PDA

View Full Version : Question About Newer M&P 45 and 9mm 's Triggers.

davebee456
04-02-11, 16:59
Question About Newer M&P 45 and 9mm 's Triggers
I remember reading on here that there was an improvement on the triggers about a year ago.

On this website or another one I go to I read Smith and Wesson improved the triggers so there would be more of a "reset" and smoother pull just like the Apex Kits..

Is this true at all ?

I am thinking about trading my Glock21SF for a New M&P45 Midsize but the trigger concerns me..The 21SF is just to big to carry for me.

Steve S.
04-02-11, 19:49
I've handled older M&Ps and newer ones - and the newer trigger is much nicer. But both are pretty gritty. I'd chalk the trigger on either up to a loss.

More importantly on the new guns is the improved (silver) striker, better rear sight for one hand manipulation, and some internal work to the sear and plunger I understand.

Also in the .45 series - the newer FDE guns have a metal insert to keep the frame strong. Colored plastics are softer than black - so coupled with .45 you had some slides cracking.

I don't understand the appeal of the 45Midsize for carry guns. You have the same barrel length as the Compact - but the grip is longer. The grip is always harder to conceal - and the gun comes with grip extenders. The compact also has a reduced beavertail so it is more comfortable.

If they made a compact frame with the fullsize slide and called it the Midsize - it would be perfect. Taking the fullsize frame and putting a compact slide - that just doesn't make sense to me...

Maybe I'm missing something here though...

dewman
04-02-11, 19:58
I purchased a M&P 45 4.5" which came with a threaded barrel and a standard barrel about 3 months ago. I'm not sure if it's has the "newer" trigger...but the trigger was gritty and did not compare to what I was use too. I just finished installing the apex dcaek kit (last wk) that I purchased from Grant and now it's is living up to my expectation.

Can't go wrong with the Apex kit!

TehLlama
04-02-11, 20:53
I purchased a M&P 45 4.5" which came with a threaded barrel and a standard barrel about 3 months ago. I'm not sure if it's has the "newer" trigger...but the trigger was gritty and did not compare to what I was use too. I just finished installing the apex dcaek kit (last wk) that I purchased from Grant and now it's is living up to my expectation.

Can't go wrong with the Apex kit!

This one hits it - I couldn't care less about the stock trigger. The first Apex DCAEK I tried on a friend's pistol I liked, so I bought one, and couldn't be happier. I'm getting another M&P, because with that kit it's the best non-1911 feel I've experienced.

davebee456
04-07-11, 01:21
I never heard of colored polymer frames being weaker..where can i see if my frame has a metal insert?

beastfrog
04-07-11, 05:28
All M&P frames have a metal sub-chassis. They have since day one.

John_Wayne777
04-07-11, 10:23
On this website or another one I go to I read Smith and Wesson improved the triggers so there would be more of a "reset" and smoother pull just like the Apex Kits..

Is this true at all ?

At some point in the relatively recent past S&W introduced a new sear in the M&P's that made for a more pleasant trigger pull with a slightly more distinct reset. The sear was silver in color and was an attempt to replicate some of the characteristics of the Performance Center sear. I bought one of the S&W LE labeled guns from Grant back in August as a gift for my father and it had the new sear in it. The trigger was much nicer than the triggers on the M&P's I had bought previously. Since it was already so good, I didn't modify it in any way. I actually used that gun to turn in my first clean sub-6 second run on the FAST drill.

The reset on the M&P's with all the new hardware still isn't as positive or distinct as it is on the Glock, but it's better than it used to be.

High Altitude
04-13-11, 16:06
I bought a FS9 about a month ago and the trigger is awful. Gritty, false reset right before the actual reset and the reset itself is barely there as far as feel. Breaks at about 5lbs (which is nice) but with some expected creep.

I shoot it very well on a single shot basis. My first time out I was very surprised at how accurate I shot it but the lack of a nice "click" reset is a deal breaker for me. My follow up shots are not anywhere close to my glock shooting performance wise. I know I need to train/pracitice more but I can't even feel the actual reset when popping off doubles etc......

I am thinking about upgrading to all APEX parts but I am having a hard time believing that it is going to make a huge difference in the reset considering how miniscule the reset is now.

TriumphRat675
04-13-11, 16:44
I am thinking about upgrading to all APEX parts but I am having a hard time believing that it is going to make a huge difference in the reset considering how miniscule the reset is now.

I just installed the DCAEK and RAM in my M&P9 which had zero detectable reset. This combination gives a very, very distinct reset, comparable to a stock Glock. I cannot speak to the effect the DCAEK alone has on the reset but it is supposed to be improved.

G34Shooter
04-13-11, 16:49
I bought a FS9 about a month ago and the trigger is awful. Gritty, false reset right before the actual reset and the reset itself is barely there as far as feel. Breaks at about 5lbs (which is nice) but with some expected creep.

I shoot it very well on a single shot basis. My first time out I was very surprised at how accurate I shot it but the lack of a nice "click" reset is a deal breaker for me. My follow up shots are not anywhere close to my glock shooting performance wise. I know I need to train/pracitice more but I can't even feel the actual reset when popping off doubles etc......

You can decide the difference in the RAM install on my gun that you can hear the difference before early in the video and after towards the end. The sear of the DCAEK really shortens the reset as well.
http://youtu.be/tp2fmox8uJ8

davebee456
04-13-11, 21:52
funny thing is i called smith and wesson today and they told me that my pistol left the factory to be sold last month however the empty brass envelope says it was fired on 05/12/10.
but the smith says I have the new updated striker and etc..but anyway they charge $100.00 for their trigger job at the factory so I might try the apex.

mkmckinley
04-13-11, 21:58
The DCAEK and RAM make a huge difference.