PDA

View Full Version : New AR owner

SAWFISH
03-31-11, 21:31
I need to learn to stay away from the local gun shop. I went there on Monday to look around for the hell of it and went back today to put a Daniel Defense M4 V1 in layaway. I had no thoughts of buying one of these until the saleman did his job and sold me on the fact that I needed one..... The only reason that I did not get it 3 days ago was I had to do some research on them first. After reading alot of posts on this forum and not reading anything to negative about it I made the plunge. I know I could have got one alot cheaper than this but I could have also spent alot more too. For some reason this one just looked right. It looks like I will be spending more time on this forum reading about this new line of hobby of mine.

DirectDrive
03-31-11, 21:36
That's a very nice weapon.
Congrats !

Packman73
03-31-11, 22:49
First, welcome.
Second, nice rifle.

Jim243
03-31-11, 23:38
Welcome and congratulation, it is a nice rifle.

Jim

jdgiii
04-01-11, 00:25
Well done friend.

seronian
04-01-11, 01:30
greetings...xlnt rifle.

Silver_2325
04-01-11, 01:37
Sounds like your salesman is a squared away dude, a lot better than most "salesmen" for sure. You will be happy with your purchase.

Athirst5IoN
04-01-11, 08:22
SAWFISH, where do you live? All of the local gun store owners around me try and talk me into getting their over priced DPMS stuff all the time. On a couple of occasions I've talked with them about DD, BCM, LMT, etc. and they have no idea what I'm talking about.

SAWFISH
04-01-11, 09:20
SAWFISH, where do you live? All of the local gun store owners around me try and talk me into getting their over priced DPMS stuff all the time. On a couple of occasions I've talked with them about DD, BCM, LMT, etc. and they have no idea what I'm talking about.

I live in Jackson, MI. They sell other brands also but told me that I would get the most bang for my buck on this one.

Athirst5IoN
04-01-11, 09:22
well nice rifle. I'm looking into getting a DD myself, that or BCM

Quentin
04-01-11, 09:25
Nice first AR! It's encouraging to hear some LGS are stocking the better brands and know something about the platform.

usmcvet
04-01-11, 10:01
Excellent purchase. You did it right the first time.

bullittmcqueen
04-01-11, 10:36
Good job doing a little research before your purchase. A lot of times guys jump on the first thing they see without doing some background. You got a great gun. Enjoy.:D

SAWFISH
04-01-11, 10:48
Thanks for all the positive feedback. It was kind of hard to swallow pulling the trigger on the purchase when I see Cabelas has a different manufacturer for half the price. But from what I read on here it was a no brainer, and I would rather spend the extra money up front to get a better quality product so that if I ever decide to sell it I can re-coupe my $$$ easier.

Beat Trash
04-01-11, 10:59
Welcome to the forum.

When spending this amount of money on your first AR, it's easy to get "buyers remorse" after you take the plunge. Especially if you're still educating yourself on the topic.

I just deleted about two paragraphs.

The short version of what I was going to say is that you made a good choice. There won't be any reason to regret your choice down the road.

trappernana
04-01-11, 14:14
Don't regret it . You did awesome. I usually say " Luck is for those who don't prepare." Sounds like you had a little of both! Enjoy and congrats!!!!!:cool:

SteadyUp
04-01-11, 14:52
Welcome and excellent weapon choice!

The Cat
04-01-11, 16:36
Welcome to M4C!

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/ncc1984/Funnies/youchosewisely.jpg

usmcvet
04-01-11, 19:47
That rail added to the cost too. When you add up everything that comes with that gun you did well. Have you looked at the 12 O'clock light mounts? Considered a SureFire X300 that rail provides the perfect spot for one.

dew4au
04-01-11, 23:35
Welcome. It's always good to see LGS carrying quality. Both of my LGS top out at S&W MP15 and are 90% Bushy, Stag, and DPMS.

Don't worry so much about what you can put on that rail. Focus on ammo and training.

Oh, an lots of people post on here for validation on their purchases, but you seem to have lucked out and picked a good rifle. Consider yourself fortunate, others have not fared so well!

strambo
04-02-11, 07:52
You done good. I'm impressed they had a DD and that is what they talked you into. I second the x300 suggestion. I recently upgraded to one and they are awesome.

SAWFISH
04-02-11, 08:57
Thanks again to everyone. I am feeling much better about dropping this much coin on my first AR. Not that it makes much difference at this point in time, do you think I got a fair price on the weapon at $1330.00 plus tax ?? I was hard to get them to come down on the price when they say they have no problem selling them at their regular price.

usmcvet
04-02-11, 09:08
I've never priced that gun but like I said with the DD rail you must have added a few hundred bucks to the base price. Did it come with anything else? Sling, mag or a fore grip? That all adds up too. Many have paid that price for a lower quality gun. You probably have a hammer forged bbl too. I paid an extra $100 for that on an upper.

SAWFISH
04-02-11, 09:22
It came with the 30rd mag, the fore grip, a hard case, 2 boxes of ammo and I almost have them talked into a extra mag. He did say that the rail was the better one (omega).
Here is what it all has per DD's web site.
•Lower Receiver: Mil-Spec with Enhanced Flared Magazine Well and Rear Receiver QD Swivel Attachment Point
•Upper Receiver: Mil-Spec with Indexing Marks and M4 Feed Ramps
•Barrel: Chrome Moly Vanadium Steel, Cold Hammer Forged, 1:7 twist, 16″ M4 Profile, Carbine Gas System, Chrome Lined, MP tested, and Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate coated
•Chamber: 5.56 NATO
•Flash Hider: A2 Birdcage Flash Hider
•Bolt Carrier Group: Mil-Spec MP Tested, Properly Staked Gas Key
•Buffer: H Buffer
•Sights: Daniel Defense A1.5 Fixed Rear Sight; Pinned “F” Marked Front Sight Base
•Handguard: Daniel Defense Omega X Rail™ 12.0 FSP
•Buttstock: MAGPUL MOE Buttstock & Mil-Spec Receiver Extension
•Magazine: MAGPUL 30 round PMag in Black
•Vertical Grip: Daniel Defense A2 Styling Vertical Grip
•Case: Comes with Custom Daniel Defense Full-Latch Impact Plastic Case
•Made in the USA!

usmcvet
04-02-11, 09:24
You did well on the price and the gun.