PDA

View Full Version : AK sight options

Anchor Zero Six
03-31-11, 16:42
I have never had any time whatsoever with any of the AK variants however I have decided to that I want one and want to run the hell out of it.

Thanks to the info here esp from Templar I will be purchasing an Arsenal SGL 21 this weekend.

My issue is I have fondled the rifles at the shop and while I consider myself proficent with Irons these things seem like they would suck!

What I hate doing is spending money twice but I dont mind spending it to do it right. So should I go with a dot sight or with better irons?

I like the idea of running the XS sights as I think they would work very well but I think at further distances the large dot would be counterproductive.

The other option would be to go with the MI/USPALM set up with a dual illumination RMR. I dont want an optic reliant on a battery so the DI RMR is the only option for this mount. Previous time with the Trij Reflex was that the do would "wash out" when used in conjunction with a weapon mounted light. Is this still a valid concern or has this been improved upon?

So help a newb out and advise which set up would be the better of the two for all around use from 0-300yds for MOM sized targets in various lighting conditions.

Also can anbody tell me WTF the thread pitch is under the 1.5x24mm RH collar? I'm assuming its threadded but I dont know for sure.

TOrrock
03-31-11, 16:54
The stock sights don't really suck if you consider them as, and treat them like, handgun sights.

I've made solid hits on reduced C zone steel at 200 yards in Vickers' walk back drills, and watched others do the same.

If you're going to go with a red dot, my feeling is that the Ultimak + Aimpoint Micro is still the gold standard of anything currently available.

I would advise against going with XS Big Dots, they suck, and I mean suck the sweat off a dead man's balls, at distance.

The Aimpoint Micro's have battery lives measured in years, I have no problem trusting them on a go-to rifle. They are every bit as tough as the Kalashnikov you're mounting it on. Since you have a 1/3rd co-witness with the factory mount on a Micro, if for some reason shit does go south, you can easily use your irons through the optic.

Take a look at how my Arsenal SLR-106FR is set up to get an idea of where I'm coming from.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=16457

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACcrtrFgDE8&feature=related

96 SS
03-31-11, 17:21
I agree - the Ultimak and Micro is the current standard everything else should be measured against.

For now.

Anchor Zero Six
03-31-11, 23:29
I appreciate the info and I'm not ungreatful for it but...the ultimak kinda seems to go against logic.

Correct me if I'm wrong but dosnt it replace the gas tube? The gas tube on an AK dosnt seem to be a solid attachment point. I was leaning towards the Midwest set up because it clamps to the barrel, granted not optimal but IMO a better solution.

I know you guys have run this set up and I admit I know jack squat about the platform but from a mechanical standpoint wouldnt the MI be better?

What am I missing here?

As for the stock sights I'll give them a fair chance before passing judgment, my assesment was based on mearly fingering one at the shop. So wahat about just a tritium post up front? That is how I run my AR's most of the time.

lloydkristmas
03-31-11, 23:55
I appreciate the info and I'm not ungreatful for it but...the ultimak kinda seems to go against logic.

Correct me if I'm wrong but dosnt it replace the gas tube? The gas tube on an AK dosnt seem to be a solid attachment point. I was leaning towards the Midwest set up because it clamps to the barrel, granted not optimal but IMO a better solution.

I know you guys have run this set up and I admit I know jack squat about the platform but from a mechanical standpoint wouldnt the MI be better?

What am I missing here?

As for the stock sights I'll give them a fair chance before passing judgment, my assesment was based on mearly fingering one at the shop. So wahat about just a tritium post up front? That is how I run my AR's most of the time.

I know it doesnt seem like it should work, but it does, and it does well.

A genuine Aimpoint optic holds up just fine even though the rail replaces the gas tube.

The Ultimak is a nice, low profile solution to red dot cowitness on the AK. Ive never handled a rifle equipped with one of the new MI setups, but it looks like it would be heavier. Just a thought.

Anchor Zero Six
04-01-11, 00:02
Yes weight is a huge concern for me. The appeal of the AK is a uber reliable heavy hitting lightweight platform. Making it heavier than needed isnt an option.

Anchor Zero Six
04-01-11, 00:06
Off topic Bulgarian circle 10 mags or PALM? Price about the same which is better?

lloydkristmas
04-01-11, 00:41
Off topic Bulgarian circle 10 mags or PALM? Price about the same which is better?

Bulgarian

Quinn
04-01-11, 01:02

What am I missing here?

The ultimak gas tube also clamps to the barrel, its very solid

TOrrock
04-01-11, 07:24
The ultimak gas tube also clamps to the barrel, its very solid

This.

The Ultimak clamps to the barrel and is rock solid.

Just_Plain_T.
04-01-11, 07:32
Ultimak is the way to go for any forward-mounted optics on an AK.

There is a new alternative for those looking at more conventionally mounted optics. Texas Weapons Systems has a railed cover that also replaces the rear sight. It's a hinged design that locks at the rear of the receiver. I've seen some tests of it so far that indicates it retains zero, and I know Gabe Suarez has done some testing with it. I ended up buying one, should be here sometime next week and I'll run it through some tests to see how well it works out.

Just another thought.

rojocorsa
04-02-11, 03:15
Speaking of sight options....

What are sight options for "enhanced" iron sights?

I do know that Mojo sights makes a rear peep sight for AKs and SKSs. But I am not sure if that's the only option. Are there other peep sight options?

If it helps, I am thinking about getting an SGL and just upgrading the rear sight.

TOrrock
04-02-11, 07:53
Speaking of sight options....

What are sight options for "enhanced" iron sights?

I do know that Mojo sights makes a rear peep sight for AKs and SKSs. But I am not sure if that's the only option. Are there other peep sight options?

If it helps, I am thinking about getting an SGL and just upgrading the rear sight.

None of the peep sights that I've seen that replace the standard AK sights have been nearly as rugged.

LSK
04-02-11, 09:47
I have not tried it but Rifle Dynamics has a rear sight mod for the AK. It looks like they open up the rear notch. Might be worth a look.

DireWulf
04-02-11, 10:23
I have not tried it but Rifle Dynamics has a rear sight mod for the AK. It looks like they open up the rear notch. Might be worth a look.

I have the Fuller sight mod. For $35.00 it is worth the money to have yours modified. It greatly improved the speed at which I acquire them at close range and they are good out to 200 yards easily. After 200 yards, the wider notch makes aiming a bit more tedious, but still minute-of-torso. Running them with an Ultimak/Aimpoint Micro is the cat's ass. I agree with Templar about peep sights. I tried several and they were a no-go for me. This mod has helped me quite a bit though. De-horning the sharp corners was a nice touch too.

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/4731/202x.jpg (http://img832.imageshack.us/i/202x.jpg/)

http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/2551/203l.jpg (http://img861.imageshack.us/i/203l.jpg/)

rojocorsa
04-02-11, 11:58
Good to know about the non-ruggedness.

Right now, I am pinching pennies for an SGL (made up my mind again for sure), and I don't see myself buying an Ultimak or any red dot any time soon. I'd rather buy ammo.

I guess I'll just man up and use the standard sights like everyone else.

TOrrock
04-02-11, 11:59
Good to know about the non-ruggedness.

Right now, I am pinching pennies for an SGL (made up my mind again for sure), and I don't see myself buying an Ultimak or any red dot any time soon. I'd rather buy ammo.

I guess I'll just man up and use the standard sights like everyone else.

If you can shoot a handgun, you can use the stock AK sights.

CumbiaDude
04-02-11, 20:48
If you can shoot a handgun, you can use the stock AK sights.Hell, I suck at handguns and I still can do AK sights :D

Anchor Zero Six
04-02-11, 22:55
Well I'm a happy camper :)

Picked up the SGL21 yesterday...VERY impressed with the overall quality.

As it turns out today ended up being "AK" day at the shop (DBMG). Had a few in for work so I really got to compare two others to my Arsenal. Devil is in the details but spending some hands on time with the platform I have an entirely new level of respect for the simplicity of the rifle while being 100% utilitarian.

I intended to do a bunch of mods to it but the more I finger it I decided to keep it as simple and practical as I can. So far aside from the rifle I have added a DBMG Tri Rail to mount up a light. Still pondering the rail and optic situation. I'm considering trying one of the Russian Kobra sights, hell if its built like the rifle I should have no worries.

As for the aftermarket sights, any of thr tritium offering worth a look or is it universal that all replacements are less rugged?

Oh one last question, anybody know where I could get plastic replacement lower handguard that is the same shape as the OEM but without the "fins" ?

TOrrock
04-02-11, 23:06
Well I'm a happy camper :)

Picked up the SGL21 yesterday...VERY impressed with the overall quality.

As it turns out today ended up being "AK" day at the shop (DBMG). Had a few in for work so I really got to compare two others to my Arsenal. Devil is in the details but spending some hands on time with the platform I have an entirely new level of respect for the simplicity of the rifle while being 100% utilitarian.

I intended to do a bunch of mods to it but the more I finger it I decided to keep it as simple and practical as I can. So far aside from the rifle I have added a DBMG Tri Rail to mount up a light. Still pondering the rail and optic situation. I'm considering trying one of the Russian Kobra sights, hell if its built like the rifle I should have no worries.

As for the aftermarket sights, any of thr tritium offering worth a look or is it universal that all replacements are less rugged?

Oh one last question, anybody know where I could get plastic replacement lower handguard that is the same shape as the OEM but without the "fins" ?

Kobras are NOT made to the same level of ruggedness. Russian/Belorussian optics are about 20 years behind the best Western optics.

I don't know of any handguards of the same quality with a heat shield that don't have the ribs.

espnazi
04-02-11, 23:17
Just get a ultimak and be done with it. I just installed one on my underfolder and feels extremely solid.
Only question is whether I need to loctite the ultimak screws wouldnt it be inconsequential since the ultimak does heat up a bit and make the loctite runny.

TOrrock
04-02-11, 23:39
And yes, I've tried Kobras (and other East bloc optics).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Arsenal%20SLR-106FR/NewBulgarianHotness001.jpg

They suck.

Anchor Zero Six
04-02-11, 23:47
Lame that sucks but I appreciate the heads up. I guess my expectations were along the lines of IOR, crude but functional.

Ultimak and T-1 it is then.