PDA

View Full Version : What is the Prefered height for Aimpoint Micro LaRue Mount?

No Bananas
04-02-11, 22:04
What is the Prefered height for Aimpoint Micro LaRue Mount?

The absolute co-witness
http://www.laruetactical.com/pics/AimpointMicroH-1Combo/ZZ225751_small.JPG

Or the 1/3 lower co-witness?
http://www.laruetactical.com/pics/AimpointMicroH-1Combo/H-1_w_LT660_small.JPG

http://www.laruetactical.com/pics/AimpointMicroH-1Combo/Micro_Chart.jpg

fyr4efct
04-02-11, 22:12
As with most things, it depends.

Do you prefer your irons to show up in the middle of your red dot, or in the lower third?

For me, I prefer my irons in the lower third. I have one carbine that has a fixed front sight, so I bought lower third for that one. I have others that are flip-up BUIS w/ Aimpoint. But because I use the same stock and desire the same cheek weld for training, I went lower third for them too.

If all I had was flip-up BUIS, I would probably go absolute.

No Bananas
04-02-11, 23:50
I should have done a poll. :blink:

YVK
04-03-11, 00:15
I do not understand absolute co-witness with AP Micro, but I think Grant stated that this is what most of his customers want - unless my memory serves me wrong.

TehLlama
04-03-11, 14:21
With CTR's and MOE's, I do run absolute cowitness with micro aimpoints. Using a folding front sight, it's not as much of a problem, and it's only because I tend to end up with my eye too low on even the iron sights, so that gives me the flexibility to shoot well from the prone.

I still run lower 1/3 when using fixed sights and an EMOD or ACS stock, since my chin seems to ride that much higher.

Belmont31R
04-03-11, 21:46
I find the lower the optic the more firm of a cheekweld you have to the stock. This aides in minimizing parallax issues and consistency from shot to shot. The negative is during recoil its easier for your eye to drop out of the sights "eye box".

A higher sight has a less firm cheek weld but allows quicker return to the eye box. For my 5.56 guns I mount my 1-4X scope in a 1.93" above rail height mount so when shooting on 1.1X I don't lose sight of the dot in 1.1X under recoil.

Some of it depends on your facial shape, too.

Last thing is an RDS and irons are two COMPLETELY different sighting systems. Don't buy into the lolipop shit some people spew. Thats the dot sitting on top of the front sight post creating a lolipop. The RDS does not need to be set on top of the front sight post. They are advertised as parallax free but are not. Just sit the gun down in a rest, and without touching the gun move your eye around. The dot will change position in relation to the target...ANA parallax. The RDS is a close in sighting system so even 1-2" parallax will not be a significant impact on rounds on target.

Eurodriver
04-03-11, 22:50
I went with lower 1/3 because I have a fixed FSP.

They are advertised as parallax free but are not. Just sit the gun down in a rest, and without touching the gun move your eye around. The dot will change position in relation to the target...ANA parallax.

At what distance? 5 yards? Yes. At 50 yards? I feel like it doesn't move at all, but 2" at 50 yards is the size of the dot, so its irrelavent.

Belmont31R
04-03-11, 23:35
I went with lower 1/3 because I have a fixed FSP.

At what distance? 5 yards? Yes. At 50 yards? I feel like it doesn't move at all, but 2" at 50 yards is the size of the dot, so its irrelavent.

100 yards.

It matters if you put the dot in the same place each shot. Irrelevant doing drills.

spm917
04-04-11, 19:47
I have a fixed front sight also. I did not like the lower 1/3 larue mount because I could not see my irons very well through the optic (aimpoint T1). I sold it and went with a absolute co-witness mount. I like it better. I feel more confident with it if I have to use irons. I shoot with both eyes open so the fixed front sight base is not that noticeable to me. I have become used to it.

HeavyDuty
04-04-11, 20:44
Last thing is an RDS and irons are two COMPLETELY different sighting systems. Don't buy into the lolipop shit some people spew. Thats the dot sitting on top of the front sight post creating a lolipop. The RDS does not need to be set on top of the front sight post. They are advertised as parallax free but are not. Just sit the gun down in a rest, and without touching the gun move your eye around. The dot will change position in relation to the target...ANA parallax. The RDS is a close in sighting system so even 1-2" parallax will not be a significant impact on rounds on target.

I advocate consistent cheekweld regardless of the sighting system being used, so the red dot will *always* be on top of the front sight post.