PDA

View Full Version : How to breakin a new AR?

paddle007
04-01-11, 20:50
Hey guys,
I'm a newbie with AR's so I have one question before running it. It has a 16" E R Shaw pencil barrel. Is there a breakin procedure?
I've stripped, cleaned and lubed the rifle as I found insructions with pics in these forums. Thanks for that.
I expect the typical "shoot the hell out of it" and if that is correct I will obey. If there is a cooling, cleaning, lube period between rounds I will begrudgingly oblige. I really want to fire away but I think this AR is keeper and I want to do it right!
Thanks,
Paddle007

If this topic has been asked forgive me. My search was not working and tomorrow will be here soon.

ssracer
04-01-11, 20:52
Lube, shoot, clean, repeat

philipeggo
04-01-11, 21:08
thinking about trying that Plate + product from Sprinco (sp) on my new gun once my BCG gets here. any thoughts ?

http://www.sprinco.com/plateplus.html

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-01-11, 21:18

Do this, don't overthink the process.

Silver_2325
04-01-11, 21:22
Break in is two separate words for starters. And yeah, don't forget your oil...

Evil Bert
04-01-11, 21:23
Look all you need to do is the following:

Apply lubricant to your Bolt and front half of your carrier. Cycle the BCG a few times. Load up about 300 rounds. Use this break in period to sight in your rifle as well. There is no need to run through all that ammo in 10 minutes. Take your time. Enjoy the new rifle. After every 10-20 rounds or so, check some of the cases for unusual marks. Things like deep scratches, and just other things that may show something is out of spec.

After about 300 rounds or so, you should take her home, break her down and begin to clean her. During this time you want to inspect everything. Look for any cracking, etc. generally if you have a quality rifle you should have nothing to worry about.

But one thing you want to take note of, is the wear marks on the bolt and carrier. These are the points you will want to make sure you clean and lube very well every time.

Also don't use wolf or other cheap low powered ammo to break her in with. These types of ammo will not yield ideal results to determine if you are actually having problems with your rifle or the ammo.

paddle007
04-01-11, 22:07
Look all you need to do is the following:

Apply lubricant to your Bolt and front half of your carrier. Cycle the BCG a few times. Load up about 300 rounds. Use this break in period to sight in your rifle as well. There is no need to run through all that ammo in 10 minutes. Take your time. Enjoy the new rifle. After every 10-20 rounds or so, check some of the cases for unusual marks. Things like deep scratches, and just other things that may show something is out of spec.

After about 300 rounds or so, you should take her home, break her down and begin to clean her. During this time you want to inspect everything. Look for any cracking, etc. generally if you have a quality rifle you should have nothing to worry about.

But one thing you want to take note of, is the wear marks on the bolt and carrier. These are the points you will want to make sure you clean and lube very well every time.

Also don't use wolf or other cheap low powered ammo to break her in with. These types of ammo will not yield ideal results to determine if you are actually having problems with your rifle or the ammo.
How did you know I have 300 rounds of Remington to use?
Sounds like good advice with inspecting cases for unusual marks.
It's a Shootrite Katana so I expect things to run like they should. It's been test fired but not shot by the previous owner.
Thanks everyone for their advice.

Iraqgunz
04-01-11, 22:35
Might I ask what you paid for said "Katana AR"? Please do let us know how it works for you.

I also would recommend that you strip the weapon down and do a good inspection.

It's a Shootrite Katana so I expect things to run like they should. It's been test fired but not shot by the previous owner.

ZRH
04-01-11, 22:56
Think of a barrel as a consumable part. Like brake pads.

ETA: Redjacket lol

Silver_2325
04-01-11, 23:01
LOL

No one knew you had 300 rounds. That was given as a baseline for you to begin your testing.

kartoffel
04-01-11, 23:11
It's a Shootrite Katana

Uh-oh. Paddle007, you may have inadvertently kicked a hornet nest.

fdxpilot
04-01-11, 23:31
Uh-oh. Paddle007, you may have inadvertently kicked a hornet nest.

Some one has been watching too much Discovery channel. :(

DasBulk
04-01-11, 23:42
Oh man... You don't know? You have to ship it to me, I break them in for everyone. :cool:

Wait? Katana? Nevermind.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-02-11, 00:03

Please post pics of your Shootrite Katana, including detailed pics of the BCG and handguard if you can please. :D

blackgt85
04-02-11, 00:35
Might I ask what you paid for said "Katana AR"? Please do let us know how it works for you.

I too am curious as to how much you paid, and how well it shoots...

Please post pics of your Shootrite Katana, including detailed pics of the BCG and handguard if you can please. :D

I also would like to see the pics, as I'm sure others would like to also.

Justin

tuck
04-02-11, 01:36
I also would like to see the pics, as I'm sure others would like to also.

x3 on the pics

Your the first person I've heard of having one thats not on a TV show.

paddle007
04-02-11, 07:42
Goodmorning guys,
Unfortunately for you this is my first rifle in about 30 years and then it was a mini 14. Go figure. I'm afraid my impression of this rifle will be like a teenager around his first sweet girlfriend.
As far as price a friend had his foot in the door at Red Jacket before the series aired. My buddies truck needed differential work and he was looking for a Glock G27. Luckily for me I could supply both as I am an automotive tech with almost 40 years of experience. You can ask me about the Katana but I can offer much better advice about your vehicle.
I'll let you guys know how it runs today.

Quentin
04-02-11, 09:26
Hope it works well. We would like to hear how it does and some pics.

kenken
04-16-12, 14:42
There seems to be some heavy duty 'Lip Lickin' :haha:goin on here. Pictures are wanted badly and a price.

Easy,

kenken

1859sharps
04-16-12, 15:13

Ummm... I am pretty sure the process is actually Lube, Shoot, Clean, Repeat.... :jester:

ok, joking around aside, if you use a little Google foo (aka searching) you can find some fairly solid info as to one of the sources of the whole "break in" theory. hint, it was to sell barrels not improve accuracy.

Tzook
04-16-12, 15:26
If I don't get pics my head is gonna explode....

556noob
04-16-12, 15:32
A few drops of lube would be nice before shooting it. You don;t know how long it's been in storage before you bought it so lube may have dried up already.

(I remember I was so excited when I got my first AR I headed straight to the range and shot about 100rds without lubing it. It still worked fine.)

ucrt
04-16-12, 15:37
... I'll let you guys know how it runs today.

===============================

Paddle...what happened??? How'd it shoot, it has been two weeks?

p22shooter30
04-16-12, 17:10
this is gonna be fun.

3 AE
04-16-12, 17:18
Gentlemen, this thread started over a year ago! I'm sure the OP is in AR heaven with his Kitana and has been unable to communicate his true feelings of nirvana. Pictures and price of his warrior weapon can be found at the Red Jacket website. You may begin chanting.....!

GunnutAF
04-16-12, 22:38
I say the OP probably commited suicide once he figured out what a POS he bought. A $1800+ parts gun he could have built for $500.:eek:

Iraqgunz
04-16-12, 22:43
You revive an old thread to make some silly post without meaning, good job. Please do not make this a habit.

There seems to be some heavy duty 'Lip Lickin' :haha:goin on here. Pictures are wanted badly and a price.

Easy,

kenken

ucrt
04-16-12, 22:45
===============================

Paddle...what happened??? How'd it shoot, it has been two weeks?

Gentlemen, this thread started over a year ago! I'm sure the OP is in AR heaven with his Kitana and has been unable to communicate his true feelings of nirvana. Pictures and price of his warrior weapon can be found at the Red Jacket website. You may begin chanting.....!

=========================================

Sorry about that.
I guess I need to pay more attention to that 3rd pair of digits in the date.

Let me restate my post:
Paddle...what happened??? How'd it shoot, it has been 54 weeks?

RogerinTPA
04-17-12, 00:57
Good Gawd, not this shit again...

kenken
04-17-12, 14:36
Well then, close it. Your the moderator.

kenken

Iraqgunz
04-17-12, 15:00
FYI- It's got nothing to do with the thread. It's your post which added nothing to the topic on hand.

It would be advised that you check yourself or you may get closed next.

Well then, close it. Your the moderator.

kenken

Brahmzy
04-17-12, 15:41
LOLLERS!

Moltke
04-17-12, 16:07
It would have been nice if the OP would have given some more information/feedback but I imagine that his sample size and knowledge level would end up being insignificant anyway. 300rds on an AR after not handling a rifle in 30yrs...