PDA

View Full Version : Optic for hunting rifle...AccuPoint?

Blinking Dog
04-01-11, 09:12
I am going to replace the old scope on my Remington 700 .30/'06 and my first inclination is to stick with a duplex reticle, thinking hard about a Leupold VX-III. This rifle is typically a deer rifle, hunting from an elevated blind. So from that perspective the Leupold should work fine.

However, I am going to hunt in Africa next year and I intend to use this rifle on plains game. What I hear and read is that my shots will likely average 150 yards and in. The important aspect is getting on target and breaking a shot quickly. That makes me think an AccuPoint like the TR20 3-9x40 with the post and triangle would be a good choice. I fondled one at a shop and liked it, and have read some favorable reviews, but I don't personally know anyone who has hunted with one.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Belmont31R
04-01-11, 10:02
Another member did a review on the Leupold Fire-Dot. Worth checking out.

I think the Trijicon would work, too.

Good luck on your hunt. When I was a teenager hunting Africa was an obsession for me. I used to wear safari shirts and Courtney boots to school...:cool:

shootist~
04-01-11, 10:52
Don't some of the TR series have reticle washout when shooting from shaded/dim light into bright light?

Not sure if this applies to your model or not, but shooting into the West near end of day should be a consideration for any hunting reticle - (as well as good visibility in dim light). The classic heavy duplex is pretty hard to beat.

ICANHITHIMMAN
04-01-11, 10:52
If your going to keep all shots in side 300 yards the trijicon would be hard to beat. If your anticipating alot of fast close range shots a Horus Talon would also be a great option.

Blinking Dog
04-01-11, 11:45
Another member did a review on the Leupold Fire-Dot. Worth checking out.

I think the Trijicon would work, too.

Good luck on your hunt. When I was a teenager hunting Africa was an obsession for me. I used to wear safari shirts and Courtney boots to school...:cool:

I was thinking about the firedot too, but it is built on Leupold's VX-II glass and I'm not sure about the trade-off of getting the lesser glass with an illuminated dot...or get the better glass VX-III with no illumination. I was thinking - for the price - the AccuPoint has both.

Africa has been a dream of mine for pretty much all my life. It is going to be one hell of a 40th birthday present. And, for the record, I wear safari shirts and crap at my age still... :D