PDA

View Full Version : replacing stock on Colt M4

mrtke423
03-31-11, 19:47
I am in the process of replacing the stock on my Colt M4 LE. I have been having trouble removing the castle nut from the stock. I have tried with the tool and it didn't move. I then sprayed some break free on both sides and let it sit over night. the castle nut will still not turn. This is the original stock that came on the gun, so I'm guessing Colt uses some major torque! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
thanks

Rmplstlskn
03-31-11, 19:54
Colt STAKES their castle nuts, as they should do... Look closely at the inside (closest to charging handle) of the castle nut. You will see two or three little dimples on the corner edge. See if the plate the nut holds in place has been staked. You will need a small punch to move that staking out of the dimple. Once the staking is removed it should unscrew without too much effort...

Here is a thread about staking... Removing the stake is often trickier...
Staking Comparison (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6994&highlight=staking)

Rmpl

Iraqgunz
03-31-11, 20:08
Can you tell us which tool you are using to remove it? I can highly recommend the Hammerhead AR tool- http://hammerheadrifletool.com/HammerHead_Rifle_Tool/HammerHead_Rifle_Tool_Home.html

Also, I cannot stress this enough. You need to secure the lower in a vise properly in order to remove it. If you dick around you run the risk of damaging it.

mrtke423
03-31-11, 22:24
I was using a tapco castle nut tool that I bought at Cheaper than Dirt. I had it in a vise and it wouldnt move. I will try looking for those stakes.
Thanks for the advice!

PlatoCATM
03-31-11, 22:38
Unless you have some seriously awesome plans for a rifle in mind, I would suggest leaving the mechanics of the rifle the way you bought it. You can do what you want with it, but there are modifications to the furniture that can be made that will leave the superior mechanics of the Colt system as is. This basic system, even with upgraded furniture, is still the standard and good for learners and experts alike.

Iraqgunz
03-31-11, 22:47
May I ask why you are removing the entire RE? How are you locking the lower in the vise?

Unless you are skilled enough to break the stakings with a tool, I would get the correct tool as I indicated above. If you put it on the nut and apply steady pressure it will break the stakings loose.

I was using a tapco castle nut tool that I bought at Cheaper than Dirt. I had it in a vise and it wouldnt move. I will try looking for those stakes.
Thanks for the advice!

ucrt
03-31-11, 22:57

What stock are you going to install?

Belmont31R
03-31-11, 23:01
Secure upper, use a tool that engages at least 3 slots on the castle nut, and use a big rubber mallet to tap the tool. Make sure the castle nut tool is square and in good engagement with the slots on the castle nut.

If that doesn't work to loosen it put a pipe over the handle on the tool and use it like a breaker bar.

Lnxgeek
03-31-11, 23:02
If you just want to replace the original stock with another one, you do not need to remove the Receiver Extension or the Castle Nut.

To remove the stock pull down on the adjustment piece, while holding it down, slide the stock off to the back.

Reverse the instructions to install your new stock.

JChops
03-31-11, 23:02
Sounds like he wants to swap stocks, not tubes.

mrtke423, you can actually pull the lever on the bottom of your Colt M4 stock in the opposite direction as you would normally when you adjust it, and pull it off the rear of your rifle.

So you basically want to do this:

1. Pull down on the front of the stock lever—don't be afraid to pull with some force.
2. Slide the stock off the rear of the tube as you are pulling it down.

You can slide your new stock on the extension in the opposite way, without removing the factory staking or taking off the tube.

Dunderway
03-31-11, 23:11
Sounds like he wants to swap stocks, not tubes.

mrtke423, you can actually pull the lever on the bottom of your Colt M4 stock in the opposite direction as you would normally when you adjust it, and pull it off the rear of your rifle.

So you basically want to do this:

1. Pull down on the front of the stock lever—don't be afraid to pull with some force.
2. Slide the stock off the rear of the tube as you are pulling it down.

You can slide your new stock on the extension in the opposite way, without removing the factory staking or taking off the tube.

This is what I was wondering. Unless the OP is going to an A1/A2 or UBR type stock there is no reason to remove that high quality Colt buffer tube.

philipeggo
03-31-11, 23:35
Admittedly im not very mechanically inclined. About the only thing i can do on my own gun is clean it and swap stocks. other than that im pretty much lost. That being said dont kill me me for asking but all those pictures in the thread look the same to me. I noticed that some of the notches lined up but thats it. what am i missing? Sorry for derailing this thread :confused:

Colt STAKES their castle nuts, as they should do... Look closely at the inside (closest to charging handle) of the castle nut. You will see two or three little dimples on the corner edge. See if the plate the nut holds in place has been staked. You will need a small punch to move that staking out of the dimple. Once the staking is removed it should unscrew without too much effort...

Here is a thread about staking... Removing the stake is often trickier...
Staking Comparison (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6994&highlight=staking)

Rmpl

Dunderway
03-31-11, 23:37
Admittedly im not very mechanically inclined. About the only thing i can do on my own gun is clean it and swap stocks. other than that im pretty much lost. That being said dont kill me me for asking but all those pictures in the thread look the same to me. I noticed that some of the notches lined up but thats it. what am i missing? Sorry for derailing this thread :confused:

Look closely at the notches facing the receiver. Some have metal from the receiver plate displaced into them a varying degrees, and some do not.

Belmont31R
03-31-11, 23:40

You are looking for metal from the end plate being displaced into the little notches on the castle nut. The displaced metal keeps the castle nut from rotating off. The castle nut should be torqued enough it wont come off on its own but staking is a secondary measure to ensure the castle nut does not loosen.

You can use a punch, center punch, or really anything that will 'smash' metal from the end plate into the notches on the castle nut. I personally use a small nail punch and a light ball peen hammer to do mine.