PDA

View Full Version : newb here from houston

jared91
03-30-11, 19:22
hey everyone, my name is jared, im 19, and i live in houston. i attend the university of houston, i am a criminal justice major, and next spring i plan on transfering to sam houston state university. i would like to get into the FBI or some other agency, i am very passionate about law enforcement and helping and serving others. ive been lurkin the site for awhile now, and will post here and there. ive been around firearms since i could walk and talk. for my age, i like to think i know quite a bit about firearms and other tactics, but know that i also have much to learn, and look foward to learning on the site. i hope to make some new friends, and learn how to become a better and more educated shooter.

TOrrock
03-30-11, 19:46
Welcome.

jared91
03-30-11, 19:58
thank you templar. btw, whats with the sig? are you into the car and truck world as well?

WGG
04-06-11, 20:46
Welcome.

I am up in the Woodlands area. Drop me a PM and maybe we can shoot together sometime.

There is a group of Houston area guys who shoot ARs and meet for dinner and drinks every month. You can find them on TOS in the Texas forum.

jared91
04-07-11, 10:52
Welcome.

I am up in the Woodlands area. Drop me a PM and maybe we can shoot together sometime.

There is a group of Houston area guys who shoot ARs and meet for dinner and drinks every month. You can find them on TOS in the Texas forum.

thanks man, will def consider. i dont have an ar though, as i am a broke college student.

WGG
04-07-11, 19:08
Not to worry - I have two.:D

jared91
04-08-11, 11:27
Not to worry - I have two.:D

well, that sounds awesome to me! :D

randolph
04-08-11, 12:09
Welcome.

Im in west houston, where do you guys shoot at ?

ForTehNguyen
04-08-11, 20:40
american shooting center

http://www.amshootcenters.com/

randolph
04-08-11, 21:22
american shooting center

http://www.amshootcenters.com/

thats where I shoot now, I was asking where they shoot since he is on the north side :p

WGG
04-08-11, 22:06
I shoot at Carter's off Treaschwig since it's close (20 minutes) to where I live. Unfortuantely, the longest rifle range they have is 100 yards now that a new subdivision was built behind the range.

How is ASC now? In the past I had heard that they were not found of black rifles and some of the range officers were real jerks.

04-09-11, 17:17
I shoot at Carter's off Treaschwig since it's close (20 minutes) to where I live. Unfortuantely, the longest rifle range they have is 100 yards now that a new subdivision was built behind the range.

How is ASC now? In the past I had heard that they were not found of black rifles and some of the range officers were real jerks.

My home range is ASC. I've never had a problem shooting my ARs there. Then again I don't wear a hat backwards with a flat brim and shoot with flip flops. The RO's are jerks for a reason. Safety. I welcome that. I don't trust anyone around me. Either I'll say something or they'll catch it before I do.

WGG
04-10-11, 10:12

Thanks for the clarification. Glad to hear that ASC is not like they were portrayed on TOS. I only went there a few times to shoot trap and skeet about 8 years ago. I liked the facilities at ASC but the distance from home caused me to look for a closer facility.

I would love to join Bayou Rifles but they are even farther away.

jared91
04-10-11, 11:58
i would love to meet up for shooting and food, although, i will have to pass on the drinks, as one, i dont drink, and two, im 19.

WGG
04-13-11, 20:52
Jared

Just bought a house so I will be busy cleaning and painting and then moving in. I should be able to shoot with you in early May.

jared91
04-14-11, 16:42
Jared

Just bought a house so I will be busy cleaning and painting and then moving in. I should be able to shoot with you in early May.

well, my last final is may 13th. im taking 15 hours at the university of houston. if you need housework done or help with anything, lmk, i work for ammo! ;)

tarugs
04-15-11, 16:16
Welcome fellow Texan!

usmcvet
04-15-11, 20:41
Jared

You've come to the right place to learn. It is a great idea to spend some time here and read before you spend your hard earned money.

usmcvet
04-15-11, 20:43
Gotta razz you a little. The shift key is your friend. It is on the left side of the keyboard. :D

big 54r
04-16-11, 21:14
Ha...I work for ammo...that's funny!:D

jared91
04-18-11, 21:27
Ha...I work for ammo...that's funny!:D

:D dang skippy.

Radioflyer
04-19-11, 15:36
Hey. SHSU huh? I'm about to finish my BS there this semester. if I remember they have a new CJ facility.

jared91
04-19-11, 16:58
Hey. SHSU huh? I'm about to finish my BS there this semester. if I remember they have a new CJ facility.

hey, that sounds awesome! whats your major if you dont mind me asking?

Radioflyer
04-19-11, 19:53
hey, that sounds awesome! whats your major if you dont mind me asking?

Business Admin. Was going the finance route, but lost complete faith in it after Hurricane Ike and the economic collapse that most of us on the gulf coast were in the dark about. When my profs started making significant adjustments to their notes mid-semester, it threw up a red flag

jared91
04-20-11, 09:46
Business Admin. Was going the finance route, but lost complete faith in it after Hurricane Ike and the economic collapse that most of us on the gulf coast were in the dark about. When my profs started making significant adjustments to their notes mid-semester, it threw up a red flag

yeaaaaa i probably woulda ditched too.