PDA

View Full Version : So, should I go Colt 6920 or Colt 6720?

greywolf2112
03-30-11, 10:57
Looking for a KISS rifle and want to get a stock Colt. Probably the only thing I might change is the pistol grip and handguards (Magpul MIAD or CAA grip, Magpul MOE handguards). Perhaps someday add a Micro red dot, or just keep things stock irons.

So, I have an opportunity to buy a NIB Colt 6920 rifle locally, face-to-face, for a little over $800 - he's asking $850 and maybe I can get a deal and talk him down to $800.

Or I could order a 6720 for $1200 plus shipping and transfer so I'd be at about $1250

Are we talking maybe 8 ounces difference in weight between the two? I can't seem to find accurate numbers for weight for both models.

Wondering if the extra $450 to save 8-10 ounces of weight is worth it.

Semizal0311
03-30-11, 11:26
I would go with the 6920 and put the $400 towards ammo and/or classes.

operator81
03-30-11, 11:34
Given the savings, go with the 6920.

justin_247
03-30-11, 12:42
RUN and buy that new 6920 right now! Seriously, that's an amazing deal that one rarely sees.

For the cost of the 6720, you can buy the 6920 and a whole new lightweight barrel assembly from DD if you're unhappy with the Colt barrel.

BUY
IT
NOW.

crusader377
03-30-11, 12:47
If they were equal price I would do the 6720. However getting a 6920 for $850 is an amazing deal and if I were you I would buy the 6920 today.

FChen17213
03-30-11, 13:12
That 6920 is a great deal. I would get it immediately. The 6720 is a great gun, but it's definitely not $400 more gun.

ST911
03-30-11, 14:30
If they were equal price I would do the 6720. However getting a 6920 for $850 is an amazing deal and if I were you I would buy the 6920 today.

This.

Caeser25
03-30-11, 14:41
Given the savings, go with the 6920.

This and spend the difference on a gym membership :D

j/k send it to Adco if you want lw.

alpha.kilo
03-30-11, 15:01
Are you sure that price for is a complete 6920 rifle, and not just an upper? $850 seems to good to be true.

Remember, trust, but verify.

AK.

Abraxas
03-30-11, 15:07
No question, 6920. Put the other money into a sight or ammo or training

lt211
03-30-11, 17:36
$850.00 too cheap, sounds to good to be true(you know what they say). If its not, don't try and chew him down fifty bucks, pay the $850.00 and run! Thats a no brainier...

davidjinks
03-30-11, 17:57
If this is in fact the whole rifle and it is NIB…

Go for the 6920. I can't even touch that price with the discounts I get from my local shop.

greywolf2112
03-30-11, 19:25
Planning on getting a Colt 6720 lightweight. It has a flat top reveiver and non F-marked FSB. As a result, from what I'm reading, the front sight post has to be almost twisted out of the block to get it sighted in at 25 yards, and ergo is wobbly and quite "off".

I was planning on getting a Troy BUIS though I assume they only adjust for windage.

I'd like to get a tritium front post.

Are there tritium front posts out there that are higher/raised so that I won't end up having to run my post out so much it is almost coming out?

greywolf2112
03-30-11, 19:27
Missed out on it - even if I had emailed him right after I saw it I was too late - I don't think he realized how good of a deal he was offering - damn.

Well, guess I'll get the 6720 now.

An Undocumented Worker
03-30-11, 19:44
Shoot the gun first to see if it is going to be a problem.

45C
03-30-11, 20:54
If you buy a 6720 look it over real good before you buy. Mine had some issues {it's back at Colt for them to fix the mess Clydes made with it}. Another member here had problems with his also.

variablebinary
03-30-11, 20:57
If you buy a 6720 look it over real good before you buy. Mine had some issues {it's back at Colt for them to fix the mess Clydes made with it}. Another member here had problems with his also.

What exactly did Clydes do? Some issues? Like?

45C
03-30-11, 21:16
A long story. Well first there was a delay shipping it due to the weather {they told me there would be} but it ended up being longer then they said and they didnt send a tracking # when they did ship even though they said they would, fine shit happens. So two weeks later I got it. It had the A3 carry handle sight instead of the MaTech. So contacted them, turns out they got a large number of them with the wrong sight, they found out because of mine {my rifle is in the 7xx serial range}. So they sent me a MaTech sight with a FedEx return label for the A3 sight {they seemed really worried that I was gonna keep their damn A3 sight}. So a week later I get it but no instructions with it {again no big deal but} good thing I found some on the internet, I have a habit of overtightening stuff. If you do that with the Matech you can strip the threads and it was nice to get the zeroing instructions for it. So I take it out to test fire it. Ran a couple of mags through it, something didnt seem right, field stripped it, gas tube looks like its bent to the side and allready has alot of wear from rubbing against the gas key. Took the handguards off, gas tube is bent, looks like they didnt line up barrel nut & delta ring {handguards were slightly canted too} with upper reciever. I called Colt they said send it in, would take 60 days to repair. At that time I needed the gun immediately and had enough delays. I contacted Clyde, told them what happened, I wanted a new upper or a refund. They said send them back the upper and they'd expidite things with Colt and get it exchanged or repaired, would'nt take 60 days. Tried to use the FedEx shipping label, called for pickup, FedEx said they didnt recognize my addresse in their system even though they deliver here {we live in a very rural area} I think it was because the label was for pickup from another business not individual use but anyway. So finally send it back to them Priority Mail $18.00. Tracking says they got it, I contacted them to see what they're gonna do, they say they will let me by close of business thursday. Never heard from them. Friday I called credit card company to dispute the charge. I contacted Clyde and told them I want to return it for a refund. They said that since I fired it I cant, that their "Colt Certified Armorer" had repaired it and replaced the gas tube and that it was now milspec. I called Colt and explained the situation and asked how that would affect my warranty. Colt said if anyone other then the factory worked on it my warranty would be voided. Contacted Clyde and told them this, they said they were waiting for Colt to send them and me something in writing saying it wasnt voided, been close to three weeks and have'nt heard anything yet. So I get the upper back from them. They didnt replace the gas tube like they said, looks like they just reset the old one and now the front sight base is canted to the right. Things arent lined up right. So I sent the entire gun to Colt and am waiting to see what they say.

greywolf2112
03-30-11, 21:23
What exactly did Clydes do? Some issues? Like?

Hmm - I'd be interested in knowing more about that as well. I thought Clydes was a pretty good/reputable group. I've not heard of this on any other forum or on the internet.

I don't have the opportunity to look one over - I have to order direct from Clydes.

45C
03-30-11, 21:32
Hmm - I'd be interested in knowing more about that as well. I thought Clydes was a pretty good/reputable group. I've not heard of this on any other forum or on the internet.

I don't have the opportunity to look one over - I have to order direct from Clydes.

See here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=68533

greywolf2112
03-30-11, 21:58
Hmm, great - now I have to wonder if maybe instead I should look into a BCM middy - wonder if they make a real lightweight one?

Iraqgunz
03-30-11, 21:59
I'm pretty sure that they have lightweight middy uppers in stock.

Hmm, great - now I have to wonder if maybe instead I should look into a BCM middy - wonder if they make a real lightweight one?

45C
03-30-11, 23:27
Some pics of the bent gas tube on my 6720:

greywolf2112
03-31-11, 08:49
Some pics of the bent gas tube on my 6720:

Holy crap - even at my WORST when building my various ARs I never did something THAT bad! :suicide2:

OK, question then:

Is there a huge difference between the weight of a BCM 14.5" middy vs. the BCM 14.5" middy lightweight? I recall reading something somewhere where the owner of BCM stated that due to changing the FSB/gas block to accomodate the .625" barrel on the LW that he was realistically looking at only about a 1 oz weight difference between the two.

CaptainDooley
03-31-11, 09:04

They do...

http://m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=7931&stc=1&d=1301580463

alpha.kilo
03-31-11, 12:30
For what it's worth: I have bought multiple carbines from Clydes and have gotten perfect CS and great pricing. I am very surprised and dismayed to read the above experience. I hope it is an anomaly.

AK

lt211
03-31-11, 18:24

Colt 6920 / LE6920: Weight: 5.95 lb (2.67 kg) please people! how much lighter?

greywolf2112
03-31-11, 18:26
Thanks for the info and opinions, guys. Just ordered a BCM LW Middy 14.5", their special charging handle, and a M16 FA regular bolt and not the special wunder-kind.

Look forward to trying them out - I'm trying hard to keep the weight down and go old-school with non-FF handguards (MOE from Magpul), normal FSB with tritium post, Troy flip-up rear, maybe eventually a Micro or Patrol optic.

lt211
03-31-11, 19:01
sounds great, let us know how it works out.

fnforme
03-31-11, 20:51
Missed out on it - even if I had emailed him right after I saw it I was too late - I don't think he realized how good of a deal he was offering - damn.

Well, guess I'll get the 6720 now.

Was the gun in Sebring? If so, I was the one that snagged it :D

greywolf2112
03-31-11, 20:59
Was the gun in Sebring? If so, I was the one that snagged it :D

ROFL - you son-of-a-bitch! Yes, it was the one in Sebring - you got a HELL of a deal, dude! :dance3:

ST911
04-01-11, 12:50
I've had excellent service from Clyde Armory in many personal and gov purchases from them, including the Colt 6720. Mine (ser <500) runs hard, and well.

Colt's CS can be slow and sometimes has a personality to it, but let the process work.

sundance435
04-01-11, 13:09
A long story. Well first there was a delay shipping it due to the weather {they told me there would be} but it ended up being longer then they said and they didnt send a tracking # when they did ship even though they said they would, fine shit happens. So two weeks later I got it. It had the A3 carry handle sight instead of the MaTech. So contacted them, turns out they got a large number of them with the wrong sight, they found out because of mine {my rifle is in the 7xx serial range}. So they sent me a MaTech sight with a FedEx return label for the A3 sight {they seemed really worried that I was gonna keep their damn A3 sight}. So a week later I get it but no instructions with it {again no big deal but} good thing I found some on the internet, I have a habit of overtightening stuff. If you do that with the Matech you can strip the threads and it was nice to get the zeroing instructions for it. So I take it out to test fire it. Ran a couple of mags through it, something didnt seem right, field stripped it, gas tube looks like its bent to the side and allready has alot of wear from rubbing against the gas key. Took the handguards off, gas tube is bent, looks like they didnt line up barrel nut & delta ring {handguards were slightly canted too} with upper reciever. I called Colt they said send it in, would take 60 days to repair. At that time I needed the gun immediately and had enough delays. I contacted Clyde, told them what happened, I wanted a new upper or a refund. They said send them back the upper and they'd expidite things with Colt and get it exchanged or repaired, would'nt take 60 days. Tried to use the FedEx shipping label, called for pickup, FedEx said they didnt recognize my addresse in their system even though they deliver here {we live in a very rural area} I think it was because the label was for pickup from another business not individual use but anyway. So finally send it back to them Priority Mail $18.00. Tracking says they got it, I contacted them to see what they're gonna do, they say they will let me by close of business thursday. Never heard from them. Friday I called credit card company to dispute the charge. I contacted Clyde and told them I want to return it for a refund. They said that since I fired it I cant, that their "Colt Certified Armorer" had repaired it and replaced the gas tube and that it was now milspec. I called Colt and explained the situation and asked how that would affect my warranty. Colt said if anyone other then the factory worked on it my warranty would be voided. Contacted Clyde and told them this, they said they were waiting for Colt to send them and me something in writing saying it wasnt voided, been close to three weeks and have'nt heard anything yet. So I get the upper back from them. They didnt replace the gas tube like they said, looks like they just reset the old one and now the front sight base is canted to the right. Things arent lined up right. So I sent the entire gun to Colt and am waiting to see what they say.

Yet another reason to use gandrtactical.com, if they have what you are looking for. Grant would not send that out in the first place, but would definitely make it right if it slipped through the cracks.