PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MBus Gen 2's,... Good or Bad?

cvriv
04-03-11, 00:42
First,... I love Magpul gear. I just bought 8 black window PMags, an ACS stock, a Moe grip, and their vertical rail grip,... really great gear at a great price.

So my question is probably a stupid one but I have to ask before I purchase. I checked youtube for reviews and from what I saw everyone likes them. Does anyone hate them and why? Its a huge difference in price.

MistoGators
04-03-11, 00:56
A huge difference in price from what? It's the same price as the gen 1 version.

Steve S.
04-03-11, 01:09
A huge difference in price from what? It's the same price as the gen 1 version.

I think he means a big difference between MBUS and traditional BUIS.

Depends on your use. I don't think Magpul even suggests taking the MBUS to combat or for Duty use. That's not saying they wouldn't stand up though...

Just don't run it on your gas block and you'll be fine.

cvriv
04-03-11, 09:14
Ehhhh,... I ended up going with a troy tritium front sight and a plain larue rear sight. Cost a hell of a lot more but,... whatever. I really wanted to try to the Magpuls,... but, im still having trouble with accepting polymer as a weapon material even though I got the other Magpul stuff,... I dont know.

Parky
04-03-11, 10:36
I had the gen1 MBUS, and though I liked some things about them, ultimately I decided that plastic is not a good material for sights, and I really disliked the front sight post configuration, though they have fixed that on the Gen2's. I just replaced them with the LWRC Skirmish sights, and I couldn't be happier with them.

Buy once, cry once. IMHO

Stickman
04-03-11, 13:12
Depends on your use. I don't think Magpul even suggests taking the MBUS to combat or for Duty use. That's not saying they wouldn't stand up though...

I've been using Magpul MBUS on my duty weapon before they were announced to the public. I don't recall Magpul ever saying not to.

The current MBUS are a nice evolution in the line.

Stickman
04-03-11, 13:14
Ehhhh,... I ended up going with a troy tritium front sight and a plain larue rear sight. Cost a hell of a lot more but,... whatever. I really wanted to try to the Magpuls,... but, im still having trouble with accepting polymer as a weapon material even though I got the other Magpul stuff,... I dont know.

Glock did a nice job of showing how well polymers work with weapons. You don't have to like it, nor do you have it use it (unless its an issued piece of equipment), but its certainly been well proven.

cvriv
04-03-11, 14:07
@ stickman - yeah I know. I have sveral polymer parts and I have a glock too. Its a nice material but still,... when I think plastic I think I cheap, toy, and breakable. I know its not breakable and this stuff is not toys but,... whatever. You know what I mean.

SteveL
04-03-11, 14:22
@ stickman - yeah I know. I have sveral polymer parts and I have a glock too. Its a nice material but still,... when I think plastic I think I cheap, toy, and breakable. I know its not breakable and this stuff is not toys but,... whatever. You know what I mean.

I read through alot of threads/posts on this forum and others trying to determine which sights I wanted to go with on my rifle and I wasn't able to find many reports of Magpul BUS failing due to being plastic. (I don't think I found any at all.) Plenty of advice not to mount them directly to a gas block, and alot of people who were skeptical of them, but that's about it. I felt the same way to begin with, but if polymer is good enough to function as the frame on an M&P, Glock, or as an AR mag, stock, grip, etc., then it should probably work quite well as a sight also.

Stickman
04-03-11, 14:52

I think I'm tracking with you on this. Just keep in mind that all polymers are not the same. When you think cheap plastic toy, there are plenty of things that fall into that category. That is one of the reasons you can buy airsoft stuff so cheap.

04-03-11, 17:22
I assuming here it is recommended that the MBUS' no matter what gen are supposed to be carried in the down position and only activated when the need arises. Would there be a problem keeping them in the upright position in a duty/service weapon? I do realize that is the purpose of the fixed BUIS but we're talking about the MBUS here.

richdkim77
04-03-11, 17:43
I've broken a Magpul MBUS Gen1 before. It was my own fault, as I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and over torqued the screw (back when they were secured by an allen head) Broke the ears right off. Magpul graciously replaced it for me, even though I had told them I was the one at fault. This seems to have been rectified by the new slotted screw design.

sonrider657
04-04-11, 07:03
The Gen 2 unit lock in the "up" position, right?

04-04-11, 07:57

Pertaining to my question, yes. Locked in the up "ready to go" position full time. Just curious on it's strength and the ability to maintain zero.

Hmac
04-04-11, 08:13

It appears that it's supposed to be held in the up position by the rather robust spring tension. The one I just received pushes down to stowed position without unlocking anything. It doesn't lock in the "up" position.

DYI01
04-04-11, 10:35
I have used the MBUS in a 22lr AR training rifle with good success. I really like the sight picture, the pop up design and just in general how simple they are to adjust and zero. I haven't used them on a rifle firing .223 or 5.56 so I can't really comment on how they hold up on a rifle shooting that ammo, but I would suspect with would hold up just fine. Saying that, I use Troy BUIS on my other AR's just because I'm paranoid about them breaking and I would rather have a BUIS made of metal vs a polymer.

cvriv
04-06-11, 00:10
So I ordered my crap from larue and got an email with a tracking number. In this email was also a total amount. A different total amount than what was in my original invoice. It appears I wasn't charged for my tritium troy combo sights!?!? This new email doesn't say what was shipped either. Just says the package weight being 7lbs. Which means the upper I ordered is in this package. Which is weird because I was told by them that the stealth upper was build to order and it would be 2-3 weeks!?!? So her I am again deciding on iron sights. Because I know they didn't give me those sights for free:)

mph405
04-06-11, 12:32
I would really like to see some comparison pics for gen1, and gen2, rears, if somebody has the time... Or if someone could point me to a thread, that would be great.