ,But that is just me it might work for you But I would Not Buy anything with Leapers Name on it .

And As said get a new lower

leroyswift
04-03-11, 13:57
Well there goes that one. RRA stock sets are sold at my local shop for $65 plus tax same kit a2 or CAR.

Iraqgunz
04-04-11, 00:59
I cannot emphasize this enough. Do not cut corners. If you can't afford a decent basic set up, then wait. Unless you are in dire need of an AR right now slow down and take your time. Also check the E&E section here.

You can buy a new tube, castle nut and endplate from BCM for around 42.00. One of our members is also selling an LMT M4 stock as well.

Well there goes that one. RRA stock sets are sold at my local shop for $65 plus tax same kit a2 or CAR.

leroyswift
04-04-11, 13:34
Iraq I couldn't agree more, I learned that lesson as a young man fooling with old cars. I am in no hurry, and I like the Rock River stock set. I love BCM and understand at times paying more for quality is really saving in the long run but other times its just a fun gun and doesn't necessitate. I do appreciate everyone though, being nice and helpful It might as well be 2 a.m. cuz a lot of this stuff i am in the dark on.