PDA

View Full Version : Glock 3rd - 4th Gen trigger issues explained

Buck
03-31-11, 11:21
Having looked at a very large number of 3rd generation Glocks, 4th gereration Glocks, and the current 3rd generation Glocks with 4th generation trigger bars, I am certain that I have diagnosed the trigger issues that are being experienced by some.

First, other than the dimple on the trigger bar itself, there is no difference between the late 3rd and current 4th generation trigger bar. None. It is not stiffer, nor is it made of different materials. The angles and dimensions are exact. The parts are interchangeable and all of the current deliveries of third generation Glocks that I have seen have come with the 4th generation trigger bars installed.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4396010647_ff1941c480_m.jpg

The issue is that the 3rd generation Glocks with 4th generation trigger bars have a very heavy stiff trigger. Some have been measured at over 8 pounds.

Whilst other that the dimple, the trigger bars are exact, the trigger mechanism housings are very different and not interchangeable. Due to the shorter frame of the 4th generation pistols to accommodate the back straps, the angle that the 4th generation trigger mechanism housing holds the connector at is approximately 5 degrees less than that of the 3rd.

So the question becomes why is the dimple there and what does its interaction with the angle of the connector have to do with the trigger weight?

Some people believe that the dimple on the 4th generation trigger bar is dragging on the slide creating friction, and this is causing the issue. This is not correct. There is no noticeable difference in the first two thirds of the movement of the trigger bar and the disengagement of the firing pin safety between the generations, it is in the final third of the movement that it stiffens up.

Examining the second half of the movement of the trigger bars and comparing the 3rd and 4th Generation bars in motion, the reason for the dimple becomes apparent. In the final third of the movement of the 3rd generation trigger bar, in addition to moving to the rear, the bar itself moves away from the center line of the pistol and presses against the frame. This movement away from the center line of the pistol serves to smooth out the trigger pull. The dimple on the 4th generation trigger bar is in contact with the slide and it physically prevents this movement away from the centerline of the pistol in the final third of its movement stroke and keeps the trigger bar completely straight.

This straight trigger bar coupled with the smaller angle of the connector in the 4th generation guns increases the weight of the trigger by about one pound (+/-); However, it is in the new 3rd generation Glocks that are using the 3rd generation trigger mechanism housing with its increase in the angle of the connector, coupled with the dimpled 4th generation trigger bar that prevents it from moving away from the center line of the pistol to ease the pressure in the final third of its movement that show the most problems. It is this change of ratio that is causing them to have eight pound (+/-) triggers.

Just my .02

B

Magic_Salad0892
03-31-11, 13:45
Does this mean that switching trigger bars between generations can be functional but is not advised?

m4fun
03-31-11, 13:58
unless you like an ability to go to an 8lb pull - ouch!

SERT103
03-31-11, 15:44
Great post. You can really see how the cruciform drops down and to the right on the 3rd gen Glocks when you install the orange armorers slide cover. On the 4th gens, it stays straight through the entire pull of the trigger. I have noticed too, that it appears more of the cruciform is engaging the firing pin as well. Usually the the 3rd gens only engage about 2/3.

Buck
04-02-11, 21:32
Does this mean that switching trigger bars between generations can be functional but is not advised?

They should be switchable; however, I am unsure how a 3rd gen trigger bar will function in a 4th gen gun. We know that a 4th gen trigger bar in a 3rd gen gun with a normal connector gives an 8lb trigger...

B

Robb Jensen
04-02-11, 21:37
Glock says if the 4th gen trigger pull is satisfactory to use a 3rd gen trigger bar....well since I took the Advanced Armorers class at Glock last summer.

Drew78
04-02-11, 22:27
With all the info from the OP, would installing a 3.5 lb connector get a gen4 back into a trigger pull feel as the prior gen3's?

Anyone do this? If so I would welcome your feedback.

Drew

SERT103
04-02-11, 23:56
With all the info from the OP, would installing a 3.5 lb connector get a gen4 back into a trigger pull feel as the prior gen3's?

Drew

I have installed an OEM "-" connector on my Gen4 G23 and its much better. It's just a hair heavier than my Gen 3 set up the same way.

Kilo 1-1
04-03-11, 00:25

Drew

Not quite. I had a friend put an aftermarket 3.5 disconnect into his G19 gen4, and the pull was still....not great.

It was only after carefully polishing the trigger and using stock disconnect did it feel remotely kinda like a stock Gen 3 trigger again.

This is a sample size of one though.

jh9
04-03-11, 05:53
They should be switchable; however, I am unsure how a 3rd gen trigger bar will function in a 4th gen gun. We know that a 4th gen trigger bar in a 3rd gen gun with a normal connector gives an 8lb trigger...

B

900 rounds and change through my gen4 17, at least half of those being with the replacement, old standard, non-dimpled trigger bar. The trigger seems to work fine so far. I was unaware of anyone having issues with this configuration. :confused:

The vanek polished factory "3.5lb" connector and correct, standard g17, non-g37-dimpled trigger bar measured 5lbs on a (Lyman?) trigger pull gauge. Wasn't digital (or my gauge) so I guess that could be approximate. Stock felt like more than 8lbs, but I didn't measure it.

(That doesn't say anything about my ejection issues with the 02 spring (which I had with the stock g37 trigger bar as well)...but there have been no trigger related issues so far.)

Surf
04-03-11, 13:46
Hmm, I have considered how to reply to this thread for a couple of days so perhaps it might be best to ask a question(s) in regards to angles.

Is it possible that the angle on the Gen4's were a complete botch job that was not done intentionally? Is it possible that this was not caught until after many many many units were built and ready to ship? Or even not caught until after batches of units shipped? What would be the most economical thing to do? Ship it, recall it and fix it? Would the easier answer be to say that this was a purposely done engineering design and pistols were put out?

Just wondering.

Buck
06-14-11, 17:41
Just touching back on this thread... After some more range time, it seems that an easy and reliable fix for the new third gen Glocks with the forth generation trigger bars is the factory "-" connector... With over 3500 rounds down the pipe with no issues, and the trigger right around five pounds, ill call this one good...

The only other parts changed was the recoil spring, it is a "4", and a factory extended slide release...

B

Buck
06-14-11, 17:52
Hmm, I have considered how to reply to this thread for a couple of days so perhaps it might be best to ask a question(s) in regards to angles.

Is it possible that the angle on the Gen4's were a complete botch job that was not done intentionally? Is it possible that this was not caught until after many many many units were built and ready to ship? Or even not caught until after batches of units shipped? What would be the most economical thing to do? Ship it, recall it and fix it? Would the easier answer be to say that this was a purposely done engineering design and pistols were put out?

Just wondering.

I believe that the engineering team that designed the Gen Four guns did not account for some of the new parts finding their way in the the Gen Three assembly line, and that this is causing problems... I also believe that the Gen Three pistols days are numbered...

This is just my belief, and not really backed up by anything other than my opinion...

B

Surf
06-14-11, 21:13

____________ the angle on the Gen4's were a complete botch job that was not done intentionally by design but rather a pure mistake. ______ this was not caught until after many many many units were built and ready to ship, or even not caught until after batches of units shipped. What would be the best thing to do? Ship it as is and say it was a purposely done engineering design, or recall it and fix it? Answer - Ship it and call it a new purposely done design.

Hmmm, let me rephrase that from a question to a statement and then lets try this hypothetical situation above instead. :eek:

rauchman
06-15-11, 09:24
I bought a Gen4 G23 in March.

Trigger pull, while feeling more precise in it's movement over previous Gen's, was definitely heavier than my other Glocks, which are all pre-Gen4

Installed a Glock 4.5lb connector (formerly known as the Glock 3.5lb connector). Result = dropped the weight to roughly the weight of my Gen3 G19, but also resulted in more of mushy feel.

Installed a Lone Wolf 3.5lb connector and felt like something was catching in the draw of the trigger. Immediately took it out.

Installed Gen3 trigger bar (part # G357, has the smooth trigger face).
Result = same feel as preGen4's, but lost the more precise feel of the Gen4 bar. Wound up doing the $.25 Glock trigger job and it now has the same feel as my broken in Glocks.

I'd love to see the precision feel of the Gen4 trigger bar, mixed w/ the weight of the preGen4 trigger bar.

BTW, 850rnds so far on the Gen4 G23 and zero reliability issues.

Doc Safari
06-15-11, 09:30
I also believe that the Gen Three pistols days are numbered...

This is just my belief, and not really backed up by anything other than my opinion...

B

If I understand the injection molding process correctly, molds wear out and have to be replaced every few years. If that is true, then the Gen 3's days are numbered for this factor alone.

bleaman225
06-15-11, 09:42
If I understand the injection molding process correctly, molds wear out and have to be replaced every few years. If that is true, then the Gen 3's days are numbered for this factor alone.

I'm a maintenance tech for a plastic molding company. We have blow molding, injection molding and thermoforming machines. Anyways, the above comment about molds wearing out is completely true.

I would imagine only Glock knows whether they will refurbish the molds.