PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P Pro/L 9mm with a thumb safety??

R-762wt
04-03-11, 07:18
Currently I have a Full Size with a thumb safety. I would like to have a Pro/L with a thumb safety for 3 guns and IDPA .Does anyone know if you can fit an full size thumb safety model to a Pro/L barrel and slide and Have it work? Is there a possibility of ordering a pistol directly from S&W with this feature?

I don't understand why they don't offer this feature on a Pro/L already. It seems like it would give S&W another way to take away from the Glock 34 market share.

My fingers are crossed that a solution can be found.

zk556x45
04-03-11, 08:20
I've seen an M&P 40 Pro slide run on a full-size 9mm frame w/ thumb-safety without any trouble.

zk

8th
04-03-11, 11:59
I know a guy who has about 1,500 rds through a fullsize frame thumbsafety with a Pro upper on it. Trouble free.

R-762wt
04-03-11, 12:24
Sounds good guys. Now I just need to figure out how to combine the two in a cost effective manner.

Magsz
04-03-11, 12:33
Sounds good guys. Now I just need to figure out how to combine the two in a cost effective manner.

Thats the kicker right there.

You're probably going to want to go ahead and buy your 5 inch option, then buy a 4.25 inch gun with a thumb safety, swap out the lowers and sell the 4.25 inch complete gun.

You're GOING to take a hit doing it this way but there is really no other option.

Also, these combinations are NOT legal for production (as far as i know) so if you're serious about competing please be aware.

dirt_diver
04-03-11, 14:13
Why do you want the safety? I too like the safety (I carry M&P and HK45c both with TS) and have thought of doing the swap, but I came to the conclusion that I should decide what I wanted to get out of competing: either practice with my carry or being as competitive as possible.
YMMV

R-762wt
04-03-11, 14:53
I like having an active safety. It has been drilled into my head after years of using 1911's, M9's, AR's...etc. They all go click before they go bang. I had a non thumb safety M&P and constantly found myself sweeping the side of the frame so I traded it for the standard size I have now. I also like the thumb safety as a means of indexing the frame, it gives my thumb a place to rest and I can grip the pistol harder. I really notice a difference when shooting single handed it is a lot more controllable, and just feels more ergonomic in the hand (my hand anyway).

dirt_diver
04-03-11, 17:02
I totally agree with all of the benefits you feel the TS gives you.
The main thing I kept asking myself is does the longer slide really give you that much of an advantage.
For me, being able to use my carry piece, coupled with the cost savings of not having to buy two to create one just didn't make the cut.