PDA

View Full Version : Noveske question

PrometheusSmith
04-02-11, 22:37
I am building a rifle with a Noveske 18" SPR upper half, and assembling a stripped lower receiver. It has the intermediate length gas system and a full auto carrier. I've found that Noveske usually uses a carbine length extension with a H buffer on this rifle.

Now I am at a crossroads over the choice of stock for my rifle. I'm looking at both the Magpul UBR and PRS stocks. I know that if I use the UBR I can use a carbine action spring and H buffer like comes with the Noveske rifles. The PRS looks to require a rifle extension, spring, and buffer.

My question, which the answer to will help me decide my stock choice, is has anyone had any experience or insight to using with a gas system of this length with a rifle extension, buffer, and spring. Would my rifle work reliably with a PRS stock, or should I just stick to the UBR since I know that is going to work.

Preston
(Of course I will post pics when completed)

ZRH
04-02-11, 22:57
Rifle extensions will work with any length gas system. Just dont put a carbine buffer in a rifle extension.

shootist~
04-02-11, 23:04
It should work just fine with either. Mine happens to have the UBR and H buffer and runs perfectly.

Another consideration would be the Vltor A5 extension and special buffer, which is (sort of) in-between the rifle and carbine systems. It definitely makes my 16" middy run a little softer and smoother, but I've not tried it on the 18".

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-02-11, 23:06
Have you had a chance to get behind either stock? I'd be more concerned about how they feel to you. I'm sure you can work with Noveske about particulars on set-up.

The PRS is nice because of the adjustable cheek rest, but it is long, and only gets longer. If it fits you, that's great. I like the PRS, but its length makes it more difficult to me to 'ride' the rifle. A shorter stock like the UBR helps. The rail on the bottom of the PRS is nice for a mono-pod like the Atlas.

Belmont31R
04-02-11, 23:11
I ran a UBR on my Mk12 build after initially starting out with a regular carbine extension. Ran it with standard BCM/Colt carbine springs and an H buffer. No reliability problems, and your Noveske should run fine with it also.

If you want to go with a carbine extension I highly recommend the Vltor A5 setup.

Todd.K
04-03-11, 10:27
The rifle stock and buffer will be fine, we make the NST 18" INT model with PRS stock.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/imimg/18nst-556_1d.jpg

PrometheusSmith
04-03-11, 17:42
Thanks for the replies and help. It's good to know that both stocks will work with the gas system. I've had some time with a UBR, and basing the length of pull I used on that stock, I know that the PRS won't be too long for me.