PDA

View Full Version : "Quality" ARs

Deacon59
03-30-11, 23:20
New to the forum after lurking for a while.

On the market for an AR -
Have previously fired AK-47, 1990 era Colt AR, and Bushmaster AR. Bolt action Winchester, Remington shotgun. Much more experience with handguns - currently shooting to improve my 3 inch groups from 15 yards with my SIG P226.

I am looking for a quality AR, and trying to evaluate all of my options. By quality I mean accurate, and reliable. I am looking for professional quality. Varmint shooting, paper targets, and SHTF weapon. I am looking at probably a 16 inch barrel tactical weapon system.

I am struggling somewhat with reputation from what I am reading, and am looking for feedback on manufacturers from whom I will end up making my final selection - my one big catch is that I want a complete rifle for my first AR, and I'll see where it goes from there.

My access to weaponry is limited, but I will try what I can find after I narrow the field. I know "what fits me" is critical, but I am starting here.

From my own research, I have grouped the manufacturers from whom I see good feedback, into 3 tiers of reputation. More than anything right now, I am hoping for guidance on whether or not I have grouped the manufacturers into the right tiers.

Tier 1 - Premier
Noveske
LMT
Daniel Defense
LaRue Tactical
Knight's Armament

Tier 2 - Very good
BCM
Sabre Defense
Patriot Ordinance
LWRC
Primary Weapon Systems

Tier 3 - functional commercial
Stag
Rock River
Bushmaster

So, my questions:
1. BCM tier 1 or tier 2? I have seen conflicting info.
2. Knight's is tier 1, correct?
3. Anyone else obviously in the wrong tier?
4. Did I miss any tier 1s?

I know there are others, but these are the companies who have my interest so far.

Thank you for any feedback at all.

Irish
03-30-11, 23:31
I'm gonna help you out real quick. After this take a look at the "stickys" to get more info. After that use the orange search button up above to find out more info. Then read Rob's M4 Chart and the explanations. If you can't find the info then post a new thread.

So, my questions:
1. BCM tier 1 or tier 2? I have seen conflicting info. BCM is Tier Uno
2. Knight's is tier 1, correct? Correct.
3. Anyone else obviously in the wrong tier? Larue.
4. Did I miss any tier 1s? Colt.

I know there are others, but these are the companies who have my interest so far.

Thank you for any feedback at all.

Mods please close thread.

opmike
03-30-11, 23:33
You're taking this idea of "tiers" too far. There isn't exactly a standardized system of levels.

Iraqgunz
03-30-11, 23:42
Instead of rushing to make a first post, I suggest that you take some time and read through the TONS of information here. There will be a common pattern that develops.