PDA

View Full Version : New Prices

BushmasterFanBoy
09-25-07, 18:33
I just looked on TOS ammo forum, the prices are now at $480+shipping for 1k of q3131a, or even Federal AE. M855 is $599 per k, again, before shipping. This is unreal I'm honestly in shock, as a young shooter, I'm literally unable to continue my hobby in any degree beyond fondling and dry-firing. I might as well live in the UK with de-acts at this point.

Will people still buy this? How can they? My god, is there anyone who is willing to shell out six hundred dollars for 2-3 range trips? That's 200-300 DOLLARS per range trip, is there anyone who can honestly afford that? $200 dollars to shoot 11 mags? How many of you would pay that?

If people do not buy it, the prices must come down, right? Who could buy it? How can prices be that high, who the hell would purchase it? What idiot is so stupid to think that such a purchase is anything other than foolish and wasteful?

What the hell is happening?:(

I have 2k stashed and the way things look, I may buy a dedicated 22lr upper and be done with this, its pathetic, if that means no more center fire action, so be it, I'm taking my ball and going home, prison-yard-sodomy-ball ain't that fun of a game anyways.:mad:

This is just too much for me to take in at once, I can't believe its this darn expensive, I had told myself "They'll never price it above .40 per round, they can't do it, no one will buy it..." But to find that it is not only well above .40, but approaching .50, or in some cases .60, that's simply too much. :(

Submariner
09-25-07, 18:40
Try Federal Value Packs at WM for $57.88 or so for 200, if they have them, or Remington UMC for $6.47/20. For MADE IN USA it's about as good as it gets.

Earn more money or spend less on other stuff. That's about it.

BushmasterFanBoy
09-25-07, 18:43
Try Federal Value Packs at WM for $57.88 or so for 200, if they have them, or Remington UMC for $6.47/20. For MADE IN USA it's about as good as it gets.

Earn more money or spend less on other stuff. That's about it.

My WalMart carries neither.:(

PalmerB
09-25-07, 18:52
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=223-55GR-PRVI

good ammo

good price

HolyRoller
09-25-07, 18:54
Handload!

For $599 you can get:

1000xM855. Afterward, you will have 1000 pieces of brass and some happy memories.

or

Lee progressive loader with .223 dies, an RCBS small-base X-Die, a case trimmer, a powder scale, a 5# can of Reloder 15, 1000 small rifle primers, and 1000 Nosler 77gr match bullets, all from MidwayUSA. I suggest 23.9gr RL-15 and seat the 77s to just under mag length. These loads will produce half the group sizes, and (like me) you can go around bragging that you use Mk 262 just like the Navy SEALs. You HAVE been picking up your brass, haven't you?

Afterward, you will have 1000 pieces of brass, and even happier memories, and you'll still be loading quasi-Mk 262 for maybe 25 cents per round. If 55gr FMJ comes up for bulk sale again, make that 15 cents per round.

art
10-14-07, 06:19
best prices I have found are at cccammo.com

twodollarbill
10-14-07, 15:56
I think I have plenty of M855 and M193, but when is enough...enough??

Here is a link for Federal M855 for $399/1000. A few of my bud's have picked

this up......no problems.

https://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=FC-XM855-qty1000

It looks nice and soon it will be gone like the rest.

mactastic
10-20-07, 13:41
My outlook on that is people need to do what it takes to earn the money to support whatever hobbies they have.

Don't cry, get a higher paying job to support your habit

Shihan
10-21-07, 13:38
I think I have plenty of M855 and M193, but when is enough...enough??

Here is a link for Federal M855 for $399/1000. A few of my bud's have picked

this up......no problems.

https://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=FC-XM855-qty1000

It looks nice and soon it will be gone like the rest.

Whats amazing with whts happned wth prices is that these are Pull Downs and people are still paying through the nose for them.

hatt
10-22-07, 17:49
I was at Gander Mountain yesterday and they had Q3131 at $12.99 a box.:eek: Wolk was "only" $5.75 or something like that. Being that the Q3131 was higher than the Win 30-30 I think material cost have little to do with the price increase.

R Moran
10-22-07, 19:59
What the hell is happening?:(

The war.

I wonder exactly how much you could buy from Colt or Winchester during WW2

Bob

FlyAndFight
10-23-07, 10:06
I agree that the prices are getting ridiculous. Luckily, I purchased the bulk of my .223 ammo before prices skyrocketed. What I've done in the interim is purchase small batches here and there. Every trip to Wally World, regardless for what, will include the purchase of a few boxes of .223 and 9mm.

I won't be paying the $450+ per 1000rds in one order, though. Supply and Demand are the key here. If people continue paying for it, prices will continue to skyrocket.

I recommend you get yourself a .22LR and an AK-74. Ammo for both is significantly cheaper. Even non-corrosive 5.45 X 39 ammo is a deal compared to the .223 prices out there now.

flanntastic
10-24-07, 15:03
there is some Prvi coming soon, it should be in the $325 area,

Joe Mamma
10-25-07, 15:09
there is some Prvi coming soon, it should be in the $325 area,

Let us know when and where it lands.

Joe Mamma

markm
10-25-07, 15:35
Shoot less. I'm surprised at how some people go out and blast thru 5.56 ammo like it's 22 LR.

rmecapn
10-26-07, 11:05
Buy a Ceiner kit. That's what I did. Blackdog Machine makes mags for it that are identical in size to standard 30 round 5.56 mags.

BushmasterFanBoy
10-26-07, 15:47
Shoot less. I'm surprised at how some people go out and blast thru 5.56 ammo like it's 22 LR.

I shoot about 2k of 5.56 in a year. I go shooting 1 or 2 times a month for about 6 months out of the year, usually with 220-300 rounds a trip. That's perhaps 6-12 (leaning towards 12:D ) range trips annually with 2-300 rounds each. If thats pissing through ammo, then I don't want to see what conserving it looks like.:(

toddackerman
10-26-07, 17:49
Ya' gotta start reloading. Even with component prices up 25%, after you amortize the cost of processed, once fired brass over 6 reloads, the final cost with delivery and Haz Mat fees is still under $200/ 1,000.

Tack

ricky_arthur
11-07-07, 20:40
The other plus to realoading is that on top of the cheaper Per round costs, the individual components can be picked up a little here a little there and put together whenever time permits. I can usually grab a 15$ 1lb can of powder or 30$ box of bulk Bullets or a few thousand Primers without too much budget distress. Whenever I see a good deal I will grab 1000 once fired brass for next to nothing. Then when I get board I set in front of the TV (Like I did today for about 4 hours) and trim etc.. Very relaxing for me. The 400$ I shelled out for 1000 Frangible is the first centerfire ammo purchase i have made in years. and was Very stressfull:p It was mostly a result of the scarcity of ammo and a desire to have some on hand to store.

" 223 FRANGIBLE U.S.G.I. - 50 GRAIN BULLET
REDUCED RICOCHET - LOW PENETRATION
UNITED STATES GOVT. ISSUE IN SEALED G.I. AMMO CANS
GREAT FOR INDOOR RANGES - BRAND NEW (SEE PICS)

FANTASTIC VARMINT, CLOSE QUARTERS
OR HOME DEFENSE ROUND"

I hope I like this ammo anyone else try it?

Ricky

markm
11-08-07, 12:32
I hope I like this ammo anyone else try it?

Sounds like the Federal NT round. Very good ammo. And the brass is good for reloading... not like the FC brass on the old commercial federal American eagle.

This round will tear up 1/4" mild steel targets... nearly penetrates them. It will penetrate 2X4s turned sideways and still hit a gong. On heavier duty gongs, it just leaves small copper colored stain where the bullet hits.

There's a lot of misinformation on Bad frangible out there. (Kabooms and poor accuracy) But this stuff is not the same ammo that many of the booger eaters will mistake it for.

I shot a sub 2moa group at 100 yards with an 11.5" 1/7 twist barrel using irons with this stuff... just to disprove the inaccuracy babble that people were posting on TOS.

toddackerman
11-08-07, 14:17
Sounds like the Federal NT round. Very good ammo. And the brass is good for reloading... not like the FC brass on the old commercial federal American eagle.

This round will tear up 1/4" mild steel targets... nearly penetrates them. It will penetrate 2X4s turned sideways and still hit a gong. On heavier duty gongs, it just leaves small copper colored stain where the bullet hits.

There's a lot of misinformation on Bad frangible out there. (Kabooms and poor accuracy) But this stuff is not the same ammo that many of the booger eaters will mistake it for.

I shot a sub 2moa group at 100 yards with an 11.5" 1/7 twist barrel using irons with this stuff... just to disprove the inaccuracy babble that people were posting on TOS.

Note.....This is second hand from one of the more reputable barrel manufacturers on this sight, but believed to be deemed credible...

"Frangible ammo will significantly increase the wear and burn out of your barrel."

My MRP barrels are $466.00 (plus a new bolt). I treat them with kid gloves, and this is why I am scaling down my practice ammo loads to just be able to cycle the weapon. Nothing more, and nothing less. Nothing more is needed IMO.

That being said, I can't tell the difference between a 3200 FPS load, and a 2800 FPS load when training. The difference in recoil is negligible, so I don't think I'm giving up any "SHTF" experience that will make me less likely to handle any appreciable recoil.

Tack

markm
11-08-07, 14:28
Note.....This is second hand from one of the more reputable barrel manufacturers on this sight, but believed to be deemed credible...

"Frangible ammo will significantly increase the wear and burn out of your barrel."

That is quite possible. But I'd need more info on the specifics on why that is.

If the individual is talking about the actual compressed material erroding the barrel, well, Federal NTs have a jacket over the Frangible portion of the bullet. So I'd guess it'd be no worse than any other long, copper jacketed bullet.

I'd have to have more info before I could understand that broad statment.