PDA

View Full Version : Initial thoughts on the Walther PPS

zacbol
04-02-11, 20:12
Based on some posts here on M4Carbine and having read mostly positive stuff about the Walther PPS elsewhere, I decided to pick one up this past week.

I only carry concealed occasionally. It is against my company's policy to have firearms at work and to me the cost/benefit is not there to risk being fired. I'm confident enough in the knife and OC I carry along with what little fighting skills and situational awareness I have to not feel 'naked' without a gun.

Nevertheless, I do try to carry on the weekend and my normal choice is a G19. It disappears quite easily in a Kramer #3 IWB in horsehide (At 5'11'' and 240lbs I can even conceal a full-size HK45 in a tshirt pretty well) but I never forget it's there. It's fairly heavy and bulky IMO and when driving for long period it causes me some back discomfort. I've looked at a few other options, but most of them were too small/awkward to shoot effectively and additionally anything less than a 9mm is also too much of a compromise.

In any event, the Walther seemed to address all of the downsides of the G19 without any of the compromises of other options. I rented one at my local range and found myself shooting *better* with it that the G19. In fact, I'm not much of a shot period, but the Glock has never felt 'natural' in my hands. Perhaps I have 'dainty' hands but the grip is a bit too thick. The Walther, on the other hand, felt *perfect*. It allowed a full grip and felt neither too small or too large. I had 0 issues and other than the idiosyncratic magazine release it seemed perfect. So I bought one right then and there.

A few days later I took the gun to shoot it for the first time. I cleaned it and put a small amount of lubrication per the manual. Using Federal 115grain FMJ, I immediately started getting FTFs with almost every round. Basically I had to manually rack after each shot to chamber the next round. The gun also failed to go to slide lock on the final round.

Soon this progressed to a frequent combination of double-feeds, FTF and FTEs. In addition, the trigger was so gritty at some times the friction seemed to prevent it from resetting. I was needless to say not real happy, but continued on and burned through about 100 rounds. By the end, the issues seemed to be infrequent. The trigger started to smooth out and most magazines were trouble free. I figure I'll put another few hundred rounds through it to break it in and it should be fine. Provided I have 500 trouble free rounds in a a row, I'll make it my EDC. I still think it's a great little pistol, even if I was surprised by these teething issues.

To be fair, I bought a Gen4 G19 (which I ended up returning for the Gen3) which had a lot of issues too. In that case, I had bought it specifically for a class so I didn't have the luxury of waiting to resolve stuff. If I find myself continuing to have issues, I will contact Walther, but I'm pretty confident with a few hundred more rounds things will smooth out. My only complaint now is that due to the magazine release, it's impossible to do administrative reloads while the gun is holstered. I'm hoping to use the gun in a class or two and I already know that will suck in a class. C'est la vie.

Few pics of my G19 next to the PPS:
http://m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=7951&stc=1&d=1301792802
http://m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=7953&stc=1&d=1301792802
http://m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=7952&stc=1&d=1301792802

opmike
04-02-11, 21:46
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your impressions.

ChicagoTex
04-03-11, 01:50
While I absolutely hate the forum it resides in, this post's (http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9003) lubrication guide permanently solved the "failure to reset" problem for me and the occaisonal failure to go into battery when hand-racking the slide.
Fortunately I've never experienced any actual failures like you have, but hopefully this will help anyway.

The PPS is a wonderful weapon system, please don't give up hope just yet.

JimmyB62
04-03-11, 02:39
FYI if you were shooting the Federal Champion line of 9mm 115 fmj, it is THE weakest factory load I have ever shot. That may account for part of your issues.

jh9
04-03-11, 06:02
FYI if you were shooting the Federal Champion line of 9mm 115 fmj, it is THE weakest factory load I have ever shot. That may account for part of your issues.

I've heard this before, and it does feel light. But it also chronos in the 1170s out my g17. About the same as WWB AFAIK.

oldtexan
04-03-11, 08:28
While I absolutely hate the forum it resides in, this post's (http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9003) lubrication guide permanently solved the "failure to reset" problem for me and the occaisonal failure to go into battery when hand-racking the slide.
Fortunately I've never experienced any actual failures like you have, but hopefully this will help anyway.

The PPS is a wonderful weapon system, please don't give up hope just yet.

I have two 9mm PPS that my wife and I bought in the last year. They are her home defense/carry guns. We've put about 1100 rd through each of them. My experience parallels those of the poster (Dmars) in the linked post above.

IMO: The PPS is a tight gun that definitely needs a break-in period, at least 200 but maybe more depending on the particular PPS.

The PPS likes to be run very wet, much wetter than a Glock, especially when new.

Weak 115 gr. ammo is not the best choice to break in the PPS. Most 115 gr standard pressure ammo is weaker than most 124 gr and 147 gr std pressure ammo in terms of recoil impulse IMO. I recommend some good 124 or 147 gr. ammo instead because it provides a heavier recoil impulse than 115 gr. that assists reliability especially when the gun is not yet fully broken in. If you can find it, the Win White box 124 gr NATO FMJ is good stuff and affordable. If not, good alternates would be 124 gr or 147 gr ammo in various lines, including Win USA, Fed American Eagle, Fiocchi, Speer Lawman, etc.

rburris
04-03-11, 08:41
Congrats on your positive experience. I can't recommend the PPS because of the stupid backstrap safety, which disables the gun when it fails. I had a PPS and loved it until the backstrap safety failed completely. S&W fixed it, but their lame excuse/explanation didn't pass the smell test. I hope yours never fails.

Hmac
04-03-11, 09:12
My wife bought a 9mm PPS. I liked it a lot but she wouldn't let me use it, so I bought my own. In both pistols, the trigger tended toward the gritty/mushy side and cleared up, but in over 2000 rounds between them, neither has had a single malfunction.

I agree the backstrap safety is a dumb idea, but it hasn't caused either of us any problem. OTOH, we never remove them...see no need.

Cagemonkey
04-03-11, 11:00
Some time when I have the money, I plan on getting one these for the wife.

Powder_Burn
04-03-11, 11:07
I would agree that light loads in an already tight gun could be part of the issue. Also, the PPS ships dry and has a thin coat of waxy preservative on the internals. It needs a light cleaning out of the box and as you stated the latest iteration of the manual adds a page identifying six points where the PPS needs quality lube applied (i.e. no Rem Oil or WD-40!). I used this guide along with some Miltec and have never encountered any FTF's/FTE's. Across the first few hundred rounds, mine had a draggy trigger and three failures to reset before I followed the maintenance instructions. Since then, I treat it like any other service gun and it has been trouble free.

Also, it is probably a good idea to avoid the early production models. If you want to know how fresh a specimen is, here are the Walther date codes:

A B C D E F G H I K
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

The letter corresponds to the numbers so 'AK' is a 2009 build for example. This is the identifier is found between the "N" proof mark and the stag horn (Ulm) on the slide. I personally would not want a PPS built prior to this date as I have seen too many issues reported with older vintages. If you bought this PPS secondhand and it is a 2007-2008 build, I would be tempted to get a newer one from later production run. Easier than spending time and money to chase gremlins.

zacbol
04-03-11, 12:37
Some helpful comments, particularly the link to the thread on defensivecarry. Just to be clear, I did clean and lube the gun per the manual, including the loading ramp which is mentioned in said thread (not even sure if it says to do that in the manual but it appeared as a metal-to-metal wear point and I lube all such contact points normally). It is a NIB gun, would have to pull it out to check the year but I'm pretty sure it's of recent manufacture.

To reiterate for those thinking I'm ragging on the gun, I'm confident the issues will resolve themselves or will be resolved via the assistance of Walther, if it comes to that. I'm in no way giving up on it just a little disappointed my first session.

As for ammo, I'm using Federal American Eagle, not Champion, though I'm guessing it's the same stuff, just branded differently. My only problem with the 'it's weak ammo' argument, is that it seems no matter what ammo I buy, I end up seeing posts about how it's crappy. WWB, Remington, Federal (now), S&B, CCI, etc. Who makes good ammo? (This is a rhetorical question btw)

In fact, I looked for higher quality ammo at the range, since I only have the Federal in bulk but they just had the same Federal stuff I'd brought with me and Sellier & Bellot, which in my experience is even weaker/crappier than the Federal. Nonetheless I bought a box of the S&B to see if it made any difference as this was the brand that ran flawlessly in the rental gun I'd tried. I hadn't thought about using a heavier grain bullet (I thought it'd be *more* likely to have issues) but I may try that. But again, towards the end my 100-150 round session things seemed to be clearing up so I think all of this may be unnecessary.

At minimum, I'll probably do a few of the things mentioned in the defensivecarry thread and see how things go next time. I'll update this thread after my next few range trips and let folks who may be curious about the gun know what happens.

C4IGrant
04-03-11, 15:17
The PPS can benefit from polishing some key points that aid in feeding. Shooting at least 100rds also helps a lot. I will have to post some pics of what I did to mine.

The gun is tight and needs so rounds down range before things settle down.

I also got a Raven holster for mine and man does it ride nice and light. Very nice package and is my new favorite CCW setup.

For those interested, I have the 8rd PPS mags in stock. :D

C4

Nytcrawler93
04-03-11, 18:23
The PPS 9mm I owned was great after about 150 rounds. The first 100 were horrible. It needed to break in. I got rid of it because I could not get consistent results shooting it. It was not the gun, it was just too thin of a grip for me to shoot. I picked up an XDM 3.8 compact and there is not much difference when carrying it than the PPS. I actually use the same DeSantis Nemesis holster when pocket carrying. The PPS is a fine firearm but I came to the conclusion after owning one that it was not comfortable to shoot extended sessions at the range and I needed something bigger for my primary weapon. The gun does have a niche and it fills it well, just not for me. My 2 cents.

zacbol
04-03-11, 18:34
The PPS 9mm I owned was great after about 150 rounds. The first 100 were horrible. It needed to break in. I got rid of it because I could not get consistent results shooting it. It was not the gun, it was just too thin of a grip for me to shoot. I picked up an XDM 3.8 compact and there is not much difference when carrying it than the PPS. I actually use the same DeSantis Nemesis holster when pocket carrying. The PPS is a fine firearm but I came to the conclusion after owning one that it was not comfortable to shoot extended sessions at the range and I needed something bigger for my primary weapon. The gun does have a niche and it fills it well, just not for me. My 2 cents.
That seems to mirror my experience so far.

It went from absolutely horrible, racking after every round due to either FTE/FTF, to pretty consistent by round 150. Still not flawless but I hope it'll improve to the point where I'm comfortable carrying it. When it *was* functioning I was actually more accurate than with my G19. Oddly enough, I still shoot the best with my HK45 even with its horrible DA pull. Maybe not odd, since I have the most rounds downrange with it of the three.

zacbol
04-03-11, 18:37
The PPS can benefit from polishing some key points that aid in feeding. Shooting at least 100rds also helps a lot. I will have to post some pics of what I did to mine.

The gun is tight and needs so rounds down range before things settle down.

I also got a Raven holster for mine and man does it ride nice and light. Very nice package and is my new favorite CCW setup.

For those interested, I have the 8rd PPS mags in stock. :D

C4
I already have three of them on their way to me from your store. Very fairly priced too. I see folks on GB charging upwards of $50 in some cases. Yikes.

ChicagoTex
04-03-11, 21:54
I will have to post some pics of what I did to mine.

Please do. I keep hearing about how there are certain elements of the PPS that can benefit from polishing, but have been unable to find specifics from any credible source.

For those interested, I have the 8rd PPS mags in stock.

I am very interested and was planning to place an order with you towards the end of this month/beginning of next month anyway for some other things. Would you mind telling me how much you're charging for said mags (a PM is fine if you're uncomfortable posting it publicly for some reason)?

zacbol
04-03-11, 22:14
Please do. I keep hearing about how there are certain elements of the PPS that can benefit from polishing, but have been unable to find specifics from any credible source.

I am very interested and was planning to place an order with you towards the end of this month/beginning of next month anyway for some other things. Would you mind telling me how much you're charging for said mags (a PM is fine if you're uncomfortable posting it publicly for some reason)?
The price is listed on the G&R Tactical website: $38

ChicagoTex
04-03-11, 22:58
The price is listed on the G&R Tactical website: $38

Good catch, I don't know how I missed that.

Thanks.

okie john
04-03-11, 23:06
I rented one at my local range and found myself shooting *better* with it that the G19.

Which range was that? I've been looking to rent a PPS in the Seattle area.

Okie John

zacbol
04-03-11, 23:21
Which range was that? I've been looking to rent a PPS in the Seattle area.

Okie John
West Coast Armory in Bellevue

okie john
04-03-11, 23:42
Thanks.

Okie John

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-04-11, 01:55
Is the PPS small enough to pocket carry, with the right holster? Always seemed like an interesting gun.

Outrider
04-04-11, 03:06
I have seen pocket holsters for the PPS, but my personal take is that while slim, the dimensions are too big overall for carry in in the front or rear pocket of a pair of pants. Maybe I need different jeans or slacks but it doesn't fit in the front or rear pocket.

-For context, I use the medium size (seven round 9mm) mag for carry. I won't go to the short mag without a place for the pinky finger.

Palmguy
04-04-11, 05:41
Grant, any chance you'll be able to get some of the 7 round mags in stock?

On the topic of pocket carry, I personally think the PPS is a bit large for that.

C4IGrant
04-04-11, 08:40

Mags are $38: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=WAF67002

C4

C4IGrant
04-04-11, 08:41
Is the PPS small enough to pocket carry, with the right holster? Always seemed like an interesting gun.

Yes, but that would not be my first choice.

C4

C4IGrant
04-04-11, 08:41
Grant, any chance you'll be able to get some of the 7 round mags in stock?

On the topic of pocket carry, I personally think the PPS is a bit large for that.

We have some on order, but don't know when we will see them.

C4

Powder_Burn
04-04-11, 09:21
Is the PPS small enough to pocket carry, with the right holster?

Yes if you use 6 round mags and an ultra thin kydex pocket holster like a FIST #K5. You would still need cargo type pants with larger pockets though.

SouthNarc
04-04-11, 10:19
Has anyone gone after a PPS with a soldering iron yet? They're awful slick.

C4IGrant
04-04-11, 10:32
Has anyone gone after a PPS with a soldering iron yet? They're awful slick.

Had the same thought as you the other day when I was shooting it.

C4

onado2000
04-04-11, 10:54
OP, Im curious to know why you went from a G19 to a Wather PPS and not to a G26?. Why not a sub compact Glock? I only ask because I went from a G19 to a 26. I looked at the PPS, but I could'nt get past the mag release & the PPS are $200 more here in Ct. Also it was an easier transition & I already have plenty of hi cap magazines (btw, vote no to RB1094). I dont want to start a Glock/Walther debate, Im just interested to know the reason. Thanks. Dan

PrivateCitizen
04-04-11, 11:09
For those that have carried this AND an M&P 9 Compact, is the difference significant?

Obviously the single stack makes it thinner and a few ounces and 4 rounds lighter.

With the M&P it can still use full size mags, familiar grip, etc.

Just wondering if is 'that' much smaller than the M&P for a summer CCW.

Hmac
04-04-11, 11:12
OP, Im curious to know why you went from a G19 to a Wather PPS and not to a G26?. Why not a sub compact Glock? I only ask because I went from a G19 to a 26. I looked at the PPS, but I could'nt get past the mag release & the PPS are $200 more here in Ct. Also it was an easier transition & I already have plenty of hi cap magazines (btw, vote no to RB1094). I dont want to start a Glock/Walther debate, Im just interested to know the reason. Thanks. Dan

I don't know about the OP, but for my wife (and me) the deal-breaker was the thickness of the grip with double-stack mag and lack of 5th finger support, as well as the overall pistol thickness and weight of the whole package. We both looked hard at the G26, and with blue-label discount the price difference was significant, but went PPS anyway. No regrets.

C4IGrant
04-04-11, 11:41
For those that have carried this AND an M&P 9 Compact, is the difference significant?

Obviously the single stack makes it thinner and a few ounces and 4 rounds lighter.

With the M&P it can still use full size mags, familiar grip, etc.

Just wondering if is 'that' much smaller than the M&P for a summer CCW.

The PPS is MUCH lighter and thinner than a G26 or M&P compact.

The PPS is so small and light, that I almost forget that it is on me.

C4

Pistol Shooter
04-04-11, 12:12
I've got 1,700 rds. of assorted fmj and jhp ammo through my 9mm PPS with zero malfunctions to date.

I've also been very impressed with the excellent accuracy from a pistol with a 3.2" barrel.

After approximately 500 rds. my trigger smoothed out considerably.

Good luck zacbol, I feel sure you'll get your PPS's quirks worked out. :)

zacbol
04-04-11, 12:29
I don't know about the OP, but for my wife (and me) the deal-breaker was the thickness of the grip with double-stack mag and lack of 5th finger support, as well as the overall pistol thickness and weight of the whole package. We both looked hard at the G26, and with blue-label discount the price difference was significant, but went PPS anyway. No regrets.
+1

The G26 is still a double-stack. My problem with the G19 isn't it's length or height, it's that it's so damn thick. As I noted, I have no problem concealing the G19 (or really even that much problem concealing my HK45), but I constantly know it's there because of the big heavy lump in my back. As C4IGrant said, with the PPS and a good IWB leather holster you basically forget it's there.

Add to that with the Walther and the 7-round mag I can have a full grip (which is not possible with the G26) that feels *more* comfortable to me than even the G19, and it was an easy decision.

Provided I can get the gun running smoothly, I may try to standardize on Walther (pick up a P99 or PPQ) and ditch Glock for carry, though I can't imagine getting rid of the G19 and the load of magazines I have. Everyone should have at least one G19.

I actually started to find myself faster with the weird trigger safety (though I still have some safety concerns about actuating something so close to the trigger). The only real thing I dislike about the gun (provided I get it running smoothly) is that you can't do admin reloads while holstered. This may seem like a minor thing, but in handgun classes I've done I've found this a big deal, particularly with the lower capacity magazines where you're constantly trying to make sure you're topped off.

ChicagoTex
04-04-11, 14:51

I've carried my PPS with the 6 round mag in a crappy-ass Uncle Mike's pocket holster every day for the last year and a half, 95% of the time in slacks and 5% of the time in jeans without issue, but then again I'm a big dude and my big pants may come with bigger pockets than most.

Now that I've finally gotten a job that actually pays decent money I fully intend to get a much better holster for it.

On the plus side, on the 2 or 3 times I've holster carried it, it fits just fine in both my Glock 26 Galco Fletch and Glock 26 Crossbreed Supertuck.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-04-11, 20:20
I've carried my PPS with the 6 round mag in a crappy-ass Uncle Mike's pocket holster every day for the last year and a half, 95% of the time in slacks and 5% of the time in jeans without issue, but then again I'm a big dude and my big pants may come with bigger pockets than most.

Now that I've finally gotten a job that actually pays decent money I fully intend to get a much better holster for it.

On the plus side, on the 2 or 3 times I've holster carried it, it fits just fine in both my Glock 26 Galco Fletch and Glock 26 Crossbreed Supertuck.

What holster are you looking to upgrade to?

I have a buddy who is very averse to the size of things he puts into his pockets. He is a nut about small phones, and he is a big guy.

I forget when I have iphone in my pocket, sometimes even a wrench- so I'm pretty immune to weight, and unfortunately, I have big pockets too ;)

ChicagoTex
04-04-11, 20:24
What holster are you looking to upgrade to?

Was seriously considering a FIST. I really like the push-tab design, especially for loosely fitting slacks pockets where the friction of the outside of the holster can be unreliable.

Beat Trash
04-05-11, 03:25
Was seriously considering a FIST. I really like the push-tab design, especially for loosely fitting slacks pockets where the friction of the outside of the holster can be unreliable.

I've used a FIST Kydex pocket holster for years. Had one made for a Glock 26. Great holster for what it's intended usage is.

sro579
04-05-11, 06:41
I have around 800 rounds in my Walther PPS. I had 2 FTRB in the first 50 rounds which I think was caused by the extra stiff magazine springs. Followed all other break in procedures outlined above and it has been flawless since. It disappears under a t shirt in a Crossbreed Supertuck. Absolutely love it for concealed carry.

oldtexan
04-05-11, 08:32

My wife uses a FIST pocket holster for her PPS when it's in the nightstand. It provides an extra layer of protection against an ND/AD compared to just putting an uncovered gun in the nightstand. We really like being able to draw one-handed thanks to the thumb tab.

We have several other FIST pocket holsters that we use for the same purpose for Glocks and a Kahr K9.

I recommend specifying the tension adjustment screw because the holster seems to loosen up a tiny bit over time. I guess this is because FIST's kydex is relatively thin. This is the only issue we've had with them.

zacbol
04-05-11, 15:58
Put another 130-140 rounds throught the PPS today at lunch over the course of 30-40 minutes. Mostly it was an exercise in 'converting money into noise' rather than disciplined shooting, but hey, whatever.

Other than 1 FTF in the 1st or 2nd magazine, I had 0 FTEs/FTFs. I tried variously 115gr, 124gr, and 147gr.

The only remaining issues I have is that the trigger reset is still somewhat gritty, but it's not sticking like it was (i.e. failing to reset). Additionally, other than one magazine with 147gr the gun never goes to slide lock on the final round.

Overall, though, I'm quite happy with the improvement. Provided the next few hundred rounds go like this (including several magazines with Gold Dots which are my carry round) I'll start carrying it.

zacbol
04-05-11, 23:44
Video of 2 trouble free magazines at 7 yards. The gun still fails to go to slide lock on the final round and has a somewhat gritty reset, but otherwise seems to be performing well at this point. I tried various brands of 115 grain, 124 grain, and 147 grain and none were a problem.

Can't say much for the shooting, other than that it sucks. I'm not a great shot period, but at this point I was just trying to plow through rounds.

Only had one 7-round magazine when I shot this, hence the boring reload on tape, though I just received four 8 round magazines from G&R Tactical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa7LFJc9j8M

zacbol
04-11-11, 16:05
Put another 120-150 rounds (I wasn't keeping careful count) today at lunch. For the most part, it was problem free.

I did have significant issues with one magazine of some Winchester SXT 147grain bullets, where I had failure to feeds on nearly every round (and had to rack it manually each time) and one failure to eject that required remedial action to clear.

I had 0 issues with a variety of other 115 grain bullets, including PMC bronze, Speer Lawman, and American Eagle. I don't use 147 grain bullets or use them as carry rounds so the problematic magazine is not a huge deal to me (though still a little disappointing). Provided I get through another 200 rounds of 115 grain bullets without issue (other than failure to go to slide lock), I will consider the gun 'reliable'.

One final point of note, other than on one fluke magazine the gun still does not go to slide lock. As stated previously, I don't consider this a deal breaker but may contact Walther to ask about it. If anyone has tips on this, feel free to chime in.

Canonshooter
04-12-11, 05:20
I am in the process of joining the PPS Club myself. My 9mm model will arrive at a local gun shop this week and I have a Comp-Tac MTAC (http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95) holster on order as well. I'm going to order some extra mags from Grant today.

We've been living in NH for 3 years now. Coming from the Socialist Republic of New York, I figured it's about time that I take advantage of my right to CC in the Live Free or Die state. After handling the PPS and seeing how well it fits my small hands, it looks like just the ticket.

Pistol Shooter
04-12-11, 10:07
I'd give Walther a call and see what they suggest.

Good luck. Keep us updated.

Beat Trash
04-12-11, 16:14
I was at my agencies range today talking to one of our younger officers. He mentioned the PPS during the conversation and when I asked if he had one, he produced one from an ankle holster. (off duty, on duty, backup guns are prohibited, yes, welcome to my world...)

I put a few magazines through it. VERY shootable for a gun it's size. Yes, I've read where several people talked about it's accuracy, but you really have to shoot one, then stop and look at the size of the gun you just shot to appreciate the total package.

As we walked back to the range house, I ran into Grant from G&R (He drove down to do some training - hope you managed to salvage something out of the trip). During my conversation with Grant, he produces his own PPS, and a Phantom holster to go along with it.

I think I'm about to become a PPS owner...

PS (no pun intended) The Phantom holster for the PPS is a great combination for this gun. Grant said he has them in stock, Just saying...

Palmguy
04-12-11, 16:17
PS (no pun intended) The Phantom holster for the PPS is a great combination for this gun. Grant said he has them in stock, Just saying...

What did he say he has in stock, the holster or the gun?

Beat Trash
04-12-11, 16:20
The holster. I didn't ask about the gun at the time. (He's about a 4-5 hours drive away from my location.)

zacbol
04-12-11, 16:24
I put a few magazines through it. VERY shootable for a gun it's size. Yes, I've read where several people talked about it's accuracy, but you really have to shoot one, then stop and look at the size of the gun you just shot to appreciate the total package.

I put a few rounds through my G19 at the last range session and while I am generally better with the Glock, as it recoils a bit more softly, it's not by much. For being such a small gun, I was floored I could shoot the PPS as well as I could which is why I bought one on the spot after I shot a rental.

A Raven Phantom? Or does someone else make a holster called a Phantom? I don't see it on his site and generally the wait time on anything from RCS is like 6 months right now.

I'm quite happy with the Stronghold Phoenix Occidental IWB leather holster, which is one of the few I could find and on par with a Kramer or Milt Sparks. But it was a little pricey at $150 and having I do like kydex holsters. I have a Phantom for my HK45 I wear OWB for classes and such. If he has them in stock, I'll put in an order now.

zacbol
04-12-11, 16:25
The holster. I didn't ask about the gun at the time. (He's about a 4-5 hours drive away from my location.)
This is all I can find right now:
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&keywords=holster

Beat Trash
04-12-11, 16:28
He said it was a Raven Phantom, looked like one (though I don't own one, so can't tell). He also said the wait on one was a few months, but he had some in stock for the PPS.

He's shooting today and tomorrow. You might send him an email and ask to be sure.

Canonshooter
04-16-11, 13:29
As per my previous post, my PPS in 9mm and Comp-Tac holster arrived this week so I headed to the range today.

The pistol was supplied with two magazines, a seven round and an eight round. I have two more eight-rounders inbound from Grant so I'm in good shape in that department.

The PPS fits in the Comp-Tac holster nicely and the rig is comfortable and easy to conceal.

Before firing the PPS for the first time, I field stripped it and gave it a good cleaning. I lubed it well with Slip 2000.

The trigger pull is lighter than my G17, but as many others have reported, rough at this point. It improved after today's range session so I suspect it will smooth out nicely over time. The shop where I purchased the PPS has an indoor range and gun rentals. The rental PPS that I handled prior to buying had a very smooth trigger.

I fired 170 rounds total today with zero malfunctions. The pistol functioned perfectly in every regard. All tolled, I shot 100 rounds of Blazer 124 grain TMJ (aluminum case), 25 rounds of CCI 124 grain Gold Dot hollow point, 25 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 124 grain +P hollow point and 20 rounds of Geco 124 grain FMJ NATO-spec.

I fired the pistol at 2 distances; from at 30 feet slow fire and 21 feet rapid fired (from "fast deliberate" fire to as fast as I could pull the trigger).

As already noted, the PPS has superb accuracy for such a small pistol. I believe it's every bit as accurate as my G17 and not far off from my factory-tuned 5906. The longer sight radius of the G17 and 5906 make both of those more accurate for distance shots, but up close for rapid fire, the PPS is every bit as good. So in the accuracy department, the PPS is truly excellent.

Like others, I found the PPS easy to shoot. I have small hands so it actually fits my hands better than the G17 or 5906, which no doubt makes me feel very comfortable with the PPS. It's comfortable in the hand and very controlable, but I'm looking forward to the trigger smoothing out with use.

The Walther-style magazine release is quite a bit different for me. Since I'm already "trained" to shift my grip to reach the mag release button on the G17 and 5906, I found a smaller shift of my hand to allow my middle finger to hit the PPS magazine release works fine. It didn't take long to get used to manipulating the mag release this way.

The sights are quite good for a small gun and the pistol hits POA, not "6 o'clock hold" like the G17 or 5906. With the various 124 grain loads I shot today, the sights were dead on. If I decide to change the sights, I will go with the Meprolight Tritiums (http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-meprolight-night-sights-for-walther-pistols.html).

In conclusion, I am very happy with the PPS. It seems well made, it fits my small hands better than any other handgun I own, it's comfortable and easy to fire with good accuracy and is easy to conceal. Barring any problems as I continue to shoot it, it is well on its way to becoming my favorite handgun.

zacbol
04-16-11, 14:54
He said it was a Raven Phantom, looked like one (though I don't own one, so can't tell). He also said the wait on one was a few months, but he had some in stock for the PPS.

He's shooting today and tomorrow. You might send him an email and ask to be sure.
FYI...

For anyone interested in these, I messaged Grant and it turns out these are only intended for those who are also purchasing a PPS from him. Makes sense as the wait time is significant and it's a nice thing to do for those who buy from him.

zacbol
04-16-11, 14:57
As per my previous post, my PPS in 9mm and Comp-Tac holster arrived this week so I headed to the range today.

The pistol was supplied with two magazines, a seven round and an eight round. I have two more eight-rounders inbound from Grant so I'm in good shape in that department.

The PPS fits in the Comp-Tac holster nicely and the rig is comfortable and easy to conceal.

Before firing the PPS for the first time, I field stripped it and gave it a good cleaning. I lubed it well with Slip 2000.

The trigger pull is lighter than my G17, but as many others have reported, rough at this point. It improved after today's range session so I suspect it will smooth out nicely over time. The shop where I purchased the PPS has an indoor range and gun rentals. The rental PPS that I handled prior to buying had a very smooth trigger.

I fired 170 rounds total today with zero malfunctions. The pistol functioned perfectly in every regard. All tolled, I shot 100 rounds of Blazer 124 grain TMJ (aluminum case), 25 rounds of CCI 124 grain Gold Dot hollow point, 25 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 124 grain +P hollow point and 20 rounds of Geco 124 grain FMJ NATO-spec.

I fired the pistol at 2 distances; from at 30 feet slow fire and 21 feet rapid fired (from "fast deliberate" fire to as fast as I could pull the trigger).

As already noted, the PPS has superb accuracy for such a small pistol. I believe it's every bit as accurate as my G17 and not far off from my factory-tuned 5906. The longer sight radius of the G17 and 5906 make both of those more accurate for distance shots, but up close for rapid fire, the PPS is every bit as good. So in the accuracy department, the PPS is truly excellent.

Like others, I found the PPS easy to shoot. I have small hands so it actually fits my hands better than the G17 or 5906, which no doubt makes me feel very comfortable with the PPS. It's comfortable in the hand and very controlable, but I'm looking forward to the trigger smoothing out with use.

The Walther-style magazine release is quite a bit different for me. Since I'm already "trained" to shift my grip to reach the mag release button on the G17 and 5906, I found a smaller shift of my hand to allow my middle finger to hit the PPS magazine release works fine. It didn't take long to get used to manipulating the mag release this way.

The sights are quite good for a small gun and the pistol hits POA, not "6 o'clock hold" like the G17 or 5906. With the various 124 grain loads I shot today, the sights were dead on. If I decide to change the sights, I will go with the Meprolight Tritiums (http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-meprolight-night-sights-for-walther-pistols.html).

In conclusion, I am very happy with the PPS. It seems well made, it fits my small hands better than any other handgun I own, it's comfortable and easy to fire with good accuracy and is easy to conceal. Barring any problems as I continue to shoot it, it is well on its way to becoming my favorite handgun.
You're thoughts echo my own, though I'm definitely jealous of the 0 malfunctions.

I'm curious to see what your results are if you try some 115 grain and 147 grain bullets. Did you have any issues in the gun failing to go to slide lock or did I just get a bum gun? I haven't contacted Walther yet but probably will just to see what they say.

Canonshooter
04-16-11, 15:27
I'm curious to see what your results are if you try some 115 grain and 147 grain bullets. Did you have any issues in the gun failing to go to slide lock or did I just get a bum gun?

I have no interest in the 115s but will give 147s a try at some point.

The slide locked back every time and using the slide release on a fully loaded magazine, it went into battery every time. I used both magazines about equally through today's session.

If I were in your shoes, I'd contact Walther.

Hmac
04-16-11, 16:09
The vast majority of what I have shot from our two PPS is 115 grain PMC Bronze, also no malfunctions in either pistol.

I also noted that the PPS wants a center hold on the target. At my request, S&W sent me a couple of #3 front sights, which are shorter and now the target hold is the same as my P229.

Beat Trash
04-16-11, 17:12
The PPS 9mm I shot, granted I only put a couple of magazines through it, had a very so-so trigger reset. Can anyone comment if this will improve with usage?

C4IGrant
04-16-11, 17:27
The PPS 9mm I shot, granted I only put a couple of magazines through it, had a very so-so trigger reset. Can anyone comment if this will improve with usage?

It will improve with shooting.

C4

Beat Trash
04-16-11, 21:10
Thanks...

Canonshooter
04-16-11, 22:35

Something else to consider - the lubrication points shown in the owner's manual are IMO bare minimun. I lubed mine in other areas as well, inlcuding where the trigger bar comes in contact with the disconnector. The trigger reset on mine is about the same as my Glock.

From everything I have read so far, it would appear the PPS benefits from more generous lubrication than what is suggested in the owner's manual.

Canonshooter
04-30-11, 18:05
Another 9mm PPS Update

Over the last few weeks I spent some time looking at the trigger mechanism contact points in the frame. As reported by others, the trigger pull improves with use and I found a couple of spots to clean up that helped speed up that process. The trigger pull on my PPS is now much smoother and the break cleaner, though the weight remains the same. For a small carry pistol, the trigger pull is just fine.

I made another trip to the range today for the purpose of getting more trigger time and continue the function testing with a new load, Federal's P9HST3 +P 124 hollow point. I also shot more of the CCI Blazer 124 grain and more of the Geco 124 grain NATO-spec load. As was the case with my first outing, the PPS shot these loads perfectly with no issues.

Another part of my "mission" today was to spend some time to see how accurate the little pistol really is, and I was very pleasantly surprised. From 35 yards using a 55 gallon drum as a barricade with my hands resting on top of the drum, I fired three groups with three different loads. The target below is the 6-shot group I fired with the Federal load - the CCI and Geco loads shot nearly as well. For such a small, easy-to-carry pistol, there is no doubt that the accuracy potential is there if the shooter does their part. The group printed point of aim as well, which is very nice.

With 300 rounds now through the PPS, the trigger smoothing out and me learning how to squeeze some accuracy out of it, I'm becoming very comfortable with the PPS. The Comp-Tac holster is also working out well with this pistol, making it easy and comfortable to carry concealed.

At this point, I can say I'm very pleased with the PPS!

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/ppstarget-1.jpg
Walther PPS 9mm, Federal P9HST3, 35 yards barricade (hands supported), slow fire.

Hmac
04-30-11, 18:43
Assuming you were aiming at the center of that target, I note that you're group is about 2.5 inches low. That seems to be pretty common on that pistol with the standard #4 German front sight.

Paul45
04-30-11, 22:13
I've had one for well over 2 years now. Close to 3500 rounds thru it. It goes in my left front pocket in a DeSantis holster when thin is required and my G36 is too big. Most jeans and casual slacks work well.
It has been very reliable. I use the 6 rd mag with the 8 rd as back up.
Ranger T 127 +P+.

dcfis
04-30-11, 23:13
I just picked up a very lightly used PPS9 and already put 400 rounds through it. 0 FTF/FTE or anything like that. Still havent cleaned it at all. So far I am very impressed

The PPS is a dream of a carry gun. Damn thing disappears and not the BS tripe what people usually say meaning that they can deal with the discomfort. This absolutely disappears and you are only reminded of it when your hand brushes it. Spent the whole afternoon in the new Kydex holster I made doing garage and yard work, noticed it at one point and thought about taking it off, but THAT was too much effort.

kydex is more comfy than the Crossbreed it came with
http://i54.tinypic.com/znn988.jpg
Seeing what the larger mag felt like. The flush one is the way to go for super stealth
http://i56.tinypic.com/2zsu0d1.jpg
Very easy to shoot, better with it at a fast encounter pace than anything but my P99.
http://i55.tinypic.com/2ir4t8i.jpg
Need a bit more time with the double taps as the second shot goes low left. Though they are spot on. Look at all those low left double holes.
http://i53.tinypic.com/25yu4p0.jpg

All in all I am very sorry I waited so long to pick one up. I was a holdout for a AS trigger though I find this QA very nice to shoot but still have reservations about safe carry. Not that I wont be careful and vigilant, just that Im not at ease like I am with the AS decocked. If they ever make a AS I will jump on it but unlikely this one is leaving.

I do have one suggestion. Offer it in a SC with about .5" lopped off the front and this would be perfection for even pocket carry. im going to make a pocket holster soon, though that .5" does make a difference.

Canonshooter
05-01-11, 06:11
Assuming you were aiming at the center of that target, I note that you're group is about 2.5 inches low. That seems to be pretty common on that pistol with the standard #4 German front sight.

I was holding 6 o'clock on the orange as it gave me the best sight picture at that range. Also, I was looking through the close-up section of my bifocals to get a good focus on the sights, so placing the full orange circle on top of the front sight made precise alignment a little easier.

I've had one for well over 2 years now. Close to 3500 rounds thru it. It goes in my left front pocket in a DeSantis holster when thin is required and my G36 is too big. Most jeans and casual slacks work well.
It has been very reliable. I use the 6 rd mag with the 8 rd as back up.
Ranger T 127 +P+.

I have some of the Ranger load too that I use in my G17C - I'll need to give it a try. The Federal has felt the hottest out of all of the loads I have tried in the PPS so far.

Beat Trash
05-01-11, 14:20
I was holding 6 o'clock on the orange as it gave me the best sight picture at that range.

If in fact you were using a 6 o'clock hold, I could live with that POA/POI.

Hmac
05-01-11, 14:42
If in fact you were using a 6 o'clock hold, I could live with that POA/POI.

Yeah, that would be great. Rumor has it that the PPS wants a center-of-target hold per European custom, and that's what I found...6 o'clock hold from 25 yards got me consistently 2 inches low.

C4IGrant
05-02-11, 14:08
For those interested, we just got some of the super rare 7rd mags in stock.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=WAF67001

C4

zacbol
05-09-11, 16:38
Ran through a box of Gold Dots after cleaning and inspecting the weapon again. First magazine went fine and the weapon went to slide lock. On the 2nd magazine, I got one FTF and the weapon did *not* go to slide lock. I am going to contact Walther and see what they say--just haven't had the time yet.

C4IGrant
05-09-11, 17:15
Ran through a box of Gold Dots after cleaning and inspecting the weapon again. First magazine went fine and the weapon went to slide lock. On the 2nd magazine, I got one FTF and the weapon did *not* go to slide lock. I am going to contact Walther and see what they say--just haven't had the time yet.

Most guns are not broken in for several hundred rounds. THe PPS is tight weapon that needs a break in period.

If the slide did not lock back, it could be that your thumb made contact with the slide release. Load one round into the mag and shoot it. Pay attention to your thumbs and see what you get.

C4

zacbol
05-09-11, 19:22
Most guns are not broken in for several hundred rounds. THe PPS is tight weapon that needs a break in period.

If the slide did not lock back, it could be that your thumb made contact with the slide release. Load one round into the mag and shoot it. Pay attention to your thumbs and see what you get.

C4
If you look back through my posts on this thread, you'll see I'm probably at about 400 rounds through the PPS of various grain bullets using differing hand positions (including making sure my thumb was not contacting the slide release), etc. I still am having issues.

The PPS has improved immeasurably since my first outing, but it still is not exactly confidence inspiring. I'm not giving up on it yet, though.

I was pretty happy with the first magazine of Gold Dots (that's my carry round), I guess it's good I tried the second magazine. :(

SouthNarc
05-11-11, 08:39
Hey Grant did you ever play around with any stippling on the PPS?

C4IGrant
05-11-11, 09:07
Hey Grant did you ever play around with any stippling on the PPS?

Hey brother, not yet, but have an idea on where I want to do it.

C4

Littlelebowski
05-11-11, 09:21
I'd consider leaving the slide locked back for a week or so, zacbol.

Or just running the shit out of it for a day or two :D

As Grant said, these pistols need to break in.

SouthNarc
05-11-11, 09:27
Cool! I'm riding the fence on whether I want to pick one of these up, so I'll wait and see what you come up with. I've only shot the PPS once but it seemed to be a crazy accurate little pistol. No problems on dinging a six inch plate at 25.

BTW that trigger job on my M&P is the envy everyone who I let shoot it.

C4IGrant
05-11-11, 10:35
Cool! I'm riding the fence on whether I want to pick one of these up, so I'll wait and see what you come up with. I've only shot the PPS once but it seemed to be a crazy accurate little pistol. No problems on dinging a six inch plate at 25.

BTW that trigger job on my M&P is the envy everyone who I let shoot it.

I have the LE versions on order (NS's, 3 mags) and also stock the RCS holsters for them.

The PPS is now my primary CCW weapon of choice and was doing some drills with it. For fun, I did a walk back drill with it on 10X12 steel. Was able to hit it pretty easy out past 75yds.

Glad you like the trigger and thanks for the feedback.

C4

zacbol
05-11-11, 10:40
I'd consider leaving the slide locked back for a week or so, zacbol.

Or just running the shit out of it for a day or two :D

As Grant said, these pistols need to break in.
Thanks, I'll try that. I've been trying to run it pretty hard, magazine after magazine faster than I'm able to be accurate (which I wouldn't normally do) just so as to burn through ammo, but perhaps I need to step it up a notch.

I don't have experience with a pistol needing break in. My HK45 and Gen 3 Glock were pretty much GTG out of the box (The Gen 4 G19 I had was returned when it did this, but I had a compelling alternative and immediate need in that case).

Will update this thread as my experience continues. In spite of my issues, I still love this gun. It's amazingly easy to shoot and quite accurate for its size.

tb-av
05-15-11, 17:22
Well I joined the PPS (9mm) club yesterday. Took it to the range today

All shots are two hands no rests or barricades of any sort. I also do not consider myself a good shot by any means.

124 Grain Jacketed - Georgia Arms - Factory Reloads

BA ( 2010 ) date state.

Followed oil routine as noted above. The ramps looked really shinny the long case ramp looked like most pictures you see.

I used Militec and a little heavier red grease quite freely applied. Racked the slide and dry fired maybe 100 times.

Loaded 7 and 8 round mags full. ( Uplulu loader made that easy )

7 Yards First Shot
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=8471&stc=1&d=1305498210
7 Yards First Mag
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=8472&stc=1&d=1305498210
15 Yards 2 Mags
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=8473&stc=1&d=1305498210
I got distracted trying to rush around to get out of someones way as I was using two lanes to shoot in. So the low shots were me screwing up.

LimbSaver 12012 makes the grip feel fantastic and does not hinder the mag release but I think I will give it a trim around that area. Adds maybe 1/8" thickness but actually feels great to me. I use the small back strap. Large back strap did not feel right for me. LimbSaver installs very easily.
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=8474&stc=1&d=1305498210

Zero issues. Nothing went wrong. 100 rounds. Not even a hint of something being off ( except my hold and aim ).

Only question I have. What is the best technique to release mag. Weak hand thumb?

Shot like a dream. For me.. a world apart from the Glock 23 (.40) I sold which shot like a nightmare.

The only minor detail I ran into was weak hand thumb edge would rub on take down latch when I did not grip properly forward enough. Reacquisition of target might be faster than any gun I own.

zacbol
05-15-11, 21:46
Hmmm. I finally got around to emailing Walther using the address listed here:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10002&catalogId=13102&content=43307

Here's what I got in response:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 29 second(s):

* customerservice@waltheramerica.com

This is not an auspicious start. Guess I'll try calling them.

ChicagoTex
05-16-11, 11:19
Only question I have. What is the best technique to release mag. Weak hand thumb?

Most have told me that the shooting hand index finger is the ideal for hitting the mag release on Polymer Walthers, but that doesn't work for me ergonomically, so I end up using my shooting hand middle finger - works quite well on the PPS, worked even better on my P99.

Run some experiments and see what works for you, but I would discourage training yourself to rely on your support hand to do the mag releasing for you (for what should be obvious reasons).

LanceOregon
05-17-11, 05:41
Hmmm. I finally got around to emailing Walther using the address listed here:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10002&catalogId=13102&content=43307

Here's what I got in response:

This is not an auspicious start. Guess I'll try calling them.

It is an 800 number. So it costs nothing to call them. It is far better to actually have a conversation with someone about issues like this, rather than trying to go over it via email.

I just managed to send them an email to their customer service email address with no problem. A great many things on the Internet can prevent an email from being delivered. It does not necessarily mean that there is anything going wrong at their website.

LanceOregon
05-17-11, 06:19
LimbSaver 12012 makes the grip feel fantastic and does not hinder the mag release but I think I will give it a trim around that area. Adds maybe 1/8" thickness but actually feels great to me. I use the small back strap. Large back strap did not feel right for me. LimbSaver installs very easily.
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=8474&stc=1&d=1305498210

I also prefer the smaller backstrap, and likewise have enhanced the grip with the Limbsaver Pro. I have Limbsavers installed on my HK USP and Beretta PX4 Storm also.

However, I found that the smaller Limbsaver Pro Model 2013 was plenty big enough for the Walther PPS. It is maybe slightly undersized for the gun, but it works just fine. I think that the larger Model 2012 may be slightly oversized for the gun.

Here is my .40 S&W PPS with the Limbsaver Pro 2013 installed:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/lanceJOregon/guns/DSC_4381b.jpg

Getting a Limbsaver grip sleeve will be the best $10 that you ever spend on your handgun. They work great on a wide variety of pistols.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/lanceJOregon/guns/PX4.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/lanceJOregon/guns/_DSC6759b.jpg

zacbol
05-17-11, 08:22
It is an 800 number. So it costs nothing to call them. It is far better to actually have a conversation with someone about issues like this, rather than trying to go over it via email.

I just managed to send them an email to their customer service email address with no problem. A great many things on the Internet can prevent an email from being delivered. It does not necessarily mean that there is anything going wrong at their website.

Totally understand and appreciate both points. I actually have a degree in computer science and work on mobile cell phone software. I figured it was something goofy and not that the address didn't work at all. I was mainly just making light of it as nothing seems to have gone right with the gun so far. Not blaming Walther, I'm just laughing at it all.

I ****ing hate calling customer service lines in general.

C4IGrant
05-20-11, 09:15
Did some more trigger polishing/work last night. Since day one, I knew that the striker block/plunger was one of the main reasons for the heavy trigger pull. The block is similar to the S&W M&P's in that it is square (not rounded). So I pulled it and rounded it, polished it and re-installed it. This (along with polishing the striker and trigger bar) made a BIG difference in feel of the trigger and according to my gauge, the pull is now around 6LBS clean.

If I get time, I will post some pics.

C4

tb-av
05-20-11, 10:03
However, I found that the smaller Limbsaver Pro Model 2013 was plenty big enough for the Walther PPS. It is maybe slightly undersized for the gun, but it works just fine. I think that the larger Model 2012 may be slightly oversized for the gun.

Yes, I read a few comments on the 12 vs 13. I have the 12 pushed up very high which I like on the rear side but the front does touch the safety pivot.

I have read several comments that the PPS is not a target pistol that you want to shoot for long. Maybe it's the LimbSaver or maybe it's just me but I shot 100 rounds and it was nothing. I didn't even feel like I had been shooting. Unlike any other compact pistol or revolver I have owned.

I really feel like I have finally found the compact setup that works. Now I need holster and get to reloading. 9mm will be a new caliber for me. I'll try the 115g next time and see which one I like best and just go that route..

@Grant - yes I would like to see some polishing work and what exactly the tools / techniques are used if you ever get time.

My trigger does not actually feel real heavy but it does have a tendency to sort of slide,jump,slide,break when it should just slide,break

zacbol
05-23-11, 12:49
Minor update.

I was able to repeatedly get the gun to go to slide lock by shooting one-handed. I had discounted the possibility that my hand was hitting the slide stop as I consciously was avoiding making contact and have never had this issue on a variety of other handguns. Given Occam's Razor, however, I decided to try shooting one handed and the weapon reliably went to slide lock. No FTFs in the couple magazines I went through.

Nevertheless I had previously contacted Walther and submitted a request (was able to get through via email) but have no heard back yet. I'd still like them to take a look at the weapon given the isues I've had. I'll keep plugging away and update this thread as appropriate.

C4IGrant
06-21-11, 10:08
I have updated my PPS and thought I would share some pics.

Installed the Walther Night Sights and did some stippling. The frame of the PPS takes to stippling well (as long as you control the amount of heat used). This makes a WORLD of difference in the "shootability" of this gun IMHO.

For trigger work, polished the trigger bar and striker. Rounded the striker block and then polished it (makes a big difference).

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/PPS.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/PPS1.jpg

NikokurausuX9
06-21-11, 10:38
That stippling job looks excellent Grant. Well done.

Question for the owners, have you run in to any problems with the gun being disabled if the backstrap is off? Or a solution to disable this "feature"?

C4IGrant
06-21-11, 11:41
That stippling job looks excellent Grant. Well done.

Question for the owners, have you run in to any problems with the gun being disabled if the backstrap is off? Or a solution to disable this "feature"?

Thanks much. I enjoy stipping (relaxing) and am working at becoming better.

The back straps are somewhat hard to get off so I wouldn't worry about the back strap coming off and the gun not working.

C4

zacbol
06-21-11, 11:57
I'm not sure if I understand the question. The gun *is* always disabled when the backstrap is removed.

The takedown procedure as detailed in the manual indicates that one must take the backstrap off as part of disassembly. This allows you to disassemble the gun without pulling the trigger. That said, I've read a few accounts of folks having broken the piece that holds on the backstrap by taking it off and on everytime they cleaned the gun and you don't *have* to take it off....so I don't. I just disassemble it as I would a Glock.

If you're asking if it'd come off by accident, I don't see that happening in normal usage--unless, again, you're taking it on and off a bunch and the retaining clips somehow broke as a result.

NikokurausuX9
06-21-11, 12:53
I'm not sure if I understand the question. The gun *is* always disabled when the backstrap is removed.

The takedown procedure as detailed in the manual indicates that one must take the backstrap off as part of disassembly. This allows you to disassemble the gun without pulling the trigger. That said, I've read a few accounts of folks having broken the piece that holds on the backstrap by taking it off and on everytime they cleaned the gun and you don't *have* to take it off....so I don't. I just disassemble it as I would a Glock.

If you're asking if it'd come off by accident, I don't see that happening in normal usage--unless, again, you're taking it on and off a bunch and the retaining clips somehow broke as a result.

This answers my question. Thanks.

I don't own a PPS so I didn't know that the backstrap disabling the function was part of the breakdown. I was mainly concerned with the backstrap breaking/coming off and disabling the gun at an inopportune time.

LanceOregon
06-21-11, 14:32
I don't own a PPS so I didn't know that the backstrap disabling the function was part of the breakdown.

It is not at all necessary to remove the backstrap to breakdown the pistol for cleaning. The PPS can be taken apart just like any Glock. Just squeeze the trigger, and then pull down on the two takedown levers, and the slide slides right off. The whole process only takes a couple of seconds to do.

The only catch is that you need to make sure that the chamber of the gun is empty, before you squeeze the trigger.

I was mainly concerned with the backstrap breaking/coming off and disabling the gun at an inopportune time.

That is an urban legend, with no basis in fact.

LanceOregon
06-21-11, 14:39
Zacbol:

Did you not follow up with Walther America, and send your PPS in to them? If so, is it now working better for you, and thus made you decide against shipping it in?

Or are you currently waiting for it to come back to you from the factory?

C4IGrant
07-06-11, 11:41
For those interested, we have PPS's in stock and offer trigger work, night sights (factory), stippling and Raven Concealment Holsters. We also stock some replacement parts for the PPS.

New PPS's come with two mags now as well!

There is also a $50 dollar mail in rebate going on as well: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10002&catalogId=13152&content=774654

Pricing and options: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=WALT

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/PPS_RCS.jpg

CaptainDooley
07-06-11, 19:22
Wow, with that rebate, getting one from you fully decked out with a holster that you don't have to wait on is a steal.

Wish I had the money to send ya...

For those interested, we have PPS's in stock and offer trigger work, night sights (factory), stippling and Raven Concealment Holsters. We also stock some replacement parts for the PPS.

New PPS's come with two mags now as well!

There is also a $50 dollar mail in rebate going on as well: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10002&catalogId=13152&content=774654

Pricing and options: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=WALT

C4