PDA

View Full Version : LWRC Skirmish sight review and pics

Parky
04-01-11, 21:23
Hello all,

This is my first post, just got my account validated today.

I just got a set of LWRC "Skirmish" sights, and I really like them. I first saw them on one of their piston uppers a couple weeks ago, and was struck by their quality and sight picture. The front sight comes equipped with a round sight post, and the surfaces are grooved to prevent glare. The rear has a rotating aperture with a detent that allows the sight to be folded flat regardless of which aperture is selected, also the small aperture is regulated for 300+ yard shots. Here's the pics!

http://www.aaronmacomber.com/photos/1236537915_QfGFF-XL.jpg

http://www.aaronmacomber.com/photos/1236537695_h6uKX-XL.jpg

And my rifle..

http://www.aaronmacomber.com/photos/1236532946_zUZy7-XL.jpg

VLODPG
04-01-11, 21:39
I especially like the rotating aperture .

dmcutter
04-01-11, 21:43
I looked at those on their site but ended up just getting another set of Troys. I love the HK style front post, really lines up fast for me. Since I never get to shoot at ranges much more than 100 yds or so any more, the pivoting aperture would be more of a novelty than a necessity for me.

YVK
04-01-11, 21:44
I do like the rear sight; front not so much.

How positive does rotating aperture lock in chosen position?

kartoffel
04-01-11, 21:53
I dig the rear sight too. The front sight would need a square post to truly excite me, but it looks well made.

Parky
04-01-11, 22:23
I do like the rear sight; front not so much.

How positive does rotating aperture lock in chosen position?

Very positively, if you look close you can see a triangle shaped notch in the center. Spring tension keeps that seated until you want it to move.

Packman73
04-01-11, 22:36
Ooo, those would look nice on my old skool M6A2.

snakedoctor
04-02-11, 12:10
those look very interesting. i'm still holding out for the new DD flip up BUIS but, these look very promising.

Amicus
06-03-12, 16:59
In my eternal search for a better rear BUIS, I have decided to look at the LWRC Skirmish rear sight. My carbines all have flattop style standard FSBs, so only the rear interests me.

Any reason why that will not work with a flattop ("F" marked) FSB?

Any updates on quality, problems, whatever?

Any idea where I can get a rear without the front (aside from going directly to LWRC)?

I have used all the appropriate search buttons, and looked at every site I can think of, and the general view is that they are pretty good, but there still ain't a lot of info. Aside from one snide remark, and one bizarre withdrawal from a sale offer where the seller stated he couldn't get the rear sight off, I have found very little. Photos are also a bit scarce.

ffhounddog
06-03-12, 17:21
I have only seen the rear's for sale on LWRCI website for 119. I have seen the sets for sale for $160-$170. You might be able to buy a full set and sell the front sight.

Parky
06-03-12, 21:25
The sights have been fantastic, I like everything about them. No complaints at all by way of the requested update ;)

Amicus
06-04-12, 01:22
Thanks for the responses. I have spent quite a bit of time evaluating various rear BUIS, and have never found one that completely satisfied by sense of proper design. Elsewhere on M4C there are a couple of longwinded gripe fests from me with pros and cons. Thus far I have used and evaluated:

Magpul MBUS (Gen 1, couldn't bring myself to get a Gen 2)
Troys (regulars, SKD, and di-opter)
GG&G (regular)
GG&G MAD
PRI (Troy-like)
Brownells (regular and 360) -- NOTE: actually very nice sights, except for the extended nut that lies close to the CH latch, and, they tend to work better with extended front sight posts
ARMS (several types, all sold off)

And those are just the flip ups. I have probably left off a few, and, for those who care, the KACs just don't appeal to me. Others that have problematic reps include Mangonels, MaTechs, and others. If I knew what I know now about the MAD, I never would have bought it.

The problem I have with designs is that manufacturers treat them like "back ups" (i.e., as though they don't have to be as good as primary optics). But, guess what guys, if your "primary" goes down, the iron you go to had better be as good as (or, almost as good as) the primary you would have chosen if irons were your only choice.

What a I would like to see in a flip up BUIS are these features:

-Tough
-Held and Locked solidly in the upright when deployed; not held in place by a spring
-Able to be initially deployed with the small or the large aperture (my choice)
-Windage knob located at the base of the sight, or, with a very small and difficult to adjust knob higher on the sight
-If it uses a flip type aperture, I want it to use a bar or spring steel detent (like the carry handle sight or the GG&G regular sight), not a simple ball detent

And I haven't even begun to address the issue of aperture types: sizes, same plane or offset. I can work with just about anything, as long as the list above gets me the type of sight I can have confidence in when deploying.

A few of the above sights come close, but that's my wish list.

:confused:

ETA: Ordered a set of the Skirmishes, and we'll see.

la-li-lu-le-lo
06-21-12, 03:29
Those sights look nice. I like that it's not too square like most BUIS.