PDA

View Full Version : Glock 9mm conversion for defense?

DHart
04-03-11, 05:14
I have a G23 Gen 4, but I really don't enjoy shooting .40 in the Glocks very much and I do really like this gun, though. So I got the LW 40-9 conversion barrel, 9mm recoil spring, 9mm ejector, 9mm extractor, and spring loaded bearing. Already had plenty of 9mm mags for use with my G17 and two G19's.

So far, with a couple of hundred rounds through it with UMC 115 GR., Ranger 127 GR. +P+, and Gold Dot 124 GR. +P, the gun is stone reliable, accurate, and really comfortable to shoot in 9mm. I do like it. Essentially it gives me a third G19, but this one with the Gen 4 grip. Not that I dislike the Gen 3 G19 grip... I think its great, especially with the Talon grip tape kit. And should I ever want to shoot .40 with it, there is that versatility.

After, let's say, 750 or 1000 or 1500 rounds of trouble free reliability testing, would you feel the gun, as a caliber converted gun, is plenty good to go as a defense weapon?

It sure seems to me that at that point, it's proven to be comparable to the G19 in reliability and certainly my confidence in it as an extremely reliable defense gun will be high.

Just curious on others thoughts.

Anyone here running a caliber converted Glock as a defense gun?

I must say, the Lone Wolf 40 to 9 barrel is a great quality, beautifully made barrel. Happens to look great too.

M4arc
04-03-11, 06:47
DHart, you certainly went about it the right way, replacing the Extractor and Ejector. There are plenty of people on another website that have been (or at least claim to be) carrying a G23 with only a conversion barrel.

However the breach face it slightly bigger on the G23 which could give more than enough wiggle room to the 9mm leaving you with a random extraction issue...maybe.

But if it proves reliable over the next xxx rounds including your defensive ammo and you're comfortable then have at it.