PDA

View Full Version : ? about the M&P .40 Pro Series

.357sigger
04-01-11, 13:22
I need to get a new duty gun by June...does anyone know if the Pro Series .40 is available with no mag safety and no internal lock? Thanks for the replies in advance.

On a side note I went to the range recently. I shot a 229 in .40, a Gen 4 Glock 17, and the M&P in 9, .40, and, .45. Here is what I noticed:

The sig was waaay below par for what I experienced with them in the past. It wasn't accurate at all and had poor slide/frame fit.

The Gen 4 17 was ok...I didn't find it to be much of an improvement over Gen 3. It was accurate enough but the trigger was noticeably different to me. The whole back-strap thing seemed to be as if it was just thrown on to say the gun had it.

The M&P's were quite pleasant to shoot. Accuracy for ME with the 9 and .45 were about the same. Out of all 3 I was most accurate with the .40...I just ragged a hole in the X of the target at about 10 yards.

I am now a believer in the M&P line...and they are a dream to shoot :D

rjacobs
04-01-11, 13:31
What about the Pro series .40 do you want? The sear? The FO front sight? Those are about the only changes from a base gun.

You could get a MP40 base model with no mag safety or lock and order a Pro sear and swap out the sights to whatever you want.

I am guessing because its going to be a duty gun an APEX DCAEK would be out of the question, but swapping in a Pro sear shouldnt be a big deal.

.357sigger
04-01-11, 13:47
I would if I could but it has to be a stock production gun...otherwise I would. I will be doing the apex stuff with all my personal M&P's in the future.

rjacobs
04-01-11, 13:57
I would if I could but it has to be a stock production gun...otherwise I would. I will be doing the apex stuff with all my personal M&P's in the future.

Can you swap sights?

I wouldnt think they would have a problem with the pro sear being put into the gun or does the gun have to have a SKU associated with it not just have factory parts in it?

Call up S&W, I bet the performance center could whip you up a custom gun for not much to get you what you want/need.

.357sigger
04-02-11, 13:14
So what are the main differences between a reg M&P and the Pro Series other than the sear?

Magsz
04-02-11, 13:18
Generally, people refer to the pro guns as being the 5 inch models.

Smith also released a 4.25 inch "Pro Series" model with the performance center sear in 9mm.

I might be wrong but i do not believe there is a 4.25 inch "pro series" .40 caliber gun yet.

.357sigger
04-02-11, 13:22
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766345_-1_757955_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Magsz
04-02-11, 13:27
There you go.

Avoid like the plague. These guns really dont offer you anything other than an option for a SLIGHTLY better than stock trigger if your department wont allow you to swap out factory components for aftermarket ones.

.357sigger
04-02-11, 13:39
Cool...thanks. I guess I will be giving Grant a call soon and see what he can put together for me. :D

JHC
04-02-11, 14:49
There you go.

Avoid like the plague. These guns really dont offer you anything other than an option for a SLIGHTLY better than stock trigger if your department wont allow you to swap out factory components for aftermarket ones.

+1 With all that has been learned about the relative weakness of the factory Pro sear (greater propensity to reset issues) it would not seem worth it.

spr1
04-02-11, 18:13
For quite some time the Pro guns have been coming with the Massachusetts sear spring and sear block to provide a huge increase in force to reset the sear. The dead trigger problem should be a thing of the past.

Steve S.
04-02-11, 20:05
I don't believe the Performance Sear would be a problem as long as SW installed it before it left the factory. Most departments allow this.

I'm wondering if having the parts polished would be against regulations? Otherwise - the performance center is your only choice. Or run it stock. You can smooth the trigger out by just pulling the trigger - no need to cock the striker.

Robb Jensen
04-02-11, 20:12
The factory Pro and aftermarket Apex sears work best with either the Apex sear springs or the newest S&W sear blocks with the larger diameter sear spring and sear spring plunger/detents. My new S&W M&P Pro 40 has this type sear housing block.

JHC
04-02-11, 21:12
The factory Pro and aftermarket Apex sears work best with either the Apex sear springs or the newest S&W sear blocks with the larger diameter sear spring and sear spring plunger/detents. My new S&W M&P Pro 40 has this type sear housing block.

That is excellent news. Spr1 made the point too (tip o' that hat). I see quite a few new guns on the shelves with the Novak knock off slope rear sights. Liike other brands, it takes time to get guns through the supply chain to any specific retail outlet. One would want to be sure they had those latest internals, esp the newest sear blocks etc.

spr1
04-03-11, 04:58
That is excellent news. Spr1 made the point too (tip o' that hat). I see quite a few new guns on the shelves with the Novak knock off slope rear sights. Liike other brands, it takes time to get guns through the supply chain to any specific retail outlet. One would want to be sure they had those latest internals, esp the newest sear blocks etc.

Thanks. That slow inventory turn is the main reason I recently bought a Pro instead of a 9L. I planned to do an APEX upgrade right away, but that was one detail I did not want to deal with.
My understanding is that they are changing to the larger spring sear housing across the line, but the Pro's got them first while they used up the old stock on the standard models.
There have been a number of other changes as well, but I don't have the details.

dc202
04-03-11, 21:23
I had been warned to stay away from the Pro because of sear issues. Is that no longer the case with recent production versions?

Robb Jensen
04-03-11, 21:44
I had been warned to stay away from the Pro because of sear issues. Is that no longer the case with recent production versions?

Yes current Pros have the larger Mass. compliant sized sear spring and plunger which fixes the sear float issue.

Magsz
04-03-11, 21:46

Forget perceived issues with sears, sear housing blocks etc.

The real question should be, do you want to spend the extra money on the performance center sear and sights?

If the answer is no then buy a regular .40 and call it a day.

My personal opinion is that no "pro" gun is currently worth it unless you find a screaming deal. The Performance center sear is better than stock but has less desirable break characteristics than an apex equipped gun.

Besides picking one up because of a potential screaming deal, the Pro guns really only exist for LE guys that need to purchase a gun that is compliant with their departments policies in regard to modification.