PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a Geissele triggers?

cvriv
04-01-11, 09:20
I just got my BCM lower and love it. Its very nice. The trigger is nice,... but needs some work. Its brand spankin new and feels gritty. Its has a nice sharp break,... but I feel a lot of resistance or friction when pulling the trigger back. I could get in there and mod the trigger nicely,... polishing it up etc and I bet it would be a lot better after that. BUT! Would it be worth it just to get a Geissele trigger instead?!?! I head they are THAT great. I was thinking about getting the SSA-E. What do you guys think? I know some guys that like the stock trigger because it's safer. I know guy how like the Geissele because its just a better trigger. So what do you guy think?

markm
04-01-11, 09:35
Modifying the existing parts is just asking for trouble. There's hacks that many of the Arftards send their parts to for the job... and get double fires a few months down the road. I think you'd really need to re-surface harden and refinish the parts to make it right.

The Geissele triggers are friggin nice. I personally am fine with the GI trigger, but we put 3 Geisseles into a guy's guns and they were pretty sweet.

I don't know which two models he selected though.

Marty916
04-01-11, 09:36
You won't go wrong with a Geissele trigger. I am probably the worlds second worst shot, right behind my dog, and found that the change to a Geissele SSA tightened my typical 3.0"-4.0"" group at 100 yards to about 1.5"-2.0" with no other changes, modifications or practice. The difference in feel between SSA and stock triggers was quite pronounced, a measurable improvement. Is it robust enough for tactical use? I can't answer to this but so far I have had no reliability issues what so ever.

markm
04-01-11, 09:41
They are a very fast trigger. I forget the exact time savings, but they are remarkable. The downside is they are pricey.

CoryCop25
04-01-11, 09:46
The are well worth the price due to quality and durability. I recommend the SSA-E and the SD-E (flat trigger).

Belmont31R
04-01-11, 09:50
How is the stock trigger safer? Geisseles are being used in military guns like the Mk12 with the DMR trigger, and the SSF trigger is being used in SOPMOD guns now.

They are a great improvement over most stock triggers. The issue with stock triggers is they are not consistent in feel or pull weight. Some are literally 10lbs with lots of grit and others feel pretty crisp around 6lbs. You never know what you are going to get...like Forest Gump with some chocolates.

Never modify a trigger....and Mark is right about that. I've read numerous accounts of people sending their triggers off to get back non working dangerous triggers that like to cause the gun to spit multiple rounds down range at a time.

cvriv
04-01-11, 09:50
Ok. I originally planned on getting one but thought maybe not?!?! Teh stock isnt that bad but,... its not perfect. everyone says the same thing about the geissele's so i think I'll add one to the list. I think it will be either the SSA or the SSA-E for me.

Belmont31R
04-01-11, 09:53
Ok. I originally planned on getting one but thought maybe not?!?! Teh stock isnt that bad but,... its not perfect. everyone says the same thing about the geissele's so i think I'll add one to the list. I think it will be either the SSA or the SSA-E for me.

I would get the SSA (or Super Dynamic Combat) for general purpose use. Only the SSA-E (or Super Dynamic Enhanced) for a precision oriented rig. Super Dynamic 3 gun for a super fast trigger that feels more like a single stage.

The Super Dynamic triggers have a flat trigger face instead of curved, and I think it makes for a better finger to trigger interface than the traditional curved triggers.

NavyDavy55
04-01-11, 10:30
I have a Geissele Super Semi-Automatic (SSA) on one of my AR's and plan to put another in my next build.

I love that trigger!

PRGGodfather
04-01-11, 11:09
Definitely one of the very best in breed, and one that is reliable, rugged and dependable for hard use and high round counts. I have used them for several 500-1,000 round a day classes and demos without failure. The only one we will carry on our site.

SteveL
04-01-11, 11:14
MidwayUSA still has the SD-C on sale for $170 if you're interested in that model at all. It's the one I put in the rifle I'm building, but since the rifle isn't finished yet I haven't had a chance to try it out.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=913739

SA80Dan
04-01-11, 11:33
MidwayUSA still has the SD-C on sale for $170 if you're interested in that model at all. It's the one I put in the rifle I'm building, but since the rifle isn't finished yet I haven't had a chance to try it out.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=913739

Big +1 recommendation on this trigger. I have not gotten around 1000 rounds on mine now and it really is fantastic. One of my other rifles has one of the best stock triggers in it that I have ever used.....but after getting used to the SD-C, it feels pretty poor! And as mentioned above, I also think the flat faced trigger design is excellent and really works well.

Darn it with Midway extending that deal.....I may end up with another one....

glocktogo
04-01-11, 11:40
I have an SSA and a SSF. It really hurts to pay that price for a trigger (or two in my case), but it's money you'll never regret spending once you've done it.

browneu
04-01-11, 13:00
I have the SD-C in one build and should have another arriving today. They are some of the best triggers I've had.

The first stage is smooth and the second stage reminds me of a good 1911 trigger.

You won't regret getting one.

cvriv
04-01-11, 14:05
Awesome. Ill check out the SD-C and see what that about. So either the SSA or the SD-C. Thanks guys.

DTHN2LGS
04-01-11, 14:12
On the Geissele site look for the Trigger Summary Sheet. On it you'll see the SSA has a "Crane NSWC Safety Certification", the SSA-E does not, nor does the SD-C. I just bought an SSA-E for a precision gun, and and am going to replace the "B.S." trigger job on the stock trigger on my carbine with an SSA when funds allow.

Iraq Ninja
04-01-11, 14:57
Great trigger, but do YOU need it. How much experience and training do you have with the stock trigger?

It is one thing for someone who is experienced to upgrade their trigger, but it may not be a good idea for a novice. Becoming proficient with the stock trigger will give you confidence if you ever have to use anything besides a match one.

Your fundamentals will be stronger if you start off with a stock trigger.

Coastiejohn
04-01-11, 17:10
I shot the sd 3gun on a friends gun and fell in love. Pinching my pennies now so i can get one.

Duffy
04-01-11, 17:19
Great triggers and service. Bill's triggers are not cheap, but then neither are other triggers in the same league ;)

Rmplstlskn
04-01-11, 17:51
They suck worse than sabre-toothed whores!

April fools... :suicide2:

Rmpl

dmcutter
04-01-11, 20:49
I have an SSA in one of my guns and an LMT 2 stage in the other. The SSA is noticeably smoother in the first stage. Head and shoulders above a typical stock single stage.

DOA
04-01-11, 22:15
I ordered the SSA after reading all the reviews I could. I have considerable trigger time with the stock trigger and my other build has the updated Chip McCormick. The CM is a nice trigger but has too light of a reset for my comfort level on a non benched gun.

blgjr64
04-01-11, 22:42
Just put the SSA on my M&P15 and WOW it was worth the money. The feel is night and day compared to the stock trigger. I picked the SSA because I wanted something that was reliable no matter what, and just plain worked. If our sf boys use them and work with no problems, that's the reliability I can trust. Personally I would go with the SSA because its very smooth, fits most situations (CQB and mid-length engagements), built like a rock, and the price is not SUPER crazy. $170 is worth every penny. But it's your gun and do what you think is best.

If all goes as planned tom I am supposed to go to the range. Can't wait to see how it really preforms. If I get range time tom I'll let you know how it goes.

Cesiumsponge
04-01-11, 23:52
Buy once, cry once.

I've had the hi-speed national match DMR trigger on my Mk12 build for two or more years now. Geissele must be doing something right. When I bought my DMR trigger, I think the SSA's weren't released yet and had no other product line I recall. Now they've greatly expanded their product line. I haven't tried everything out there but it's the best feeling bang button I've come across. I haven't come across folks that are having these triggers fail but you'll see a lot of mentions of other brands of precision triggers which have failed, or two-stage triggers magically becoming one-stage or a mushfest.

Once I get this next rig built, I'm getting an SSA installed. I'm not sure if you have a local dealer that stocks Geissele, but Rainier has them installed on dummy lowers so you can try out the trigger pulls on their products. It's a great way to feel the difference between the triggers versus reading accounts over the internet.

MistWolf
04-02-11, 05:22
The Geisselle SSA-E is the trigger I wish I could install in ALL my self loading rifles.

The SSA is the trigger I would start beginner shooters with.

The only complaint I have about these triggers is the long reset, but it's a very minor one

SirPeasant
04-02-11, 05:46
After reading the following sentence "... the SSA has a "Crane NSWC Safety Certification", the SSA-E does not, nor does the SD-C."
I was all set to go with the SSA.

The Geisselle SSA-E is the trigger I wish I could install in ALL my self loading rifles.
The SSA is the trigger I would start beginner shooters with.

WHY is the SSA for beginners and what is your reason for liking the SSA-E better.
I'll hold off my purchase till you hopefully answer.

My other choice was the Wilson combat trigger. Even more expensive than the above.
Any input you have on the Wilson would sure be appreciated.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=31705/Product/AR_15_M16_TACTICAL_TRIGGER_UNIT

ALCOAR
04-02-11, 06:36
The SD-C is a far superior trigger than the SSA imho...the only reason it doesn't have the crane safety cert. is because it's basically brand new. Its a totally refined SSA in every respect of the trigger's pull.

Every GA trigger is hand rolled with the up most love and care, all are designed from the ground up with not only amazing feeling pulls, but more importantly with reliability and safety in mind...hints why GA's trigger lineup features so many 2 stage vs. single stage trigger designs.

The Super Dynamic triggers are the stars of the show imho.

A $125 give or take GA trigger will avail. hopefully w/in a few weeks called the S2S which will be a dynamite option for tons of people.

Lastly, the people behind GA triggers are second to none...PERIOD!

The SSA is up top...the Super Dynamic Enhanced (SDE) is on bottom:
http://i54.tinypic.com/1zx3z1e.jpg

SirPeasant
04-02-11, 08:59
Hey Trident,
That SD combat trigger is $100 less that the Wilson combat trigger.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=31705/Product/AR_15_M16_TACTICAL_TRIGGER_UNIT
If you got a moment please visit the link above and let me know what you feel is the better of the two.

browneu
04-02-11, 09:18
The trigger kit comes with a slave pin. Remember to keep the slave pin as it will make it easier to dissassemble and reassemble.

ALCOAR
04-02-11, 10:19
Hey Trident,
That SD combat trigger is $100 less that the Wilson combat trigger.
If you got a moment please visit the link above and let me know what you feel is the better of the two.

I have read some good things about the Wilson combat trigger however I don't own one.

I honestly believe that the SD-C/E are easily the finest AR triggers made to date that Ive ever used. I could spend days trying to find the smallest of things I disliked or would change about the units all for not....they are perfect in my book:)

check out this thread.....
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=936969#post936969
and this one...
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=70842&page=2

stevie
04-02-11, 10:46
Excellent triggers, worth the price. I am gradually removing the GI Type triggers and replacing with Geissele.

EzGoingKev
04-02-11, 11:10
I have fired Colt, Bushmaster, and my Geissele SSA triggers.

Based on that I would say the original triggers are like McDonald's angus and the Geissele is real angus from a great restaurant.

Lucky Strike
04-02-11, 12:03
I've got an SSA in my rifle and if I accumulate more ARs they will all get them as well.

My buddy has the SSA-E....it's great too but I like the SSA better...maybe because i'm really used to it. Can't go wrong with either.

WELL WORTH THE MONEY!!

TehLlama
04-02-11, 20:25
If you don't have the cash to equip every lower you own with one, I would actually take a second to consider trying them - but try anyway.

I'm so happy with the SSA, I'm reluctant to try anything else. My groups with my SPR got halved, so my opinion may not be worth all that much, but it's very much in favor.

OldState
04-02-11, 22:10
There is a big gun show near me that I went to today. One of the few vendors with quality stuff had a few Geissele triggers in a jig so you could feel them. I tried the SSA and National Match. Both were excellent; the National Match being lighter and crisper.

If you can find a place that has a setup where you can try them out I would take advantage of it.

My previous experience with triggers are with Bulls Eye 1911's. I am used to super crisp 3-4lb triggers so the National Match doesn't seem light to me.

This forum is obviously geared towards "fighting" ARs and many feel 3-4lbs is dangerously light for stressful applications. The SSA felt a bit heavier and was slightly less crisp.

Bonus for me is that I recently realized that Geissele Company is 5 miles from my house and I heard you can go there and they will sell you a trigger. I am hoping they have a setup where I can try all their stuff.:)

Globemaster
04-02-11, 22:25
the GeisseleŽ SSA ... I picked up (3) sets at SS, they're an outstanding FCG :)

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac314/AR15_Oly1/DSCN5967.jpg

MistWolf
04-02-11, 23:19
...WHY is the SSA for beginners and what is your reason for liking the SSA-E better.
I'll hold off my purchase till you hopefully answer...[/url]

What I like about the SSA-E is that it's light and crisp, and being as crisp as it is, the break feels even lighter. It also has very little back lash. If a non-adjustable trigger this good was made available in a bolt action rifle from the factory, you'd hear about it from every rooftop. The fact it's made for a self loading rifle, particularly the AR, amazes me.

The SSA feels the same except it has a break that's heavier and not as crisp. Whereas the SSA-E simply breaks, the SSA feels like the corner was rounded a bit. It requires a deliberate press to break the shot and it's less likely that an inexperienced finger taking up the slack of the first stage will miss feeling the second stage, unintentionally setting off the rifle. Combined with the fact it's very, very consistent (as is the SSA-E) makes it the perfect trigger for beginning shooters to gain confidence in their ability to control the trigger and allows them to focus on fundamentals.

Do not take this to mean I feel the SSA-E is only for expert or experienced shooters. Just that I feel the SSA makes a better trigger for the beginner

El Pistolero
04-03-11, 06:54
I have an Geissele SSA in my BCM rifle and without a doubt it has made my shooting improve dramatically as much as quality optics. I love the feel of the trigger and it's just amazing every time I use it, very crisp, clean, and light feeling to it. They are pricey but my justification for it is that you will get a return on your investment each and every time you fire your rifle. $180 well spent for me.

cvriv
04-03-11, 07:27
I ended up buying the ssa. Thanks guys.

LRB45
04-03-11, 13:14
Got a quick question on the Geisselle triggers.

What kind of round counts will these triggers last for? Being that they are a two stage is there a point in which the two stage will become like a single stage?

Seems like I have read somewhere that some other two stage triggers eventually become glorified single stage.

Thanks

Belmont31R
04-03-11, 13:22
Got a quick question on the Geisselle triggers.

What kind of round counts will these triggers last for? Being that they are a two stage is there a point in which the two stage will become like a single stage?

Seems like I have read somewhere that some other two stage triggers eventually become glorified single stage.

Thanks

I've never heard of one going single stage.

The ones that break down quickly were junk to begin with.

Surf
04-03-11, 13:30
Great trigger, but do YOU need it. How much experience and training do you have with the stock trigger?

It is one thing for someone who is experienced to upgrade their trigger, but it may not be a good idea for a novice. Becoming proficient with the stock trigger will give you confidence if you ever have to use anything besides a match one.

Your fundamentals will be stronger if you start off with a stock trigger.I agree here and think that it is worth reading again.

I hold the stance that a new shooter will have all of the fundamentals stressed even moreso with a stock trigger as the trigger will enhance any deficiencies and force you to focus more and maintain all of the correct fundamentals throughout the trigger pull. IMO it will be a more difficult path, but eventually the shooter will be much better off in the long run. Someone who has mastered a stock trigger will pick anything up and do even better. Start someone out on a match type or light breaking trigger and they will have a very hard time trying to use something stock and often their overall fundamentals are not as sharp. I see it all the time in shooters who start off their learning curve with a red dot and a light trigger. The foundation isn't as sound as it could be and their overall shooting usually shows it.

Having said the above, I think that the Geissele triggers are best in their class, but I personally do not find the advantage unless if I am shooting for precision with magnified optics at a distance. Battle rifles and I will spend my money elsewhere. Distance precision weapons and I like a match single or two stage trigger and again the Geissele are the best ones out there.

M4Fundi
04-03-11, 15:37
cvriv
Not trying to ding you, but the Geissele triggers quality and specifics on each model have been covered in GREAT DETAIL in MANY previous threads.

When you do not do proper searches and read those threads first before posting this question you are doing "yourself" and the forum a disservice.

Reason is
First that many quality members with much experience are not going to repost for your lack of searching effort and you are going to get an abbreviated amount of info on your question (there are 94 pages of post lists with Geissele in the title!Some with detailed youtube videos to watch)
Second it wastes the time of members who have to constantly answer this question over and over.

Please search first as this will give you much more information and give you the chance to ask a more detailed and educated question. You have 3 pages of info in this thread and there is countless pages of even more detailed info out there to help you.

I love Geissele triggers and know you will be happy with which ever one you choose!

GLOCKMASTER
04-03-11, 15:43
cvriv
Not trying to ding you, but the Geissele triggers quality and specifics on each model have been covered in GREAT DETAIL in MANY previous threads.

When you do not do proper searches and read those threads first before posting this question you are doing "yourself" and the forum a disservice.

Reason is
First that many quality members with much experience are not going to repost for your lack of searching effort and you are going to get an abbreviated amount of info on your question (there are 94 pages of post lists with Geissele in the title!)
Second it wastes the time of members who have to constantly answer this question over and over.

Please search first as this will give you much more information and give you the chance to ask a more detailed and educated question. You have 3 pages of info in this thread and there is countless pages of even more detailed info out there to help you.

My thoughts exactly!!