PDA

View Full Version : Warning to my fellow shooters!

Pages : [1] 2

C4IGrant
03-30-11, 16:14
Parts are becoming scarce. AR's and pistols (from quality manufacturers) are becoming scarce RIGHT NOW! Ammo prices are climbing and certain types of quality ammo is harder to get.

My theory for this is that people got burned so bad during the last election that they are buying everything now so they won't get screwed (again) in 2012. My sales are back up to where they were when Obama got elected! :eek:

As 2012 draws closer things are going to get worse for sure. Expect higher prices on nearly everything (especially guns, mags and ammo). So be wise and start buying what you need or want NOW so you do not get trapped.

C4

Doc Safari
03-30-11, 16:22
I believe you. I was in my local dealer's shop last Saturday and I made a joke about his empty rifle rack.

He said he had sold out all his AR's that day.

An Undocumented Worker
03-30-11, 16:22
This is not the news I like to hear.:( It wasn't untill about summer last year till things normalized from the 08 election. It seems that the firearms market grew substantially from the 08 panic and there are more people who have become dedicated shooters. Yet the ammo manufacturers have not invested in more capacity due to thoughts the 08 scare was just temporary, and a depressed economy.

I would hope to think that supply and demand will normalize sometime in the near future and that we wont have to worry about the feast/famine cycle we've had lately. I just hope we still have atleast all of the freedoms we currently have when that happens.

JDW67
03-30-11, 16:23
So, what's the warning?

03-30-11, 16:24
Another lower (or two) and a few more mags won't hurt.

ALCOAR
03-30-11, 16:27
The prices will only go crazy if everyone buys into these reports of huge price increases....this is only feeding the problem.

C4IGrant
03-30-11, 16:33
So, what's the warning?

That parts, ammo and guns are becoming scarce NOW and are going to get worse as we approach 2012 and then ALL of 2012 will be a nightmare for the consumer.

So buy what you want NOW and don't wait because if you wait, you will end of paying more for the same thing OR not be able to find it at all.

C4

krichbaum
03-30-11, 16:35
The prices will only go crazy if everyone buys into these reports of huge price increases....this is only feeding the problem.

I agree. I'm still sitting on a few items I bought last time I bought into the hype. I'll be selling into this one to make a few extra bucks if it's really happening.

C4IGrant
03-30-11, 16:36

Nothing to "buy into." It is fact that we cannot get certain things.

Prices have not started to rise (yet). I am now out of things that I have not been out of since Obama got elected (clue).

Dealers are the first ones to realize that something is up. Not because they receive a spike in their sales for a month, but from talking to the companies that make the stuff that they buy.

Parts shortages and such started last month (FYI).

C4

HuttoAg96
03-30-11, 16:37
sounds like I need to secure a few thousand rounds at a minimum.

Quentin
03-30-11, 16:37
I think you're on to something here, Grant. I've noticed shortages the last couple months online and locally. Today I stopped in looking for Federal 9mm and ALL the 9mm was sold out. :(

C4IGrant
03-30-11, 16:41
So let me get this straight. A gun dealer is telling everyone to buy now because they may not be available later... I'm pretty sure that is marketing 101. Good strategy.

LOL, good try, but no. Believe me when I say, that I don't need any more business (am swamped with orders).

I am trying to help my fellow shooters out because MANY of you did not get into the whole "AR thing" till recently and fail to realize that it is happening again and you will be sending me e-mails whining about the fact that you can find the GUN/AMMO/Part you want. ;)

Oh and welcome to the forum (nice first post).

C4

C4IGrant
03-30-11, 16:44
I think you're on to something here, Grant. I've noticed shortages the last couple months online and locally. Today I stopped in looking for Federal 9mm and ALL the 9mm was sold out. :(

Yep. As I stated, it started last month. Since no one is really talking about it, I thought I would do a public service announcement.

And by all means, by from whomever your favorite dealer is, but just get in while the prices are still low.

C4

Torsion
03-30-11, 16:44
Yeah, I'll be stocking up on high cap. magazines for my newest pistol, and Pmags at the next few gunshows.

markm
03-30-11, 16:52
If you're short on something at this point in the game, it's your own damned fault...

That said... I agree with G dogg. BCM keeps running out of bolt groups for no logical reason.

I'm already in my bunker with my Kevlar on tight... so I don't give a shit one way or the other!!

C4IGrant
03-30-11, 17:01
If you're short on something at this point in the game, it's your own damned fault...

Right, but we have a lot of new shooters that came in during 2010 and really don't know about what happens in election years. So hopefully my warning (and people that have been shooting for a long times warning) will be a wake up call for them.

Then again, I might just be wasting my breath (as some think I am crazy for even suggesting such a thing).

C4

markf4e
03-30-11, 17:03
Right, but we have a lot of new shooters that came in during 2010 and really don't know about what happens in election years. So hopefully my warning (and people that have been shooting for a long times warning) will be a wake up call for them.

Then again, I might just be wasting my breath (as some think I am crazy for even suggesting such a thing).

C4

Grant,

Thank you for the warning. I am new to ARs so I had no idea about the frenzy last time. Have you seen accessories like optics selling out quick as well?

Thanks,

- Mark

kartoffel
03-30-11, 17:03
Even if there isn't a coming shortage, prices are likely only go to up. Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

C4IGrant
03-30-11, 17:04
Grant,

Thank you for the warning. I am new to ARs so I had no idea about the frenzy last time. Have you seen accessories like optics selling out quick as well?

Thanks,

- Mark

You are welcome Sir.

Yes on optics. I cannot keep Aimpoint's in stock (especially the Micro's) and Aimpoint tells me that they simply cannot keep up with the demand for the T-1's.

C4

Moose-Knuckle
03-30-11, 17:05
I attribute this to the story breaking on the White House's latest attack on our 2nd Amendment rights. The Mexico connection as reported by Glen Beck. . .

Rattlehead
03-30-11, 17:05

C4

smh..

JDW67
03-30-11, 17:06
If anything is going to happen, I'm more worried about food and water instead of gun parts.

Already have several thousand rounds of 5.56 and .45 from the last gun show.

Doc Safari
03-30-11, 17:06
I attribute this to the story breaking on the White House's latest attack on our 2nd Amendment rights. The Mexico connection as reported by Glen Beck. . .

I follow Glenn Beck pretty close, but I must have missed that.

Can you elaborate on how the Mexican connection might be helping cause this panic?

Thanks.

Belmont31R
03-30-11, 17:10
I follow Glenn Beck pretty close, but I must have missed that.

Can you elaborate on how the Mexican connection might be helping cause this panic?

Thanks.

ATF told gun stores to sell guns to highly suspected straw buyers/cartel buyers. Dealer sells guns. Guns end up in Mexico. Guns end up being found at crime scene of murdered Fed agent on border. Executive branch scrambling to deny any knowledge, ATF refusing to testify in front of congress, et cetera ect.

Doc Safari
03-30-11, 17:11
ATF told gun stores to sell guns to highly suspected straw buyers/cartel buyers. Dealer sells guns. Guns end up in Mexico. Guns end up being found at crime scene of murdered Fed agent on border. Executive branch scrambling to deny any knowledge, ATF refusing to testify in front of congress, et cetera ect.

Yes I've heard about Operation Gunrunner, but why would that make people rush into a panic buy mode?

Belmont31R
03-30-11, 17:24
Yes I've heard about Operation Gunrunner, but why would that make people rush into a panic buy mode?

This was an off shoot of Gun Runner in which I was a target. Theres a thread on here about it. Gun Runner is just going through dealer records identifying potentional straw buyers. This "Fast and Furious" operation was getting dealers to sell to highly suspected cartel buyers in the vain attempt of "tracking" the guns once they were sold. Only problem besides knowingly allowing cartel buyers to buy large amounts of firearms is a Fed was murdered by one of the guns the ATF told the dealer to sell. Now they are in full CYA mode.

I don't want to start an LEO "bash fest" since LEO threads are a no no here now just explaining what the previous poster was talking about. If you want to do more research I've given you the op code names, and there is a 24 page thread on the tos GD about it with all the pertinent info.

Regards to this thread people should have been buying and stocking up on parts/ammo/guns long before any new supposed scare. My ammo shelf is full, got more lowers than I know what do with it, and even selling off excess parts right now. I would just caution the parents out there to have something set aside for their kids. Each of mine have an AR, 10 mags, and a case of ammo waiting for them. You can't trust any politician to ensure your now little kids will be able get what you have now.

C4IGrant
If anything is going to happen, I'm more worried about food and water instead of gun parts.

Already have several thousand rounds of 5.56 and .45 from the last gun show.

First, being prepared in ALL aspects is a good idea (food, water, survival).

Second this thread isn't some kind of "doomsday" type thing. It is to warn people that during election years, gun parts, guns, ammo and mags are much harder to come by AND that the buying craziness has started 10 MONTHS EARLY!

C4

The Cat
Thanks for the heads-up, Grant.

Fortunately, all I need is ammo right now.

Leonidas24
03-30-11, 17:29
I'm good on parts, you just got some of my money for that last Thursday in fact. With my wedding coming up in July I've been saving up for a decent ring, and am short on ammo. Any idea what can be expected as far as prices go for 1000 rds M193?

Moose-Knuckle
03-30-11, 17:35

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/obama-denies-knowledge-of-controversial-fed-operation-smuggling-guns-into-mexico/

Because the spin doctors are going to spin this into reason to push new legislation. Mexican violence is "our fault" due to our gun culture. :rolleyes:

JDW67
03-30-11, 17:36
Meh, I'll just wait till after the election to make any major purchases...

ALCOAR
03-30-11, 17:48

Smart move... I personally cannot wait for the fire sale after the 2012 elections from all the folks who wigged out and went into panic mode driving up all the prices.

Obama didn't exactly take my guns away or the right to buy future ones, rather he made it twice as easy for me to buy premium gear on the super cheap once he was elected and all the scare gun owners sold off their horded gear and such.

walter34payton2002
03-30-11, 17:53
May I also suggest this is the time we want a strong NRA. Aside from using this to push more legislation, Hillary Clinton will soon sigh a UN Global Gun Ban Treaty which will be up to the Senate to ratify. Donate now, get memberships for the family, and add a buck where applicable when making an online purchase. Obama owes the left some gun ban legislation and make no mistake IT IS COMING friends.

Thanks for the heads-up Grant.

ZRH
03-30-11, 17:54
Smart move... I personally cannot wait for the fire sale after the 2012 elections from all the folks who wigged out and went into panic mode driving up all the prices.

Obama didn't exactly take my guns away or the right to buy future ones, rather he made it twice as easy for me to buy premium gear on the super cheap once he was elected and all the scare gun owners sold off their horded gear and such.
These panic things are mad annoying. It's just like the stock market, one person starts yelling the end is near and next thing you know price gouging. Truth is more people than ever shoot now, more people CCW, there is just more demand, even in "liberal" states a lot of under 30 people aren't scared shitless of firearms. Maybe it's growing up during two wars, the popularity of online shooting games (Call of Duty is a billion dollar franchise) w/e. It's definitely not like the early 90's. On top of everything it's actually good for the economy.

If you want to come out of the closet now is the time. Making paranoid conspiracy theories and being "weirdo in a gunshop" is going to hurt more in the long run.

walter34payton2002
03-30-11, 17:58

Careful how you word this....Obama didn't do it from lack of trying and he DIDN'T HAVE THE VOTES. Everything he is doing now is going to be by trying through executive orders and anti-gun appointments. His appointment of BATFE chief is still pending (due to all the controversy it is at a standstill) but his apointee is vehemently anti-gun and will change interpretations of gun law. So, when you say he didn't take your guns, please don't insult our intelligence and pretend it can't happen or he didn't try.

The Cat
03-30-11, 17:59
, Hillary Clinton will soon sigh a UN Global Gun Ban Treaty which will be up to the Senate to ratify. Donate now, get memberships for the family, and add a buck where applicable when making an online purchase. Obama owes the left some gun ban legislation and make no mistake IT IS COMING friends.

Can you provide references for this?

walter34payton2002
03-30-11, 18:05
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=5224

Start with this. When I have time I can provide as much as I can. I am surprised you are unaware of this. Don't you remember when John Bolton was US rep to the UN and told them we have a Second Amendment? This administration openly supports it, but you won't hear too much about it.....

ZRH
03-30-11, 18:05
Can you provide references for this?

it's from a chain e-mail.

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/12/international-gun-ban-treaty/

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-30-11, 18:09
My barometer I use is the classifieds on The Hide and how long guns take to sell there. It doesn't seem like there has been an uptick in sales there, and in fact a lot of guns are taking awhile to sell. Not this is not exactly the best gauge for AR gear, but during the last Obama scare, guns moved quickly over there.

I don't doubt Grant, and I appreciate Grant's warning. Raw materials, especially metals are rising quickly, almost to 2007-8 levels and that is going to put pressure on prices on ammo.

I just find it hard to believe that people are in a buying frenzy with out any kind of outward sign or general acknowledgment of it. The only thing I can think of is that either manufacturers run very close to capacity and small spikes in demand can cause large changes in prices and availability. Or perhaps off shore entities are stocking up on small arms as people arm up either rebels or governments. Remember all the Bushmasters the Russians captured in Georgia?

twitch1706
03-30-11, 18:10
Stuff started drying up about a month ago, around the same time a bunch of people I know started receiving their tax returns. My guess is the market got flooded with people trying to "stick it to the man" by buying EBRs with "Uncle Sam's" money and thus the supply can't keep up with the demand.

A broken clock is right twice a day; my guess is it's way too early to jump to the conclusion that the 2012 elections are driving up demand.

ALCOAR
03-30-11, 18:17

If I had nickle for every time I get one of those chain email's I'd be rich.

It sucks to be a typical gun owner these days given you have both sides exploiting us.....one side you have a group trying to take them away....the other side you have a group using scare tactics and fear based on the other group's potential laws and bans in order to self prosper and price gouge.

Your absolutely right from above...this is irritating to the core.

davidjinks
03-30-11, 18:20
Grant,

If I buy from you tonight do I get a discount?

:D

ZRH
03-30-11, 18:20
Should have edited this into other post but eh:

There was a huge surge in retail sales in the last month (you can look it up, highest levels since 2007). A lot of steel/aluminum goods are heavy industry (my job is peripherally related). They shutdown plants/drop forges/rolling mills what have you around christmas for maintenance. Those two things are a good recipe for some shortages. Tools are getting a little bit of hit in availability right now too because places are running out of pre christmas stock and new stuff hasn't rolled in yet.

Computers are what is going to go insane in pricing. Japan is a huge producer of finished goods combined with manufacturing shortfalls in Korea last year it is not looking like a good time to upgrade your memory >.>

Abraxas
03-30-11, 18:21

Kind of a rock and a hard place for him. You want to help people out but if you do then you might feed into the trouble

Cincinnatus
03-30-11, 18:23
Of course your post by spreading this hype only serves to increase hysteria and your sales numbers.:nono::nono::nono:

If you had paid attention up above, Grant already has more sales than he can handle.

Moose-Knuckle
03-30-11, 18:25
Of course your post by spreading this hype only serves to increase hysteria and your sales numbers.:nono::nono::nono:

Acutally it's not just G & R Tactical. EVERYONE is selling out of things. There are multiple posts on this very forum about BCGs drying up.

If Grant was into making a quick buck he would have raised his prices before posting this thread.

In the tactical gear subforum there is a thread going on right now about the Sure Fire retail price increase. Some models of SF lights are doubling in price according to the new dealer 2011 catalog.

Iraqgunz
03-30-11, 18:30
Some people here appear to have a reading comprehesnion issue. I am not Grant and won't pretend to be his spokesman.

However, it is pretty clear what he said. He didn't say buy from me, because I need the money. He also didn't say there is going to be a shortage so buy from me.

What he said was that stuff is getting harder to get (surf the net a little and you will see that some of this is happening) and if you are in the market buying now if possible is better than later.

It's a fact that ammo prices are going up. Allegedly due to raw metal prices. I am pretty sure that a reasonably smart person can also assume this will apply to other parts of the industry.

The post was nothing more to make members aware of what is happening in case they didn't know and to allow them to prepare so as to not get SCREWED like many did when the last election came around.

Except now in addition to an upcoming election you also have the end of the world 2012 issue to deal with. Anyone here remember Y2K? I sure do and I can tell you first hand that guns and ammo were flying off the shelves the closer it got to the date.

ZRH
Except now in addition to an upcoming election you also have the end of the world 2012 issue to deal with. Anyone here remember Y2K? I sure do and I can tell you first hand that guns and ammo were flying off the shelves the closer it got to the date.
Do people really take that seriously? o.O I always thought they were joking.

The Cat

You've suffered a credibility fail.

If you'd read further, you'd see that the article goes on to explain that said email is essentially a bunch of unfeasible bullshit. I'd file that with the emails from the Nigerian price that just can't wait to give me tons of money.

ZRH
03-30-11, 18:34
You've suffered a credibility fail.

If you'd read further, you'd see that the article goes on to explain that said email is essentially a bunch of unfeasible bullshit. I'd file that with the emails from the Nigerian price that just can't wait to give me tons of money.
...That is what I was trying to say. o.O

Edit: Also most things don't have a yes or no answer. The object is to evaluate the information and decide yourself.

browneu
03-30-11, 18:38
I bought 14.5 middy from Grant today before reading the post. For some reason though BCM and Grant are out of BCGs so I have to wait until they are in stock to get one.

I wasn't active in the AR field during 2008 but I think that demand is going up for a couple of reasons.

Unrest in the Middle East, Egypt, Lybia, and other such areas has some people concerned about their own safety here.

Increased prices in oil and raw materials used to transport and make parts.

Political uncertainty pertaining to 2A and a president that may pander to his base.

The problem with being in a shortage is that you don't realize you're in one until you can't purchase something.

There isn't anything wrong with Grant's warning and the prepared will see the signs and stock up on essential parts and supplies.

Iraqgunz
03-30-11, 18:39
Do you remember the last election? I do and I also remember the largest gun store in Arizona being practically empty of any type of auto loading rifle.

Yes, there are people taking that 2012 stuff seriously especially with the recent events in the Middle East, Japan and our economic state.

walter34payton2002
03-30-11, 18:49
http://nranews.com/#/nranews/VideoModule/2082

Here is a video regarding UN and Mexico actually too. Not hype guys.

NigeriusBaldwin
03-30-11, 18:49
I appreciate the honest heads up Grant. I actually just put together my BCM upper and lower that I purchased off your site. Glad I jumped on that purchase when I did, seems everyone is running low on just about everything these days, if they're not already out of it. It's always better to have and not need, than to need and not have...

christcorp
03-30-11, 18:51
Ammo prices are definitely going up. I buy a lot of .223 ammo. Mostly steel case. I go through a lot of it. A few months back, I could easily buy 1000 rounds for about $179 (Including s/h). Now; the going price online for the same stuff is about $200-$220 without s/h added. I also invest a lot of money in metals. Gold, Silver, copper, etc... China's economy is growing and they have large orders for copper standing. Copper is used for everything. Cables, electrical wiring, electronics, etc... Everything you need for a country to grow/expand. Copper is one of the two basic metals used to make brass. Copper+Zinc=brass. Plus, copper is used to jacket or plate most bullets. So it is natural for the price off ammo to go up if copper is in much higher demand.

Now; does this mean there will be an ammo shortage? I don't believe so. Not unless the consumer does what they did during the Obama scare and go on a major buying binge. But the prices are definitely going to go up. I usually keep around 2000 rounds of plinking .223 ammo on hand. Not because I'm paranoid, but because I shoot usually around 500+ rounds a month. (I shoot a lot of other ammo too, so 500 may not be that much to some people). But 2000 rounds is enough for normally 3-4 months of shooting. I'm sure that there will be ammo around, just that the price is going to go up. Not as much on steel case ammo, because the only copper is in the bullet. But for those who shoot brass, it will go up more. Will I buy some more ammo in the next couple weeks. Not sure. I could scale back my shooting a little; like I did during the Obama scare. In which case, I could have my 2000 rounds last about a year. Hopefully enough time for the metals market to stabilize with production. I'll shoot more 22LR; as well as some more pistol.

As for gun parts and guns; I don't have an answer for that. Is it marketing, hype, or simply supply and demand normal shortage because so many people have been buying guns/ammo in the last 12 months since prices started coming down again. I think it's a combination of the three. I don't believe that we're going to be in a position where there won't be anymore of something and we'll never get it again. That is hype.

But if you wanted to get into buying an AR or buying parts to build one, now would be the cheaper time. If you want to buy an existing gun, I don't think that will be too difficult. But for those that like kits, it could get a little more difficult.

JDW67
03-30-11, 18:56
Not that I'm making an accusation, but keep your head about you when someone who sells a product says to "BUY NOW!!!!"

I heard the same thing when I was looking for a Toyota for my niece. "Buy now because of the natural disaster in Japan is going to drive up the price!!!!"

We ended up getting her a Chevy...:D

Grrrr
03-30-11, 19:00
Damn, grant will be getting more of my money soon. I got a lower from him 2 months ago and a battlecomp 2.0 from him this past friday. Just got another 1k of ammo for the ars 2 wks ago. Just got my gunsafe in today. 602lb pita to move hunk of steel. Anyhow, I'm thinking I need another lower that will hopefully be able to sit for a while.....just doesn't usually wk that way. Between my ar and 10mm addiction this is gettin out of hand. Oh yeah...just got in my sf x300 today also. Lnib from the ee for $185 delivered. Damn I've spent a lot lately.

SoDak
03-30-11, 19:30
I wonder if companies will send out special 2012 survival catalogs like they did for Y2K. That was a fun time for being a kid.

I've been thinking about picking up some extra magazines and 5.56. Sounds like I need to get on that.

jared91
03-30-11, 19:35
it really sucks to be a broke college student right now. im tryin to trade or sell one of my guns right now, are you saying that i should hold onto it?

JSantoro
03-30-11, 19:42

With the court's indulgence, the prosecution would like to present Exhibit A as evidence that there are people that take stupid crap way too seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI

And they smoke a lot of dope while doing it.

DOA
03-30-11, 19:58
I had already DROS's a receiver before reading this. Im good on parts, just ammo is where I need to stock up on next.

arizonaranchman
03-30-11, 20:14
Thanks for the heads-up Grant. I've always "prepared when the sun is shining" rather than wait til the scares come along and then everyone is trying to buy up stuff at the same time and premium prices or when you just can't get things at all.

Something is terribly wrong in this country and in the world scene in general. I believe we're headed for extremely dark and difficult times in the near future which will last for a number of years is my guess. So get all of it asap or you'll be out of luck.

Severe hyper-inflation is in our near future and the economy is not nearly recovered and will probably be in for another massive fall once the inflation takes off.

sacmaster
03-30-11, 20:15
What Obama will try to do in his second term remains to be seen and is certainly worth close monitoring, but I don't understand the 2012 hysteria. Either (A) nothing will happen and life will go on as usual, OR (B) the world will end, and no amount of ammo and bottled water will save you from whatever happens then. I'm counting on option A.

ALCOAR
03-30-11, 20:24
With the court's indulgence, the prosecution would like to present Exhibit A as evidence that there are people that take stupid crap way too seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI

And they smoke a lot of dope while doing it.

Oh I love that video...I forgot all about that, My stomach is hurting all over again:D

eta...that's a double complete rainbow:)

Quentin
03-30-11, 20:28
I also appreciate the heads up from Grant, I know it was done with honest intentions. And I find it interesting that many of those criticizing him and saying this is for personal gain are newbs. Also I know one of the survival forums I glance at lately has been ragging on M4C so wouldn't doubt a few have come over here to rattle their Bushamster sabres.

Anyway, like others I've been noticing shortages but kept telling myself it was due to extra cash from tax returns, etc. But it's looking to be more than that now that I'm seeing ammo shortages, at least in the popular calibers.

Something's going on all right. How bad and how long it lasts, who knows. I'm ok as far as firearms and magazines, but ammo, you just can't have enough.

djegators
03-30-11, 20:51
I don't doubt Grant one bit. I spend a lot of time browsing various dealer/supplier websites, and there is most certainly a shortage already. Also, when I attended the last big show here in Tampa, I was amazed by the crowd. It may have been bigger than any of the post election ones. There was one difference though, the dealers were making deals. None of the silly high prices and unwillingness to budge the guys were selling everything they could as fast as they could. One guy I know, who mostly does ammo, brought about 20% more than normal expecting a huge crowd, and he sold out early on Sunday. Another small dealer said he sold over 60 guns. As for me, I won't be buying much, I spent a small fortune in '09 and '10...but I will add what I think I might need when I can.

Luck to all.

Alex V
03-30-11, 21:15
I hate to buy into the hype... but I think you may be right... been looking around around for parts for my GF's LW carbine... can find most everything, but definitely l can see parts not as readily available as a year ago when I was building my SPR.

Oddly enough its the same parts that were not readily available when I was building the last one... barrels and other barrel associated parts...

C4IGrant
03-30-11, 21:27

That may work and it may not. If Obama gets re-elected, you can plan on panic buying to go out of control.

C4

nowayout
03-30-11, 21:37
Honestly if you look at Grants site he's pretty much out of most of the "goods" so he really wont benefit much from saying this.

If you look around on other sites you'll also have a hard time finding extra AR parts.

I'm hoping to go back to work next week and if I do I'm buying a new upper for a lower thats lonely along with some extra ammo.

Ammo prices are good right now and dont see them staying there for much longer.

royal
03-30-11, 21:38
First post here, long time lurker...

I've read enough to know that Grant's not pulling anyone's chain here. The guy gets a ton of business on reputation alone. I just purchased my first AR (BCM), and in the process of researching and calling different vendors I could not believe how scarce quality parts were becoming. I started in January and I slowly watched lead times creep up around the industry from 1-2 weeks to 3-6 weeks to 8-12 weeks for certain items.

Forget 2012 for a moment, just watch the evening news! Glad I stocked up when I did.

C4IGrant
03-30-11, 21:42
If I had nickle for every time I get one of those chain email's I'd be rich.

the other side you have a group using scare tactics and fear based on the other group's potential laws and bans in order to self prosper and price gouge.

Your absolutely right from above...this is irritating to the core.

Sorry, missed who is doing this. As for me, I simply listed the facts. In case you missed them:

1. Ammo manufacturers are raising prices.
2. There are ammo shortages now.
3. We cannot get some common parts.
4. Gun companies are running at MAX capacity RIGHT NOW.
5. Gun accessory companies (Aimpoint, Magpul, etc) are out of things and cannot keep up.

The above list is ONLY going to get worse as we get closer to 2012. To top it off, SOME people actually believe the end of the world happens as well.

From a political standpoint, if the Republicans do not put up a strong candidate, panic buying will become worse than it already will be. If Obama is re-elected, you can GURANTEE that some kind of mag or gun ban will be attempted. It is no secret that Obama is anti-gun and without having to worry about being re-elected, he will push his agenda.

C4

aflin
03-30-11, 21:43
Grant, I hope you're wrong about this :D

That being said, there's no way Obama is going to get re-elected. It has been an disappointing administration to say the least. Nonetheless, if there is a financial collapse (very likely). At least I have ammo to trade :D

C4IGrant
03-30-11, 21:47

Don't confuse telling the TRUTH with "hype."

I wish that I had the power to drive markets, but do not.

By all means, ignore what I am saying. Wait till the middle of 2012 to buy the gun, part, mag or ammo you want.

C4

glocktogo
03-30-11, 21:49
I'm wanting two lightweight 14.5" barrels for builds right now and everyone seems to be out. :(

Belmont31R
03-30-11, 21:50
Yup. We've been even busier during the last few months than we were during the post-Election frenzy. We apologize for any delays, and if you have a critical issue you'll be able to reach us faster by calling in direct M-F 9-5 Mountain.

Justin Beard of Magpul 25MAR11

I asked about this today and was told our emails have dramatically increased over the last few months.

We are planning to hire some more people in Customer Service to address this.

'Magpul' 25MAR11

Iraqgunz
03-30-11, 21:50
Grant,

Please stop spreading this nonsense. We all know it's a marketing ploy by you to increase your sales. :rolleyes:

Had to make sure that I included my "sarcastic" smiley so I don't get attacked again by people with a sensitive side.

Sorry, missed who is doing this. As for me, I simply listed the facts. In case you missed them:

5. Gun accessory companies (Aimpoint, Magpul, etc) are out of things and cannot keep up.

The above list is ONLY going to get worse as we get closer to 2012. To top it off, SOME people actually believe the end of the world happens as well.

From a political standpoint, if the Republicans do not put up a strong candidate, panic buying will become worse than it already will be. If Obama is re-elected, you can GURANTEE that some kind of mag or gun ban will be attempted. It is no secret that Obama is anti-gun and without having to worry about being re-elected, he will push his agenda.

C4

C4IGrant
03-30-11, 21:52
Some people here appear to have a reading comprehesnion issue. I am not Grant and won't pretend to be his spokesman.

However, it is pretty clear what he said. He didn't say buy from me, because I need the money. He also didn't say there is going to be a shortage so buy from me.

What he said was that stuff is getting harder to get (surf the net a little and you will see that some of this is happening) and if you are in the market buying now if possible is better than later.

It's a fact that ammo prices are going up. Allegedly due to raw metal prices. I am pretty sure that a reasonably smart person can also assume this will apply to other parts of the industry.

The post was nothing more to make members aware of what is happening in case they didn't know and to allow them to prepare so as to not get SCREWED like many did when the last election came around.

Right.

I have two sayings I try and follow. No good deed goes unpunished and I can't fix stupid.

I thought I was doing my fellow shooters a favor by making them aware of what is going on in the firearms industry (since I actually work in it). I guess I was wrong.

C4

C4IGrant
03-30-11, 21:57
Not that I'm making an accusation, but keep your head about you when someone who sells a product says to "BUY NOW!!!!"

I guess you are correct except that I am not wired that way. I can't keep up with the sales I have and told people to buy from their favorite dealer.

C4

flanntastic
03-30-11, 22:03
Grants right, we sold 100 uppers this week, and stupid amounts of everything else. summer should slow it down though, but it will be to late with federal taking a price increase May 1st

C4IGrant
03-30-11, 22:10
I also appreciate the heads up from Grant, I know it was done with honest intentions. And I find it interesting that many of those criticizing him and saying this is for personal gain are newbs. Also I know one of the survival forums I glance at lately has been ragging on M4C so wouldn't doubt a few have come over here to rattle their Bushamster sabres.

Anyway, like others I've been noticing shortages but kept telling myself it was due to extra cash from tax returns, etc. But it's looking to be more than that now that I'm seeing ammo shortages, at least in the popular calibers.

Something's going on all right. How bad and how long it lasts, who knows. I'm ok as far as firearms and magazines, but ammo, you just can't have enough.

Thanks. The senior members and my core customer base know me well enough to know that I wouldn't pull a stupid sales/marketing stunt. In fact we have a discount code for the members of M4C members that makes items EVEN cheaper. So if I was attempting to screw people, I would have raised my prices, then made a much more "the sky is falling" thread and then included links to hard to find items.

As someone pointed out, things WILL return to normal (assuming there is no ban). This might not be till 2014 (who knows). One thing is certain. Manufacturers raise prices EVERY YEAR. They raise prices even more if there are shortages and panic buying. So at the very least, I know EVERYTHING will be cheaper in 2011 than in 2012 by at least 3%.

C4

C4IGrant
03-30-11, 22:12
Grant, I hope you're wrong about this :D

That being said, there's no way Obama is going to get re-elected. It has been an disappointing administration to say the least. Nonetheless, if there is a financial collapse (very likely). At least I have ammo to trade :D

I hope you are right and Obama does NOT get re-elected. I would be thrilled to have to sell my inventory off at cost In order to pay my bills! ;)

C4

C4IGrant
03-30-11, 22:15
Grants right, we sold 100 uppers this week, and stupid amounts of everything else. summer should slow it down though, but it will be to late with federal taking a price increase May 1st

Summer will tell us now bad it is going to be. If things slow down then we will know that it was just a short run before 2012.

C4

flanntastic
03-30-11, 22:17
i will trade a slow few years for no Obama

zacbol
03-30-11, 22:18
Thanks. The senior members and my core customer base know me well enough to know that I wouldn't pull a stupid sales/marketing stunt. In fact we have a discount code for the members of M4C members that makes items EVEN cheaper.

Que? What is the discount code of which you speak?

C4IGrant
03-30-11, 22:20
i will trade a slow few years for no Obama

Right on! In fact I would be willing to pick up a part time job in order to make ends meet!

C4

C4IGrant
03-30-11, 22:21

You don't have it? You must be the only one. :D

C4

brushy bill
03-30-11, 22:23
Tried to purchase few cases of ammo from OMB Express...virtually EVERYTHING is out of stock.

CoryCop25
03-30-11, 22:47
I work part time at a gun shop and I order a lot of items for the shop. I spoke to Mega Machine Shop this week and they told me that just about everything I ordered last week is about 4 weeks behind. I can't get Glocks to save my life either!
This being said, I am not Grant and I can back up what he is telling you 100%!

ALCOAR
03-30-11, 22:50

C4

If I had been calling you out directly than I would have addressed it that way...if you note in the reply you quoted me on, my opening sentence was as follows...

"If I had nickle for every time I get one of those chain email's I'd be rich...."

Do you send out chain email's, if so I have never received one and thereby I was not addressing you as one of the members of the groups that tries to exploit gun owners using fear tactics based off of potential laws and bans from the other group.

cegha
03-30-11, 22:58
While I may not buy like crap, I do browse online stores like white on rice. Grant is right that stuff is selling out & lead times are on items being back in stock are getting longer & LONGER & LONGER.

My main concern is ammo. Must stock up soon. Might need to invest in some reloading equipment, in the next month or so.

ZRH
03-30-11, 23:05
My main concern is ammo. Must stock up soon. Might need to invest in some reloading equipment, in the next month or so.
The price of brass has been high since january. There was also a 20% price increase in the price of nails, seriously.

Don't plan on plumbing with copper in the future, it's all gonna be plastic.

03-30-11, 23:13
The price of brass has been high since january. There was also a 20% price increase in the price of nails, seriously.

Don't plan on plumbing with copper in the future, it's all gonna be plastic.
All the plumbing codes around here have been changed due to crackheads stealing copper piping... That said, I hope grant is wrong and prices aren't going through the roof an there won't be a shortage on ammo and parts. I've only got about 2k rounds on hand, and that's not enough to last me a year...

Jellybean
03-30-11, 23:15
I can't get Glocks to save my life either!.....

PLEASE for the love of God BUY MINE!!! :shout:

I thought I was doing my fellow shooters a favor by making them aware of what is going on in the firearms industry (since I actually work in it). I guess I was wrong.
C4
And believe me, it is appreciated.
It seems those who know are doing. Unfortunately, for some of us, aside from rubbing an old lamp we found in the basement and wishing real hard, there is just no possible way to prepare for something like this. For once I'd like to just sit back and watch the show.... :mad:

opmike
03-30-11, 23:18
So, for someone planning on doing some trading with local businesses, would it be better to do it now?

Irish
03-30-11, 23:22
One thing is certain. Manufacturers raise prices EVERY YEAR. They raise prices even more if there are shortages and panic buying. So at the very least, I know EVERYTHING will be cheaper in 2011 than in 2012 by at least 3%.

Not to mention your federal reserve notes are worth less every year. ;)

CoryCop25
03-30-11, 23:24

Boy, you ain't kidding!

9DivDoc
03-30-11, 23:34
I've known Grant for a few years now....he's good people..

Thanks for the 411 G-man appreciate it!

ZRH
03-30-11, 23:39
What is 'worth' really except the value people place on something -.-

It's all about perception.

mkmckinley
03-30-11, 23:40
I'm pretty disappointed in some of the members here. I guess no good deed goes unpunished. Anyway thanks for the heads up Grant.

Irish
03-30-11, 23:42
What is 'worth' really except the value people place on something -.-

It's all about perception.

Perception my ass :D It's called inflation. http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

EDIT: I'm guilty too but let's start another thread if we're going to be discussing economics... Best, Irish~

GunnutAF
03-30-11, 23:42
Let the prices go up -I'm sitting pretty- Plenty of bullets , plenty of ammo! Enough powder to reload a few thousand more rounds, soon to have enough lead to cast more bullets then I'll ever need! More guns then I need! I'll sit back and watch this one and laugh!:D

ChuckTait
03-30-11, 23:43

Right on! In fact I would be willing to pick up a part time job in order to make ends meet!

C4

You mean to tell me that I could have been getting deep, deep discount on countless orders I've made in the past? Now I'm depressed :suicide:

m1a_scoutguy
03-30-11, 23:46
Well,,bottom line,,lots of decent info,,,Thanks Grant for just seeing the writing on the wall and giving us a heads up !!! As far as "Guns" go,,,I'm set & thanks to this Fourm,,ALL my ARs are Quality rifles !!! I have LOTS of little parts & pieces,,no extra bolts or carriers,,,but I'll look around & if I find one at a fair/normal price,,I'll get it,,if not,,no big deal !!! If it was that bad & both ARs went down,,I have "Other" Battle Rifles to get me through,,,time will tell I guess !!!! As far as Ammo,,I know there is No Such thing as to much,,but between reloading stuff and Factory/Surplus,,,I can continue to shoot like I do with no big deal through the Summer and beyond!!! Even in hard times there are "deal" to be found,,,right place,,right time !!!!! As far as guns/pistols,,,I have a NIB Springfield Loaded 1911 on Layaway right now,,,,:D:D:D:D Soooooo,with all that said guys,,take the info and do with it what you will,,,keep a cool head & your eyes peeled & buy ONLY what ya need & don't "freak out",,we can deal with it and get though it without to much fan fair !! ;);)

punkkin
03-30-11, 23:54
Either way, I'm glad I'm good with ammo, rifles and pistols. I'll stock up again after the next scare.

OldState
03-31-11, 00:09
If people are panicking because of the political landscape lets consider the current state of things:

Republicans control the House. The democrats barely control the Senate.

The Supreme Court ruled that the States are bound to the 2nd Amendment via the 14th. The SC is still 5-4 conservative.

Even if Chairman Moabama gets reelected, the Republicans could gain control of both houses in 2012. Plus, if the economy doesn't turn around soon and the Middle East is a mess, he will have a very tough reelection.

Also, Obama has a lot bigger fishes to fry right now.

Many Democrats (except for the far left) have also conceded that gun control is a political loser (Clinton blamed the NRA for both of Bush's victories)

The proposed "High Cap Magazine Ban" doesn't have enough Democratic support and virtually no Rep support.
So...
I am always concerned about new gun control legislation and follow politics quite closely....but IMHO I don't really see legitimate political threat in the near future.

But still, perception is reality I guess...which sucks.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-31-11, 00:29
I dont see any reason to panic. Remain ever vigilant of course, but no reason to fret. The only thing I see flying off the shelf is quality FA BCG's.

Moose-Knuckle
03-31-11, 00:49
You mean to tell me that I could have been getting deep, deep discount on countless orders I've made in the past? Now I'm depressed :suicide:

I don't know how deep a discount it is but I feel your pain. G&R recently got complete DD lowers in and I pulled the trigger on one today as I haven't been able to find them anywhere for a while now. . .without the coupon code. Oh well now I know for my next order.

As some have mentioned recent events in the Middle East, Japan, Mexico, politics, economy, price of oil, price of metals, the end of the Mayan long count calender 21December2012, stupid ass sheeple, etc have all contributed to the current frenzy. Good on Grant for giving M4C a heads up to what's going on in the industry.

motorwerks
03-31-11, 01:15
Grant,

Please stop spreading this nonsense. We all know it's a marketing ploy by you to increase your sales. :rolleyes:

Had to make sure that I included my "sarcastic" smiley so I don't get attacked again by people with a sensitive side.

There maybe something to be said for this hype... the planets and stars must have shifted or something because I 100% agree with you on everything you've said in this thread. :D

sevin8nin
03-31-11, 02:25
All I see is a market on the rebound. People coming in are looking to buy the guns they want, not necessarily the guns they "need." Ammo is still available, firearms manufacturers are behind the curve and trying to keep up with the demand on their new model lines.
A democrat just proposed a bill to legalize the use of suppressors in WA and it passed with nothing but unanimous support.
I'm not seeing the "panic" unless we make it, just like when Obama was elected.

Rider79
03-31-11, 04:26
BCM keeps running out of bolt groups for no logical reason.

That's only because you're buying them all up and losing them in freak boating accidents like you did during the last panic! :eek:

dway
03-31-11, 06:17
I wonder if part of the shortage is because everyone is getting their tax refunds back and they have a little extra cash in their pocket so they are stocking up, or getting the gun they always wanted just in case there is a ban in the future? It may slow down after tax season is over with and the majority of Americans are broke once again.

idreamt...
03-31-11, 07:26
I wonder if part of the shortage is because everyone is getting their tax refunds back and they have a little extra cash in their pocket so they are stocking up, or getting the gun they always wanted just in case there is a ban in the future? It may slow down after tax season is over with and the majority of Americans are broke once again.

This is logic I can agree with.

markm
03-31-11, 07:59
That's only because you're buying them all up and losing them in freak boating accidents like you did during the last panic! :eek:

That's true... I keep hitting them with my lawn mower since I buried so many of them in my yard!

I'm working with SPIKES to design a gun that feeds a new BCG every round. That way you never have to worry about a spare BCG again!! YEAH!

C4IGrant
03-31-11, 08:28

Right you are! I have a local customer that buys and sells Gold and Silver a lot. When he makes a profit, he comes in and buys guns, ammo and gear.

Leaving ones profits in paper money is not the best idea.

C4

scanda
03-31-11, 08:30
I guess I picked a helluva time to get my roof re-shingled...:mad:

C4IGrant
03-31-11, 08:32

Every year, we see a spike in sales during early Spring. Nothing like what is going on right now.

C4

C4IGrant
03-31-11, 08:37
During the Clinton ban, many FFL Dealers and non-FFL Dealers hoarded lowers and magazines (stacked to the roof). Then, over the 10yrs, they slowly released them for HUGE profits.

Let's just say that there were MANY millionaires created from the Clinton ban.

While we are not facing a ban, I guarantee that we will see certain stripped lowers command $300 and PMAGS/Lancer AWM's will command upwards of $30-50 dollars (per mag) in the up coming year. ;)

C4

Coogan
03-31-11, 08:41
We are seeing sales on par with 2009. Grant is not BSing at all....

C4IGrant
03-31-11, 08:43
I'm pretty disappointed in some of the members here. I guess no good deed goes unpunished. Anyway thanks for the heads up Grant.

Agree. Since we have seen so many people come into this thread and back up what I am saying, I wonder if they will man up and apologize for their comments/attititude?

C4

bo-hoss
03-31-11, 08:49
One of the major Mil-Spec Bolt Carrier manufacturers has closed up shop and went out of business in the last several weeks. This will only add to the B/C supply issues.

Trajan
03-31-11, 08:52
During the Clinton ban, many FFL Dealers and non-FFL Dealers hoarded lowers and magazines (stacked to the roof). Then, over the 10yrs, they slowly released them for HUGE profits.

Let's just say that there were MANY millionaires created from the Clinton ban.

While we are not facing a ban, I guarantee that we will see certain stripped lowers command $300 and PMAGS/Lancer AWM's will command upwards of $30-50 dollars (per mag) in the up coming year. ;)

C4
And why is that? With the Republicans in control of the house, nothing will get passed. This isn't scary like in 08 when the Dems controlled everything.

If it does get bad though, my AR will live in the closet.

ReaperAZ
03-31-11, 08:54
I thank you Grant for posting this thread. It has "opened" my eyes to the situation. Looks like I need to get on it with ordering that lower from you sooner then I had planned. I need to find someone to do a transfer ASAP......

ffhounddog
03-31-11, 08:59
Tax Refund? What is that. I have to pay uncle $3K because the ex wife changed my deductions before I knew she was going to be the ex-wife. I just check my back acct to make sure I have cash to pay bills then the tax man came.

Also with the full time gig being with the Fed Goverment my travel money will not show up for a long while.

An Undocumented Worker
03-31-11, 09:08
One of the major Mil-Spec Bolt Carrier manufacturers has closed up shop and went out of business in the last several weeks. This will only add to the B/C supply issues.

And who was that, and why did it happen?

The Cat
03-31-11, 09:10

Sabre, maybe?

djegators
03-31-11, 09:13

This is true...but this happens every year, so why the difference? For a lot of us, we actually got a worse situation this year than last. For me, Obama's phony tax cut, which was really a reduction in withholdings, made a big difference on my return.

markm
03-31-11, 09:14
If you guys don't have at least 10 BCGs already inbound... WITH TRACKING NUMBERS... You are SCREWED!!!

500grains
03-31-11, 09:18
Isn't BCM totally slammed with orders right now too?

And Noveske seems to have put the N6 on the sideline while they attempt to fill N4 orders.

I got some good prices on HK recently, but that may have been dumb luck.

500grains
03-31-11, 09:19

Sabre Defence was shut down due to gun smuggling criminal charges - shipping out boxes with false bottoms and extra "stuff" inside.

dway
03-31-11, 09:32

BravoCompany is currently showing them IN STOCK!! I just got my order in for another one and a few more P-Mags too.

C4IGrant
03-31-11, 09:44
And why is that? With the Republicans in control of the house, nothing will get passed. This isn't scary like in 08 when the Dems controlled everything.

If it does get bad though, my AR will live in the closet.

Two words for you: Executive Order.

C4

C4IGrant
03-31-11, 09:45
If you guys don't have at least 10 BCGs already inbound... WITH TRACKING NUMBERS... You are SCREWED!!!

You kill me. :jester:

C4

C4IGrant
03-31-11, 09:46

And Noveske seems to have put the N6 on the sideline while they attempt to fill N4 orders.

Totally slammed.

C4

djegators
03-31-11, 09:48

C4

And not just that, but even those who call themselves conservatives can be persuaded to "compromise" on "reasonable" legislation. Wouldn't take many GOPers who are weak on 2A to compromise for some other favor and we get some "reasonable" gun control like mag capacity limits. Obamacare would have never passed if a few RINOs along the way had not made it possible.

Doc Safari
03-31-11, 09:53

C4

This.

The few media reports I was able to read tended to hint that the current administration is going to focus on improving the NICS checks with mental health records and the like, but keep in mind that this administration is also continuing to implement the Health Care law even after a federal judge declared the whole thing unconstitutional.

That should be the red flag that this bunch intends to impose its will whether the laws are there to back them up or not.

SteadyUp
03-31-11, 10:04
Well, whether this is a real rush or not remains to be seen, but people are buying guns like nobody's business. I've seen a definite increase in purchases, but I don't think there is a "rush" just yet.

Every time I've visited the local gun shops, they've been full of people making purchases. I just purchased a complete lower DD receiver from Grant; I figure I might as well get it while I can.

ASH556
03-31-11, 10:18
So has Spikes announced their price increase yet?:secret:

mtdawg169
03-31-11, 10:29
Just when I convinced my self that 30+ Pmags and 4000+ rounds of ammo was "enough"! Must. Fight. Urge. To. Hoard!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bjw182005
03-31-11, 10:47
I was just able to get in on the batch of BCM F/A BCG's. Hopefully some of their uppers will be back in stock sometime soon.

outrider627
03-31-11, 10:51
This isn't good for me. Not much I can buy right now, since I left my shitty part time job to finish my last semester in college. I'd rather not go back into fast food once I get my degree, even if its temporary.

glocktogo
03-31-11, 10:55

They just got the 14.5" Middy LW uppers in stock, so I ordered two. :)

Just_Plain_T.
03-31-11, 11:06
Got to be honest, but so far I haven't seen any rising prices or inventory shortages. But that could be because I have an AR (well, two, one rifle and one pistol), aside from my AKs, and haven't been looking hard at rifles.

The only issue I saw was a momentary blip in handgun magazines in response to the Tucson shooting. I saw no change in rifle magazines, and while I haven't checked, I wouldn't be surprised if handgun magazines have started to normalize as well.

The only thing I've found problematic is ammunition, which in the case of 5.56/.223 has been high since before the 08 election.

Maybe I'm just that lucky?

Stickman
03-31-11, 11:08
LOL, good try, but no. Believe me when I say, that I don't need any more business (am swamped with orders).

I am trying to help my fellow shooters out because MANY of you did not get into the whole "AR thing" till recently and fail to realize that it is happening again and you will be sending me e-mails whining about the fact that you can find the GUN/AMMO/Part you want. ;)

Oh and welcome to the forum (nice first post).

C4

What post are you quoting, was it deleted, or am I missing just missing portions of the thread....? I've been having board problems lately with slow loads and portions not loading.

Iraqgunz
03-31-11, 11:13
You know it simply amazes me that Grant makes a statement based upon trends that he is seeing. Others are seeing it as well and most of us are experiencing it in our daily lives (gas, food, etc..) and yet some people still want to essentially call him out.

So here's the deal. If you think he is full of shit, stay out of the thread and allow those that want to discuss to do so.

Also, don't come back here later crying if or when you can't get what you need down the road.

Heidevolk
03-31-11, 11:18
As others have suggested, this may not be "gun scare" buying as much as inflation.

Remember those trillions of dollars handed out? That is inflation. Now everyone's money is worth less. Now everything costs more. It's going to cost way more to make ammo/gun parts.

Nevertheless, good time to buy before prices skyrocket. They will rise, you can hold me to that statement.

Iraqgunz
03-31-11, 11:20
He was quoting post #9 in post #12. I deleted it because it struck me as a troll move by a member with a total of 1 post(s).

What post are you quoting, was it deleted, or am I missing just missing portions of the thread....? I've been having board problems lately with slow loads and portions not loading.

Stickman
03-31-11, 11:39
There is no question that manufacturers and most established dealers are seeing a massive rush, and without exception, every one in the industry I've talked to is seeing levels equal to or exceeding the pre-obama push.

The second part of this picture is that there is the unanswered question hanging over everyones head, and that is how long it is going to last, and why.

Stickman
03-31-11, 11:47
He was quoting post #9 in post #12. I delelted it because it struck me as a troll move by a member with a total of 1 post(s).

Thanks.

Grant is an established dealer and has obvious ties to the board, as well inside contacts in the industry. In my mind it would make more sense to explain this, especially when what Grant wrote is so very obviously true to anyone who is knowledgeable with the state of the firearm industry right now. However, no one likes to see a troll running rampant, so I can understand that as well.

ucrt
03-31-11, 12:26
You know it simply amazes me that Grant makes a statement based upon trends that he is seeing. Others are seeing it as well and most of us are experiencing it in our daily lives (gas, food, etc..).....

==========================================

The economy is pretty crummy right now. Everything has gone up. But the media sure isn't reporting how bad it really is. I've got guys that hate overtime yet right now, they are asking for all the OT they can get.

We have Reagan to blame for this....if he hadn't got into office, we'd have gotten used to the 20% inflation a long time ago... ;)

Thanks for the info Grant. Wish I had more money but...

Serpico1985
03-31-11, 12:28
Thanks for bringing it to everyones attention Grant. In feb 2010 a buddy and I took a Viking tactics class and 1k of xm193 was roughly $400 at a local shop. Right now it' $300 or under. I picked up 1k a couple weeks ago and just bit the bullet and picked up another 1k last night.

Thanks for the heads up. I would have been pretty upset if I needed ammo later this summer or next year and it was $400+

Besides, does anyone think ammo is going to be any cheaper than it is right now in the next year or so?

markm
03-31-11, 12:30
But the media sure isn't reporting how bad it really is.

The media sees Nothing bad under Ali Bama's rule. :)

Lawmaker
03-31-11, 12:33
I cant wait till either a Obama finishes his second term or a Republican wins. There will be so much cheap gear on the 2nd hand market. That is if the teotwawki doesnt happen.

vicious_cb
03-31-11, 13:21
Perhaps its the price of oil affecting prices. Increases in transportation costs for, well everything is driving prices up.

markm
03-31-11, 14:20
Perhaps its the price of oil affecting prices. Increases in transportation costs for, well everything is driving prices up.

That's a sliver of it.. But all commodities are high.... higher than the additional transportation costs would justify.

Why do you think Gold, Cotton, Cattle, Copper, etc. are all really high? Investors aren't thrilled with traditional stock market investments and are flocking to commodity derrivatives.

Zhurdan
03-31-11, 14:22
I could care less... I'm going to use it as an excuse to get my wife to let me order a few "essentials". :D

markm
03-31-11, 14:23
I could care less... I'm going to use it as an excuse to get my wife to let me order a few "essentials". :D

I used that trick when Hussein got elected... Not sure if the old lady will let me rob the same train twice though... :p

The Cat
03-31-11, 14:24
My wife will probably use this as an excuse to get me to build HER a carbine :)

djegators
03-31-11, 15:02
There are soooooo many reasons to feel uneasy right now. Any of them on their own might be cause for concern, but the overall picture, and combination of issues, along with 24 hr news and instant info via the internet make it very easy to be uneasy...

* We have a tough political climate with hard left POTUS and weak, moderate GOP.
* We have union protests in several states.
* We have lots of calls for gun control, a treasonous ATF, and an administration just itching to take our arms.
* We have the upheaval in the mideast.
* We have rising prices of food, gas, and other necessities.
* We have the Japan situation, and the impact of that is yet to be determined between radiation, tech supplies, auto supplies, and another economic drain.
* We still have several European nations facing economic ruin
* We still have our own economic concerns...some good signs, but just as many bad.

All of this is making people rethink their positions and are considering what it would be like to have to fend for themselves. And their others who are trying to stay ahead of the curve with the last buying frenzy fresh in their minds. I have no clue what the future holds, but I am betting it will be a bumpy ride.

chadbag
03-31-11, 15:02
I wish some people would slam me.

I have noticed lead times on some stuff going up.

TweakFTW
03-31-11, 15:16
I thought I noticed this stopping into various places. I wish I had cash to build my damn AR right now. Hopefully I can free some cash and start buying parts ASAP.

Thanks for the heads up Grant!

broseidon615
03-31-11, 15:25
argh...I remember trying to build my AR after the 08 elections and how much of a bitch it was...everything was out of stock, gunstores looked like they were looted:(

Just_Plain_T.
03-31-11, 15:29
There are soooooo many reasons to feel uneasy right now. Any of them on their own might be cause for concern, but the overall picture, and combination of issues, along with 24 hr news and instant info via the internet make it very easy to be uneasy...

Oh, believe me, there's a lot of unease. I can see the world ready to rip itself apart or something. The only one I'm not terribly worried about in that list is Europe, and even then Japan is a case of worrying about other economic impacts (the people worrying about radiation from it, that live in the CONUS, are in my opinion worrying about nothing. Obviously someone much closer to it has some cause for concern).

I just haven't seen a specific, noticeable rush for guns and ammunition quite like other times. I will, however, take the industry's word for it and count my blessings I've so far been able to avoid it. And maybe see if I can squeak out enough cash for one more rifle anyway.

SilentReaper66
03-31-11, 15:36

C4

Yeah but if he wants to get re elected that wouldn't be the smartest moved to make ... oh wait a minute ... ObamaCare ... never mind!:shout:

markm
03-31-11, 15:41
Yeah but if he wants to get re elected that wouldn't be the smartest moved to make ... oh wait a minute ... ObamaCare ... never mind!:shout:

If this scum bag were to pull of a second term, he'd have nothing to lose.

motoduck
03-31-11, 15:42
The local shops I frequent are seeing the same trends in increased sales and gun/parts scarcity. The great panic of 2012 has began!

TweakFTW
03-31-11, 15:43

Ah this is just beauty to my eyes. I work with a bunch of libs and hearing them talk about how great Obama is and how gun control should be stricter makes me want to throw up. Amen to this!

SilentReaper66
03-31-11, 15:47

Lets hope this never happens ... it will be a sad day for the U.S.A.!

djegators
03-31-11, 17:08

He has a lot working in his favor: $1B war chest, hundreds of thousands of feet on the street in the unions and community organizations, and in all likelihood another dud of a Republican to run against.

Iraqgunz
03-31-11, 18:04
Let's not steer this into an Obama thread.

markm
03-31-11, 18:27
The local shops I frequent are seeing the same trends in increased sales and gun/parts scarcity. The great panic of 2012 has began!

Ah Geez. Next will be massive Primer shortages and price hikes! :rolleyes:

YVK
03-31-11, 20:57
I've committed to a number of training classes for this year and, due to that, have bought a lot of ammo over last month-two. My two most recent orders were placed yesterday, for .223 and 45. So far I've been able to buy it at prices that I've seen throughout last year.

As far as hardware, local stores appear to have a pretty good selection of complete weapons. Don't know how deep their inventories are and what's the story with parts and components.

Not arguing with what Grant and Stickman are saying, I have my doubts that en masse rush is going to happen in 2011. First, it is too far from elections. Second, folks struggle with buying necessities of daily living after 3 years of recession. In 2008 there was more disposable income, I'd think.

tbaytusmc
03-31-11, 21:54

That said... I agree with G dogg. BCM keeps running out of bolt groups for no logical reason.

I'm already in my bunker with my Kevlar on tight... so I don't give a shit one way or the other!!

I've definitely had a problem with that. I've been waiting to buy BCMs BCG for ages it seems, and finally today when I checked they were in stock. It was getting pretty damn frustrating there for a minute.

I've been on deployment for the past 7 months, so I haven't really been able to see this situation in local gunshops. It seems like the area around my station is hit pretty hard when it comes to 9mm, .223, .45, and even .22... I'm curious to see what the shelves look like when I get back.

Beat Trash
03-31-11, 22:13
Grant, I appreciate what you are trying to do by telling people of the trend you are seeing within the industry. You're maintaining the "moral high ground" in doing so. Even if you're comments only help a couple of people, it was worth it.

For those who have slammed him for doing so, well... just keep your head in the sand and your fingers crossed.

The only reason I went anywhere near a gun store during the Obama election timeframe is to witness the panic first hand. It was so bad, that if I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it. People who didn't know the forward assist from a safety, almost in tears, and ready to fight over the last Bushmaster selling for the mere sum of $ 1,900.

If you didn't learn anything from that incident, well I don't know what to say. For the last several months, prices on AR's and magazines have been low, and availability has been good. If you have a need or a want, now is the time to fill it.

alpha.kilo
03-31-11, 22:26
Without a doubt, there seems to be more demand than supply lately on ar15 type carbines and components. Grant is right on the money. And it didn't just start in the last week. I noticed this change beginning to build six or more weeks ago. Maybe longer. Definitely a change since the Tucson shooting.

I haven't seen pricing head north yet, and it is nothing compared to 2008. But there is definitely something afoot.

Look at the BCM and Noveske websites. Look at all of the "out of stock" notations on the popular items. Last Xmas you could buy nearly anything you wanted immediately. Everything seemed to be in stock. Now if BCM goes in stock on their BCG, you better jump quick.

I say this because I believe that there will be a push for more gun legislation this year. Charles Schumer from NY has been in the paper lately on the issues of "assault weapons," high cap magazines and gun shows, and how evil they are. Last night the national media trotted out Jim and Sara Brady on the 30th anniversary of his tragic shooting. The message was clear. Guns are bad and gun control is good.

I think the group on this forum are more astute than the general population on current events. But it pays to be vigilant. I think the supply outstripping demand that I see reflect the uneasiness in the political climate.

My .02.

Rider79
03-31-11, 22:48

Already received and buried in the yard!

VLODPG
03-31-11, 22:50
I stop into my local shop weekly & they have 20-30 black rifles in the racks at any time.

Today there were a least 6 open spaces & receipts on a dozen waiting their 2 week background check. They said the past few weeks have benn crazy in sales.

The wait time on replacement inventory has grown & there used gun supply is almost nil.

Take it for what you will,if you need something, don't put off till tomorrow.

It will just cost you more & thats if you can even find it!

chadbag
03-31-11, 22:55

You laugh. I only have one of the tracking numbers but I do have a bunch of BC and BCG inbound...

(but alas, it has nothing to do with any future shortages -- just catching up on long draw out projects I am helping with)

Rider79
03-31-11, 23:04
...PMAGS/Lancer AWM's will command upwards of $30-50 dollars (per mag) in the up coming year.

Reasoning behind this?

mkmckinley
03-31-11, 23:12
I take Grant at his word. He's just making a statement for our benefit based on what he's seen and heard. I did use hes tip to get of my butt and order some primers and a few odds and ends. My reasoning is that even if he's wrong stuff like ammo, mags etc are cheap right now. There's not really a downside to buying things now that I was planning on buying anyway.

ALCOAR
03-31-11, 23:16
Reasoning behind this?

I will have my pen and paper ready for whomever charges $30-$50 for a pmag, and they will go on my never buy from again list.....I will never bend that far over, even if the Mayan's are right about the upcoming apocalypse:)

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-31-11, 23:53
I will have my pen and paper ready for whomever charges $30-$50 for a pmag, and they will go on my never buy from again list.....I will never bend that far over, even if the Mayan's are right about the upcoming apocalypse:)

I'm with you here Trident. If this so-called hysteria induced shortage has brought on anything, it is my willingness to buy from people who give me more for my buck. Ive recently bought another upper, another BCG, etc etc etc and yet Ive had no Obama Shortage. This is craziness.

OldState
04-01-11, 01:02

C4

Executive Orders only hold water if they reference a law passed by Congress and are usually used by a President to clarify (according to him) what a law "should"mean. They are also very dubious in their Constitutionality(its not in the Constitution).
An EO on guns would be a substantial abuse of a power and would only hold up until the first challenge to it. Also, few states outside of CA, MA, etc would enforce it.
People need to remember that ONLY Congress legislates. The President can not make law. Any new Federal gun law would need heavy bi-partisan support to pass both houses...which does not currently exist.

chadbag
04-01-11, 01:08
Executive Orders only hold water if they reference a law passed by Congress and are usually used by a President to clarify (according to him) what a law "should"mean.

Not really. They are orders by the CEO to his staff and minions. They are not really "law" and cannot contradict existing law. But they can influence or direct how the executive branch behaves and how it carries out (or not) law.

I think you are thinking of "signing statements" or whatever they are called

more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_order_(United_States)

They are also very dubious in their Constitutionality(its not in the Constitution).
An EO on guns would be a substantial abuse of a power and would only hold up until the first challenge to it. Also, few states outside of CA, MA, etc would enforce it.
People need to remember that ONLY Congress legislates. The President can not make law. Any new Federal gun law would need heavy bi-partisan support to pass both houses...which does not currently exist.

OldState
04-01-11, 01:16
This.

The few media reports I was able to read tended to hint that the current administration is going to focus on improving the NICS checks with mental health records and the like, but keep in mind that this administration is also continuing to implement the Health Care law even after a federal judge declared the whole thing unconstitutional.

That should be the red flag that this bunch intends to impose its will whether the laws are there to back them up or not.

1st part is correct. The 2nd part is off base. That was a District Court Judge. His ruling has no legal bearing on the law. By declaring it Unconstitutional it basically means that the Supreme Court needs to hear the case. Their ruling maters.

Again, the President does not make law. If there is a "panic" because of Obama then it is based on a perception and not a reality.

Now, if the Democrats with back all the seat they lost and Obama wins, I feel confident they will try to pass some type of law. But then again they didn't when they had the chance.

OldState
04-01-11, 01:22
Not really. They are orders by the CEO to his staff and minions. They are not really "law" and cannot contradict existing law. But they can influence or direct how the executive branch behaves and how it carries out (or not) law.

I think you are thinking of "signing statements" or whatever they are called

more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_order_(United_States)

That is how they were meant to be used. I'm talking about how some Presidents have tried to use them. Signing Statements are more like notes in the margin of a bill.

As your link highlights, the Emancipation Proclamation was an EO. Despite what your teacher told you, that EO had no legal authority either as any honest student of Constitutional law/history should tell you. The 13th Amendment ended Slavery...an act of Congress.

If Obama and the Dems try to pass a new Assault weapons ban or something similar in the next 2 years, I will cut up and eat my AR 15.

From the link you provided:

"Presidents, however, often cite executive order as the only way to clarify laws passed through Congress that required vague wording to please all parties involved in their creation"

JDW67
04-01-11, 01:40
I'm on a "wait and see" stance. This reminds me of the last real estate debacle. People kept thinking prices would continue to rise and bought at crazy prices. I'm pretty sure there'll be thousands of people who'll hoard 50-100 lowers and then dump them when they realize they spent all that money for nothing. Although, I'll be the first in line to buy off the ee for a NIW stripped lower bought during the election scare for $10 bucks...:laugh:

Silver_2325
04-01-11, 02:01
I bought 14.5 middy from Grant today before reading the post. For some reason though BCM and Grant are out of BCGs so I have to wait until they are in stock to get one.

I wasn't active in the AR field during 2008 but I think that demand is going up for a couple of reasons.

Unrest in the Middle East, Egypt, Lybia, and other such areas has some people concerned about their own safety here.

Increased prices in oil and raw materials used to transport and make parts.

Political uncertainty pertaining to 2A and a president that may pander to his base.

The problem with being in a shortage is that you don't realize you're in one until you can't purchase something.

There isn't anything wrong with Grant's warning and the prepared will see the signs and stock up on essential parts and supplies.

Solid post. There are a lot of different factors driving the buying craze. Also of note is the post someone made about manufacturers going into maintenance mode after the holiday season and people having expendable income shortly after due to tax returns and gobbling up the inventory. Still nice of Grant to give us a heads up from a distributors perspective though. I ordered 1000 rounds from Midway over a month ago and they keep pushing out the backorder date. Up to April 25 right now.

ZRH
04-01-11, 02:35
If Obama and the Dems try to pass a new Assault weapons ban or something similar in the next 2 years, I will cut up and eat my AR 15.
Democrats, at least the ones I know, are more worried about their taxes and the price of gas right now, guns just aren't an issue. A lot of them are realllllly suffering from buyers remorse with Obama.

Dirtyboy333
04-01-11, 04:57
Democrats, at least the ones I know, are more worried about their taxes and the price of gas right now, guns just aren't an issue. A lot of them are realllllly suffering from buyers remorse with Obama.

I agree. I also completely believe Grant that prices are going up and supply down but I don't think it's any "craze" and that's coiming from a self labeled conspiracy theorist. :p

The libs have way too much on their plate to worry about guns....WAY too much.

1371USMCFL
04-01-11, 07:54
I've definitely had a problem with that. I've been waiting to buy BCMs BCG for ages it seems, and finally today when I checked they were in stock. It was getting pretty damn frustrating there for a minute.

I've been on deployment for the past 7 months, so I haven't really been able to see this situation in local gunshops. It seems like the area around my station is hit pretty hard when it comes to 9mm, .223, .45, and even .22... I'm curious to see what the shelves look like when I get back.

welcome home brother

C4IGrant
04-01-11, 07:57
Reasoning behind this?

Because everyone is out of them and then people start to dump their reserves on GB/EGAY and PEOPLE bid them up to those level.

C4

C4IGrant
04-01-11, 07:59
Executive Orders only hold water if they reference a law passed by Congress and are usually used by a President to clarify (according to him) what a law "should"mean. They are also very dubious in their Constitutionality(its not in the Constitution).

I do not put past anything Obama and what he will attempt and the fact the G. Beck did an entire show on it, kind of lends credibility to the fear.

C4

ReaperAZ
04-01-11, 08:08
I do not put past anything Obama.......

C4

I'm with you on that one.

ColdDeadHands
04-01-11, 08:11
Let's see...Economy is bad, demand for Firearms, parts, accessories & ammo is high. How about the manufacturers hire more people to get production up so they can keep up with demand? Seems like an easy solution to me. Of course if they'd do that they wouldn't have an excuse to inflate their prices. :suicide2:

Happypupy
04-01-11, 08:18
Let's see...Economy is bad, demand for Firearms, parts, accessories & ammo is high. How about the manufacturers hire more people to get production up so they can keep up with demand? Seems like an easy solution to me. Of course if they'd do that they wouldn't have an excuse to inflate their prices. :suicide2:

Sure they would, that would be a perfect excuse. "We hired more people to make more parts to meet demands, so now we have to charge more to make up the overhead."

JSantoro
04-01-11, 08:54
Except for the pesky fact that hiring more people WOULD result in more overhead...

Which would make it a reason, and not an excuse.

OldState
04-01-11, 09:10
Except for the pesky fact that hiring more people WOULD result in more overhead...

Which would also increase production to fill the increased demand thus bringing prices back down.
Lets not fall unto the trap lefty economists do and not think thing through to their ends. The natural laws of economics are as sure and predictable as the laws of physics.

I can only speak for myself but I had not bought any firearm related stuff for the last 2 years because prices were ridiculous.
I just bought a rifle and a bunch of gun stuff in the last couple months because I noticed prices were way down.

Maybe others are coming out of gun hibernation as well. Tie that in with the spring weather and tax returns......

ColdDeadHands
04-01-11, 09:12
You guys are right...I shouldn't be posting right after I got up! :D

However; if they'd higher more people they would at least help the economy & meet demand.

C4IGrant
04-01-11, 09:17

The problem with that idea is that the ride might last all of 6 months and then crash (as Daniel Defense will attest to). It is also not about people (in most instances), but about EXPENSIVE CNC machines.

C4

kwilkin
04-01-11, 09:33
I do not put past anything Obama and what he will attempt and the fact the G. Beck did an entire show on it, kind of lends credibility to the fear.

C4

"Glenn Beck" and "credibility": now that's an oxymoron if I have ever heard one.

Demand is up (e.g., people just got tax returns), but I'm not seeing a huge increase in prices on current inventories. As those dry up, we will see what prices do on new product. I personally think that producers are at full capacity and can't keep up with demand, partly because of lower prices due to competition and supply, and the aforementioned positive income shock due to tax season (for some, not all).

Of course, sellers could always collude and let inventories dry up, raise prices on current output, and then say there's a policy-induced demand shock. I doubt that would happen because some producers would have a profit-maximizing incentive to renege. In any event, I will keep conspiracy theories to a minimum.

Ammo prices are expected to rise, but that is due to the increased price of key inputs to production, and that price increase has been expected for a little while.

I personally doubt Libya unrest will get here in any meaningful way. They only produce 2% of the world's oil. But it does shed light on how sensitive our economy is to oil shocks, especially considering the region from which we buy most of it.

That a dealer would make such a claim causes some suspicion, regardless of actual intent. If Grant sees something coming and it actually does, then I will log this one in the "better listen to Grant next time" book.

Get what you need. Don't go broke. Invest in some real assets, like education, and keep your job. Make sure your car works and keep a decent supply of food and water on hand should a temporary crisis arise. You should be good to go. Just my $.02.

Buckeye0311
04-01-11, 09:34
Grant, thanks for your original post. I do not understand why people were giving your crap for it, it just seemed like common sense to me. If the price and availability of orange juice is expected to sky rocket then why not ammo and guns????

As far as executive orders go....no they are not constitutional but presidents have been using them so often that people do not even get fired up about them any more (which is bs!!!). Also the sad fact is that when Presidents sign them, especially our current one, the EOs are inforced like a real law that was passed by Congress. If Obama did sign one against gun ownership it would hurt us until a new president was elected and ended that specific executive order!!!

We all need to keep an eye on it. Stay informed and seek out the truth no matter where it takes you. God Bless

Buckeye0311
04-01-11, 09:45
Kwilkin, have you ever watched Glenn Beck's program? What about him is not credible? Do you have proof about anything that he has brought up in the past two years being false or a lie? If you do you should call him up on his radio show and talk with him about it. You see it is hard to question his credibility when he simply uses the lefts own words to prove his points and to introduce new crazy topics...my guess is you have never watched his show...

markm
04-01-11, 09:45
I do not understand why people were giving your crap for it

It keeps him sharp for dealing with Gun store customers... :p

YVK
04-01-11, 09:53
Kwilkin, have you ever watched Glenn Beck's program? What about him is not credible? Do you have proof about anything that he has brought up in the past two years being false or a lie? If you do you should call him up on his radio show and talk with him about it. You see it is hard to question his credibility when he simply uses the lefts own words to prove his points and to introduce new crazy topics...my guess is you have never watched his show...

Not a Kwilkin, but I have watched his shows and his hysteria around the time of last econ collapse was beyond non-credible. I am fine with pushing conservative agenda and criticizing opponents, but I heard with my own ears prophecies of impending doom, dumping stock options and recommendations to go buy light bulbs and matches etc. RIGHT now. There is a distinct line between awareness and fear-mongering, and he has no idea where that line is.

JSantoro
04-01-11, 10:06
Somebody, please, type the words "Glenn Beck" in a thread NOT about Glen Beck, just one more time.

For that matter, mention ANY on-air pundit in any way that isn't a direct reference to information related to the topic at hand......

Test me.

Buckeye0311
04-01-11, 10:10
YVK, really? Where is that line? Can you tell me? Sure you could because that distinction is up to you. So far his information that he has presented has been accurate, scary sometimes yes, but accurate. It is up to the individual to become fearful of the information presented or to take that said information and use it constructively.

Buckeye0311
04-01-11, 10:12
JSantoro, roger. Point taken.:)

vingrjoe
04-01-11, 10:28
I thought I would add my own experience to confirm what C4IGrant stated in his opening post. I just got off the phone with YHM and the salesman I spoke with said they cannot keep up with demand. It reminded him of '09.

Beat Trash
04-01-11, 10:33
I personally doubt Libya unrest will get here in any meaningful way. They only produce 2% of the world's oil. But it does shed light on how sensitive our economy is to oil shocks, especially considering the region from which we buy most of it.

Get what you need. Don't go broke. Invest in some real assets, like education, and keep your job. Make sure your car works and keep a decent supply of food and water on hand should a temporary crisis arise. You should be good to go. Just my $.02.

Get what you think you might need now has been what I've been saying for a long time. If for no other reason other than we have been in a period where prices were low and availability was good.

I don't know if I'd spend money buying up lowers, mags, and complete guns as an investment, speculating that there will be another rush. Yes, money can be made, but then money can be lost.

I'm often approached at work by officers who are non-gun people, with questions and advice as to best pricing on a particular item. Where as I might get one or two people a month asking about a first time AR purchase, I've been seeing 1-2 a week lately. A friend who supervises a District level undercover unit was pumping me for info. Within the last month, every member of his unit (about 9 total) has bought an AR, mags, and ammo. (Of course once they shot them and discovered/remembered how much fun a good AR can be, they need more ammo!)

Many of these non-shooters buying guns are reluctant to discuss at first why they're in the market. (I ask "why" only to best steer them in the right direction.) The upcoming Presidential election never has come up as a primary reason, though as a secondary justification on occasion.

The primary reason seems to be concerns about the US economy. To be more specific, the perception that the US economy is fragile at best. If something causes it to tank to the point that for instance the Social Security system goes bankrupt and the SSI checks stop coming. The social unrest that could result from the US economy crashing has many concerned enough to want to buy now.

These are inter-city LEO's. Many of the younger ones are combat vets from Iraq and/or Afghanistan. Many of the old farts such as myself have worked through at least one riot.

I only mention my experiences with my officers as one example of what may be driving up the current buying craze. I think there are several factors working at the same time.

Bottom line, if you've been putting off obtaining anything gun related, you might want to seriously reconsider holding off on that purchase.

Once again, I appreciate Grant's willingness to bring this topic up.

Alex V
04-01-11, 10:34
Can't find a 14.5 LW middie bbl with a low pro gas block anywhere :(

This blows!

Promised the fiance an engagement gift of a LW AR and now I looks like a jerk who can't deliver lol

BCM has those awesome uppers but they have a FSP, but she wants a low-pro setup... DD says they are 12 weeks out...

POOP!

dway
04-01-11, 13:58
Can't find a 14.5 LW middie bbl with a low pro gas block anywhere :(

This blows!

Promised the fiance an engagement gift of a LW AR and now I looks like a jerk who can't deliver lol

BCM has those awesome uppers but they have a FSP, but she wants a low-pro setup... DD says they are 12 weeks out...

POOP!
Have you checked Centurion Arms? They aren't listed as out of stock or anything, and you can add a lo-pro pinned gas block for $50.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-01-11, 14:13
So why does a heavily saturated market with a high demand for products have to equate to mass panic and hysteria? Are we in the theater yelling "fire" simply because the tickets sold out?

fdxpilot
04-01-11, 14:18
Grant, I appreciate the heads-up. I have noticed that neither you or anyone else seems to have 5.56 75gr T2 TAP available anymore. So I heeded your warning and picked up a couple hundred rounds of Black Hills Mk262, a case of XM193, and a bunch of Barnes TSX 6.8SPC hog hunting ammo. No sense running short. Just sorry that none of it was from you.

Alex V
04-01-11, 16:19
Have you checked Centurion Arms? They aren't listed as out of stock or anything, and you can add a lo-pro pinned gas block for $50.

Never thought about it... and only $15 more than a DD setup... Thanks for the heads up!

bo-hoss
04-02-11, 11:33
http://thompsonauctioneers.com/Toolcraft-of-North-Carolina-a151854.php

http://www.auctionzip.com/Listings/1051578.html

This ^^^^ falls right in line with the OP information....

Magic_Salad0892
04-02-11, 11:35
Never thought about it... and only $15 more than a DD setup... Thanks for the heads up!

KAC gas blocks can also be had, check lawmans.

Or VLTOR if it's cheaper.

warpigM-4
04-02-11, 11:46
Somebody, please, type the words "Glenn Beck" in a thread NOT about Glen Beck, just one more time.

For that matter, mention ANY on-air pundit in any way that isn't a direct reference to information related to the topic at hand......

Test me.
I Love Ya man !! and you can have My Bud light !!

Grant!
Thank you for the heads Up ,My UPS guy is going to need to take some back ache pills :shout:.
I have been looking around and Buying ammo ,I noticed in just a few Hours Aimsurplus sold out of ammo pretty fast.It has started

Fried Chicken Blowout
04-02-11, 11:58
I'm in the process of helping friends and family members build 16 ARs out of parts we are buying in bulk for the builds. We've run into problems finding stuff in stock. It takes a lot more looking than normal but you can find most of what you need, but not everything. I knew something was going on but couldn't put my finger on it. Ammo still seems good, it's mostly parts for builds. A lot of stuff seems to be on perpetual backorder or very limited stock if you can find it.

OldState
04-02-11, 13:55
Just went to a large gun show outside Philly. Tons of people but prices are still low.

30 round PMAGS $13 PMAG w/window $15.

Wolf ammo @209/1000rnds

Federal 55gr .223 $305/1000rnds

Got a NIB VLTOR IMOD stock for $95. They had NIB LMT SOPMOD "Crane" stocks for $175 ($100 for TAN ones w/blemish)

New Colt SP6920's for $1050 LE6920"s $1200.

Just some examples.

motorwerks
04-02-11, 14:06
I've noticed that if you know where to look you can find stuff but no one seems to be a one stop shop right now so I'm spending a metric-ass-ton on shipping.

spdldr
04-02-11, 14:57
There are always periodic episodes of hysteria. They can be caused by natural disasters (Japan's earthquake) or wars and rumors of wars (Libya). These factors, from our perspective, are insignificant when compared to anti gun legislation.

In my opinion, a SHTF situation is very unlikely in the US. If it did occur, it would most likely be a local event such as Katrina. Probably the best course of preparation would be to cultivate a good relationship with your neighbors and local merchants. Keep a little food and water on hand too.

Prepare for a surplus of things and a shortage of money. The gun and ammunition industry is not immune to this. The world can now produce with far fewer workers much more product than we can consume. There will be temporary price spikes and shortages of certain items, but the overall trend is simply too much stuff. When this happens, prices generally go down.This happened during the "great depression" and it is happening again. It is different this time though. This time it's permanent.

ucrt
04-02-11, 15:13
In my opinion, a SHTF situation is very unlikely in the US. If it did occur, it would most likely be a local event such as Katrina. .....

======================

The thing is, IF you are in that "local event" you won't feel any better knowing that people in Kansas City or Spokane are doing OK.

Right now there is a world-wide food shortage...but the media just chooses to find other things to report. I have read a few accounts of the reasons for the rioting and such in the mid-east was because of food prices (shortage).

Maybe the folks that are aware of what is really going on in the world are just preparing. I think it is kind of how before a big storm hits, all of the animals take cover or go to the high ground. Might just be people don't know why they suddenly want to be able to protect themselves...who knows...??

eightmillimeter
04-02-11, 17:56
If I wasn't trying to pay for my upcoming wedding I would be buying a lot more stuff right now... I just hope this doesn't last too long.

veeklog
04-02-11, 19:09
Parts are becoming scarce. AR's and pistols (from quality manufacturers) are becoming scarce RIGHT NOW! Ammo prices are climbing and certain types of quality ammo is harder to get.

My theory for this is that people got burned so bad during the last election that they are buying everything now so they won't get screwed (again) in 2012. My sales are back up to where they were when Obama got elected! :eek:

As 2012 draws closer things are going to get worse for sure. Expect higher prices on nearly everything (especially guns, mags and ammo). So be wise and start buying what you need or want NOW so you do not get trapped.

C4

Grant:

I have to agree on your statement about parts/rifles being scarce. I went to my local gun store today, very good people with very competitive prices, and a lot of their inventory of rifles, stripped lowers, and magazines are down to the bare minimum! Almost all of their Daniel Defense, Noveske, Stag, LMT, and LWRC rifles are gone.

spdldr
04-02-11, 19:51
Grant:

I have to agree on your statement about parts/rifles being scarce. I went to my local gun store today, very good people with very competitive prices, and a lot of their inventory of rifles, stripped lowers, and magazines are down to the bare minimum! Almost all of their Daniel Defense, Noveske, Stag, LMT, and LWRC rifles are gone.

veeklog:

There are several reasons why product could be scarce at individual stores.

From the manufacturer's perspective, it could be that they cut back on production due to lack of demand, and consequently cut the number of their employees. It is spring, and demand generally increases for gun products due to nice weather for shooting and tax refund money showing up. It takes a while to ramp up production again. They need to be very careful, as it is easy to go too far too fast since the economy has shown no real sign of significant improvement.

From the dealer's perspective, it could be that sales have been slow up until the last few weeks and they have been reluctant to re-order. You mention high dollar, relatively slow moving products in your post. Many dealers have not been very prosperous the last few months due to the economy and are reluctant to maintain a large stock. It is hard to sell non-essentials to folks with no job, uncertain employment, or those apprehensive about their future. They will stock only those items that sell well, and these are becoming fewer and fewer. Most of them are the less expensive models.

TehLlama
04-02-11, 20:01
Short term, this might suck for those getting into shooting - anybody who has been at this a while should have least spares of critical parts, and can find the patience to wait for quality parts to come back into stock.

Mid-term (assuming our congress critters and electorate don't jump the walrus near term) I think this is great - given the growth and development of quality small arms and accessories, the innovators who have been coming up with any new and useful products will be rewarded, at least fiscally, with business long enough to recoup their development and material costs.

To me, this means that when materials cost and panic buying normalizes a bit more after the next election cycle (inshallah) we'll have access to even more quality parts at okay prices...

ALCOAR
04-02-11, 20:32
Ultimately this type of stuff will have a "cash for clunkers" effect on the gun/gun part/ammo retail industry just like it did a yr. or two ago. By this I mean that anyone who was even teetering on the edge of a firearm or firearm related purchase will now be swayed into buying, these folks combined w. the end timers or folks who let the panic and hysteria take hold and buy copious amt's of anything gun related will create this obvious boom for that particular industry but the low cycle will be very low and we are going to see those wonderful fire sales imho sooner or later. The Mayans had no clue:cool:

Outlander Systems
04-02-11, 21:28
....tax returns.

zacbol
04-02-11, 21:58
Whether or not there are supply issues (I've not had problems getting anything yet), I trust Grant's word. We should all be appreciative he gave us a heads up.

That said, I also know that with current economic conditions, prices will go up. They will go up irrespective of whether there are supply issues or panic buying or who's elected. *Everything*, from vegetables to toilet paper, is going up in price and will continue to do so for awhile.

So, this thread was as good of a reason as any to pick up a few thousand more rounds of ammo and an extra Colt BCG. Not that I really needed a reason.

wake.joe
04-02-11, 22:41
....tax returns.

Very, very true.

I don't think it's Obama (Yet), but a host of other things. I bet Tax Returns are 75% of it.

shootist~
04-02-11, 22:52
And it could be that people are just feeling better about things and spending money again.

Outlander Systems
04-02-11, 23:05
That said, I also know that with current economic conditions, prices will go up. They will go up irrespective of whether there are supply issues or panic buying or who's elected. *Everything*, from vegetables to toilet paper, is going up in price and will continue to do so forever.

Fixed it for you. ;)

I trust Grant, as well. That being said, it's not just bullet hoses. Everything that isn't a luxury item (edible iPads, and nuclear-powered, paper-thin TVs and 3D corrective eye surgery) is going to start escalating in price, with a quickness, and in an unprecedented fashion.

If I were a bettin' man, I'd say start watching the price of things of actual value, in real terms, start to double by the end of the year. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

I mean, 12 oz is the new pound.

davidjinks
04-02-11, 23:05
I can tell you all now…

6 months ago when I was putting all my builds together, the parts could be found just about anywhere. Of course, I didn't have the disposable cash at the time.

Fast forward 6 months…

Now I have the disposable cash but cannot find the parts that I have listed. When I do find the parts that I need, they are almost twice the cost.

Ammunition has gone up. Parts have gone up. Availability is almost non-existant. I do have the chance to get my LMT uppers with the barrels. However, BCGs, stocks, RE, and a few other parts are a killer to find at a good price.

Just my observations so far.

tuck
04-02-11, 23:19
If I wasn't trying to pay for my upcoming wedding I would be buying a lot more stuff right now... I just hope this doesn't last too long.

I'm in the exact same boat right now...

As for the OP, I went to my favorite LGS today to help pick out an AR for my brother in laws birthday, and was shocked to find that they had all of two. A really nice LMT and a Sabre M5. This shop is usually packed with the typical DPMS, and RRA stuff. The store manager said they went through over 30 AR platforms in the last month, and everything is on backorder.

ALCOAR
04-02-11, 23:35
One of my favorite aspects to this whole lunacy is the hoarding of BCG's specifically....I guess I just get lucky 100% of the time and my BCG's run thousands and thousands of rds.

At least when the end times come and we all run low or outta ammo, the frightened among us will have all their numerous redundant BCG's they can defend us all with by hurling them at the zombies...you know a hurled BCG to the temple can do some real damage:)

The Hoarder's/Gullible formula: For every 100rds. of ammo stocked, 1 BCG should be on hand.

Just a Jarhead
04-03-11, 05:13
One of my favorite aspects to this whole lunacy is the hoarding of BCG's specifically....I guess I just get lucky 100% of the time and my BCG's run thousands and thousands of rds.

At least when the end times come and we all run low or outta ammo, the frightened among us will have all their numerous redundant BCG's they can defend us all with by hurling them at the zombies...you know a hurled BCG to the temple can do some real damage:)

The Hoarder's/Gullible formula: For every 100rds. of ammo stocked, 1 BCG should be on hand.

They too mocked and ridiculed Noah in the same manner when he was building an ark years before the flood came but you probably don't believe any of the bible nonsense anyhow. Why mock and ridicule people? If it makes them feel more comfortable stocking the supply closet...so be it. And yes I have a spare BCM BCG. I myself sleep better knowing I am well stocked and prepared for any eventuality. Whether that be a hurricane here in FL or economic collapse, which is not that far fethced of a concept if you've been paying attention. Most well respected experts, from Warren Buffet to Rueters etc have raised serious red flags on the dollar!

I myself prefer to live my life by my U.S.M.C. 7 p's: "prior proper planning prevents piss poor performance". I'd rather have it and not need it than the reverse. As always...many "have eyes and they do not see , they have ears but they can not hear"!

Iraqgunz
04-03-11, 05:26
I think the point Trident is trying to make is this. People can overdo things. Hoarding BCG's isn't so much out of a perceived need, as it is people that will try and make a profit down the road-IMO.

You would be better of buying spare bolts. For every 1 BCG a person buys, they can get 2 spare bolts. More importantly stock up on ammo and or reloading equipment.

They too mocked and ridiculed Noah in the same manner when he was building an ark years before the flood came but you probably don't believe any of the bible nonsense anyhow. Why mock and ridicule people? If it makes them feel more comfortable stocking the supply closet...so be it. And yes I have a spare BCM BCG. I myself sleep better knowing I am well stocked and prepared for any eventuality. Whether that be a hurricane here in FL or economic collapse, which is not that far fethced of a concept if you've been paying attention. Most well respected experts, from Warren Buffet to Rueters etc have raised serious red flags on the dollar!

I myself prefer to live my live by my U.S.M.C. 7 p's: "prior proper planning prevents piss poor perfprmance". I'd rather have it and not need it than the reverse. As always...many "have eyes and they do not see , they have ears but they can not hear"!

ZRH
04-03-11, 05:26
They too mocked and ridiculed Noah in the same manner when he was building an ark years before the flood came. Why mock and ridicule people? If it makes them feel more comfortablee stocking the supply closet...so be it.

I myself prefer to live my live by my U.S.M.C. 7 p's: "prior proper planning prevents piss poor perfprmance". I'd rather have it and not need it then the reverse. As always "they have eyes and they do not see , they have ears and they can not hear"!
Don't think anyone is getting mocked. I might point out the Hitchhiker's Guide: "Don't Panic" :p

Just a Jarhead
04-03-11, 05:42
Don't think anyone is getting mocked. I might point out the Hitchhiker's Guide: "Don't Panic" :p

And the fastest way to avoid any sort of panic is ....drum roll please...."being properly prepared"!

You always see it here in FL when an impending hurricane is approaching. The multitudes of the unprepared scramble in a frenzy last minute to get supplies and often are SOL on certain items as the shelves get picked clean fast.

Not me. I throw the shutters up, relax and fire up the grill.

ZRH
04-03-11, 05:54
Life just isn't fun unless the weather can kill you. -.-

C4IGrant
04-03-11, 09:22
....tax returns.

We are famiiar with the sales increase from tax returns. That isn't what is happening here.

C4

C4IGrant
04-03-11, 09:26

I blame MarkM for this.

C4

Quentin
04-03-11, 09:36
Of course the real problem with a spare BCG, it tends to morph into another rifle! :D

Which means you have to buy another BCG and deja vu all over again.

Outlander Systems
04-03-11, 10:17
We are famiiar with the sales increase from tax returns. That isn't what is happening here.

C4

I was being a smartass.

It sucks, I was about to order a mid-length upper yesterday, and you were out. BCM had the "Standard" straight-up, 16" in stock Friday night; gone yesterday.

I completely gave up on ever getting a BCM A3-Type upper.

Armati
04-03-11, 11:08
Seriously, I have never lost money on a gun - ever.

I remember the AWB and have learned since. Buy guns, and gun parts - always. Buy and keep buying. My strategy is to continue to buy parts and build guns like always. No shooter should assume this AWB nonsense will EVER go away. These Leftists are like termites. They are constantly trying to undermine the Constitution and even if you can't see them you still need to spray for them.

C4IGrant
04-03-11, 14:43
I was being a smartass.

It sucks, I was about to order a mid-length upper yesterday, and you were out. BCM had the "Standard" straight-up, 16" in stock Friday night; gone yesterday.

I completely gave up on ever getting a BCM A3-Type upper.

Sorry, missed that. :D

i have one middy 16 in stock if you want it.

C4

Outlander Systems
04-03-11, 17:21
PM Sent, good Sir.

:D

Spooky130
04-03-11, 20:29
This was as good of an excuse to buy some stuff I have been looking at for a while. Even got some stuff from Grant - you can't beat his Magpul ACS prices!

Jpm350z
04-05-11, 19:43
i agree. when the election went on, it was impossible to get anything!! even boxes of .22 were all out! I was forced to buy as much as possible when ever there was anything available. Another reason im getting into reloading.

Odie Dozer
04-05-11, 21:27
I'm hoping this is just a phase people are going through but it seems like it's not. The wife said I can't order my upper till were back from a vacation in May. Thanks for the warning but it's stressing me out lol. Hopefully you'll have some in stock!