PDA

View Full Version : Best bolt/bolt carrier group out there for my needs?

greywolf2112
03-31-11, 12:20
I am getting a new 5.56 upper from BCM, 14.5" midlength lightweight, MOE handguards, 1.5 Battlecomp brake, on a AP lower, SSA-E Geiselle trigger, CTR stock and CS buffer spring with T2 tungsten buffer.

I haven't ordered a bolt/bolt carrier group yet and wondered if you all could give me an objective idea as to the difference between say the AR15Performance ITS Extreme Duty Bolt Carrier Group, 5.56-9310 alloy superbolt, and Nitro coating of them (or getting the superbolt and the Nickel Boron Coated M16 carrier)

vs the BCM Ion Bonded M16 bolt carrier group

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-ionbond-p/bcm%20bcg%20auto%20ib.htm

Trying to go as light as possible here with the LW build. I want extreme reliability here.

Thanks for your assistance!

ALCOAR
03-31-11, 12:26
My top three in no particular order would be..Colt,LMT, and BCM F/A BCG's. I haven't found a need for a special treated bcg and the ones in the pic below have proven themselves to be uber reliable.
Top to bottom in pic: Colt, LMT, BCM
http://i52.tinypic.com/mcxg05.jpg

markm
03-31-11, 12:27
CS buffer spring with T2 tungsten buffer.

I'd switch these two items for a USGI SS spring and an H buffer based on my 14.5 middy use.

As far as the BCG? DD, Colt, or BCM would be fine.

interfan
03-31-11, 13:27
My top three in no particular order would be..Colt,LMT, and BCM F/A BCG's. I haven't found a need for a special treated bcg and the ones in the pic below have proven themselves to be uber reliable.
Top to bottom in pic: Colt, LMT, BCM
http://i52.tinypic.com/mcxg05.jpg

+1 on this. Colt, LMT, and BCM are all quality.

Quentin
03-31-11, 13:52
I'd say those recommended so far are hard to beat. I'm partial to the standard phosphated DD BCG I got last year.

CQC.45
03-31-11, 14:02
Honestly, any of the proven names will be fine:

DD
BCM
LMT
Colt
etc.

Rainier thunderbolt also seems pretty legit (M16, proper testing, etc.), though I personally haven't used one and I haven't heard about it as much as the above.

As far as springs/buffer go, I would go Tactical springs CS blue spring H2 buffer.

T-TAC
03-31-11, 14:04
This is my favorite for the money;

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm

Skang
03-31-11, 15:40
How about from Noveske website?

Are those made by Noveske or somewhere else?

T-TAC
03-31-11, 16:19
Those are either Noveske or made for Noveske. I have one and had to lap the rear of the carrier because it was chewing up my buffer.
I have 2 Bravos and both where good to go out of the box.

payj
03-31-11, 16:26
BCM, LMT, DD

Iraqgunz
03-31-11, 17:02
Exactly.

I'd switch these two items for a USGI SS spring and an H buffer based on my 14.5 middy use.

As far as the BCG? DD, Colt, or BCM would be fine.

Iraqgunz
03-31-11, 17:04
I hate to say this, but almost all buffers will show wear on the face from the BCG. Nothing to get excited over.

Those are either Noveske or made for Noveske. I have one and had to lap the rear of the carrier because it was chewing up my buffer.
I have 2 Bravos and both where good to go out of the box.

greywolf2112
03-31-11, 17:07
So you guys see no reason to go with ion bonded, or Fail Zero, or any of the other wonder finishes (like the AR15Performance, POF, etc.)?

greywolf2112
03-31-11, 17:08
Exactly.

Is there a particular reason why the T2 Tungsten weight buffers and CS springs are not recommended for this set up vs. a normal H buffer and USGI spring?

Quentin
03-31-11, 17:13
There's a lot of discussion that the powder weight operates differently than the solid weights in an H or H2 buffer, and that there's no need for the in between weight of the T2. It's really up to you, every application is slightly different.

Nope, no defendable reason to spend more for special BCG finishes.

Iraqgunz
03-31-11, 17:14
I highly recommend them to people who want to spend more money and to those that don't want to do a little cleaning. Other than that I can't see a reason to not go with a standard BCG.

So you guys see no reason to go with ion bonded, or Fail Zero, or any of the other wonder finishes (like the AR15Performance, POF, etc.)?

greywolf2112
03-31-11, 18:11
Thanks, guys. I think I can handle a little cleaning and saving some money - hey, more money to be spent on training classes and ammo -woo hoo!

markm
03-31-11, 18:22
Is there a particular reason why the T2 Tungsten weight buffers and CS springs are not recommended for this set up vs. a normal H buffer and USGI spring?

CS springs just have no business there at all. I put one in my gun once and turned a reliable carbine into a turd. Really... There is a reason that the spec for an M4 doesn't call for a CS spring.

And the Powder buffers flat out don't work as good as real tungsten weighted buffers.

Belmont31R
03-31-11, 18:36
I have tried a couple CS springs, and they had a noticeable increase in felt recoil. If I were to get anymore it would be the Brownells regular CS springs because they are the same 'power' as regular SS springs. Even the blue regular power sprinco springs are much stiffer than a regular spring.

I tend to use standard components because its easier to tell if something is off and pin point any issues. Besides its not like 'regular' parts dont work very well in an AR, and its easier to diagnose a gun thats not filled with odd ball non-standard parts. The non standard parts likely come with a new whole set of possible issues, too.

markm
03-31-11, 18:41
I tend to use standard components because its easier to tell if something is off and pin point any issues. Besides its not like 'regular' parts dont work very well in an AR, and its easier to diagnose a gun thats not filled with odd ball non-standard parts. The non standard parts likely come with a new whole set of possible issues, too.

YOU NAILED IT!!!!

These goobers used to pop up on ARF with a list of every aftermarket piece of shit money could buy!! Diagnosing their gun became a job for the Scientists at NASA.

greywolf2112
03-31-11, 20:21
I have tried a couple CS springs, and they had a noticeable increase in felt recoil. If I were to get anymore it would be the Brownells regular CS springs because they are the same 'power' as regular SS springs. Even the blue regular power sprinco springs are much stiffer than a regular spring.

Makes a lot of sense.

OK, so for a Middy like mine I should just use a regular carbine spring, right?

philipeggo
03-31-11, 23:10
Im curious as well since i too was about to buy a set of sprinco std power springs.

Makes a lot of sense.

OK, so for a Middy like mine I should just use a regular carbine spring, right?