PDA

View Full Version : Does This Look Like a Reasonable Alternative?

hals1
03-29-11, 23:38
Spikes 16" middie upper. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5035MOE&name=Spikes+Tactical+16%22+Mid-Length+5.56%2f.223+Upper+Receiver&groupid=150
They claim MPI on the barrel but don't say anything about proof testing anything.
Out of stock now, but who knows?

bsmith_shoot
03-29-11, 23:44
Let the shit-storm begin!!!!
I got no problems with Spikes, I run their lower, but I have had 1 issue with a upper component, so I dont use the uppers. If you shoot less than 2000 rounds a year, at a slow to marginal pace, any uper will do. I shoot around 7000 a year or more, and have shot 1200 rounds in a day quite a few times. Its a toss-up. Some swear by them, some loathe them. I say get it, use the crap out of, and let us know how it runs.
Thats the best I can do.

Leonidas24
03-29-11, 23:44
A reasonable alternative to what? BCM?

Mr. Goodtimes
03-29-11, 23:47
A reasonable alternative to what? An Olympic arms? Doublestar? If so then yes.

A reasonable alternative to a Colt, LMT, BCM, KAC, Noveske etc... No.

EDIT: A BCM 16in Midlength with MOE handguards, BCG, and Gun Fighter Charging Handle costs less than $100.00 more than a Spikes and you're getting known quality from a known great company.

Iraqgunz
03-29-11, 23:47
Why would be my question? Bravo Company has this.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm

Add this to it- http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-MOE-MID-Length-Handguard-BLACK-p/mag418%20blk.htm

And then get an H buffer and you are good. You will get KNOWN BCM quality and you will only spend a little more than what the Spike's cost.

Spikes 16" middie upper. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5035MOE&name=Spikes+Tactical+16%22+Mid-Length+5.56%2f.223+Upper+Receiver&groupid=150
They claim MPI on the barrel but don't say anything about proof testing anything.

graffex
03-29-11, 23:50
A reasonable alternative? WTF does that even mean.

You either get a rifle that is built properly or you don't. What I do know is they aren't cutting the cake when it comes to building a rifle in spec. Why not spend a little more and buy a rifle of known quality. Do you want a toy to scare the in-laws or do you want something you can be sure you can depend on.

ZRH
03-30-11, 00:03
It's out of stock so it's kinda academic isn't it?

zachsm
03-30-11, 00:13

http://www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=2&f=282&t=194245

It is HPT. Here is all the certs.

A reasonable alternative to what? An Olympic arms? Doublestar? If so then yes.

A reasonable alternative to a Colt, LMT, BCM, KAC, Noveske etc... No.

EDIT: A BCM 16in Midlength with MOE handguards, BCG, and Gun Fighter Charging Handle costs less than $100.00 more than a Spikes and you're getting known quality from a known great company.

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2009/10/19/spikes-tactical-16-chf-upper/

I honestly couldn't disagree more with this statement. Choose what is cheapest and in-stock.

graffex
03-30-11, 00:16
http://www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=2&f=282&t=194245

It is HPT. Here is all the certs.

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2009/10/19/spikes-tactical-16-chf-upper/

I honestly couldn't disagree more with this statement. Choose what is cheapest and in-stock.

How about choosing what is known for sure to be made properly and doesn't sell stupid airsoft crap :rolleyes:

Nightvisionary
03-30-11, 00:38
I can't say enough great things about my Spikes mid length LE rifle. 3500 rounds since November with minimal cleaning and it just runs. I have yet to experience a malfunction regardless of what ammo I have used.The barrel is individually HP tested. I learned then when I was researching for a new AR purchase last fall. Spikes put all of their test data and certifications on AR15.com last year. They now have it available on their website. If "The List" was still out and up to date they would meet the criteria right along with BCM, Colt, and the other quality manufacturers.

I am just a shooter. I have nothing to sell you. So take my opinion for what it's worth.

ra2bach
03-30-11, 00:55
I am just a shooter... So take my opinion for what it's worth.

noted.

Iraqgunz
03-30-11, 00:56
I could make a few statements about their certifications, but I won't. Please do not let this turn into a Spike's vs. the World thread.

To the OP. This set up is a far cry from your other post so I suggest you think about what you want a little longer.

zachsm
03-30-11, 00:58
How about choosing what is known for sure to be made properly and doesn't sell stupid airsoft crap :rolleyes:

What does this mean? These are their certificates, how can you refute those? What do they sell that is "airsoft crap"?

Iraqgunz
03-30-11, 01:04
KNOCK IT OFF! LAST TIME.

walter34payton2002
03-30-11, 01:11
The specs say that those are for the LE models. So I am assuming that unless they specifically say LE like as in Colt LE6920, you may be getting a commercial gun with different specs. I don't know.

Nightvisionary
03-30-11, 01:55
noted.

If you insist on quoting me please don't edit the quotes you attribute to me.

MistoGators
03-30-11, 06:27
I could make a few statements about their certifications, but I won't. Please do not let this turn into a Spike's vs. the World thread.
To the OP. This set up is a far cry from your other post so I suggest you think about what you want a little longer.
Please do.

hals1
03-30-11, 08:35
Never mind.

ra2bach
03-30-11, 11:37
If you insist on quoting me please don't edit the quotes you attribute to me.

noted.

Leonidas24
03-30-11, 11:55
All bickering aside, you could spend $500 on the Spikes upper or you can spend $585 on the BCM.

Spike's pros:
- it's $85 cheaper
- All components are included
- You get a buffer also

Spike's cons:
- Questionable testing on barrels and bolts (HPT or not)

BCM pros:
- Build it the way you want it
- Tried and true manufacturer
- HPT and MPI
- No need to replace unwanted parts, buy what you want and be done.

BCM cons:
- (In this situation) more expensive.

At least with a BCM you can build the gun you want without having the replace parts you don't want (charging handle, hand guards, etc). Personally I'd get the BCM with all the fixings and add a GF Mod 3 to it. That will make the final price about $600 but in this game you get what you pay for.

In all honesty if you want the Spike's upper then buy it. Put it on a lower and shoot the hell out of it and report back with the results.

v-j
03-30-11, 12:17
All bickering aside, you could spend $500 on the Spikes upper or you can spend $585 on the BCM.

Spike's pros:
- it's $85 cheaper
- All components are included
- You get a buffer also

Spike's cons:
- Questionable testing on barrels and bolts (HPT or not)

BCM pros:
- Build it the way you want it
- Tried and true manufacturer
- HPT and MPI
- No need to replace unwanted parts, buy what you want and be done.

BCM cons:
- (In this situation) more expensive.

At least with a BCM you can build the gun you want without having the replace parts you don't want (charging handle, hand guards, etc). Personally I'd get the BCM with all the fixings and add a GF Mod 3 to it. That will make the final price about $600 but in this game you get what you pay for.

In all honesty if you want the Spike's upper then buy it. Put it on a lower and shoot the hell out of it and report back with the results.

Where can you get the BCM for that price? With the BCG, charging handle, handguards and buffer in a 16" middy. That is a good price, I would like to pick one up. Not trying to be a SA, serious that is a good price for $585.00

Leonidas24
03-30-11, 12:38
Where can you get the BCM for that price? With the BCG, charging handle, handguards and buffer in a 16" middy. That is a good price, I would like to pick one up. Not trying to be a SA, serious that is a good price for $585.00

My mistake, $595 with a BCM BCG, I was looking at a CMT bolt. Here's the breakdown:

BCM Standard 16" middy: $399
BCM Charging handle: $22.95
BCM BCG: $140
Magpul MOE Mid: $33.20

Total: $595.15

If you did a little shopping around it could be found cheaper. I know with the LE/mil discount Rainier has their Thunderbolt BCG is less than $120. A WOA charging handle for $20, and I've seen the Magpul MOE handguards for less than $30 on several websites.

v-j
03-30-11, 12:47
My mistake, $595 with a BCM BCG, I was looking at a CMT bolt. Here's the breakdown:

BCM Standard 16" middy: $399
BCM Charging handle: $22.95
BCM BCG: $140
Magpul MOE Mid: $33.20

Total: $595.15

If you did a little shopping around it could be found cheaper. I know with the LE/mil discount Rainier has their Thunderbolt BCG is less than $120. A WOA charging handle for $20, and I've seen the Magpul MOE handguards for less than $30 on several websites.

Good price, like you said maybe spend a few extra dollars and go with the GF charging handle. Worth the extra coin.
Thanks Leonidas

Belmont31R
03-30-11, 13:07
Spikes: Doubled prices the night of the election in 08, and then gave several conflicting reasons why.

BCM: Prices stayed the same on all items except the BCG which was a small increase due to a change in companies doing some testing for them. They kept everything else the same even though uppers were selling out in minutes.

Easy for me to decide. At the time I was in WA, and a local shop tried to do the same BS. Day after election I went in there, ammo was raised 50% and 25% on PMAG's. Never spent a dime there again. They tried to pawn it off on their distributor. The places that kept offering good prices still get my business. Those that tried to make some extra cash off the post election frenzy don't see my money, and never will.

mtdawg169
03-30-11, 13:20
Spikes: Doubled prices the night of the election in 08, and then gave several conflicting reasons why.

BCM: Prices stayed the same on all items except the BCG which was a small increase due to a change in companies doing some testing for them. They kept everything else the same even though uppers were selling out in minutes.

This is my #1 gripe with ST. It was a dick move and I swore them off that day. To me, it was and still is a reflection on the character of the person who runs the company. I won't do business with anyone looking to take advantage just to make a few extra bucks.

RE: the upper linked to above. It does not appear to be an LE model, so I don't think the certs posted by ST apply. If I'm wrong and all of their uppers are supposed to be MP/HP tested, please point me to that info. Basically it appears that what you're looking at is a bushmaster or S&W comparable upper. Probably fine for the average shooter, but why would you compromise when you can have a known good product for less that $100 more?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ASH556
03-30-11, 13:43
Call me a snob, but when I think of Spikes, I immediately think of a guy shooting dirt clods or beer cans. I guess it's just mostly their clientel base.

It's kind of like when a kid with a Civic that has put a Cold Air intake, exhaust, and a body kit on it rolls up next to a guy with a Ferarri, and tries to act like his car is just as good.

That's how the Spikes brand and most of their customers come across as they try to compare their rifles to KAC, DD, BCM, or Noveske.

Iraqgunz
03-30-11, 13:48
Let me make this clear. I probably shouldn't have made the statement that I did concerning their certs. For the simple reason that it will derail this thread and turn into a bigger shitstorm.

All I can say is that if you feel comfortable with Spike's then by all means buy it.

Iraqgunz
03-30-11, 15:42
Please refrain from sending me PM's asking to explain my thoughts on their certifications. Do you own homework and make your own decisions.

markm
03-30-11, 15:55

Ironically, we'd have been more likely seen gun control legislation with McCain. Ali Bama was too busy blowing his political capital on bloating up the government... making gun legislation sure political suicide.

McCain is much more slippery.... He'd have signed legistation by now had he won. I guarantee it.

The panic buying should have started immediately after the primaries... not after the November. But people are completely clueless.

Nightvisionary
03-30-11, 18:24
This is my #1 gripe with ST. It was a dick move and I swore them off that day. To me, it was and still is a reflection on the character of the person who runs the company. I won't do business with anyone looking to take advantage just to make a few extra bucks.

RE: the upper linked to above. It does not appear to be an LE model, so I don't think the certs posted by ST apply. If I'm wrong and all of their uppers are supposed to be MP/HP tested, please point me to that info. Basically it appears that what you're looking at is a bushmaster or S&W comparable upper. Probably fine for the average shooter, but why would you compromise when you can have a known good product for less that $100 more?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

It's called basic capitalism.

Sanpete
03-30-11, 21:45

And walking down the sidewalk wearing a ballerina outfit and eating a handful of dogshit is OK too, but you won't catch many people condoning it.

To the OP, if you want to support a company that hiked their prices (considerably) the night after the election, sells fake silencers, and caters to the "look at my awesome punisher logo durrp" crowd, then go for it. But there are better-proven options within a stone's throw of their prices. Without the tacky logo or the controversial methods and product.

Belmont31R
03-30-11, 21:53

Which means I can then boycott the company for future purchases and spread the word about their price increases within an hour or two of the election results coming in. Works both ways. They can charge 20k for a lower if they want and I can tell my fellow consumers how much they suck.

Iraqgunz
03-30-11, 21:54
This one is done. Thanks to all that participated.