PDA

View Full Version : HK Mk23 Pointless Or Practical...?

SteyrAUG
03-30-11, 02:32
One of the few HK guns I don't actually own. One day I might get one for museum purposes if nothing else. But with the advent of the HK USP45 Tactical is there really any reason to own one at all?

My primary issue with the Mk 23 is that it is huge. The silent decock, while quieter, is hardly silent. And of course it takes a unique mag that won't fit in a Compact USP45. And of course there is price.

So is there any real advantage of the Mk23 over the USP45 Tactical?

F-Trooper05
03-30-11, 03:31
It's the only pistol on earth that would literally survive a trip to Hell. But no, it's not very practical for much else IMHO.

I'd still love to have one...

Silvanus
03-30-11, 05:11

No, definitely not. There a few handguns as pointless as the Mk23 IMO.

motoduck
03-30-11, 05:19
Good collectable, no tangible advantage over USP45 Tactical.

Savior 6
03-30-11, 05:24
I prefer the fire controls and trigger on the Mark 23 to the USP series, as they function more like a Sig where the first trigger pull acts like a true double action rather than a "pre-cocked" DA trigger pull that has slack at the beginning of the pull.
The huge grip and flat decocker are my only complaints with the Mark 23.

MarkG
03-30-11, 06:39
Its one of those pistols you just need to have in your collection. It may not be patently practical but it certainly isn't pointless.

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/030206/13715__tearsofsun_l.jpg

The_Count
03-30-11, 07:22
It's a slow pistol, unless you are a gorilla. Its like using a sledge hammer for surgery. Whereas the HK 45 and 45C are like scalpels.

When it was designed I think HK was trying to compete with DE for the biggest, slowest, most expensive, and worst shooting pistol on the market.

I see no purpose whatsoever for a pistol like that. I had the opportunity to purchase one for a song. I passed then, and I'll pass again.

TC

streck
03-30-11, 07:27
Pretty pointless.

What you can't see in the picture above is the crane above the frame that helps Bruce Willis lift that behemoth with a can.

When the teams were playing with the Mk23, some played with putting a foregrip on the rail when using a can.....at that point, it became laughable.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-30-11, 07:29
If I was going to live as a hermit in Afganistan that would be the pistol for me.

FMJ556
03-30-11, 07:37
I've heard it described as a "crew served handgun"

streck
03-30-11, 07:41
I've heard it described as a "crew served handgun"

Yes it was....:D

FMJ556
03-30-11, 07:45
I am surprised that it is still in production 15 years after introduction, without any major sales contract behind it.

CQC.45
03-30-11, 07:51
I would prefer an HK45 w/ threaded barrel for the same role.

I could list the advantages, but I think they are pretty apparent.

toasterlocker
03-30-11, 08:03
I am surprised that it is still in production 15 years after introduction, without any major sales contract behind it.

I'll bet it really doesn't cost that much more to produce than other HK guns, but because of the "cool" factor they can get away with charging more. Nice big profit margin. Plus, they already have the equipment to make it, no sense letting it go to waste.

PD Sgt.
03-30-11, 08:58
Actually, I believe HK is soon to, or just did, discontinue production of the Mk23. I don't know the exact reason, but I would have to imagine it would have something to do with the very narrow market for that pistol.

I have never used one to weigh in on their worth, but I do know a lot of HK fans that view it as the one pistol they can do without.

loupav
03-30-11, 09:28
I'm a huge HK fan and shoot HK45's/P2000's on a regular basis. Next shoot my P7M8 will make an appearance. I'd love to have a Mk23 but I'm in NO hurry to get one. Being that I live in California, it will be a while until one comes up for sale. Am I missing out on anything? Probably not.

03-30-11, 10:21
At a TigerSwan class, Kyle DeFoor(former SEAL) said all the Mark 23's they had sat collecting dust. I have shot one, but that gun is huge. Not for me. On a side note, have seen an industry professional from this site do well shooting one in classes. But, he has switched to the G17.

Trajan
03-30-11, 10:47
There is a good thread on HKPro comparing the two.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?37855-HK-Mark23-vs-45-Tactical-Head-to-Head-Comparison&

Wouldn't mind owning either, but as you pointed out HK needs to universalize their magazines (and their platforms for that matter).

cynical
03-30-11, 11:04
I dunno, if you run out of ammo and have to beat the badguys to death with your handgun, I could see the Mk23 having an advantage.

Either that, or keep it under your bunk and you can use it as an improvised dumbbell in your off-hours.

:D

Ak44
03-30-11, 11:08
It was discontinued last year along with the SL8 rifle. I think it has a collector's value....but a HK45 is more practical imo.

VooDoo6Actual
03-30-11, 11:35
imo,

Want NOT a need.

Far better pistols available that offer a lot more, weigh less & demensionally more desirable.

BUT, they do look kewl all gussied up w/ can.

Ak44
03-30-11, 12:20
imo,

Want NOT a need.

Far better pistols available that offer a lot more, weigh less & demensionally more desirable.

BUT, they do look kewl all gussied up w/ can.

LAM & Kac can :)

Cosmo M3
03-30-11, 13:12
LAM & Kac can :)

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/SomeCorellianGuy/DSC_8921.jpg

gillian_seed
03-30-11, 13:28
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/SomeCorellianGuy/DSC_8921.jpg

Now that is hot. :cool:

What kind of knife is that?

AJD
03-30-11, 15:50
On paper it sounds like one heck of a pistol but its size makes it a no go for most everyone.

This is pure speculation on my part but I believe the HK45 CT replaced the Mark 23, correct?

So I don't find it surprising that it was discontinued from production as the only "user" that I am aware of has replaced it with another HK design.

one
03-30-11, 20:10
I've got one that I've had since about '97 or so. While I enjoy it it doesn't have a lot of practicality past a field carry pistol. That said I have a Blade tech holster that I got for it years ago when BT actually made belt holsters. That made it a fun river type gun with a can in years past.

It's a nice gun unsuppressed, it's a great gun suppressed. But it's not something I'd "advise" someone to buy.

My USP45C with threaded barrel and HK45C with Threaded barrel both see far more use than my SOCOM likely ever will again. But it's here to stay in the collection.

Amontgomery
03-31-11, 20:49
I would like to see a side-by-side with the FNP45T. I got to handle one recently and I really liked it, and at about half the price, it would get a hard look (at least for any practical reasons).

Dunderway
03-31-11, 23:22
I would love to see a very skilled shooter (preferably of larger frame/hands) run some stop watch test with a MK23 vs. an HK45, preferably supressed. I think the results would be interesting.

ETA: I'm almost blown away that you don't have at leat one fully kitted HK23 in your collection SteyrAUG. I would have just assumed.

Bowser
04-01-11, 04:46
I've always wanted a MK23. Ever since Metal Gear Solid came out for the PlayStation, I wanted to get one. I got to shoot a MK23 a few years ago, that was cool. As for practicality? I'm not the person to ask about that.

Bourneshooter
04-01-11, 11:25
Didn't DEVGRU just order 400-500 of the HK45's with AAC TiRant suppressors specificially to replace the MK23?

IIRC, it also included the new IR laser made by Crimson Trace.

Nevermiss
04-01-11, 12:23
For me, it's practically pointless. Don't get me wrong....I wouldn't mind having one to shoot.

However, I decided to pick up the HK 45 USP Tactical and an AAC TiRant instead.

Treehopr
04-01-11, 15:12
Interesting thread, the general consensus seems to be that the HK mk23 sucks even though HK designed and produced exactly what SOCOM asked for.

The fact that its not a USP45, FNP45, or (insert favorite pistol) has little to do with whether HK made it. They had a customer requirement, they met it and presumably charged enough money to make a profit. That consumers were willing to drop $2k or more on it as a collector's item is just icing on the cake.

Like the SCAR, sometimes you get a weapon designed by committee that does everything that's required of it but yet the end user still doesn't like it. Or the new platform is not enough of an improvement over the old for users to feel the need to make the switch.

FWIW- a retired NSW Senior Chief I spoke to last year mentioned that there was one element within NSW for whom the mk23 with suppressor and IR laser was the perfect tool for a niche application.

The folks that adopted the HK45C with suppressor and IR laser likewise had a reason for doing so and it has nothing to do with what internet experts think they should be using :rolleyes:

Stephen_H
04-01-11, 15:45
The Mk23 is a beast; only instance of a crew served handgun that I am aware of. The Mk23 Mod1 on the other hand is a stroke of brilliance to get a weapon everyone could actual use as a general issue combat handgun.

Stephen

ALCOAR
04-01-11, 15:49
Interesting thread, the general consensus seems to be that the HK mk23 sucks even though HK designed and produced exactly what SOCOM asked for.

The fact that its not a USP45, FNP45, or (insert favorite pistol) has little to do with whether HK made it. They had a customer requirement, they met it and presumably charged enough money to make a profit. That consumers were willing to drop $2k or more on it as a collector's item is just icing on the cake.

Like the SCAR, sometimes you get a weapon designed by committee that does everything that's required of it but yet the end user still doesn't like it. Or the new platform is not enough of an improvement over the old for users to feel the need to make the switch.

FWIW- a retired NSW Senior Chief I spoke to last year mentioned that there was one element within NSW for whom the mk23 with suppressor and IR laser was the perfect tool for a niche application.

The folks that adopted the HK45C with suppressor and IR laser likewise had a reason for doing so and it has nothing to do with what internet experts think they should be using :rolleyes:

Shooting out streetlights and killing noisy dogs:)

30 cal slut
04-01-11, 16:12
Was told by a SEAL that it can be safely fired completely or partially submerged.

I have yet to shoot it in my bath tub, but will report back after a few beers.

Srsly ... tho, I have one and it's a collector's item. Shoots nicely, but the HK45 has a nicer trigger IMO. Mk23 = long ass trigger pull.

grimm
04-01-11, 18:15
The reason why the MK23 is expensive because you really get 2 guns in one. How you say? With all the polymer and steel that goes into building one, you can get 2 P2000s or 2 P30's or 3 P2000sk's from the same raw material. :D

Abraxas
04-01-11, 18:20

I dont think so. But for some unknown reason I want one. I have always, and still do, wanted one but there are better options for any role I can think of that I need.

JackOSU
04-01-11, 20:49
Now that is hot. :cool:

What kind of knife is that?

Get in touch with Andrew via email and he can help you out with his designs. He's also got some really nice pin up art. I may be at the range with him on Sunday afternoon so I'll try to tell him to check out this page.

http://bawidamannblades.posterous.com/

http://www.bawidamann.com/home.html

outrider627
04-01-11, 20:55
I've always wanted a MK23. Ever since Metal Gear Solid came out for the PlayStation, I wanted to get one. I got to shoot a MK23 a few years ago, that was cool. As for practicality? I'm not the person to ask about that.

You too huh? Metal Gear can make anything look cool lol. I love the weapon selection of MGS 4.

gkanga
04-01-11, 21:20
The Mark 23 is not a particularly practical pistol, but it's a fun gun to shoot and I do not regret buying one at all. One of these days I'll buy the Insight LAM and the KAC silencer for it, too. I also have a USP Tactical .45 and I like having both. The USP45 full size models (standard and tactical) can use Mark 23 magazines but not the other way around.

It is a large pistol, the grip is noticeably bigger than the USP45, and the barrel and slide are about an inch longer. Despite all of the boat anchor and crew served handgun jokes, the weight is about the same a 1911 due to the polymer frame, so it's not THAT heavy.

Regarding its actual use, I have met two NSW personnel who have used it. On one occasion I saw and handled the actual Mark 23 in question that he carried in Iraq. The pistol, LAM and silencer were very heavily used and had many layers of brown and tan spray paint. I'm not trying to imply that they're in any kind of widespread use, but they are out there.

Magic_Salad0892
04-02-11, 00:37
You too huh? Metal Gear can make anything look cool lol. I love the weapon selection of MGS 4.

You're pretty good.

13MPG
04-02-11, 01:53
A friend of mine had two of them and I got to spend a fair amount of time shooting them. With the LAM and suppressor it was a hand full to say the least. I did think that it was very accurate and soft to shoot. On the other hand the thing is a pig even without the can and LAM. I am not in the service but I can not see wanting to carry one of them when there are so many other options out there.

Bowser
04-02-11, 04:30

I almost wanted to build an ar15 clone of Snake's MGS4 M4 lol.

Magic_Salad0892
04-02-11, 06:36
I almost wanted to build an ar15 clone of Snake's MGS4 M4 lol.

Lol. I almost did too. Didn't know what suppressor to use though. :| I assumed KAC.

gillian_seed
04-02-11, 11:49
Get in touch with Andrew via email and he can help you out with his designs. He's also got some really nice pin up art. I may be at the range with him on Sunday afternoon so I'll try to tell him to check out this page.

http://bawidamannblades.posterous.com/

http://www.bawidamann.com/home.html

Very cool, thanks for the links.

karandom
04-02-11, 12:49
Actually, I believe HK is soon to, or just did, discontinue production of the Mk23. I don't know the exact reason, but I would have to imagine it would have something to do with the very narrow market for that pistol.

Official word about HK discontinuing the pistol.
http://www.hk-usa.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7948

S-1
04-02-11, 15:50
Here's an interesting and relevant to this subject post that Frogman at TF made a couple years ago regarding the Mk23.

You can’t really tell the Mk 23 story without telling parts of the Beretta and SIG story, as well. The Beretta 92F was largely the result of a specific SEAL Team urging Beretta to modify a few things with the standard 92 for the unit’s use. Things like moving the magazine release from the butt to the frame, re-shaping the trigger guard…etc. This particular SEAL Team had Beretta 92F’s before the U.S. military ever went to the “M9”. During the testing for the new U.S. standard issue sidearm SIG actually slightly outperformed the Beretta. I was told that it wasn’t chosen because Beretta slightly beat the price point over SIG. The real answer is probably a bit more complicated than that, but Beretta did eventually win . The trials lasted a long time during which life went on in the Teams…until Berettas starting failing in the SEAL Teams. I remember those days well. The Teams had a lot of loyalty to the pistol, but all of that ended when Beretta publicly accused the Teams of routinely firing “hot” ammo through the guns. Not a true statement. The Teams dropped the Beretta and were authorized to purchase an “interim” handgun to fill the bill until the ink was dry on the government standard sidearm contract. The Teams bought SIGs and began a loyalty on that system which persists even still.

It wasn’t too long before Army SOF began to sour on the Beretta. Their problem was that they already had M1911A1’s on their TOA&E. The military being what it is, you can only have one caliber of a particular type of like equipment. Army SOF began to work the issue by conceptualizing an “Offensive Handgun” different in definition and .45 ACP. This was just post Desert Storm. SEAL SIGs had been in inventory for 2-3 years and folks were starting to recall that the P226 was only an “interim” buy. Someone was caught using improper justification for a second purchase of SIGs by Congress. During the dust-up which followed Army SOF approached Navy SOF through Crane with the “Offensive Handgun” concept. The Navy could take the lead on the project and if it came off both the Army and Navy SOF would enjoy a new .45 cal handgun. The “Offensive Handgun” project felt the influences of many opinionated pistoleros. A long list of features was drawn up.

Eventually both Colt and HK submitted Phase One Prototypes for endurance testing. I was actually one of the SEALs who had to fire 30,000 rounds through a Colt and HK pistol over the course of a week in 1994 and document every failure. Not as fun as you might think.

We also took the revamped (Phase Two) prototypes to Rogers’ Shooting School for testing (that was fun) in early 1995. I and several other SEAL Team “bullet heads” went to the testing with malice in our hearts not only for the gun but the very concept of the gun. Our intent was to shoot it better than anyone else and then slam it in the critiques.

The gun grew on us haters. That simple. It was dead accurate, big- yes, but manageable. With a suppressor on it is unlike any other handgun.

It was finally issued around 1996 or so. I used it in winter warfare a lot, for over the beach work and diving. I preferred my SIG for assaults. Later in my career I did a lot more diving and over the beach work. The Mk 23 was awesome at that stuff. It is the best weapon to have in a hide site when lying up with a Team in a concealed position. You can bring it to bear day or night on anyone sneaking up on you. It is accurate even after blowing through your hide site material, the suppressor is pretty quiet and the LAM lets you get away with a lot. I used it and trained many other SEALs to use it very capably. The SEAL Teams that did not dive as much as, say, SDV Teams neglected their Mk 23’s. The Mk 23’s strengths were not as obvious to those guys who weren’t swimming and diving all the time. Last year a message came out to turn in all Mk 23’s to Crane. At least one SDV Team flatly refused. A few other Teams suddenly decided they should keep a “few”. So those at NAVSPECWARCOM who had sent the message in the first place restricted the expenditure of .45 ammo, instead. SDV Teams now have Mk 23s but no ammo allowance. They even ordered S&W 686’s from Crane to outfit their guys because a SIG will not survive a long dive very well. I know of a handful of guys who have taken their issue Mk 23’s overseas since the ammo cut-off because they know they can get the ammo there and have actually carried them in missions far from the water.

Here is another picture taken of one of my "students". This shows the use of the Mk 23 as a hide defense weapon.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/Frogman5326/Frogmanscamera306.jpg

HK45
04-14-11, 10:25

HK has been very successful in marketing it to wanna be's who think SEAL's and Special Forces are running around with it. From what I remember this pistol or whatever it is was designed at Crane with no input from anyone who would actually use it. It's more of a curiosity and an oddity than anything else. It didn't help that when it was introduced HK had a reputation for terrible service even to these types of units so armorers were not exactly well disposed to them.

streck
04-14-11, 10:39
From what I remember this pistol or whatever it is was designed at Crane

It wasn't a Crane brain child. USSOCOM, procured it. Some testing may have been done at Crane.

HK45
04-14-11, 11:40
It's safe to assume you know more than I do about this if you were around at the time but I was told that USSOCOM asked for something like this pistol and it was designed by committee by Crane and HK with no input from trigger pullers. Some of of my information is secondhand. i was USMC at the time and was told by Army SOF at Bragg that they wanted nothing to do with this pistol but it was foisted on them anyway. At the time they used 1911's as we did and wanted nothing else. Even though I did a lot of training with SEAL teams and a few more serious things I spent most of my inter-service time with SOF so I am confident in saying this. I still do not believe it saw anything but niche use with anyone else.

streck
04-14-11, 11:50
It's safe to assume you know more than I do about this if you were around at the time but I was told that USSOCOM asked for something like this pistol and it was designed by committee by Crane and HK with no input from trigger pullers.

I wasn't around Crane then, but the Mk23 doesn't have any fans among those there that were around then. At least among those I talked to.

Some of of my information is secondhand. i was USMC at the time and was told by Army SOF at Bragg that they wanted nothing to do with this pistol but it was foisted on them anyway.

My understanding is that the SF had it pushed to them to justify .45 ammo purchases for the 1911.

sniperfrog
04-14-11, 20:24
I was in the Teams when we got the Mk23s. I did not like it at all. Big, heavy, slow coming from the holster and a very heavy double action first pull. Team 2 made a couple platoons work up with it. Everyone was so dissatisfied with the pistol and there where so many complaints that they finally shelved them and bought new Sigs. Now at the time we were big into VBSS/CQB so the Mk23 was not ideal. Also, we had guys doing stuff overseas that needed to carry concealed so we ended up buying Sig 228s as well. I only knew a handful of guys that liked the Mk23 and all of them were at least 6'2" or bigger.

I also talked with one of the engineers at Crane about it. The list of things they wanted the pistol to do was kinda ridiculous. One was it had to survive something like 20,000 rounds of +P+ ammo. It was overkill all the way but not in a good way. We just wanted a good secondary weapon to transition to in the event your primary went down. We already had suppressed HK P9s for any "niche" work, or whatever you want to call it.

Side note: My first platoon chief was one of the original MOB6 guys and was part of the T&E for a new pistol back in the early '80s. He told us the Beretta was the best gun by far over all the others tested. According to him, when the mil-specs were written for the Beretta they changed some things making the gun weaker in areas that later caused the problems with the slides flying off the guns. I was also told by some guys that they thought it was the 9mm ammo that they were using in the Uzis that was loaded alot hotter. This was pre-MP5.

streck
04-14-11, 20:34
I was in the Teams when we got the Mk23s. I did not like it at all.

Thanks for that perspective.

Does the name Kevin Banker ring a bell?

R3V3LATIONS
04-14-11, 21:07
It sure could double as a nice boat anchor (hence why SEALs had it?)
:D
On the other side though, I agree with Abraxas...I just want one....in a wierd, impractical, unjustifiable, un-explainable way. Even after seeing what it costs :shout:

sniperfrog
04-15-11, 14:30
Thanks for that perspective.

Does the name Kevin Banker ring a bell?

No. Was he in the Teams or at Crane?

Circle_10
09-18-13, 19:08
So having read through this thread, it seems like the Mk23 is of somewhat questionable practicality. They have always had a certain visceral appeal for me though. Tonight I found a used one apparently being offered for sale on a workplace bulletin board for $800. Either this is a typo (as in it was supposed to say $1800) or it's a stupid-low price. I guess my question is it a gun that becomes more worth buying when it is only $800? Or should it still be bypassed in favor of something else? Even if the "cool factor" is high and the price low I don't want a completely impractical handgun.

Five_Point_Five_Six
09-18-13, 20:13
The reason it's practicality isn't blatantly obvious to some people is because they're not operators.

Look, if I'm walking my family through a dark alley at night in the middle of Detroit and I'm forced to break kydex and light up a skinny, there is no better weapon to do that with than a suppressed MK23.

Gutshot John
09-18-13, 20:34
Perhaps the least shoot able pistol ever made. The USP tactical comes in a close second.

It's like shooting a brick.

DanjojoUSMC
09-18-13, 20:45
If you have the funds may as well try it out for a few weeks and then make $400+ profit selling after curiosity is satisfied. Win-win situation.

AJD
09-18-13, 20:56
If you have the funds may as well try it out for a few weeks and then make $400+ profit selling after curiosity is satisfied. Win-win situation.

Agreed, what I was going to say. Clearly its a novelty pistol..but what's wrong with that if you have your "serious" pistols covered?

Circle_10
09-18-13, 21:03
Well maybe I'll find out if $800 really is the asking price tomorrow. I wasn't in a position where I could call at a reasonable hour tonight when I saw the ad.

MountainRaven
09-18-13, 21:18
Re: Mk23 in USSOCOM: My understanding is that most guys hated it... except for the UDT* guys. And apparently it was very popular with a suppressor for guys in camouflaged OPs (I forget the actual term) operating "deep in enemy territory".

My understanding of the former is that it wasn't so much that the Mk23 was awesome, so much that they just weren't fond of the SiG rusting out. (Something it is apparently infamous for among UDT* guys.)

*Meaning the guys who blow stuff up under water. I know they're all SEALs, now, and UDT has been defunct since '83.

Well maybe I'll find out if $800 really is the asking price tomorrow. I wasn't in a position where I could call at a reasonable hour tonight when I saw the ad.

$800 for a Mk23? I'll take two!

Seriously, though, as impractical as the thing is... as huge as it is... as much as I really wouldn't have a use for the big ole thing... I'd definitely buy one for $800, new or used.

E-man930
09-18-13, 22:40
It stops becoming an oddity when you shoot it. I have fired .45+P, .45+P+, and .45 Super through them and finally understood why they were created. This pistol was designed to fire 1250FPs .45 AP, incendiary, explosive, and API rounds... Not 750 FPS 230 gr ball. Shooting it suppressed will also surprise you, it almost feels to soft to be real... Add the fact that it's just indestructible and you can amost justify the purchase price.

one
09-18-13, 23:17
For $800, assuming everything is ok with it. I'd not think twice about it from a collectible standpoint. But it's not something you're going to really want to carry.

Joe R.
09-19-13, 11:04
The Mk23 is the direct result of a weapon which was specked out by a committee of non-shooters. Having said that it is a tac driver.

I have never seen one that did not shoot exceptionally well. We used them very little when I worked for HK ITD (there were not a lot out in the wild and we tended to use the guns the students were using), but I did enjoy shooting them. It's big (too big). The manual of arms is unique. But...it does have a high coolness factor. If you have the cash I would certainly put down $800 on one.

Psalms144.1
09-19-13, 11:12
I have ZERO use for the Mk23, and the only person I ever saw carrying one in real life was an S1 weenie assigned to a CJSOTF sitting the desk in Balad, Iraq. I can understand its limited application for a truly suppressed "offensive" pistol, but I have to believe they could have achieved that goal in a platform that doesn't require a tripod and an assistant gunner.

Having said that, as I close in on final payment in over $40K in repairs to my house, and having been furloughed for six days this year, I would IMMEDIATELY purchase a Mk23 for $800 unless it had been attacked by an amateur gunsmith with a dremel and run over with a tank. While on fire.

Assuming the gun isn't completely trashed, there is NO WAY you can't buy it at that price, have a serious "cool guy" pistol to show off at the range, then sell it in a couple of months/years at a significant profit when the new gun smell wears off.

Regards,

Kevin

0351-Marine
09-19-13, 11:19
I have both, and can fire the 45 Tactical much more accurately. The trigger is better in the tactical and it is better balanced.

MichaelVain
09-20-13, 12:27
If you don't buy it, I wouldn't mind picking up a 3rd one at $800.

Plumber237
09-20-13, 14:14
Despite the fair amount of hate the mk23 gets, I still want one bad. I am a big fan of the USP series, but hate the "tactical" adjustable sights. For me, it's the one gun I've always wanted, despite it's limited uses. I was pumped to see that G&R sells them now. Let the saving begin!

Gutshot John
09-20-13, 14:19
x$800? I'd buy one and I hate the damn thing but...

My gut is either the seller doesn't know what they have, or it's a mislabeled tactical.

Something stinks.

Circle_10
09-21-13, 16:28
x$800? I'd buy one and I hate the damn thing but...

My gut is either the seller doesn't know what they have, or it's a mislabeled tactical.

Something stinks.

The pictures included on the ad do clearly show "H&K Mark 23" on the slide but the pic quality isn't quite good enough to determine the cosmetic condition. The ad describes it as "well used, but still in great shape.". I left him a voicemail but haven't heard back yet.

Gutshot John
09-21-13, 16:34
The pictures included on the ad do clearly show "H&K Mark 23" on the slide but the pic quality isn't quite good enough to determine the cosmetic condition. The ad describes it as "well used, but still in great shape.". I left him a voicemail but haven't heard back yet.

Understood but I've long been conditioned, especially in the firearms arena, that if something seems too good to be true...

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-21-13, 18:24
I suppose I can't see any reason to have a MK 23 when an HK45C or even the full-size can be had used for $600-850

Circle_10
09-21-13, 19:14
Understood but I've long been conditioned, especially in the firearms arena, that if something seems too good to be true...

Noted. Probably a prudent approach.
I'm kinda going back and forth about whether I even want the thing/have a use for it. We'll see if the guy even gets back to me first though.

DanTSX
09-22-13, 20:11
I've shot a few. One of them I had an option to buy at $700 as it was a range gun being retired by the store.

I was not really impressed shooting it. Typical high quality HK, but another HK engineering exercise. It was well built and accurate, but it's size, price, and controls were still hurdles that could not be rationalized away, especially with competing products on the market including HK's own newer 45's. At this point, I have to conclude that the only rationale for owning it is it's history/mythology and collectabillity. Certainly not a "bad" buy, but not the best from a more learned and experienced gun-toting point of view.

Make mine a Gen 4 Glock 21. Faster, simpler, cheaper, and probably 97% as accurate. If you must have HK for whatever reason, go with the HK45, a solid, proportioned side arm in anyones' view.

BT2012
09-23-13, 09:14
I would add it to my collection but it won't be an EDC.