PDA

View Full Version : Help with my new BCM 14.5" Middy Build

wellnerde
03-31-11, 16:28
I just ordered a 14.5" BCM midlength lightweight upper receiver with the pinned FSC 556 compensator. This is only my second rifle build and would like some advice. What are your thoughts on rails for the upper? I was thinking of doing one of the following options:

1. Install a 9" DD Omega that I already own.
2. Install a 9" DD Lite rail
3. Install a 12" DD Lite rail

I like the idea of maintaining the factory front sight base, and a lot of people on this forum seem to prefer it for durability. I plan on adding an Aimpoint T1 at a later date with the 1/3 co-witness mount. What is the weight difference of the stock fsb vs. longer 12" handguards with low profile gas block and flip up sight? Would the weight difference be negligible? I am somewhat concerned about the weight as I would like to keep the rifle as light as possible, but I am more concerned with maintaining a well balanced weapon. I really like the monolithic style and look of the DD lite rail, but am concerned with having to remove the fsb, pinned compensator, and handguard barrel nut.

The lower reciever I will be mounting this on is a BCM lower with a UBR stock.

Quentin
03-31-11, 16:53
Well if you already own a 9" DD Omega why not try it first... Odds are if you want light weight and balance you'd like the 9" Lite better. And of course if you can get by without a rail it's hard to beat the MOE for LW and balance.

wellnerde
03-31-11, 18:23
Well if you already own a 9" DD Omega why not try it first... Odds are if you want light weight and balance you'd like the 9" Lite better. And of course if you can get by without a rail it's hard to beat the MOE for LW and balance.

I currently have the DD Omega mounted on my old upper receiver that I am going to sell, so I can either sell it with that or keep it for my new setup. If you were building a new rifle which rail setup would you go with?

Col_Crocs
03-31-11, 18:42
Question is, do you really need to go beyond a 9" rail, or even a rail at all?
Given that your comp is pinned, I would look at either the Omega or the Centurion C4 rail. Both mount directly onto the standard barrel nut and differ only in that the C4 requires the removal of the delta ring and spring which you can do without disassembling by cutting them off. If you need to go beyond 9", you could shave your fsb down and get a longer C4 rail or you may want to wait for this, if it's not out already.
http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/ca/huge/P104054.jpg

markm
03-31-11, 18:47
I've been somewhat pleased so far with my DD Rail mounted fixed FSB on the 12.0 rail. The increased sight radius is nice.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/CIMG3505.jpg?t=1301615202

wellnerde
03-31-11, 19:29
Question is, do you really need to go beyond a 9" rail, or even a rail at all?
Given that your comp is pinned, I would look at either the Omega or the Centurion C4 rail. Both mount directly onto the standard barrel nut and differ only in that the C4 requires the removal of the delta ring and spring which you can do without disassembling by cutting them off. If you need to go beyond 9", you could shave your fsb down and get a longer C4 rail or you may want to wait for this, if it's not out already.
ohttp://phots.imageevent.com/smglee/ca/huge/P104054.jpg

Thanks for the input! Wow I really like that Centurion C4 rail. It seems like the way it mounts directly to the stock barrel nut it will be a lot more solid than the DD Omega. Plus that means I don't need to remove the fsb or pinned muzzle brake. I think I am going to go with the C4!

From what I found online the weights seem to be as follows:

9" DD Omega Rail - 9.7oz
9" Centurion C4 - 10.6oz

C4 for is somewhat heavier, but not by much. Anyone know the weight of the delta ring and spring?

Also, does the C4 has the same profile as the Omega rail? (i.e. skinnier and taller)

wellnerde
03-31-11, 19:31
I've been somewhat pleased so far with my DD Rail mounted fixed FSB on the 12.0 rail. The increased sight radius is nice.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/CIMG3505.jpg?t=1301615202

I really like that DD fixed FSB that mounts on the rail, looks slick. I need to play around with my current AR some more to see if I have any reason to go with 12" of real estate on the rail.

Cagemonkey
03-31-11, 19:34
I just ordered a 14.5" BCM midlength lightweight upper receiver with the pinned FSC 556 compensator. This is only my second rifle build and would like some advice. What are your thoughts on rails for the upper? I was thinking of doing one of the following options:

1. Install a 9" DD Omega that I already own.
2. Install a 9" DD Lite rail
3. Install a 12" DD Lite rail

I like the idea of maintaining the factory front sight base, and a lot of people on this forum seem to prefer it for durability. I plan on adding an Aimpoint T1 at a later date with the 1/3 co-witness mount. What is the weight difference of the stock fsb vs. longer 12" handguards with low profile gas block and flip up sight? Would the weight difference be negligible? I am somewhat concerned about the weight as I would like to keep the rifle as light as possible, but I am more concerned with maintaining a well balanced weapon. I really like the monolithic style and look of the DD lite rail, but am concerned with having to remove the fsb, pinned compensator, and handguard barrel nut.

The lower reciever I will be mounting this on is a BCM lower with a UBR stock.The fact you have a permed muzzle brake, I'd go with the Centurion Arms 9" rail.

deuce9166
03-31-11, 20:15
BCM front sight base pins are no easy win either. I had to use Thor's hammer to get those things loose. Since then I get uppers with the rail already installed.

wellnerde
04-01-11, 08:47
BCM front sight base pins are no easy win either. I had to use Thor's hammer to get those things loose. Since then I get uppers with the rail already installed.

If it went that route I would probably just take it to a gunsmith to remove, I am still a newbie and I would be afraid to use Thor's hammer on it. Does BCM offer the lightweight barrel with pre-installed free float rails? I didn't see on their website.

Eric D.
04-01-11, 08:59
.....oops

Does BCM offer the lightweight barrel with pre-installed free float rails? I didn't see on their website.