PDA

View Full Version : Noob Alert! Just bought my first AR! Looking for advice...

WilliamG
04-02-11, 01:58
Hey all,

Quick background. I think I'm insane. Brought up in London (where you get arrested for even DREAMING about guns), moved to the USA a few years ago, discovered guns in January, 2011, and since February 1, 2011, I've bought the following:

1.) S&W 686 Pro SSR
2.) S&W M&P 9mm Pro
3.) Remington 870
4.) Browning Buck Mark Camper URX
5.) Kahr PM9
6.) S&W M&P 15-22
7.) CZ-75 Shadow Custom

And...

...just bought my number 8! My first AR, Friday, April 1!: A new Knight's Armament SR-15 E3. I'm sure many of you will just :rolleyes: at me because, seriously, probably more of a rifle than I'll ever need.... But I held it once and no other rifle compared....

Anyway, brought it home a few hours ago and added a Hogue grip, Magpul AFG and an Eotech EXPS0-3 that I'd ordered from Midway.

Of course, I've not shot it yet. I intend to take it apart and give it some sweet lube-lovin' first...

Was wondering if there's any MAJOR points I should know. My only other rifle is a S&W M&P 15-22, so this feels similar... yet... different!

Thanks, guys, and sorry if some of you think I'm nuts. I already know I am. :)

seronian
04-02-11, 02:22
guys here told me to shoot,clean,lube...

and buy lots of ammo.

congrats

ZRH
04-02-11, 03:30
There's nothing crazy about having a hobby.

Recommended reading is: FM 3-22.9, TM 9-1005-319-10 (you can find them on google) and the stickies in these forums.

wetidlerjr
04-02-11, 05:42
Hey all... discovered guns in January, 2011, and since February 1, 2011, I've bought the following:
1.) S&W 686 Pro SSR
2.) S&W M&P 9mm Pro
3.) Remington 870
5.) S&W Bodyguard .380
6.) S&W M&P 15-22...
Thanks, guys, and sorry if some of you think I'm nuts. I already know I am. :)

Sounds like you are the right track. Just stay on it.
Welcome to the EBR world ! :D

Quentin
04-02-11, 09:31
Wow you've built up an amazing collection in just three months, William! Enjoy them all, especially the KAC. Since you're new to firearms, definitely get some training right away, at least safety training.

Packman73
04-02-11, 09:36
Welcome to the obsession.:cool:

FSTRN
04-02-11, 09:45
guys here told me to shoot,clean,lube...

and buy lots of ammo.

Repeat, ad lib!

MookNW
04-02-11, 10:16
I'd get a good safe. Welcome to the club.

kac
04-02-11, 10:51
Congratulations and welcome. I would second the advice on training. Having an experienced trainer look at what you're doing and mold you in the proper way is something you could never get the equivalent of pottering around a range by yourself.

Magic_Salad0892
04-02-11, 11:02
Buy ammo. Get Class. Shoot gun. Lube gun. Shoot gun. Shoot gun. Reload. Repeat.

SoulStealer
04-02-11, 11:08
Welcome to madness...

I was told long ago... buy ammo and shoot, shoot, shoot...

Find ManBearPig!
04-02-11, 12:42
Congrats on the purchase.

You may (all though it is highly debatable) have just purchased the best AR on the market. Now go shoot the thing! :D

WilliamG
04-02-11, 12:48
Congrats on the purchase.

You may (all though it is highly debatable) have just purchased the best AR on the market. Now go shoot the thing! :D

I'm actually very, very excited. :) Can't wait to go the range and fire it! Just need to field strip it today and give it some CLP love before heading out. I'm a TOTAL stickler for cleaning before the first shoot, and cleaning after every shoot. Whether 5 rounds or 500 rounds, my guns get cleaned every time. Keeps me feeling good about it. :)

Maybe a triple-tap, next?

browneu
04-02-11, 12:51
1.) S&W 686 Pro SSR
2.) S&W M&P 9mm Pro
3.) Remington 870
5.) S&W Bodyguard .380
6.) S&W M&P 15-22

No 1911? A collection isn't a collection without one. :D

Seriously, welcome to the greatest country in the world and shoot the crap out of all your weapons.

TOrrock
04-02-11, 12:52
You bought one of the finest examples of the AR system for your first, well done.

My ex wife was working in Nottingham a few years back, I'd go over to visit every once in a while. Her flat was across the street from a militaria shop, and I'd go over to talk with the lads when I could.

They had a room full of "Relics of Empire", Sniders, Martini-Henry's, Sharps, Spencer's, etc. All sold "off license" because you couldn't easily get ammo for them. Lots of deactivated Soviet bloc weaponry, incliding a 14.5mm PTRS anti tank rifle.

We would talk about how far Britain had fallen in regards to firearms rights. Once the center of competitive shooting, your Olympic pistol team now has to go to France to practice.

Damn shame.

Well, welcome to the Colonies!

WilliamG
04-02-11, 12:53
1.) S&W 686 Pro SSR
2.) S&W M&P 9mm Pro
3.) Remington 870
5.) S&W Bodyguard .380
6.) S&W M&P 15-22

Seriously, welcome to the greatest country in the world and shoot the crap out of all your weapons.

I've been trying to resist a 1911 for so, so long. It really is a gun I don't feel hugely attracted to for some reason, though I recognize its awesomeness. I may pick one up down the road a ways..

WilliamG
04-02-11, 12:56
You bought one of the finest examples of the AR system for your first, well done.

My ex wife was working in Nottingham a few years back, I'd go over to visit every once in a while. Her flat was across the street from a militaria shop, and I'd go over to talk with the lads when I could.

They had a room full of "Relics of Empire", Sniders, Martini-Henry's, Sharps, Spencer's, etc. All sold "off license" because you couldn't easily get ammo for them. Lots of deactivated Soviet bloc weaponry, incliding a 14.5mm PTRS anti tank rifle.

We would talk about how far Britain had fallen in regards to firearms rights. Once the center of competitive shooting, your Olympic pistol team now has to go to France to practice.

Damn shame.

Well, welcome to the Colonies!

You use the word "flat" and it makes me melt... ahhh... Wish there were more people like you around me. :) England definitely has a-fallen regarding firearms rights. I fully admit I've no idea what it would take to be able to own one, but I think it's close to impossible these days. Farmers being one exception, I'd imagine.

Oh well, now I live in one of the most liberal states in the US - Washington. I'm amazed the FBI haven't been knocking on my door. After all, how many permanent residents go and buy 7 guns in 7 weeks? That could be a movie....

Introducing the sequel to "Two Weeks Notice", "7 Guns, 7 Weeks."

Find ManBearPig!
04-02-11, 13:54
I'm actually very, very excited. :) Can't wait to go the range and fire it! Just need to field strip it today and give it some CLP love before heading out. I'm a TOTAL stickler for cleaning before the first shoot, and cleaning after every shoot. Whether 5 rounds or 500 rounds, my guns get cleaned every time. Keeps me feeling good about it. :)

Maybe a triple-tap, next?

You don't need to clean it that much. A good cleaning every 1000 rounds, and some some lube every once and while, and you will be fine.

tbaytusmc
04-02-11, 13:54
Hahaha. Yeah... I think the ATF might be a-knockin on your door soon. :p

MistWolf
04-02-11, 13:58
[HTML]No 1911? A collection isn't a collection without one. :D...

...or a Garand. Or a 10/22. Or an old Smelly (SMLE), especially for a bloke. Or an O3-A3...

Hey William, where in WA are you? Edmonds here, which is just north of Seattle. Have you been to the Regional Training Groups section and sign in on the Pacific Northwest Training and Networking subforum?

Mr. Goodtimes
04-02-11, 14:25
I dont think anybody here is going to laugh at you for buying an SR15 E3. No such thing as too much rifle. Congrats on a great purchase! Throw some nice optics on it and go shoot the shit out of her.

Also, can we ban the word noob?

WilliamG
04-02-11, 15:01
...or a Garand. Or a 10/22. Or an old Smelly (SMLE), especially for a bloke. Or an O3-A3...

Hey William, where in WA are you? Edmonds here, which is just north of Seattle. Have you been to the Regional Training Groups section and sign in on the Pacific Northwest Training and Networking subforum?

I'm in Seattle. Currently shooting at West Coast Armory. I really like it there.

I dont think anybody here is going to laugh at you for buying an SR15 E3. No such thing as too much rifle. Congrats on a great purchase! Throw some nice optics on it and go shoot the shit out of her.

Also, can we ban the word noob?

lol. I threw an Eotech EXPS3-0 on there. It's really nice!

CLHC
04-02-11, 15:20
I'm in Seattle. Currently shooting at West Coast Armory.
Have you shot with the "Friday Night Rifle League" there? When they were over at Wade's, I tried it out a couple of times.

Mr. Goodtimes
04-02-11, 15:29
lol. I threw an Eotech EXPS3-0 on there. It's really nice!

Yea I went back and re-read that. I had a special moment. The EXPS line seems to be an improvement of old. I never had any problems with my 512 but I know some other people sure did. The EXPS series seems to be fairing a little better. It's definately better in that it takes up much less rail space than the older models and is lighter.

WilliamG
04-02-11, 16:18
I need to check out the leagues, for sure!

Question: When I tilt the rifle up and down, I hear something "sliding around." I think it's coming from the buffer tube. :confused:

Any idea what that sound could be? Definitely freaking me out!

*waits for someone to tell me it's a spring and it's normal* :D

browneu
04-02-11, 17:27
It's normal, the sound is coming from your buffer.

Silver_2325
04-02-11, 17:38
LOL - You really blew your load once you got across the pond. Sounds like a nice collection.

HD670
04-02-11, 19:15
thats awesome...took me a year to get 4 guns...you got more in just a few months...good shit.not go out and shoot them

WilliamG
04-02-11, 22:37
Just got back from the range! Wheeeeee! So much fun! I knew I wouldn't be able to control myself, so I just brought with me 100 rounds of Remington .223 55 grain. Every one fired every time with no issues. Freaked me out a little as the factory oils burned off and out through the trigger a little for the first few rounds! :eek:

But so, so, so much fun. AND, it gets better. One of the range instructors came over and saw me zeroing the rifle and was super impressed that I was shooting a Stoner, and in exchange for a few rounds through it he gave me a lesson that lasted over an hour. Taught me all sorts of things like correct posture, correct hand grip on my AFG etc. WELL WORTH IT!

Anyway, I feel like I got waaay more out of my first excursion that I thought I would. So awesome! Got it zeroed through the iron sights and through my Eotech EXPS3-0. All running great!

After 100 rounds I was able to make fist-sized groupings at 25 yards, hand-held. I felt pretty good about that, since 25-yards is the furthest I can shoot at this range.

Now... to buy more ammo! :D :D :D

Packman73
04-02-11, 23:09
Haha, he's hooked!

WilliamG
04-02-11, 23:57
Haha, he's hooked!

What a terribly true thing you just stated!

WilliamG
04-03-11, 01:36
Just took a quick picture! This is where I'll be in my bathroom, looking out the door when the zombie apocalypse hits!

Mods:

AR15 Hogue grip
GripPod LE
Magpul AFG v1
Eotech EXPS3-0 holographic sight
UTG flashlight/laser combo
Magpul PMAG 30
Magpul Ranger mag plate
My awesomeness

tbaytusmc
04-03-11, 02:19
Great rifle there! Thought I must say that's the first time I've seen a grip pod AND an AFG on one rifle. =P If it's just the bi-pod you're after, you may be able to save some weight by putting an actual bipod on there... I've got a grip pod I use for my service rifle, and I know it's pretty weighty. But hey, it's your baby. Put all the ninjafied doodads ya want on her. Who am I to stop ya! Lol.

Welcome to the dark side! (ya know... they're black rifles?...:suicide2: )

WilliamG
04-03-11, 02:21
Great rifle there! Thought I must say that's the first time I've seen a grip pod AND an AFG on one rifle. =P If it's just the bi-pod you're after, you may be able to save some weight by putting an actual bipod on there... I've got a grip pod I use for my service rifle, and I know it's pretty weighty. But hey, it's your baby. Put all the ninjafied doodads ya want on her. Who am I to stop ya! Lol.

Welcome to the dark side! (ya know... they're black rifles?...:suicide2: )

You're right! I should clarify! The GripPod is NOT on there usually! I use it at the range to zero my sight, and for occasional bench use. However, I just put it on tonight for picture taking to get the rifle to stand up! For "normal" use it's definitely not on there! I'm an AFG dude all the way. :)

OldState
04-03-11, 02:33
1.) S&W 686 Pro SSR
2.) S&W M&P 9mm Pro
3.) Remington 870
5.) S&W Bodyguard .380
6.) S&W M&P 15-22

+1. Now that you are over here experiencing the benefits of a written Constitution, you really need to get quintessential American pistol. Should have been your 1st pistol;). 100 years old and still the #1 pistol in the US!
The 870 is a classic though.

WilliamG
04-03-11, 02:35
Haha.

I know, I know... But I need to buy guns I really love! I haven't found an M1911 that calls to me..... yet. I think I will have one before the end of the year; just need to find that "one." I greatly appreciate a worked-on trigger and good ergonomics, so I will keep my eyes peeled...

Silvanus
04-03-11, 02:42
Very nice collection you got so far! Either you did your research or you got really lucky with your first AR purchase :D

WilliamG
04-03-11, 02:44
Very nice collection you got so far! Either you did your research or you got really lucky with your first AR purchase :D

The funny thing is that I didn't do all THAT much research, really. I held every AR15 I could get my hands on, and just liked the feel of the SR-15's trigger, weight, ambi controls etc a thousand times more than other ARs. It was that simple, really. And shooting it tonight reaffirmed I made the right decision. I'm still a bit giddy. May have to go fire it later Sunday again with the missus. :D

WilliamG
04-03-11, 02:59
I was looking at brakes, and I think I'd like a Battlecomp to reduce muzzle rise, but I'm confused as to which one I want. 1.0? 1.5? 2.0? So confusing!

Suwannee Tim
04-03-11, 07:04
... England definitely has a-fallen regarding firearms rights.....

England has fallen in every regard. Socially, binge drinking and puking are the national pastimes. I am, like my warrior ancestors, father, uncles, grandfather, who fought with the Brits, and some of the older ones who fought against the Brits, an Anglophile but there's less and less to love. I think the British example is so stark because they were the pinnacle of civilization and held a high position from which to fall. Over the years I've only met one Brit I didn't like and I think he was Americanized. Anyhoo, I don't see a bolt action rifle in that list. You need that most American of firearms, a good bolt action 30-06!

Hmac
04-03-11, 08:55
I think we Americans should be careful about looking down our noses at other western societies. We are headed down the same path, sociologically and economically.

wetidlerjr
04-03-11, 08:59
Just took a quick picture! This is where I'll be in my bathroom, looking out the door when the zombie apocalypse hits!
Mods:
AR15 Hogue grip
GripPod LE
Magpul AFG v1
Eotech EXPS3-0 holographic sight
UTG flashlight/laser combo
Magpul PMAG 30
Magpul Ranger mag plate
My awesomeness

Great rifle ! I am sure you will enjoy that. :D

Suwannee Tim
04-03-11, 12:01
I think we Americans should be careful about looking down our noses at other western societies. We are headed down the same path, sociologically and economically.

We are leading the way Hmac, with a big shit eating grin our collective faces.

Hmac
04-03-11, 12:19
We are leading the way Hmac, with a big shit eating grin our collective faces.

Led by Joy Behar and Whoopie Goldberg.

HaydenB
04-04-11, 00:19
I was looking at brakes, and I think I'd like a Battlecomp to reduce muzzle rise, but I'm confused as to which one I want. 1.0? 1.5? 2.0? So confusing!

1.0 is the original, 1.5 is the same but with a extended flash hider to put the overall length of a 14.5" barrel to 16.1 when pinned, and the 2.0 has the same external dimensions as an A2 flash hider.

Basically you want the 2.0:p

huzyerdaddy
05-22-11, 07:07
I'd get a good safe. Welcome to the club.

+1, checkout www.johnsonsafe.com for a safe made to your order...

WilliamG
05-22-11, 12:05
Thanks for all the replies. :)

Just added a CZ 75 Shadow Custom to the collection, too. :D

huzyerdaddy
05-22-11, 12:38
Hahaha. Yeah... I think the ATF might be a-knockin on your door soon. :p

Urban legend

WilliamG
05-22-11, 12:44
Urban legend

Could happen! :D I'm not an American citizen (British permanent resident - married an American), and every time I buy a gun I expect the FBI to come out of the woodwork and arrest me. :ph34r: For what? Nothing! But still.... Seems crazy I can own all these firearms. Welcome to America, I guess! :jester:

WilliamG
05-22-11, 12:47
1.0 is the original, 1.5 is the same but with a extended flash hider to put the overall length of a 14.5" barrel to 16.1 when pinned, and the 2.0 has the same external dimensions as an A2 flash hider.

Basically you want the 2.0:p

Forgot to reply to this! Had the 2.0 put on the day after, and it's awesome! I can hold the SR15 out in front of me, one handed, like a pistol (!) and shoot with zero upward recoil. The range pros were like :eek: , lol!

HardLuck682
11-16-11, 04:50
Wow, I wish that I had the financial ability to buy all those guns in such a short span of time. Good collection so far! If it makes you happy, and doesn't hurt anyone else, keep it up!

WilliamG
11-16-11, 07:38
Wow, I wish that I had the financial ability to buy all those guns in such a short span of time. Good collection so far! If it makes you happy, and doesn't hurt anyone else, keep it up!

I've been having lots of (safe) fun! Also now have a CZ 97B fully custom-ed out on the way. Hopefully it gets here soon! I just didn't care for the 1911s (blasphemy, I know). The 97B is the best .45 I've ever fired. So effortless (and no stove-piping/jamming!!).

Moltke
11-16-11, 08:07
Good start to a collection, glad to have you here.

So since April have you kept up with your shooting? The SR-15 is a nice rifle and deserves to be fired often. :)

JackFanToM
11-16-11, 08:21
Do me a huge favor and ditch the CLP...get some EWL or something a bit more the last 3 decades :-D

WilliamG
11-16-11, 08:22
Do me a huge favor and ditch the CLP...get some EWL or something without graphite in it.

I've had no issues with CLP, though?

WilliamG
11-16-11, 08:23
Good start to a collection, glad to have you here.

So since April have you kept up with your shooting? The SR-15 is a nice rifle and deserves to be fired often. :)

Yep I have somewhat. I get busy at times (heck, who shoots as much as they WANT to?:) ), but I still shoot! :D

JackFanToM
11-16-11, 08:47
I've had no issues with CLP, though?

you may never have an issue with CLP, but you bought an amazing, modern AR rifle...don't you want to baby it with a modern gun lube? CLP is a cleaner and a lube. Like most double duty items you sacrifice one area for gains in another.

I clean with 725 and lube with EWL (my gun isn't a safe queen so I don't worry about seepage or the lube running). I know it may not be your favorite thing, but do some research on weapon lubes (you can toss a stone around here and hit several posts dealing with it).

WilliamG
11-16-11, 08:56
you may never have an issue with CLP, but you bought an amazing, modern AR rifle...don't you want to baby it with a modern gun lube? CLP is a cleaner and a lube. Like most double duty items you sacrifice one area for gains in another.

I clean with 725 and lube with EWL (my gun isn't a safe queen so I don't worry about seepage or the lube running). I know it may not be your favorite thing, but do some research on weapon lubes (you can toss a stone around here and hit several posts dealing with it).

Perhaps issues arise if there are not many cleanings done? I clean after every shoot and all my guns sparkle. I did read a lot about lubes before getting CLP (and Pro 7 stuff). Everyone seems to have an opinion it seems. :)

JackFanToM
11-16-11, 09:20
Cleaning has nothing to do with it...read this

http://mscg.yuku.com/topic/5658#.TsPS2vKwVqU

The "Filthy 14" kinda brings home the myths about cleanliness and ARs.
I'm pretty much a learn it by myself kinda guy, but when making big purchases I do a ton of research prior to the purchase, and even more specific research afterwards. I also take the source into consideration when doing the research....I wouldn't take my advice. I'm just saying weed out the opinions and sift for the gems...you will find that CLP is good for basic cleaning, but there are quite a few lubes that hold up better when the temperatures get high.

If that was my SR15, it would only get top o' the line - except when it comes to ammo, can't train with expensive ammo, or should I say can't train as much.

Moltke
11-16-11, 10:57
CLP is fine as the minimum cleaning solution, there is better stuff out there but CLP will get you by just fine. When you run out, try something else.

WilliamG
11-16-11, 11:45
Interesting read...

However, it tells me nothing about CLP, and only addresses shooting a rifle for 20k+ rounds without cleaning. My guns get cleaned every single outing. Whether I fire just 10 rounds or 500 rounds, they get cleaned the very same day of the shoot. Anyway, I've had no issues with CLP. In fact, the only occasional misfires I've had with any of my guns are of course - with the 22LR, which is to be expected of rimfire.

It's interesting to read other opinions, of course. E.g. Everyone swore up and down that 1911s are the best. My experience has been quite the opposite, hence the CZ on the way. You can't win 'em all, I suppose. :)

Moltke
11-16-11, 12:38
CLP is fine, nothing high class about it and nothing wrong with it, just another run of the mill gun oil.

The SWAT article author does mention that they used Slip 2000 EWL, which is in his opinion and many others to be high quality oil. When you're out of CLP, give it a try and see if you notice a difference.

1911's are the 20th century quintessential(sp?) American handgun, which is why it was suggested to you. It carries with it alot of modern American history including being literally carried through WWI & WWII, Korea and Vietnam. Having been in service for 100 years now in one capacity or another, among American shooters it is one of the favorite guns but it's debatable what's "best".

For a finely tuned, very accurate, bullseye competition handgun; the 1911 platform is very robust. For a modern combat handgun where slow fire bullseye accuracy standards are not the focus, many would choose a higher capacity, lighter handgun.

I hope you like your CZ.

fortibus85
11-20-11, 21:05
Congrats on your latest purchase. I am a new AR owner as well, but haven't even been out to the range yet or purchased my sights. (much more limited selection of weapons here in California, so I got a S&W M&P 15)