PDA

View Full Version : Cover Garment for IDPA?

NightFighter
09-25-07, 17:09
I am going to my first IDPA match and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on cover garments? I am new to IDPA and do not want to spend a fortune on a cover garment. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance. :confused:

rob_s
09-25-07, 17:54
I shoot IDPA 2-3 times a month using nothing more than an untucked polo shirt or t-shirt as a cover garment. It's what I conceal with every day at work so it's how I compete.

At the level that the vast majority of us are "playing" at, having a weighted super-cool game vest vs. drawing from under a t-shirt isn't going to separate the winners form the losers.

rubberneck
09-25-07, 18:52
I am going to my first IDPA match and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on cover garments? I am new to IDPA and do not want to spend a fortune on a cover garment. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance. :confused:

Anything garment that covers your gun and holster when your arms are extended parallel to the ground is considered cover (there are a couple exceptions to that but it isn't something a new shooter should be worried about).

NightFighter
09-25-07, 20:42
Thanks for both of your inputs. I appreciate your time in answering my question.

Keith E.
09-26-07, 12:31
I use a Carharrt brand shirt in a Tall size as daily cover and gaming cover. Little tough in the hot months but not unbearable. I hope you enjoy the match.

Keith

Face_N_The_Crowd
09-26-07, 17:01
I shoot IDPA 2-3 times a month using nothing more than an untucked polo shirt or t-shirt as a cover garment. It's what I conceal with every day at work so it's how I compete.

But the IDPA gurus all have super fly 5:11 vests and debate the merits of 9mm v .45 ACP while sitting on their ass (and not taping / brassing / scoring) and seguing the conversation into IDPA is real world training......

Oh how I aspire to be a guru......

mayonaise
09-26-07, 21:59
There are a number of good, inexpensive garments to expensive vests. The main thing is working with whatever you're going to use to makes sure you can clear the holster for the draw and be able to re-holster your gun with your dominant hand only. Having to use both hands to holster your gun usually will put your support hand in close proximity of your muzzle. If you go the Hawaiian (unbuttoned) shirt method it takes a but more practice clearing the light material on your draw without grabbing a fist full of shirt and the gun at the same time. If you go the vest route, most of the good ones (Woolrich, 511 etc...) have stiffeners or you can use your keys in the pockets as ballast to make clearing the garment easier. Just a good idea to test out your kit (with an empty gun) before doing it at the match for the first time.

Hope you have a good time. Good luck.

MX5
09-27-07, 08:33
Nightfighter,

I'd recommend starting out with a T-shirt with an unbuttoned button-down type shirt over it - cheap, effective, good point to begin learning for IDPA matches. Tac vests have been an IDPA 'uniform' since the beginning. One advantage to anything with side pockets is that you can add a spare mag, loaded or not, to the R-side pocket. The additional weight will create momentum for the garment to 'clear leather'. This is an old technique learned from one of our investigators way back when we carried S&W M10s. He used 2-3 loose rds. in his sport coat pocket for the weight. He taught this young FNG that trick and I returned the favor by introducing him to speedloaders. That was a long time ago.

Hersh
09-27-07, 18:09
Nightfighter,

I'd recommend starting out with a T-shirt with an unbuttoned button-down type shirt over it - cheap, effective, good point to begin learning for IDPA matches.

That'll work just as well as a vest.

I have a SigTac only because I won it in a drawing. Truth be known, the thing is hotter'n blazes in the summer even though it's lighter weight than some I've seen. In the winter my cover garment is a barn jacket or whatever coat I'm wearing.

IF you decide to buy a vest look for one that's well vented ... it'll be more comfortable for summer month shoots.

abnartyguy
10-03-07, 20:10
Gent's,
as you can tell there are several options for conceal garments, i would go to your local club and see what they like to wear, when it comes down to it I found it was all weather dependent. When i shot IDPA in Ky, everyone had a super cool 5.11 vest, which i started wearing, but now that i shoot down here in NC its way too warm for a vest and I've slowly moved to a long polo shirt with a IWB holster. I would pick up a vest at wally-world and then go from there, later!
-ZM

Wraith
10-04-07, 12:36
I use a Hawaiian shirt or a flannel shirt when the weather gets cooler. It's what I wear when I conceal and doesn't scream "look at me I'm Teddy Tactical" like the other 5.11 and photographers vests do. I've also noticed Hawaiian shirts break up any sort of printing because of the goofy patterns. Plus there's always the satisfaction of beating all the 5.11 guys looking like a tourist :D

Buck
11-28-07, 02:05
Going with the theory that “They can’t all be photographers”, In a real world gun fight I plan on shooting anyone wearing a tan vest first… Preferably with my 870 or carbine…

Just my .02

Buck

Sidewinder6
11-28-07, 13:36
Going with the theory that “They can’t all be photographers”, In a real world gun fight I plan on shooting anyone wearing a tan vest first… Preferably with my 870 or carbine…

Just my .02

Buck

Yup. Thats why their nickname is "Shootmefirst Vest" . Sort of like wearing big stars on your helmet.

Dport
11-28-07, 13:57

Just my .02

Buck

After that I'm going for the guys with the fanny packs.;)

rhino
11-28-07, 16:45
I've done the vest thing and I've done the "wear what you normally wear to conceal your gun" thing. I have a lot more fun when I just wear what I normall wear. It's also unlikely than extra half of a second on your draw and presentation is going to make a difference in any given stage, much less a match if you don't wear a vest.

Barry in IN
11-28-07, 17:27
Just please don't do like some jokers and wander around with your gun in the open because "it's so hot" and then when it's your turn to shoot, shout "Wait! I have to go the the car and get my cover!"
Your cover?
You carry a brick wall in your car?

But don't get me started.

12-01-07, 17:09

Just my .02

Buck

LMAO...Hey, the guys wearing the tan vest are just coming back from a IDPA shoot....their the good guy's:eek:

Ya gotta shoot the guy with his pants down to his knee's first....:D

blackscot
01-11-08, 06:45
P A J A M A S ! ! ! :p