PDA

View Full Version : M&P Mag. fall out?

BCmJUnKie
04-01-11, 11:09
So I picked up my LONG awaited M&P last week....LOVE it. Transitioned from an XD to this. So I carry in the middle of back with a Blackhawk! IWB left handed holster. I noticed that sometimes when I pull it out the Mag catch is not engaged, due to the release pushing against my waistband, seat etc. Anyone else notice this? or have that happen? Its kinda scary knowing if I have to pull it, I have to "tap" first

SteveL
04-01-11, 11:18
So you're carrying in a left handed holster? Is the mag release button still set up for right handed use? If so it sounds like you may benefit by swapping it over for left handed use.

markm
04-01-11, 11:22
Yeah... that's not going to work. Change holsters or reverse the mag release button.

kdcgrohl
04-01-11, 11:24
So you're carrying in a left handed holster? Is the mag release button still set up for right handed use? If so it sounds like you may benefit by swapping it over for left handed use.

A left handed holster in the middle of the back would be for right hand use I would think.

markm
04-01-11, 11:26
A left handed holster in the middle of the back would be for right hand use I would think.

I positions the mag release to get hit by anything you back up against.

SteveL
04-01-11, 11:28

I was a little confused by that so hopefully the OP will clarify for us.

BCmJUnKie
04-01-11, 11:31
Thats my bad...sorry guys. Okay so I have always carried a left handed holster in the middle of my back, I am RIGHT handed. Not sure if anyone ever has tried this but its ALOT more comfortable to draw like this. The TOP of your hand will be against your back and you have better movement when pulling up

BCmJUnKie
04-01-11, 11:33
I positions the mag release to get hit by anything you back up against.

I think this is exactly what is happening, the M&P has a really nice and smooth Mag release. I have to say I am in LOVE with this pistol. Its all thanks to you guys. The thread is titled XD to M&P I believe?

SteveL
04-01-11, 11:35
Thats my bad...sorry guys. Okay so I have always carried a left handed holster in the middle of my back, I am RIGHT handed. Not sure if anyone ever has tried this but its ALOT more comfortable to draw like this. The TOP of your hand will be against your back and you have better movement when pulling up

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately it sounds like you may need to try another method of carry to prevent the mag from constantly being released.

BCmJUnKie
04-01-11, 11:39
I really hate to change my carry method. I have been carrying the same way for around 5 years now. I gotta figure something out though. Thats not good. I guess il just have to be careful about sitting against hard surfaces or leaning against stuff

Rosco Benson
04-01-11, 12:27

This is what is called a "cavalry draw". It is difficulty to draw in this manner and not have the muzzle sweep one's body. Probably not a good idea.

Rosco

skyugo
04-01-11, 12:32
you could file down the mag release a bit if you can't figure anything else out. a mag release's primary duty imho is mag retention.

JSantoro
04-01-11, 12:36

It is, and it practically guarantees that the user is flagging his own flank with the muzzle of the gun every time he draws, because the gun has to turn as it comes around the 9 o'clock side, from the butt facing to the right to the butt facing to the rear. Many who do this never realize that they're not rotating the gun along the barrel's axis with the barrel pointed at the turf as they bring it forward, and are instead sweeping the muzzle....right at the same level as their kidneys or hips, or into and along the IT Band of the leg.

I dunno of that's the case or not, but the chances of it happening are in the high percentages...

...unless taking enough time to ensure otherwise...which means that the draws are slower than they ought to be, and almost absolutely slower than they could otherwise be.

The idea of carting a pistol around as described here...releasing the magazine is waaaay low on the list of potential worries, as drawing presents what I'd think of as some major considerations in regard to managin one's body movements and mechanics.

In terms of the mag popping, yeah, if you sit or lean against a reasonably hard surface, the chances of actuating the mag release are higher from that angle, particularly versus having it facing one's arguably softer flesh. What material is the holster. Saying Blackhawk doesn't immediately mean SERPA, since they make nylon and leather holsters, too. Is the release exposed, or is it shrouded and getting hit, anyway?

Dave G
04-01-11, 12:47
I'm a lefty and mag release made me nervous too. The only "tapping" you will hear is mag on ground. I have switched the release over to the other side. I hated it at first but with practice dry and live fire I don't notice much of a time difference between using my thumb and when I use my middle finger. In fact I like it so much I am re-evaluating my glock situation and may switch to Gen 4s so I can have the reversable mag release.

If it's still a problem for you I would re-think your holster choice/gun choice. Maybe trade that M&P for something like a Walther P99 which in my opinion is a fantastic option for lefties. Obviously the cheapest option here is try reversing the mag catch and give it a shot.

BCmJUnKie
04-02-11, 11:15
[QUOTE=JSantoro;957461
In terms of the mag popping, yeah, if you sit or lean against a reasonably hard surface, the chances of actuating the mag release are higher from that angle, particularly versus having it facing one's arguably softer flesh. What material is the holster. Saying Blackhawk doesn't immediately mean SERPA, since they make nylon and leather holsters, too. Is the release exposed, or is it shrouded and getting hit, anyway?[/QUOTE]

Its the blackhawk nylon type. It has no retention and its really comfortable to wear all day. Thank you for your input on the muzzle sweep when drawing. Ive been carrying like this for around 5 years and never noticed that. Im pretty sure I dont sweep when drawing but thank you for making me aware of that.

NeoNeanderthal
04-02-11, 11:45
If you dont want to change your carry method then just change your holster... Get something like a Raven and personal security systems see if they can have it cover your mag release.

ghettomedic
04-02-11, 12:49
I may be overstating the obvious here, but if your preferred carry method involves the likelihood of muzzle sweeping yourself while drawing and frequently releases the magazine from your weapon when sitting, then I think it's time for a new carry position.

Did you have the same problem with your XD? If it were me and the XD never released the magazine in the same position I'd go back to carrying it. The XDs I've shot have been garbage but I'd certainly rather have an XD with a full mag than a single-shot M&P.

Bsully
04-02-11, 13:02
...It is difficulty to draw in this manner and not have the muzzle sweep one's body. Probably not a good idea...
^^this
Could never see a good reason for SOB carry
Good for the BG's doing a gun grab but no user advantages..
Also
If you ever get tripped backwards or get rearended in a vehicle
expect spine damage where you rig sits.

BCmJUnKie
04-02-11, 14:21
I may be overstating the obvious here, but if your preferred carry method involves the likelihood of muzzle sweeping yourself while drawing and frequently releases the magazine from your weapon when sitting, then I think it's time for a new carry position.

Did you have the same problem with your XD? If it were me and the XD never released the magazine in the same position I'd go back to carrying it. The XDs I've shot have been garbage but I'd certainly rather have an XD with a full mag than a single-shot M&P.

I was drawing earlier, I set my camera up behind me and to the side and shot some video of Draw and Dry-fire...I didnt sweep any part of my legs or back, the muzzle didnt sweep one time. I was intrigued after that topic was brought up and had to see. So my XD would fire everytime,clean, dirty, hollow points and steel case. It would fire no matter what...but the sights are junk. I shoot low with my XD. But it ALWAYS goes off. I have not ONCE had a problem with the mag release...but the release on an XD is super hard to push. I love the M&P cause its so smooth. I need to figure out when its getting released,im pretty sure its in my girlfriends car, if thats the case ill just check it when I get out everytime. Im starting right now and ill report back with when or how I end up hitting it

Steve S.
04-02-11, 15:12
If you ever get tripped backwards or get rearended in a vehicle expect spine damage where you rig sits.

There's a good amount of people paralyzed from SOB carry. Most departments forbid it for BUG carry because of this. And the fact it's easy for a snatch and grab.

If you dont want to change your carry method then just change your holster... Get something like a Raven and personal security systems see if they can have it cover your mag release.

Thanks for the plug, man. It's no problem covering up the mag release - but I won't make something for SOB carry - for the reasons above. You'd have to sneak it past me when ordering. Just a bit too unsafe IMHO.

Avenger29
04-03-11, 00:12
Drop the idea middle of the back/small of back carry.

Get a good holster designed to go on your strong side. Buy a better brand than Blackhawk, for one. There is a list of holster makers pinned to the top of this subforum. Investigate them till you find something that looks like you'll like.

I have carried an M&P for a while now in quality holsters and have never had a problem with it dropping mags or having the mag release depressed.